Budget friendly clubs in Chicago western suburbs

knappabn

I'll open with my current club situation:

• Mid Atlantic
  • Limited membership (after 2pm) $340/month, $2k initiation
  • Pay for carts, no additional fees for walking
  • Great practice facility
  • Decent pool/dining/fitness (these amenities are accessible anytime)

I'm relocating with my family to the Chicago area, I'm over 40, with a wife and young daughter. We're social, and hope to find a club that is friendly and fun, not too stufffy. 

We will likely live somewhere in the Schaumburg to Naperville area, possibly a bit closer in depending on schools. 

I'm aware that clubs in the area are quite a bit different and pricier than where I'm coming from, but am open to any suggestions for where I may be able to get close to the situation I have presently. 

Thanks!

Most of the clubs around here that meets all those requirements are significantly higher than what you're paying.  Itasca is probably the cheapest club in the area you're asking for,  it's about double what you're currently paying.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Most of the clubs around here that meets all those requirements are significantly higher than what you're paying.  Itasca is probably the cheapest club in the area you're asking for,  it's about double what you're currently paying.

That's what I had been seeing. I think I can comfortably go to double and appreciate your suggestion of Itasca. 

4 minutes ago, knappabn said:

That's what I had been seeing. I think I can comfortably go to double and appreciate your suggestion of Itasca. 

There might be some others if you're willing to drive out a little farther.  Unfortunately it seems like a lot of clubs had a huge uptick the last few years and are now back to waiting lists and charging high dollar.  Naperville for example is probably a middle of the road club price wise and it's 10k to join and almost $1000 a month.  

If you want to go south Flossmore, Idlewild, Beverly might be worth exploring.  Also if you're under 40 some of these clubs have junior memberships.  Public golf around here is getting draining with the overly long rounds, so I've been exploring the options myself.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

There might be some others if you're willing to drive out a little farther.  Unfortunately it seems like a lot of clubs had a huge uptick the last few years and are now back to waiting lists and charging high dollar.  Naperville for example is probably a middle of the road club price wise and it's 10k to join and almost $1000 a month.  

If you want to go south Flossmore, Idlewild, Beverly might be worth exploring.  Also if you're under 40 some of these clubs have junior memberships.  Public golf around here is getting draining with the overly long rounds, so I've been exploring the options myself.  

I've been so spoiled not having to deal with the influx on public courses, it'd be hard to go back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

Naperville country club. Great deal for "jr" membership, not exactly sure what it goes up to over 40, but I can't imagine it being too bad considering the deals they have for under 40. Would have joined if I didn't move out of the area. 

I had assumed Naperville CC would be out of my price range, but I emailed them for information. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Morris Country Club would be in your price range, but might not have everything else that you're looking for including being a bit further than you might want it to be. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 3 weeks later...

Morris is an option although far. Not sure what Aurora CC is now, their new GM last year is trying to get the place going and I'm sure it is close to full after Covid gave everyone a lot of business.

Also check out Bolingbrook GC as they are public, but have memberships for unlimited play. Nice links layout.

• Like 1

With money being a factor, be sure to inquire about cart, locker, mill river, hole in one insurance, assessments, and all of the other usual fees. 

At Naperville CC they are fairly proud of their caddy program. That may mean you cannot walk with your own bag during certain times throughout the week. Just another thing to check out if the dues and initiation have it as an option.

best of luck 

12 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

With money being a factor, be sure to inquire about cart, locker, mill river, hole in one insurance, assessments, and all of the other usual fees. 

At Naperville CC they are fairly proud of their caddy program. That may mean you cannot walk with your own bag during certain times throughout the week. Just another thing to check out if the dues and initiation have it as an option.

best of luck 

I walked last Friday morning, in a 5sum (played in 3.5 hours), without a caddy. They are pretty relaxed about all that stuff. 

On 9/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, BTee17 said:

Let me know if you ended up looking into Itasca and what the latest is regarding their cost structure.  Looked into them a couple years ago and it was $0 initiation and $395 for Juniors, I believe around $700 for over 40.

One facilities fee and a locker room fee and I believe carts were the only other expense.

I just talked to them not long ago.   No initiation,  all said and done between food,  locker room,  handicap and yearly dues it's just under 8k a year. If you're over 40. The under 40 break isn't much.  They currently have a waiting list.  

If you want to add spouse or family there's additional fees.  Even with their raised pricing,  it's still one of the cheaper private clubs.

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

16 hours ago, mauiman said:

Anyone know how much Glen Oak is in Glen Ellyn?

I don't have the info anymore cause it was out of my league, and it may have changed this year, but they were close to what Naperville was last I checked.  Naperville is 10k down and about $1000 a month if you're outside the junior membership range.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 9/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, MountainKing said:

I just talked to them not long ago.   No initiation,  all said and done between food,  locker room,  handicap and yearly dues it's just under 8k a year. If you're over 40. The under 40 break isn't much.  They currently have a waiting list.  

If you want to add spouse or family there's additional fees.  Even with their raised pricing,  it's still one of the cheaper private clubs.

Do you recall what the cost was to add the family?  Access to the pool would be key in getting the wife on board.

Any idea if that $395 dues was still accurate for under 40?

Thanks for the info!

20 minutes ago, BTee17 said:

Do you recall what the cost was to add the family?  Access to the pool would be key in getting the wife on board.

