Boonie style hat or bucket hat for sun protection?

Which do you prefer for sun protection? I want to like the boonie style hat, but I find the wider brim distracting. Admittedly I haven't tried a wide range of the options available & really want to try the Sheltas, but the cost is a bit high if I'm not sure I'll like it. The bucket hat is what my dad & his buddies wore when I was a teenager & who wants to wear what his dad wore? But maybe that would be a better solution...

I've been wearing the imperial Old Norse this summer. First time ever wearing a wide brim hat. It was a bit distracting my first time wearing it, but after a round or two I stopped noticing it. 

I will say I feel much better after a round by not having the sun beat down on my face and neck as much. 

I try to play all summer in NC, so it can be hot and humid. The wide brim definitely helps. I've also now played 2 rounds with some sun sleeves. They also make a big difference, plus they help keep some sweat off your hands.

• Like 3

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made Original One 13.5* Aldila ATX 75X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TS3 20* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist T-MB 4, 5 Recoil Proto 110 F5                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Honma TR20V 6-11 Recoil Proto 125 F5                                  Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* Recoil Wedge Proto F5                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Taylor Made Spider FCG L-Neck

16 minutes ago, cflo2382 said:

The PING Boonie hat is great. Fits well and you can tighten it if needed. I have the grey one although it's more of a beige/grey, IMO. They offer white, too. Wish they offered some more colors and I'd have a few of them.

I have this one as well.  It does the job and protects the ears and neck well.  Flaps a bit while riding in the cart. I picked it up during a sale on TGW

• Like 2

Anybody know of any golf companies that make 2XL sun hats? I've been on a search but haven't found much with my globe of a head

• Like 2

Driver Cobra RadSpeed 9.0* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Fairway: Cobra RadSpeed 3w / Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Utility Srixon ZX 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10TX
Irons:  Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-PW / Project X LS 6.5
Wedges:  Mizuno T20 Raw 50, 54, 58 / Project X LS 6.0

PutterOdyssey Big #7 Armlock

The sound of everything takes a second to get used to when wearing them.  It’s almost amplified or something.  

and I second the sun sleeves.  Wore them to avoid greasy arms from sun screen and got the benefit of keeping hands dry from sweat.  

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

My wife talked me into the sun sleeves, only wear em with a white short sleeve golf shirt though. Feels like they knock 10° off the temperature or real feel.

Fact. Sun sleeves are great and I feel much cooler while wearing them. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

22 hours ago, jonsnow said:

Which do you prefer for sun protection? I want to like the boonie style hat, but I find the wider brim distracting. Admittedly I haven't tried a wide range of the options available & really want to try the Sheltas, but the cost is a bit high if I'm not sure I'll like it. The bucket hat is what my dad & his buddies wore when I was a teenager & who wants to wear what his dad wore? But maybe that would be a better solution...

Unless you're only going to be playing when the sun is plus or minus an hour of straight overhead you'll need a wider brim than a bucket hat. Unless you get one that pulls way down low on your head where that narrow, turned-down brim hangs over your ears (which would not be comfy on a hot, humid summer day).

Just stick with a brimmed hat until you get used to it. After 20 or 30 rounds you'll quit noticing it's there. 

Brands aside, the key is to get something that's washable, that fits properly and with a brim that's wide enough to keep the sun off and will stay straight after it's been through the washer a few times. 

• Like 1

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

11 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

My wife talked me into the sun sleeves, only wear em with a white short sleeve golf shirt though. Feels like they knock 10° off the temperature or real feel.

I showed up at the course a couple weeks ago and had left my sun sleeves at home. Had to smear sunscreen on my arms instead.

OMG, I'd forgotten how much cooler it feels in the sun with those sleeves on. And the rivers of sweat running down onto my hands. It was awful without them even before I used my arm to wipe some sweat from my head and accidentally dragged it across my sunglasses!

• Like 3

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

I'm all for sunblock and a decent hat.

buy what you'll wear - and that protects.

if it isn't right when it arrives (since we mostly buy online) send it back.

makes me chuckle when I see folks with a $500 driver , Scotty putter and a cheapie hat.

Edited by @_the_crook
sp
  • Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

On 8/11/2021 at 10:24 PM, Minarets said:

The sound of everything takes a second to get used to when wearing them.  It’s almost amplified or something.  

and I second the sun sleeves.  Wore them to avoid greasy arms from sun screen and got the benefit of keeping hands dry from sweat.  

Would you recommend any particular brand or are they all basically the same?

• Like 1

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges
Odyssey Two-Ball Ten Tour Lined putter

Penalty Box: PXG OG 0211 irons, Ping Sigma 2 Craz-E putter

On 8/11/2021 at 11:25 PM, Buzzkill said:

Second this, I have one, works great on winding days too, pricey though.

I have one as well.  I put a Ping patch on it in an attempt to give it some golf cred.  I do get teased about the length of the front bill however.

• Like 1

🇺🇸

Ping G410 Plus driver
Cobra F6 Baffler
Callaway XR hybrids

Titleist 716 AP1 irons

Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges
Odyssey Two-Ball Ten Tour Lined putter

Penalty Box: PXG OG 0211 irons, Ping Sigma 2 Craz-E putter

9 minutes ago, dekez said:

Would you recommend any particular brand or are they all basically the same?

Love my Sparms 

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

21 hours ago, North Butte said:

Unless you're only going to be playing when the sun is plus or minus an hour of straight overhead you'll need a wider brim than a bucket hat. Unless you get one that pulls way down low on your head where that narrow, turned-down brim hangs over your ears (which would not be comfy on a hot, humid summer day).

Just stick with a brimmed hat until you get used to it. After 20 or 30 rounds you'll quit noticing it's there. 

Brands aside, the key is to get something that's washable, that fits properly and with a brim that's wide enough to keep the sun off and will stay straight after it's been through the washer a few times. 

I saw this hat online, and thought of @North Butte’s suggestion to Ensure your hat has a “wider brim than a bucket hat”... too much? (😬🚫🤬)

01B5D26E-72F3-4425-9EED-B957C61CCB34.jpeg

D793E007-346D-45F3-BC10-95730F83D4CF.png

• Haha 4

On 8/11/2021 at 11:06 AM, jonsnow said:

I have an assortment of Titleist Aussie hats, and they are great.  I shave my head, so I can't have a hat with vents in it, or else I'm gonna have a weird sunburn or tan spot.  The Aussie hats fit the bill.  And I don't give a crap what I look like with them on either.  I'm not on the golf course to make a fashion statement.  I'm out there to have fun playing golf and NOT get skin cancer.  I still slather the sunscreen on too.  You can't be too careful.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

4 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

I saw this hat online, and thought of @North Butte’s suggestion to Ensure your hat has a “wider brim than a bucket hat”... too much? (😬🚫🤬)

01B5D26E-72F3-4425-9EED-B957C61CCB34.jpeg

D793E007-346D-45F3-BC10-95730F83D4CF.png

If you're into gardening, awesome. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

On 8/11/2021 at 7:23 PM, rooski said:

Anybody know of any golf companies that make 2XL sun hats? I've been on a search but haven't found much with my globe of a head

Tilley has a good selection and many sizes. Check Sierra.com - I got a Tilley Airflo last year (7 3/4) for $22.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

obviously u don't care what u look like u shave ur head

Receding hairlines and male pattern baldness just look pathetic, IMO.  That's a true sign of a beta male.  🤣  Better to shave it clean.  I look pretty damned good bald, I must say.  I guess some guys don't have the right dome for a shaved head, but I lucked out.

• Like 2

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

I think the title answers the question, doesn’t it?  If you are serious about sun protection, well…

Boonie, no question.  And get one that has a UPF rating on the tag; don’t be suckered in by name brands that don’t put their hats thru the testing process.  

Personal  favorites are the Coolibar Fore and the Ahead Palmer, but I like the Titleist hat well enough.  I have a Shelta that I wear for days when it’s windy and/or rainy; great hat, but for me it really shows sweat stains, and when you wash it, you need to use a tech wash product instead of regular detergent to preserve the water resistant finish.

I’ll add this: for me, the Sparms shoulder wraps have been an incredible find.  No need to feel like either sleeves are cutting off my circulation or, on the other hand, to have to keep pulling them back up.  And the unintended benefit that others have mentioned is that they help tremendously with hands and grips staying dry.

• Like 1