2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone else get annoyed with guys constantly removing and replacing head covers during a round?

I take my driver cover off at the beginning of a  round (because, as someone mentioned above, the cover is like skinny jeans) but it is surrounded by two woods and a hybrid with covers, so it doesn't get dinged. Putter cover is always used. 

Frankly, I just don't get this thread. Anyone with even modestly priced clubs (let alone some of the expensive ones so many people on WRX use) doesn't want them beat up. Irons don't damage each other during normal use, but driver and woods and the putter can get damaged. 

Besides, I seriously don't get what the issue is - putting the cover back on my three wood takes less time than it takes another guy in a foursome to take a practice swing and waggle. Putting a putter cover back on takes a fraction of the time it takes anyone else to line up a putt.

The reason for the slow golf everyone complains about is definitely not people using club covers.

PS. Blonde Line Lizard - I agree that iron covers on during a round are kind of ridiculous, but I do have a set ... when my clubs are going into a travel bag to get bashed around by baggage handlers, they can take some abuse.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I've played with friends of mine that fit into two types.  One who after he hits grabs his club and head cover jumps back into the cart and puts it on while we are riding.  

The other insists on putting his head cover on after he hits.  It one of 'skinny jeans' head covers.  Kinda janks me a bit but only takes maybe 5 seconds more to do it.  

What really yanks me is he takes his glove off after each shot and won't put it back on until we get to his ball and he gets out of the cart.  So another 10 seconds.  

15 seconds only but if 4 guys do it per hole it's another 18 minutes to a round of golf. Now that makes a difference.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, denkea said:

I've played with friends of mine that fit into two types.  One who after he hits grabs his club and head cover jumps back into the cart and puts it on while we are riding.  

The other insists on putting his head cover on after he hits.  It one of 'skinny jeans' head covers.  Kinda janks me a bit but only takes maybe 5 seconds more to do it.  

What really yanks me is he takes his glove off after each shot and won't put it back on until we get to his ball and he gets out of the cart.  So another 10 seconds.  

15 seconds only but if 4 guys do it per hole it's another 18 minutes to a round of golf. Now that makes a difference.  

I think most people do this except for Jesper Parnevik. If we are playing together, and I am waiting for you to hit, I am putting my glove on then as part of my pre-shot routine, so I'm not adding to your clock totals for taking on and putting off of the gloves.....

• Thanks 1

After much reflection I've decided to keep taking my headcovers on and off, but I'm going to switch it up a bit and bring something new to the game. 

I'm going to hold my driver on my left hip and remove the headcover with my right hand and toss it in the air in one motion like a matador.  You know, with flair.  Like LeBron tossing chalk in the air before a game, people who see this know they are in for a show.  After the shot inevitably lands in the middle of the fairway 300-325 yards away (accounting for a slight headwind of course) I'll then hold the headcover on my left side and slowly slide the driver into it like a warrior sheathing his sword after a battle.  I may or may not bow slightly towards the others on the tee at this time.

This is of course going to add time to the round, and I'm going to need to find new playing partners after the 3rd or 4th hole.  But I really feel like this is the way to go for me.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, jc2 said:

After much reflection I've decided to keep taking my headcovers on and off, but I'm going to switch it up a bit and bring something new to the game. 

I'm going to hold my driver on my left hip and remove the headcover with my right hand and toss it in the air in one motion like a matador.  You know, with flair.  Like LeBron tossing chalk in the air before a game, people who see this know they are in for a show.  After the shot inevitably lands in the middle of the fairway 300-325 yards away (accounting for a slight headwind of course) I'll then hold the headcover on my left side and slowly slide the driver into it like a warrior sheathing his sword after a battle.  I may or may not bow slightly towards the others on the tee at this time.

This is of course going to add time to the round, and I'm going to need to find new playing partners after the 3rd or 4th hole.  But I really feel like this is the way to go for me.

I was thinking of getting a dual back holster with my headcovers permanently affixed to it for my putter and driver (think Leonardo and his dual katanas).  That way both removing and replacing each club is an extravagant display of dominance.  Golfers and samurai warriors are basically one in the same anyway, this will just further blur the line between the two.  

I too will likely be playing as a single most days ... 

Edited by iknowbagu
spelling is hard
  • Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

The cure for OP's angst is as plain as day. (As many observe, headcovers have a function, so let's keep 'em. But, not just any old headcovers.)

