First time Bandon trip, Fall 2022, and need help from those with experience....

SteveL1

We’ve booked a trip to Bandon Dunes for eight for 10/29 through 11/3 in 2022 and would love some feedback from anyone that’s been there. Basic background of the group is half over 65 yrs old and the others in their mid to late 30’s-40’s. Handicaps range from 5 to high teens. So far, the following has been booked but open to suggestions.

Day 1 - 8:40 AM Bandon Dunes - replay round at 2:00 PM on Pacific Dunes 

Day 2 - 9:00 AM Pacific Dunes - replay round at 2:10 PM on Bandon Dunes

Day 3 - 9:10 AM Old McDonald - replay round at 2:10 PM on Bandon Trails

Day 4 - 11:20 AM Sheep Ranch

** At time of booking, these were the earliest tee times available**

Double rooms are booked for Chrome Lakes 

Here are some of my concerns:

1. Is enough time allowed between rounds to deal with shuttling from course to course and allow time to grab something to eat?

2. is it reasonable to expect the older guys to walk 36 a day for three days in a row? I will be 68 by the time we go and have no doubt that I won’t be able to all 36, even with caddies. I read that most say that the courses are fairly easy walks, but is that really realistic?

3. Is the mix of course choices good or would you recommend a different mix? Maybe add the Preserve one day as replay?

4. We’re coming from St. Louis and looking for best airline/airports to use. We are a major Southwest hub if that helps.

5. The Punch Bowl looks like a lot of fun but it reasonable to try and squeeze it in a day you’re playing 36?

6. Weather? The best info I can find is to expect low to mid 40’s in the morning and mid 60’s for the highs this time of year. Is this somewhat accurate and what should we expect in the way of fog or rain?

7. Anything we’ve missed that should absolutely be added?

This may be the one time some of us will ever have the chance to experience Bandon Dunes so we’re trying to make it as special as possible without breaking the bank, or our backs. Any experience or advise you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I would call the resort every few weeks and see if you're able to move your tee times up as you're outside the guaranteed-to-finish window as currently scheduled (so you likely won't finish Bandon Trails on day 3).

1.  Yes, and you'll save additional time by renting a car (see #4). I recommend eating snacks during the round and changing your socks/shoes and getting a quick bite between rounds (rather than sitting down for a full lunch).

2.  It depends on the health and fitness of the older guys, but based solely on your ages, I'm leaning toward no.

3.  Old Mac/Trails is the toughest walk for 36 holes. I would try to split them up. Stick with Old Mac in the morning and Trails in the afternoon if you can.

4.  Definitely Eugene. It's a beautiful 2.5-hour drive from the resort. North Bend is 30 minutes away but you run the risk of flight delays.

5.  See above.

6.  I've been in early November multiple times and I think those temperatures are fair (also lucked out with no rain or fog), but that is no guarantee.

7.  Wear comfortable socks and change them between rounds (I prefer Kentwool). Drink plenty of water. And wear sunscreen even if it's overcast.

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

8 hours ago, SteveL1 said:

We’ve booked a trip to Bandon Dunes for eight for 10/29 through 11/3 in 2022 and would love some feedback from anyone that’s been there. Basic background of the group is half over 65 yrs old and the others in their mid to late 30’s-40’s. Handicaps range from 5 to high teens. So far, the following has been booked but open to suggestions.

1. Is enough time allowed between rounds to deal with shuttling from course to course and allow time to grab something to eat?

2. is it reasonable to expect the older guys to walk 36 a day for three days in a row? I will be 68 by the time we go and have no doubt that I won’t be able to all 36, even with caddies. I read that most say that the courses are fairly easy walks, but is that really realistic?

3. Is the mix of course choices good or would you recommend a different mix? Maybe add the Preserve one day as replay?

4. We’re coming from St. Louis and looking for best airline/airports to use. We are a major Southwest hub if that helps.

5. The Punch Bowl looks like a lot of fun but it reasonable to try and squeeze it in a day you’re playing 36?

6. Weather? The best info I can find is to expect low to mid 40’s in the morning and mid 60’s for the highs this time of year. Is this somewhat accurate and what should we expect in the way of fog or rain?

This may be the one time some of us will ever have the chance to experience Bandon Dunes so we’re trying to make it as special as possible without breaking the bank, or our backs. Any experience or advise you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Jack covered everything pretty well.  A few more thoughts:

#1: The total travel time between BD and PD is approximately 3 minutes.  Between OM and BT, about 5.  Each clubhouse has places to grab quick bites. You're good.

#3: You may want to sub the Preserve for the afternoon on Day 2.  At least for the older guys.  If they aren't used to walking or aren't in decent shape, the day after the first 36 will be a grind.  Agree that OM/BT will be the toughest walking day.  We always break those up.  Trails has a lot of ups and downs, and Old Mac can be really exposed (as can SR).  Weather events are a bit more intense on OM and SR, and a bit less so on Trails.

#5: the Punchbowl is just a fun place to relax and have a couple drinks and hit a few of the craziest putts you'll ever see.  You can spend 5 minutes there or a couple hours.

#6-7: you are going right when the weather patterns begin to shift.  You might get four bluebird days, you might get four monsoon days.  Or something in between.  Make sure that the rain gear is GoreTex and let everyone know there is a decent chance of needing to use it.  Trust me, there is nothing more miserable than having your expensive rain gear give out on hole 12....

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

@SteveL1

I'd think a round at the Preserve somewhere in there would be a good plan in lieu of an afternoon 18. Last trip I went to Bandon we played Friday-Sunday 18, 18+Preserve, 36 Sunday, and by Sunday I was gassed. I probably could have pushed through it more if needed though. I was 37 at the time and in really good shape working out 4-5 times a week, but I carried my own bag the whole way as I always did. By Sunday the combination of golf, travel, lack of sleep and too much bourbon caught up to me, but those are things I enjoy in a golf trip so consider your group and how they like to spend their down time.

Both BD and Pacific have their food spot right by the first tee and 18th greens, so you should be OK on food, if in doubt pick up some of the protein bite balls. PD does have a spot on the course about mid-way through the round for food, drinks, etc if you don't have time at the turn.

Punch Bowl is great post round if you want to wind down with a drink or two, especially the first day after PD. Just a great way to wind down any day.

Weather: do not plan for what you know of fall golf at that time of year. I bought so much cool weather gear ahead of time that I never touched on my first trip. I've never seen temps in the 40s there and my trips were about the same as yours if not later. The nights and mornings don't dip down in temp like they do in the midwest in my experience, you don't get that overnight chill. Last trip I went on got into the 70s and sunny and I simply wasn't prepared. Keep in mind that walking instead of a cart will warm you considerably, so light pants or shorts and a polo with a pullover might get it done in most conditions. If windy or cooler a simple windbreaker might suffice as well, the typical fall/winter sweater wasn't necessary in my experience.

Travel: 3 options for you, with pros and cons.

1) STL>San Fran> North Bend. If it all works right, this is the quickest travel route as you arrive at an airport 40 minutes from Bandon. If all goes well you can be on the property at Bandon around 3pm, however, flying into San Fran and North Bend each are easily delayed, San Fran from fog and North Bend due to fog/weather, etc. If you have flight issues there are no extra flights into North Bend, just one commercial flight in and out each day. My last trip my flight out got cancelled and I had to hustle to rent a car and drive 2 hours in a storm to Eugene to catch a red eye, not ideal.

2) STL>Eugene. I have no idea if there's a direct flight there, but I doubt it. This will be the nice middle ground option as Eugene is reliable, but a 2 hour drive to Bandon. It's a nice drive if the weather is good, kinda winding and unnerving if raining and in a POS rental with bad tires. You can rent a car or hire a shuttle service to get your group to the course. Southwest connections don't look good for Eugene. I think United flies in and out of there and you might be able to find a direct flight or easy connection.

3) STL>Portland. If you want to fly southwest this might be your best route as you can catch a non-stop flight to Portland, your clubs can fly free, and you rent a vehicle to drive the 4 hours or so to Bandon. If renting you have to consider how many people and all the gear with clubs. Obviously it sucks to fly 4 hours and then drive 4 more, but if you insist on Southwest this works and I hear the drive down from Portland is somewhat enjoyable.

One thing to consider: how your clubs get there. I've always gone the CHI>SF>North Bend route, which I likely won't repeat again. Should you go that route the plan you take to North Bend is likely the smallest you'll ever fly in, I think 28 seats or so, and the majority are going to Bandon. IF everybody chooses to take their clubs with them the cargo on that plane fills up very quickly, and it's likely some clubs get bumped for the next flight, which is the next day. I've heard stories where guys go this route and don't get their clubs until mid week. If you go that route I'd recommend ship sticks. The clubs are shipped from you directly to the course and are waiting for you on your arrival. It'll cost around $100 I think but for peace of mind it was worth it for me each time. Also something to consider if you choose to rent a car from the airport and will be tight on space.

1. It'll be tight.  Rounds at the resort often run 4.5 - 5 hours, so while probably doable, you won't have a ton of extra time.

2. Doubtful. I go to Bandon every Spring with a large group of guys ranging from 30s to 70s, and very few of our 65+ golfers will try for 36 a day.  Your third day (Old Mac and Bandon Trails) combines the two hardest walks, so that'd be the toughest day to try 36.

3. Yeah, I think you've got a good mix.  For a first trip, 2 rounds each at BD and PD is ideal.

4. As others have said, just a matter of the pros and cons.  PDX is going to offer more flight options and likely cheaper rental cars, but it adds 1.5+ hours of driving each way when compared to EUG.  If you fly into PDX anytime after about 2pm, add another 45 minutes for the commute traffic on the south end of town.

5. Very easy to fit in the Punchbowl, but you'll have to do it early morning before you tee off.  With a 6pm sunset, you'll have no light after the 2nd round.  

6. Expect some rain. The weather on the south coast turns downhill in late October.  Hopefully you'll be ok, but I'd absolutely be prepared for wet conditions.

7. For your older guys (or others) that aren't up for 36, the Preserve is a great option, as is the free Shorty's 9-hole par 3 course at the south end of the practice facility.  Also, make dinner reservations well in advance, especially with a group.  Don't expect to just walk into the restaurants and get seated.

Like Jack said, call and see if you can get earlier times. When the sun sets, it gets pitch black dark in a hurry

Also guaranteed to finish isn't really a thing. Reservations will state times based on 4.5-5 hours of play. 

Our last trip we had one of those 'guaranteed tee times' but got stuck behind a very slow group of 24, pace of 5.5-6 hour rounds.  Couldn't see the last few holes and went to the pro-shop. NO such thing as guarantee tee times. Had to fight to get credit for the round. 

Def make reservations for dinner as early as you can. 

Everybody relax, I’m here

23 hours ago, SteveL1 said:

1 Those times are tight. I Would forgo the afternoon rounds, have a great lunch and play the Preserve instead. One thing I have noticed over the last few years is that pace of play has gotten progressively slower as more unprepared people have gone. 

2 No chance. I am 57, walk 3 times a week and in very good shape and Bandon beats me up physically every time & I always play (& carry) 36 a day when I go. Don't get me wrong, its the best pain imaginable but I have seen guys go, play 36 holes on day 1 and not be able to play for 2 days. People underestimate how physically demanding that is especially if you have wind/rain which you have to tell your self you will. I tell anyone who is going for first time to make themselves walk all their rounds for last 6-8 weeks prior to departure. Too many just show up and get abused and then can't understand why it was so painful.  Maybe shoot for 36 one of the days. Always change socks after every round. Always!

3 Any courses you play at Bandon will be best courses you have ever played. They are all in top 50 in America so no bad ones. 

4 Your group will have more fun on the Preserve than they will anywhere else. It was made for the buddies trip

5 I see more banter and hear more belly laughs from people on the Punchbowl & Preserve than on any of the courses.

6. Eugene all day long. I have flown to Portland, Eugene, N Bend & driven 13 hrs from Lower California and Eugene is best option for you guys. Fly in early and play 18 that afternoon. 

7  Take a caddy. For a group with your age demographic, its a once in a lifetime journey. Enjoy every aspect of it. Don't sweat it if you don't play all 6 courses. Go have a wonderful experience with your friends and if that means 18 holes, lunch, cards, a few drinks and 10 hours of sleep, nothing about that sounds horrible. Too many guys go and try to cram it all in and just come home beat up and sore ( I just did it on my last trip trying to play 54 so I could get all courses in one trip again. All I did was get frustrated at the slow play and ended up with a sore back)

I am going in November '21 with my oldest golf buddy in the world. he has never been, is a cancer survivor and we will probably only play 18 holes a day. Different than my other trips for sure but I can honestly say I am looking forward to it more than any other trip I have had there.

Don't over think it, don't over drink it, don't over golf it, don't over do it,  Just enjoy it

• Like 1

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

I think 36 a day will be tough. I also agree that the short loops would be awesome, but unless I'm mistaking, there are no discounts/partial rates. 

I recommend doing a mix on 36/18/36 if possible. I think you can cancel replays same day without a penalty.. 

Full disclosure, we are playing 36 6 days in a row, and my body will disown me by the end. In a twisted way, it's part of the fun. 

Kind of like others have said….do NOT plan on 36 a day, every day…ESPECIALLY with those “seasoned” golfers. 😁

I would mix in Preserve in the afternoon. It would be a hoot with a 4some of 8some. Change up tees. 

also, I recommend playing in walking/running shoes if the course is dry. Helps with all the miles

Having flown in from a distance (Boston) to go to BD several times, if there's one thing I've learned it's this: take the direct flight to PDX and drive down.  Too much risk in connecting.  If you could fly direct to Eugene, I'd say to do that but I doubt there's a St. Louis-Eugene direct.  Both Eugene and North Bend are small airports, all it takes is one delayed flight to really jack up a trip you've planned for a long time with either lost golf bags or lost time at the resort.  You wouldn't save any time by connecting anyway, it's just a shorter drive.  It's not a bad drive at all from Portland, you are paying for a rental car (probably 2 here), but you definitely will use the car at the resort.  Personally, I much prefer driving around the resort versus the shuttle service (which is fine but just not as convenient as a rental car).  And pay for the full tank which will save you time/hassle on the trip home since someone has to pump your gas in Oregon and there won't be as many gas stations open if you fly out at night.