Any idea if that $395 dues was still accurate for under 40?

Thanks for the info!

No it's not.   Under 40, with the required food is a little past 6k for the year.   

$4050 dues

$1500 food minimum

$595 locker

$50 cdga

$300 to add spouse

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 9/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, MountainKing said:

No it's not.   Under 40, with the required food is a little past 6k for the year.   

$4050 dues

$1500 food minimum

$595 locker

$50 cdga

$300 to add spouse

Appreciate the detailed costs. Looks like it’s actually slightly less than it was when Checked them out a year ago. 

I believe they had a driving range and facilities fee at the time. Although I think the food and bev spend was much lower as they claimed since it was a public restaurant they kept it low. 

carts were $24 or $26 I believe 

13 hours ago, BTee17 said:

Appreciate the detailed costs. Looks like it’s actually slightly less than it was when Checked them out a year ago. 

I believe they had a driving range and facilities fee at the time. Although I think the food and bev spend was much lower as they claimed since it was a public restaurant they kept it low. 

carts were $24 or $26 I believe 

There have been serious talks of selling off a portion or all of the course.  Either way, I recommend playing the course before joining.  If this were a public course, it would be your every day $50-$70 course.  Conditions are real nice and I like to play there, but the course is your typical tree lined fairways with holes side by side.  The employees are awesome and the restaurant is excellent. 

2 hours ago, Shriner said:

There have been serious talks of selling off a portion or all of the course.  Either way, I recommend playing the course before joining.  If this were a public course, it would be your every day $50-$70 course.  Conditions are real nice and I like to play there, but the course is your typical tree lined fairways with holes side by side.  The employees are awesome and the restaurant is excellent. 

As of now those plans are on hold.  There's been a lot of push back from the residents and village board on doing what they wanted to do.  I don't think it'll be around 10 years from now, which is probably why they moved away from initiation fees and went to a year fee structure?  

You're probably right on the layout, it's an old school layout. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

As of now those plans are on hold.  There's been a lot of push back from the residents and village board on doing what they wanted to do.  I don't think it'll be around 10 years from now, which is probably why they moved away from initiation fees and went to a year fee structure?  

You're probably right on the layout, it's an old school layout. 

They did that when they were struggling to get new members.  They filled up almost immediately because it was so cheap.  That now leads to the issue of having a packed tee sheet, which is what you would want to avoid by joining a private course.  

Private courses aren't for me.  I like to play different courses and we have a plethora of public courses that are better than alot of the privates anyway.  That being said, I'd be careful about joining here due to the courses issues (Flooding, packed tee sheet, layout, etc)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shriner said:

They did that when they were struggling to get new members.  They filled up almost immediately because it was so cheap.  That now leads to the issue of having a packed tee sheet, which is what you would want to avoid by joining a private course.  

Private courses aren't for me.  I like to play different courses and we have a plethora of public courses that are better than alot of the privates anyway.  That being said, I'd be careful about joining here due to the courses issues (Flooding, packed tee sheet, layout, etc)

Their membership is full right now so best anybody can do is a waiting list.  I think a lot of clubs have maxed out in the last couple of years.  I go back and forth, there's numerous things that are appealing about the private life, but I do like playing different courses.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Their membership is full right now so best anybody can do is a waiting list.  I think a lot of clubs have maxed out in the last couple of years.  I go back and forth, there's numerous things that are appealing about the private life, but I do like playing different courses.  

My wife and I joined a club with about 150-200 members and it is great. I go out at 730 am on the weekend and have the place to my self. Evenings the course is empty. We got really lucky. We were about to put money down on a waitlist for a different club. The other course may be a better layout and more amenities but we found out there is a lottery for weekend times. To me that defeats the entire purpose of joining somewhere. If it is busy there is no point, might as well play public golf and play a variety of courses. I couldn't imagine joining a place, paying monthly dues, and then fighting for tee times.  

• Like 1

Tee times seem to be required at most clubs when they weren't before.

where are you located now mci711?

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 9/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, MountainKing said:

I don't have the info anymore cause it was out of my league, and it may have changed this year, but they were close to what Naperville was last I checked.  Naperville is 10k down and about $1000 a month if you're outside the junior membership range.

My info from 1.5 years ago from a friend was that Glen Oak was another level completely from Naperville CC.  Much more expensive.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

14 minutes ago, geochitown said:

My info from 1.5 years ago from a friend was that Glen Oak was another level completely from Naperville CC.  Much more expensive.

It's possible, when I've been looking when I get info that's ridiculous I moved it right to the trash bin lol

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 9/15/2021 at 1:25 PM, MountainKing said:

Have they said what the membership numbers are at or how long the waitlist is?  When I looked into them in the fall of '20 they had around 250 members and told me the wait list was "a couple a months"

I did some digging after and did see the Data Center issue, however as stated there is no initiation fee so if/when that happens you just resign your membership and aren't out $5 or $10k.

I didn't mind the course but it is your traditional parkland style course.  Didn't get a good look at the pool but it seemed nice from the photos.

The tee time thing did scare me as it seemed crowded on a weekday in November and someone stated tee times were hard to come by. As you said that's the whole point in paying all this money is to be able to get on easily.  The lack of worrying about a caddy program made me think maybe it would be easier as people will show and go or play quick with carts etc.

It's the only truly affordable club in the area so it's slim pickens if you're looking to stay in that price range.