I live in Florida and I've been keeping my clubs in the trunk for YEARS!

madeinguam81

2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Not necessarily true IMO. Many store bought epoxies that people use frequently as well as some "premium" ones have breakdown temps in the 150*-200* range, and several Loctite epoxies have a "long term exposure" rating of lower than 150*. 

I have lasered internal car temps at 130-140*+ on "normal" hot days (between 80-90* outdoor temperature). Some of that relies on direct sunlight, which you obviously won't get in a trunk, but the fact that the quicker setting Loctite epoxy has a long term exposure limit of 120* means that not only do hot trunks approach this threshold, they can exceed it. This is also assuming perfect mixing, prep, and curing, which can often be subject to variability. 

If you have epoxies rated high enough in terms of breakdown temp then it is a non-issue, but there are many common epoxies out there that shouldn't be subject to this, and if you don't know what was used to build your clubs then it is always a risk. 

The lesson as always, is never trust anything old wives say

• Haha 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The lesson as always, is never trust anything old wives say

My old boss (who I used to golf with) told me to stop cracking my knuckles because I was going to get arthritis. I told him he was old and dumb (paraphrasing). 😆

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

7 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

My old boss (who I used to golf with) told me to stop cracking my knuckles because I was going to get arthritis. I told him he was old and dumb (paraphrasing). 😆

How quickly did he become your EX-boss ? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Earlier this year I had a sim2 driver head fly off and actually into a pond.  It was at the edge and I was able to get it back no problem.  It made me wonder.  Was it that I leave them in the car or just a bad epoxy job from the factory?  I wonder about it but not enough to lug the clubs in after every round.  

Even if the heat doesn't do damage as  some have suggested, and if you clean the clubs and grips regularly after a round for performance and longevity, I'd be concerned about theft. At least a few times a year I read threads of guys crying the blues that their clubs were stolen from their trunk, at home or elsewhere.  And i know guys who had them stolen from supposedly quite secure condo garages.

I take them out of my vehicle every time from our "secure" condo parking garage, even if I'm playing the next day. If I'm traveling and renting a vehicle (those were the days!) I decline an SUV if it doesn't have a canopy cover for the rear area.

Tough anytime replacing even stock clubs on vacation. Try replacing the same clubs quckly  during Covid times home or elsewhere,  even all stock. Even if you have the cash or adequate insurance.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, Ferguson said:

I think people stopped calling them sticks years ago.  Could be wrong. 

Swinging the sticks up here in Canada too! 😎

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I also keep my clubs in the car 99% of the time in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. And also practice the don’t ask don’t tell policy with wifey regarding sneaking in new clubs, rounds, and range sessions. 🤣

The only exception is during the Winter when it’s freezing cold here in the frozen tundra of Canada and I keep the clubs in the house, and when I take them out for cleaning.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I have the pet theory that storage of clubs in hot cars is actually more the norm than not. Only us WRXers would even be having this sort of discussion.

If heads flying off and grips turning to dust was the inevitable outcome, we'd all know about it. But, it seems those symptoms are pretty rare.

I have no doubt that heat can accelerate the wear of grips, but I store my clubs in the car and the grips last multiple seasons (typically Lamkin Crosslines). I don't use more "modern" grips with fancier rubber compounds, so I can't say how they handle the heat.

Oh yeah -about those victory grips. I've never seen one that wasn't slick.

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

How quickly did he become your EX-boss ? :classic_laugh:

We had a friendly relationship including on the course trash talk, so non-issue thankfully. 😅

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

22 hours ago, cgasucks said:

I never leave my clubs in my car overnight for fear of it being stolen.  I don't have space to put it in my truck so I put my golf bag in the back seat and cover it with a bedsheet for the times I do put it in my car.

Get a decked system.  The big slider(even on the short bed full size) is big enough for your bag to go in and lock either with their locks or because the tailgate is locked.   I am ordering one after checking fit last week, the truck has been a PITA with the clubs going on the backseat or in the floorboard of the back seat.  I pulled the tonneau cover and added a topper and will put the decked system in.

Now I have a walking sized bag, so a larger bag may not fit in the drawer.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

51 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Get a decked system.  The big slider(even on the short bed full size) is big enough for your bag to go in and lock either with their locks or because the tailgate is locked.   I am ordering one after checking fit last week, the truck has been a PITA with the clubs going on the backseat or in the floorboard of the back seat.  I pulled the tonneau cover and added a topper and will put the decked system in.