First we dispense with the stoopid rules about attachments and foreign substances on the clubface. Just keep the headcover on when you hit the ball! And, imagine the market there will be for headcovers that add 17 more yards. 😃

• Haha 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

2 minutes ago, iknowbagu said:

I was thinking of getting a duel back holster with my headcovers permanently affixed to it for my putter and driver (think Leonardo and his dual katanas).  That way both removing and replacing each club is an extravagant display of dominance.  Golfers and samurai warriors are basically one in the same anyway, this will just further blur the line between the two.  

I too will likely be playing as a single most days ... 

I feel like once a year we should meet at a course at dawn and play golf until only one of us is left standing

6 minutes ago, jc2 said:

I feel like once a year we should meet at a course at dawn and play golf until only one of us is left standing

We'd need to set a time limit in which to declare a draw.  I don't see either of us going down and/or waiving the white flag.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

This happened in a scramble last year and I never made a post about it but the feelings are surging so here it goes.

I use headcovers on my putters, hybirids, woods, and drivers. I really like putters and have a few gamers older gamers that are not easily replaceable in their current condition that I treat really well. I don't want to see any glare from nicks on the topline when I'm standing over a putt so I do my best to keep them in great shape.

Pace of play was already slow (shotgun start with 2 forusomes on each tee going of one after another) and we are on our 4th hole. Cart path only this day and cart path was on the left side of the fairway. My drive was in the right rough and was not the one our team was going to play. The ball we were going to play from was around 100 yards out from the green in the middle of the fairway and mine was about 25 yards back. I go looking for my ball and as I am on the way back to the cart, to my bewilderment, the person I was riding with is walking towards me with two hands full of clubs. Both of our putters and a few of my wedges and his. And my putter headcover has been removed......

He has the clubs bundled in each hand by the shafts like he's carrying sticks for firewood. With each step I hear the sound of club heads and putter heads clanking and I am calmly loosing my mind. I make the decision to not say anything and operate the rest of the round such that this could not happen again. The was a nick on the face and topline after this situation.

Towards the end of the round, I decide to use the restroom after our tee shots. Restroom was positioned fairly close to were we parked our cart for our second shots. When I get back to the cart after using the restroom I see that my putter and wedges are not in my bag and the putter cover is sitting in the cart.... I look over to where our team is at and once again my cart partner has grabbed my clubs. Once again there was additional damage to the putter head.

Putter from this story is a 2012 SC Studio Select Newport 2 that was in "Near Mint" condition. The putter now has a few nicks on the face and a few nicks on the topline.

I should have said something about it the first time and definitely will open next time with something like "Hey, don't worry about grabbing my clubs. I appreciate the gesture but I'm pretty particular about my equipment."

For those of you that feel like I do about putters, just imagine one of your jewels without a headcover clanking around with other club heads as someone holds it by the shaft bundled with a few other irons.

Sorry for the long rant but this one has been eating at me for a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MP4444 said:

This happened in a scramble last year and I never made a post about it but the feelings are surging so here it goes.

I use headcovers on my putters, hybirids, woods, and drivers. I really like putters and have a few gamers older gamers that are not easily replaceable in their current condition that I treat really well. I don't want to see any glare from nicks on the topline when I'm standing over a putt so I do my best to keep them in great shape.

Pace of play was already slow (shotgun start with 2 forusomes on each tee going of one after another) and we are on our 4th hole. Cart path only this day and cart path was on the left side of the fairway. My drive was in the right rough and was not the one our team was going to play. The ball we were going to play from was around 100 yards out from the green in the middle of the fairway and mine was about 25 yards back. I go looking for my ball and as I am on the way back to the cart, to my bewilderment, the person I was riding with is walking towards me with two hands full of clubs. Both of our putters and a few of my wedges and his. And my putter headcover has been removed......

He has the clubs bundled in each hand by the shafts like he's carrying sticks for firewood. With each step I hear the sound of club heads and putter heads clanking and I am calmly loosing my mind. I make the decision to not say anything and operate the rest of the round such that this could not happen again. The was a nick on the face and topline after this situation.

Towards the end of the round, I decide to use the restroom after our tee shots. Restroom was positioned fairly close to were we parked our cart for our second shots. When I get back to the cart after using the restroom I see that my putter and wedges are not in my bag and the putter cover is sitting in the cart.... I look over to where our team is at and once again my cart partner has grabbed my clubs. Once again there was additional damage to the putter head.

Putter from this story is a 2012 SC Studio Select Newport 2 that was in "Near Mint" condition. The putter now has a few nicks on the face and a few nicks on the topline.

I should have said something about it the first time and definitely will open next time with something like "Hey, don't worry about grabbing my clubs. I appreciate the gesture but I'm pretty particular about my equipment."

For those of you that feel like I do about putters, just imagine one of your jewels without a headcover clanking around with other club heads as someone holds it by the shaft bundled with a few other irons.

I feel you pain. I see clubs as tools, but all the same I try to keep my putter and woods in good shape as long as I can. I aways leave my putter cover on if I am carrying it along with another club. 

• Like 1

One of the guys in my group has 14 head covers, takes multiple practice swings, is pretty much oblivious to anyone else playing, and is a terrible golfer. I was letting him affect my game and had to make the decision to not let his antics get into my head. I’m doing better now, thank you very much, and I did it on my own - no counseling needed. 

It’s weird because outside distractions don’t typically bother me. 

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

On 8/20/2021 at 10:35 AM, iknowbagu said:

I was thinking of getting a dual back holster with my headcovers permanently affixed to it for my putter and driver (think Leonardo and his dual katanas).  That way both removing and replacing each club is an extravagant display of dominance.  Golfers and samurai warriors are basically one in the same anyway, this will just further blur the line between the two.  

Yes! You and jc2 have inspired me! What I'm thinking my new club cover ritual will be is from Kill Bill, when Hattori Hanzo gives his completed sword to Beatrix. He takes the sword, looks at it from two different angles, slowly rubs the length of it over his sleeve. Then gets the sheath back from his assistant (I'd need a caddy to pull this off), slides the sword gently into it, finishing with a subtle click. That's what I'll do with my putter and FWs, every time heehee.

All the time I was doing it (with my club instead of a sword), I'd be intoning Hanzo's dialogue:

"I am finished doing what I swore an oath to God 28 years ago to never do again.something that kills people. And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I am sympathetic to your aim. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut."

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

A guy I play with takes forever pulling the trigger and swinging after addressing the ball. I could take my headcover off and put it back on a dozen times in the time it takes him to finally swing. There are many, many other things that slow down a round of golf than taking headcovers off. Besides, on the tee, most times everyone else is taking their headcover off while the first guy is getting ready to hit. It is not like everyone waits and goes in sequence, waiting 'til the last moment to remove their headcover. 😃

On 8/21/2021 at 2:00 PM, bobfoster said:

Yes! You and jc2 have inspired me! What I'm thinking my new club cover ritual will be is from Kill Bill, when Hattori Hanzo gives his completed sword to Beatrix. He takes the sword, looks at it from two different angles, slowly rubs the length of it over his sleeve. Then gets the sheath back from his assistant (I'd need a caddy to pull this off), slides the sword gently into it, finishing with a subtle click. That's what I'll do with my putter and FWs, every time heehee.

I fully endorse enlisting a 3rd party to any over the top headcover related showmanship

On 8/20/2021 at 8:31 AM, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

I think most people do this except for Jesper Parnevik. If we are playing together, and I am waiting for you to hit, I am putting my glove on then as part of my pre-shot routine, so I'm not adding to your clock totals for taking on and putting off of the gloves.....

Thank you.  

On 8/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, MP4444 said:

Oh my gosh. That has to be what hell  is like.  I would absolutely lose my cool.  

and I’ll say this. This is reason 487 not to ride in a cart.  If someone pulls clubs from my bag while I’m walking.  I can call the cops and report it as theft.  Good lord that’s a nerve racking  story. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I mean every once in a while I die while walking and pulling my driver headcover off, but other than the death doing two things at once I'm not wasting anyone's time. I can put the cover back on while others are hitting too, but again... death is a potential result of doing two things at once. 

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

If i ever find myself on the start sheet with the OP......i'm scratching my name off.

Of all the real problems in life; this isn't close to featuring on my list.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

On 8/20/2021 at 2:03 PM, MP4444 said:

Now, this is a a legit complaint.

Same thing happened to me recently.  No malice intended, they just didn't know.  Kudos for keeping your cool.

• Like 1