I live in Florida and I've been keeping my clubs in the trunk for YEARS!

madeinguam81

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've read that this isn't good for the clubs; the epoxy can loosen; and other threats BUT for me at least, I'm more than ok with the risk.  I'm on the road daily and I love the flexibility to hit the range or play a quick round whenever time allows.  Not only that, being able to keep the sticks hidden from the wife means fewer "fun" conversations where I have to answer the question "Is that a new golf club and/or bag?"

For what it's worth, I've never had an issue in the years that I've kept all my clubs in the trunk.  Don't know if dumb luck or if the potential damage talk is thrown out of proportion.  

Edited by madeinguam81
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

I keep mine in the trunk in TX, never really had an issue. I agree with the convenience factor. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I think a lot of this is just old wives tales. As has been mentioned i don't think trunk temps can approach the melting point for epoxy

Some dude in the early days of the internet probably a head fly off for some other reason after keeping clubs in the trunk, and we've all been suckers ever since

I've also heard that keeping them in there in the winter is bad, as the epoxy can crack. No idea if this is true.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

16 hours ago, farmer said:

Back in the day, grips turned slick and rock hard after extended trunk time.  Wood would dry out and the screws would get loose.  Modern grips must not suffer, and the hottest trunk doesn't approach epoxy break temps.  If it works for you, then it works for you.

And balata golf balls....

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Mizuno S23 51

Mizuno S22 54

Edel SMS 58
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

I grew up in the southeast, and although I've never had an issue with epoxy loosening I have noticed that clubs will rust a lot quicker if left in the trunk (especially during humid months).

I had a few old satin finished wedges that had been taken out of play and were just left in purgatory in my trunk. After a few months they developed some major rust spots on the face. It wasn't anything a little scrubbing with a wire brush couldn't remove, but it was a good reminder to always bring my clubs inside after the round. 

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I think a lot of this is just old wives tales. As has been mentioned i don't think trunk temps can approach the melting point for epoxy

Some dude in the early days of the internet probably a head fly off for some other reason after keeping clubs in the trunk, and we've all been suckers ever since

I've also heard that keeping them in there in the winter is bad, as the epoxy can crack. No idea if this is true.

I agree. Just another excuse for people who are not properly trained in club repair to explain heads flying off.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

I had some Golf Pride Victory grips melt in trunk in the late 70’s in WV.

I never understood why anyone liked these, although I did play the full cords for a bit.  They had a shelf life of about 1 year under good conditions before they would get slick, turn to a crumbly clay like substance and fall apart.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

I think people stopped calling them sticks years ago.  Could be wrong. 

Calling clubs sticks is alive and well in Georgia.  

"New sticks?"

"If you are going to the club will you grab my sticks for our trip?"

These days I leave my clubs (sticks), in the bag room, but for years always had them in the back of an SUV.  They never got stolen, never had a head fall off, and the grips NEVER got changed.  This issue was the grips were like greased lightning due to excessive wear, not from cracking.

Side story on grips....  When i finally got both good enough and interested enough, I changed grips after 7 years to Golf Pride New Decade MCC Midsize right before a long golf trip to Northern MIchigan (Treetops, Forest Dunes, Otsego, Arcadia Bluffs).  It was just 4 holes in on the first course when my right ring finger was getting SHREDDED.  Fortunately someone in the group has tape in his bag and i made it.  Always carry a few rolls of tape in the bag now.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

The only time my clubs leave my trunk are,

1.  When there is snow on the ground. Usually about 4 weeks a year.  This is when re-gripping usually occurs.  

2.  When I am running to the hardware store to buy large bags of fertilizer or mulch or something. 

3.  Road trip and I am not playing golf, the wife always over packs.  

I'm in the same boat with overpacking wife! Ha

I live in SW Missouri where it can get hot or cold. My bag usually resides inside my SUV or my garage. My SUV is parked inside the garage. Never had a problem with clubs or grips. However, I store my balls inside the house until they are needed.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I'm in the UK so I leave mine in the boot 😂 Admittedly we don't get the extreme heat you chaps do in Florida, but it can go from below zero in winter to 30 degrees + in summer, and honestly never had an issue - other than the wife moaning when we go shopping and there isn't any room in there for the stuff we've bought....

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I never leave my clubs in my car overnight for fear of it being stolen.  I don't have space to put it in my trunk so I put my golf bag in the back seat and cover it with a bedsheet for the times I do put it in my car.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

17 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Calling clubs sticks is alive and well in Georgia.  

"New sticks?"

"If you are going to the club will you grab my sticks for our trip?"

These days I leave my clubs (sticks), in the bag room, but for years always had them in the back of an SUV.  They never got stolen, never had a head fall off, and the grips NEVER got changed.  This issue was the grips were like greased lightning due to excessive wear, not from cracking.

Side story on grips....  When i finally got both good enough and interested enough, I changed grips after 7 years to Golf Pride New Decade MCC Midsize right before a long golf trip to Northern MIchigan (Treetops, Forest Dunes, Otsego, Arcadia Bluffs).  It was just 4 holes in on the first course when my right ring finger was getting SHREDDED.  Fortunately someone in the group has tape in his bag and i made it.  Always carry a few rolls of tape in the bag now.  

Yes, Charles Howell III calls them sticks.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, br61 said:

I'm in the same boat with overpacking wife! Ha

I live in SW Missouri where it can get hot or cold. My bag usually resides inside my SUV or my garage. My SUV is parked inside the garage. Never had a problem with clubs or grips. However, I store my balls inside the house until they are needed.

Good point about the balls.  In the winter if I know I am playing and the temp is pretty chilly I will bring some balls from the house or set them in the dashboard of the car in the sun to warm them up.  If I am playing in the afternoon I will bring 2 or 3 of them into the office with me to keep warm before I head out. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I’m really not sure why you don’t see this as an opportunity to have a home bag and road bag. 

golfwrx membership revoked!

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

On 8/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ferguson said:

I think people stopped calling them sticks years ago.  Could be wrong. 

I travel and play throughout the northern and southern states, and hear the term sticks everywhere. YMMV

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On 8/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, madeinguam81 said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've read that this isn't good for the clubs; the epoxy can loosen; and other threats BUT for me at least, I'm more than ok with the risk.  I'm on the road daily and I love the flexibility to hit the range or play a quick round whenever time allows.  Not only that, being able to keep the sticks hidden from the wife means fewer "fun" conversations where I have to answer the question "Is that a new golf club and/or bag?"

For what it's worth, I've never had an issue in the years that I've kept all my clubs in the trunk.  Don't know if dumb luck or if the potential damage talk is thrown out of proportion.  

I live in SOCA, where extreme (temps as high as 120) may heat up the car, then there's humidity, rain, and the proverbial thieves that look to be a pain in one's azz... Since taking up the game 30+years ago, 99% of the time my clubs which cost over 3k, lie anxiously in the trunk of my daily driver waiting to see the light of the day. 

IMO - some people are anal where anal is more about fear this or that may happen.  The epoxy used to build clubs today is far superior, then years past. 

Like you, I never had an issue that would suggest any club(s) may fail.  I keep the bag cover on the bag at all times, so even ding marks are kept to a minimum.  Thankfully, I am not in a position where my golf bag or the cost of its contents is a concern of my wife.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 8/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, farmer said:

...and the hottest trunk doesn't approach epoxy break temps.  If it works for you, then it works for you.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:34 AM, MtlJeff said:

Not necessarily true IMO. Many store bought epoxies that people use frequently as well as some "premium" ones have breakdown temps in the 150*-200* range, and several Loctite epoxies have a "long term exposure" rating of lower than 150*. 

I have lasered internal car temps at 130-140*+ on "normal" hot days (between 80-90* outdoor temperature). Some of that relies on direct sunlight, which you obviously won't get in a trunk, but the fact that the quicker setting Loctite epoxy has a long term exposure limit of 120* means that not only do hot trunks approach this threshold, they can exceed it. This is also assuming perfect mixing, prep, and curing, which can often be subject to variability. 

If you have epoxies rated high enough in terms of breakdown temp then it is a non-issue, but there are many common epoxies out there that shouldn't be subject to this, and if you don't know what was used to build your clubs then it is always a risk. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant