Smallest (most compact) AND most forgiving Iron head?

golfnhack

I'd look at Apex.  I waggled them at the store over the weekend.  Very nice shape to them.  

Last weekend on a not so dramatic 178yd Par 3, using my G400 shovel 4i, I clanked a TriSpeed Tour through the rough on the left side of the green and it rolled on the green pin high left, drained the putt for one of three birdies that day.  I found the sweet spot on a total of four iron shots in 18 holes and shot a tidy 1 over that would have been lower if I judged a couple easy chips a bit better.  The only explanation is modern technology.  I was also hitting an old blade 1 iron without too much difficulty at the range but I'll take modern technology on the course when we're keeping score.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Irons that often get mentioned as forgiving despite their relatively small size and place in the "players" category are T100/T100S and ZX7. I'd probably start there. 

I have the Mizuno JPX 921 SEL -- the lefty blend of a Forged 4/5 iron and Tour 6-GW. I've been pleasantly surprised how forgiving they are. I used to have a JPX 900 Forged set and I'd say these are comparable. But I haven't hit the Titleists or Srixons, so I really can't compare. I'm guessing the 921 Forged might be a sweet spot for forgiveness and compact/players' shape, but since they don't make them for lefties I really can't say beyond the 4/5 irons. 

I also have the TaylorMade P7MCs. They're nobody's idea of a forgiving club, but I do find that they help out a lot more than I'd expect with low and heel misses. Since those are my misses, they're forgiving to me. You might find something similar -- an iron that isn't what most people would consider forgiving just happens to work well with whatever your typical misses are.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, DallasSteve said:

Wow, this is a tough crowd!  I'd like to know which long haul tractor trailer rig, empty, has the best acceleration.  "You can't have both."  "Long haul tractor trailers don't have good acceleration!"  I'm  going to guess that ONE of the rigs accelerates faster than the rest; not as fast as your Corvette or Porsche, but quicker than the other tractor trailer rigs.  Come on, give the OP a break!  We all have a tremendous sense of what is "compact" and what is more "forgiving" in irons.  Of all the teeny tiny irons you've hit, which one has seemed the most forgiving to you?  Not an impossible question to answer, fellas!

Except he explicitly stated no trade-offs, you are talking about the fastest semi-rig, so you are trading off acceleration for cargo. You need to make a trade-off:

Drag Racing Semi Trucks Are Not Something You See Everyday (Video)

ferrari+ff+carrying+lumber.jpg

Edited by billybaroo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Like saying, I want a car that seats 4, goes 190 mph but costs less than 30k, please. LOL

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Cobra s3 pro MBs are a solid compact head design and pretty forgiving IMO

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

6 hours ago, HappyGilmore22 said:

T100 and it's not even close 

This x100

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

Fairway: Titleist TSR2 18* | Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 21* | Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7X

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-P | Project X 6.0

Gap Wedge: Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* | Project X 6.5

Sand Wedge: Titleist SM9 54* | Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ | LAGP P-Series 135 | Superstroke Pistol GT Tour

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

5 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Compact and forgiving don't go together. 

They don't go together in terms of absolutes but it's all relative.

Forgiving for a compact head makes complete sense though.

Obviously T100/Apex Pro/ZX7 aren't classified as forgiving irons, or are forgiving compared to T200/Apex/ZX5 - but they're forgiving for what they are.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

Fairway: Titleist TSR2 18* | Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 21* | Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7X

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-P | Project X 6.0

Gap Wedge: Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* | Project X 6.5

Sand Wedge: Titleist SM9 54* | Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ | LAGP P-Series 135 | Superstroke Pistol GT Tour

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

12 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Smallest and forgiving do NOT go hand-in-hand.

12 hours ago, rooski said:

That's a bit like asking what the fastest AND the slowest car is, those two are inversely proportional so its gonna be a tradeoff for the most part

12 hours ago, From_Parts_Unknown said:

That's a good comparison.  It's like asking what is the fastest and heaviest car.  Tesla Plaid is the only answer.  

10 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Compact and forgiving don't go together. 

Disagree here as this is painting with too broad a brush. A lot of it depends on your measure of forgiveness, but the most objective measure, MOI, can be achieved in a compact package. Yes the bigger/chunkier heads can have more "perceived" forgiveness from a psychological standpoint, and you do get more protection from the ground with a bigger sole, but high MOI is the rising tide that floats all boats for a vast majority of players when it comes to mishit forgiveness. 

10 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

Titleist homers are gonna say T100  😂

And they aren't wrong. The T100, despite its compact package, has a ridiculously high MOI, higher than many GI/SGI irons, and this absolutely deserves to be mentioned. 

If a player's idea of forgiveness involves turf interaction and protection from slightly fat shots however then that is a different story and they'll be harder pressed to find a compact solution. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

following this thread

Once we've settled this i will put them in my ultralight staff bag which is filled with balls that are both the highest spinning and lowest spinning.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

9 hours ago, Sean124 said:

0311T is very forgiving for the size. 

DITTOS

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

6 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

I'd look at Apex.  I waggled them at the store over the weekend.  Very nice shape to them.  

Last weekend on a not so dramatic 178yd Par 3, using my G400 shovel 4i, I clanked a TriSpeed Tour through the rough on the left side of the green and it rolled on the green pin high left, drained the putt for one of three birdies that day.  I found the sweet spot on a total of four iron shots in 18 holes and shot a tidy 1 over that would have been lower if I judged a couple easy chips a bit better.  The only explanation is modern technology.  I was also hitting an old blade 1 iron without too much difficulty at the range but I'll take modern technology on the course when we're keeping score.

What does this mean?!?!?

Where you gets depends on which end you start from.

If you want the smallest clubhead that's very, very forgiving then I think the Ping G425 is as good a suggestion as any. Not blade-like but plays slightly more compact and looks much more compact than any other proper Super Game Improvement irons I know of. 

If you want the a blade-like (or nearly so) clubhead that's as forgiving as possible given that size and shaping then the T100 is a good choice. Or any of the other players irons with gobs of tungsten to give them a bit more MOI and toe weighting. 

But a T100 is much more compact than a G425 while a G425 is far more forgiving than T100. There's a whole popular category of "trade off" irons nowadays. It's kind of the growth category for golf irons I guess. The new P790 is a great example that's in between T100 and G425 in both forgiveness and size/shape. There are many others from various brands along those same lines. 

• Like 1

The Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Forgiveness and size dont have a correlation, but is definitely a factor. Forgiveness comes in many forms, ball speed retention, dispersion, even low strike forgiveness which has nothing to do with blade size. I think for ball speed retention size and moi offer more forgiveness, but alot if recent tests have shown blades to outperform higher moi irons in terms of dispersion. So its a very complex answer.

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 1

The title of this thread was phrased wrong.  It should be "What is the most forgiving compact head" Not Smallest (most compact) AND most forgiving Iron head?

The first criteria is small and compact, not most forgiving.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

17 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Disagree here as this is painting with too broad a brush. A lot of it depends on your measure of forgiveness, but the most objective measure, MOI, can be achieved in a compact package.

but high MOI is the rising tide that floats all boats for a vast majority of players when it comes to mishit forgiveness. 

You're welcome to disagree, but we're NOT talking about the vast majority of ALL golfers, here, are we?  Generally speaking,  smallest and forgiving do NOT go hand-in-hand, least from my years of experience.

Measure of forgiveness, is NOT about how a person intellectually measures forgiveness, but their skill level in relationship to said forgiveness.  Using specs such as MOI to argue in support of what is possible is NOT a good argument.  Its NOT a rising tide either.  Of all my golf friends, from two pvt clubs,  a limited number have heard of MOI, the others, never heard of it and don't know what MOI or MPF acronyms mean.  Most of the people I know measure forgiveness by what happens to their ball when they think they hit it poorly, it's that simple.

Also, there are two majorities, Golfwrx or all golfers; which are you talking about?  They are not the same.  Yes, choice is up to each person, but if I am advising small and forgiving club heads to someone that fits in the vast majority of golfers, I am NOT offering club heads like Conventional 620 CB with MPF 465 and "12.5863" level of MOI.  Unless someone says their game is similar to mine or better, I advise based on my knowledge and experience, NOT theirs.   And, I don't believe in giving them too much detail, as most of what I know won't be understood by vast majority of people that play golf.  Like when I say good ball striking is about "attention to details."   Common response, what details?

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

12 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You're welcome to disagree, but we're NOT talking about the vast majority of ALL golfers, here, are we?  Generally speaking,  smallest and forgiving do NOT go hand-in-hand, least from my years of experience.

Measure of forgiveness, is NOT about how a person intellectually measures forgiveness, but their skill level in relationship to said forgiveness.  Using specs such as MOI to argue in support of what is possible is NOT a good argument.  Its NOT a rising tide either.  Of all my golf friends, from two pvt clubs,  a limited number have heard of MOI, the others, never heard of it and don't know what MOI or MPF acronyms mean.  Most of the people I know measure forgiveness by what happens to their ball when they think they hit it poorly, it's that simple.

Also, there are two majorities, Golfwrx or all golfers; which are you talking about?  They are not the same.  Yes, choice is up to each person, but if I am advising small and forgiving club heads to someone that fits in the vast majority of golfers, I am NOT offering club heads like Conventional 620 CB with MPF 465 and "12.5863" level of MOI.  Unless someone says their game is similar to mine or better, I advise based on my knowledge and experience, NOT theirs.   And, I don't believe in giving them too much detail, as most of what I know won't be understood by vast majority of people that play golf.  Like when I say good ball striking is about "attention to details."   Common response, what details?

The player doesn't matter, that's irrelevant to the question. The question should be read what is the most forgiving small profile clubhead? As forgiveness and size used to be directly correlated, that is not always the case now. T100 is very compact, and very forgiving. Not just related to it's size, but more giving as @Valtiel mentioned relative to some GI or SGI club heads based on MOI measurements. He didn't ask to be educated on the terminology, he asked a question with a simple answer in mind. The T100 is very small AND forgiving clubhead. You can get out in the weeds as much as you'd like with your semantics and anecdotes, but they are irrelevant to the question at hand. 

• Thanks 1