Now I have a walking sized bag, so a larger bag may not fit in the drawer.

I don't drive a truck.  I meant to spell the word "trunk", not "truck" in my original post.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Headline:

FLORIDA MAN caught by his wife with a bunch of "sticks" in his trunk 😄 😄 😄 

I like to keep my clubs in my car as well.  the convince factor is the biggest kicker for me.  

Driver (10.5): Taylormade SIM2 (Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S)
3-Wood (13.5): Taylormade SIM2 TI (Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X)
Irons (2I, 4I-7I, 8I-PW): Mizuno MP-20/MMC/HMB (Steelfiber i95 Stiff)
GW (51/11): Cleveland CBX 2 (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
SW (56/12): Cleveland CBX Full Face (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
LW (62/6): Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack (Steelfiber i70 Stiff)
Putter: Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 Center Shaft
Ball: Pro V1x Left Dash

On 8/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, Gsea said:

who cares

Apparently you do enough to comment. 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

My sticks stay under the bed cover 365 days or the year.  My truck bed ( the non work one ) is carpeted.  So same as a huge trunk.  Never an issue. And I’m in Upstate sc.  it’s 732 pm and 92 degrees right now with humidity to make it feel like 103.  Were pretty resilient here.  It’s just the way it is. Same as Florida.  It’s hot in August.  Life goes on. 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The only heads I can remember flying off are several.  The first was the head on my Tisi 5-wood.  That was last year.  The epoxy just simply gave out, but I'll cut it slack because of its age.  The second, this year, was my sons Eye2 5-iron that was made in 1984 that had rusted from the inside and snapped just above the hosel.  Again, I'll cut it slack because of its age.  I re-epoxied 'em and its all good. 

The only time I don't keep the clubs in the car is winter, which is quite cold.  It isn't Canada cold, but there is always a week or two where it struggles to get to 0 degrees (f).  I figure that the cold would impact it more than the heat. 

I do keep balls inside.  When those are cold, it is very much a struggle for distance.

I leave mine in the car when I know I'll get out and use them. Take em inside when I can't play for awhile or I know it's getting crazy hot. SE LA gets brutal. "Winter" here doesn't bother me in this context at all.

What I really don't want is for them to get stolen or some other random accident befall them. They're basically my only toys.

Edited by Justsomeguy

Mine go in the trunk the day golf courses around here open and come out when they close. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

38 minutes ago, buckeyevalley said:

I used to keep mine in the trunk here in Ohio but started to bring them inside about 5 years ago.  The only thing I have noticed is I no longer have the occasional loose ferrule.  

Yes.  Extreme temperatures will degrade epoxy over time.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I've lived in Florida my entire life and I've played for 30 years. I've always kept my clubs in my car and never had any issues with the heat effecting my STICKS. 

However, I had my car stolen a few years ago...I got my car back, buy not my clubs. 12 month old set of fitted Mizuno irons, a brand new fitted TS3 Driver, my bag, balls, shows, range finder, etc. SUCKED!

So don't worry about the heat.. worry about thugs.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:08 AM, Jmccas said:

I’m really not sure why you don’t see this as an opportunity to have a home bag and road bag. 

golfwrx membership revoked!

Did you miss the mention of his wife? You think he can actually have two sets of clubs if he's using his trunk to hide purchases 😉

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

On the subject of shoes, I had to keep several pair in a storage unit for a year.  Not climate controlled.  Several of the soles separated from the shoes, and a coupe of the Nikes' hard plastic portions (heel cups, etc.) shattered like glass.  Strangest thing.  I don't leave Nike shoes in the trunk anymore!  Probably best not to leave any shoes in there.  I've read that putting a radiant barrier over the top of everything in the trunk makes a big difference, but I haven't tried it yet.

I generally don't leave them in the car. I suppose I could leave them in my Jeep, because I park that in the garage. But I can't fit them in the trunk, because it's a 2dr Wrangler and my wife's purse will barely fit in that trunk lol.

The other car is a Ford Flex, and although it's got tinted windows in the rear (and I park it in the driveway in reverse with the rear facing the garage away from the sidewalk) it's still somewhere that a thief could see into. I'll occasionally do it overnight if I'm going to need them two days in a row, but that's not very common. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

16 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Mine go in the trunk the day golf courses around here open and come out when they close. 

Same. Never had an issue. Shoes and pushcart stay in too.

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom