Players irons...distance vs. control?

Indygolfer18

I had an iron fitting today and am having a hard time deciding which should take priority. I was fitted into the ZX7s, and while they were awesome, the lofts are pretty low and they go a mile. I'm not sure that hitting a 186 yard 7 iron is a good thing? I loved the T100 too. While it didn't go as far (178) and lacked a tad bit of forgiveness, the look at address + offset + turf interaction is money.

Shot dispersion was pretty good with both, a little bit better with the T100 but the ZX7s were within a 2 yard radius. At what point does distance become a bad thing? And at what point do I just need to close my laptop and trust my fitter?

Distance is never a bad thing.  Ever. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

I wish I hit my LW 150 yards with the same control I have with it now that I only hit it 80. Strokes gained has clearly established that distance matters and probably the biggest contributor to the differences at all levels of golf. 

I don't know about you, but I have a much easier time hitting my 9 iron than a 4 iron.... and if I could hit 9 iron the distance I currently hit my 4 iron, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that I would be shooting far better scores than I do today.

• Like 3

Is there really much difference between the 2? The ZX7 7 iron is 2 degrees stronger and went 8 yards further. 4 yards per degree of loft is about what you should expect. 

What would help your game more, a bit more forgiveness or a club that offers a touch more in shot making. Distance wise you are only talking about how the gapping is managed IMO.

Both companies make great irons. 

• Like 2

Sim 2 Max 10.5 Tensei CK Blue 60X
3 Wood - Titleist TSI 2 - 15 degree (C4) - Tensei CK Blue 70X

Titleist 816 H2 - 21 (C1) Aldila Rogue Black 85X 
Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1X 2021

I’d agree with all above. The distance is a nice thing and if the gapping works, then brilliant. 

I have the z765 and find that the consistency of distance is brilliant, which I think is really important with this type of iron. 

both are great irons, so I guess it’s a case of which you prefer the look and feel of, and which for in to the gaps between the rest of your bag. 

• Like 2

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

It should be about how the ball is reacting when it lands. If the ball goes 5 yards father that doesn't matter if it releases 20ft vs a club that goes 5 yards shorter and stops where it lands. With the irons you want the ball to stop where you are expecting, then play the longest thing that stops where you are expecting.

• Like 1

Let me ask you this question. If you swapped the performance of the clubs around, would that make your choice easier?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I would go with distance control over distance with irons.  Pointless to hit a 7 iron 190 when your dispersion sucks or when you don't know if it's going to fly over the green or stop 10 yards short and roll back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

1 hour ago, Golf64 said:

Depending on the other numbers with the ZX7s, maybe a change of shafts, ball? If you were not launching the ball too high, maybe weaken the lofts 2* to add spin/launch to shorten your distances? 

The ball actually launched well, I had a 50* descent angle and was averaging 5700 RPM on 130ish mph ball speed. I tend to have a higher ball flight though!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, anth said:

Let me ask you this question. If you swapped the performance of the clubs around, would that make your choice easier?

No, that’s why I’m confused on which direction to go. ZX7 was really consistent distance-wise, forgiving, and had great ball flight. I just don’t know if the extra distance that comes with them is something that would disrupt my game. The worst part of my game is 30-90 yards right now and having to hit more half shots because I’m carrying a PW 145 doesn’t sit well with me!

T100 spun more and flew a little bit less, and was slightly less forgiving on low face shots. IMO it was outperformed by the Srixon’s but it fills my gaps better. 

Edited by Indygolfer18
  • Like 1

This debate probably varies by handicap. The player who can be very precise with iron carry distances is hitting the center of the club face and is probably a low single digit handicap.

The rest of us would probably be better off with a club that offers better distance/forgiveness.

• Like 2

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 6-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58
Stroke Lab R Ball Slant

Irons with better dispersion (for your game) should be chosen every time.  The only shot you are giving up is in that zone just outside your longest iron, where the longer iron could be used, but even there you can cover the distance with a hybrid or fairway wood or even the long iron from the distance set.  Easy decision, if there truly is a dispersion advantage with one set for you.  

21 minutes ago, Indygolfer18 said:

No, that’s why I’m confused on which direction to go. ZX7 was really consistent distance-wise, forgiving, and had great ball flight. I just don’t know if the extra distance that comes with them is something that would disrupt my game. The worst part of my game is 30-90 yards right now and having to hit more half shots because I’m carrying a PW 145 doesn’t sit well with me!

T100 spun more and flew a little bit less, and was slightly less forgiving on low face shots. IMO it was outperformed by the Srixon’s but it fills my gaps better. 

Other than the majestic distance, how was it outperformed?  The first post suggested a little more distance for the zx7, the T100s were better in appearance and had better dispersion and distance was apparently fine.  What irons do you hit now and how do the distances compare (in reality)? Whatever the less forgiveness on some low on the face shots part means seems like a nitpick. Are the T100s spinning unreasonably other than the fact the loft is higher? Or is the zx7 spinning too low? Looks like more info coming in vs. the original post, but not really anything to suggest that the zx7s were outperforming and was the distance unreasonable?  Are the distances the averages?  Was the 2 degrees in loft on average and taking out outliers really getting you 8 more yards?  You said the fitter recommended the zx7s - what was his or her reason - had to be more there than you are sharing so far.

In the end, it's pretty personal and you should talk yourself into whichever iron you want, but seem to be inconsistent in the info - suggests you are squarely on the fence, been there.  Can you get the Titleists sooner than November?  Srixon is continuing to have issues depending shafts and in general.  Maybe that doesn't matter, maybe it does.

Edited by Hawkeye77

How about your wedges? I’m not a pro but your 30 to 90 shots are your week spots  by your own admission. wedge upgrade, lessons, or practice might do the trick? With the iron upgrade of course. Wouldn’t want to deprive you of that. If you need a little help go with Srixons. 

Edited by NoTalentLefty
  • Like 2

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

7 hours ago, Indygolfer18 said:

While it didn't go as far (178) and lacked a tad bit of forgiveness, the look at address + offset + turf interaction is money.

Looks wins for me.  Sounds like you hit both well, but are more comfortable with the T100 distances right now.  A bit of forgiveness wouldn't sway me, and you might be able to adapt to the ZX7 distances, but sounds like T100 sets up perfect to your eye and does what you expect.  That might be best mentally.  Looks would be my deciding factor, even more than feel... though I'm sure both feel great.

D1 Adams XTD, NL60TX D2 Titleist TS2, D+72X 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54, 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

The 2 yards of dispersion has more to do with the increased loft than the head itself. Hit the x7 side by side with T100s for a better loft comparison. If you were hitting stock, I think Srixon is a degree flatter. 

Interesting you said the Zx7 was more forgiving? I haven't seen the new t100 in person yet, but I know the zx7 is a slightly bigger head, but would assume it would be the other way around. 

Edited by chinaski

TSI3 9˚ Tensei White AV Raw 65S 

ST200 3W Diamana D+ 70S

Mavrik Pro 20˚ KBS HY 80S

Z U45 NS Pro 1150

Z 745 5-PW - DG S300

(GP BCT)

RTX-4 50M/56F/60L - TI S400

(GP Z-Cord)

Toulon Las Vegas H7 - CT Tour Pearl White

21 Pro V1X

13 hours ago, Bye said:

Is there really much difference between the 2? The ZX7 7 iron is 2 degrees stronger and went 8 yards further. 4 yards per degree of loft is about what you should expect. 

What would help your game more, a bit more forgiveness or a club that offers a touch more in shot making. Distance wise you are only talking about how the gapping is managed IMO.

Both companies make great irons. 

Only 2 degrees difference - 34 vs. 32.

Edited by Hawkeye77

Get the T100s. You can always have the lofts bent 1 degree strong so you can feel like you’re getting a little distance boost, which will be a mental edge. You may have been fitted to the Srixons, but you clearly can play either and your comments indicate you really prefer the Titleists. And that’s why you came to us for help. 😊 No big differences. You can fine tune these two irons to play virtually the same. 

15 hours ago, Indygolfer18 said:

This is the main problem with distance irons, or irons that produce distance.  I agree with @gibbiesmalls that distance is not a bad thing, it will more often help than hurt if you have decent control but I am with you here.  I do not want a 30 yard gap from my PW to my GW.  I guess you could always go the next step and redo the bottom end of your bag but for me, I like my wedge set-up and do not want to mess with it, so if I find the yardage gap between the PW and GW too close, or too far apart, I don't play those irons.  Probably been mentioned but you could bend the ZX7 weak.  I do think Srixon makes a hell of a players CB so I don't think you'd be upset with them and if they offer more forgiveness than the T100, well, I'd probably go that route honestly and just have them bent to suit my gaps.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim2 10.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60s

Taylormade Sim Ti 15  Aldila Rogue Silver 70s

Ping G25  TFC 189s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/8

Taylormade Spider x navy 34.5"

Snell MTB 

Titleist Players 4

I’m a Srixon guy so clearly biased. But if yardage gaps at the bottom of your bag are an issue you need to look holistically at your set up.

I used to have a 25 metre gap between AW and SW when I was playing the Z545 - the AW was a Srixon and the SW a Cleveland RTX 2.0.  That big a gap is no good and it was one of the reasons why I moved to the 765/965.

Given the ZX7 are as “player” as they come from Srixon if you still have big gapping issues I would suggest there might be other things at play eg. shafts, length etc.

If there’s not, and the Titleist don’t give you those gapping issues, then the choice is clear

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

On 8/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, Indygolfer18 said:

I had an iron fitting today and am having a hard time deciding which should take priority. I was fitted into the ZX7s, and while they were awesome, the lofts are pretty low and they go a mile. I'm not sure that hitting a 186 yard 7 iron is a good thing?

Buy a set of Srixon Z Forged !

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Control 100%.   You want not only left/right dispersion, but you want your irons to fly pretty consistent each time give you good gapping/coverage.  With that 7 iron yardage, you'll end up with probably a 145-150 PW, does that fit into your bag with your other wedges? 

While on a totally different universe of playing, watching Tiger go through how his TM irons were developed was fascinating.  He wanted to make sure his new irons matched up with his old irons.  It's a really solid way of thinking, I think. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 8/14/2021 at 12:21 AM, gibbiesmalls said:

Distance is never a bad thing.  Ever. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

I wish I hit my LW 150 yards with the same control I have with it now that I only hit it 80. Strokes gained has clearly established that distance matters and probably the biggest contributor to the differences at all levels of golf. 

I don't know about you, but I have a much easier time hitting my 9 iron than a 4 iron.... and if I could hit 9 iron the distance I currently hit my 4 iron, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that I would be shooting far better scores than I do today.

Except in a lot of cases, this distance is achieved by adding length to the iron, decreasing the loft, and utilizing tech to knock the spin off the ball.  Essentially you're not accomplishing what you think you are, because that 9 iron is basically what your old 7 iron was, creating the same problem, but with a different number on the club. 

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

The problem with this kind of question is "how much distance" and "how much control" are we talking about? The discussion always devolves into generalities that are equal parts experience and prejudice about "types" of clubs or their marketing. 

What matters is exactly what a certain set of irons bring to your game. What might create totally unreasonable gaps for one guy might only mean you have to tweak a couple clubs's loft by a degree or maybe switch lofts on your first wedge. And an iron that might give you perfectly good distance control might be a low-spin pseudo-flyer waiting to happen on every shot for someone else's swing. 

I remember a young plus-handicap fellow at my club switching to T300 irons and AVX balls a couple years ago even though he's not really lacking in distance. You'd look at that "type" of club and ball and think he's going to lose control and have his distances go all wonky. But he found that he could hit his trajectory windows, get good club gapping and still stop balls on greens with T300/AVX much better than with his old AP2/ProV1 combination. That combo just clicked for him and he'd have never known until he tried them. 

• Like 2

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.