Players irons...distance vs. control?

Indygolfer18

For me it would be which of the 2 irons do I hit off of grass the most consistently?  From what I understand the sole designs on your 2 choices are very different so turf interaction should be better from one of them over the other.  

Edited by larryd3
  • Like 2

SIM2 Autoflex 505
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Apex 21  6-gap 
54* SM8
Sub70 JB low bounce 58* or SM8 58*
PXG Operator H

Seems to me the answer is to go with the Zx7's and bend them weaker, tighten up the gaps on the bottom end.  

Ultimately, I wouldn't worry that your 32* or 34* club says "7" on the sole (or if it says "6" or even "5").  It's still a 32* or 34* club.  Loft still dictates distance, the club number has been given far too much weight over the years...

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Always control, but I don't hit it very far. 

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I hit my 36 deg. 7 iron no more than 160. I also recently switched to old blades and a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron I should be able to stop the ball with it and my 4i and 5i w/in 20 feet. My distances are covered from 120 to 205.

Distance only really matters off the tee and it took me many years to finally understand that. I think most fitters are going to suggest what people want to hear - that a 180 yard 7 iron is a good thing.

BTW, even though I am short with my irons I can still manage over 260 w/my driver.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

I've always tended toward the "control" end of things and have used non-juiced irons (last three sets were forged Srixon irons, never played the ZX7).

However, one shot I really love to hit is the controlled 3/4 iron shot that travels 80% as far as a full swing but is much straighter and easier to pull off. It occurs to me that stronger irons could make this shot even more appealing, since the 3/4 distance from a "distance" set might be the same as the full-swing distance from my current irons. 

Might have to experiment with this. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

I've tried multiple times to go to a more forgiving/longer "players" type iron.  For me the front to back dispersion is always much larger, I also tend to miss long and left more often.  It's enough to scare me away from the hot irons.  A smaller dispersion circle wins for me, unless it's only slightly bigger and I'm gaining a significant boost in distance.  I'm still looking for that unicorn though.

• Like 1

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

18 minutes ago, DeCuchi said:

I've tried multiple times to go to a more forgiving/longer "players" type iron.  For me the front to back dispersion is always much larger, I also tend to miss long and left more often.  It's enough to scare me away from the hot irons.  A smaller dispersion circle wins for me, unless it's only slightly bigger and I'm gaining a significant boost in distance.  I'm still looking for that unicorn though.

I definitely benefit (couple of strokes) from a big ol' SGI iron rather than a more player-ish one. Other than maybe a bit tougher time digging the ball out of the rough I'd say the only downside to the SGI irons is the once per round or so I come a little OTT and instead of just a pull I get these high pull-draw-hook monsters that can end up just miles offline and probably long as well. 

When I had AP2's and such I don't recall ever hitting that shot. Or not more than once in a blue moon anyway. But it is always waiting to bite me when my "hit" impulse takes over with the hot-faced, large-body irons I play now. On balance one disaster shot per round is easier to deal with than the steady drip-drip-drip of strokes wasted from mediocre contact resulting in anemic shots with the smaller clubs. 

• Like 1

From August 18, 2021 I will be away from GolfWRX for a while.

Hmm no one has suggested sort the Wedge Gapping then buy the Irons to Suit.

With the long 7i,are you to play6i 5i? then Hybrid?

I just bought 52/58 zipcores by chance,so to 47pw,good feel,gap,and am re shafting my old irons to match.

Next few months i need to try higher launch 110,115 gram optons.

Zx7 had tight dispersion. T100 you had more love.All the new GI are LONG.

Thats ok.

But sort the 80 95 110 125 gaps first

So Many Great Choices....Copper Mizunos in October mmmmmmmm

ps new level 902 cb classic look,on sale🙂

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

1 hour ago, DeCuchi said:

I've also had dispersion issues with various levels of game improvement irons, but I seem to get at least as much an increase in lateral dispersion as anything. 

Hence the clubs in my bag.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

On 8/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, Indygolfer18 said:

At what point does distance become a bad thing?

When you don't have control of the result.  

I can push each of my irons 10-12yds longer than stock, but going after 15yds, dispersion increases to the point, it's a bad thing.

I was a 600-meter shooter in my youth...  I could make 700, but it was a crap shoot as to the impact zone.  That essentially, made that distance a bad thing. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Control first for sure but if the ball goes further, the dispersion will of course get bigger.  In this kind of fitting, I always wish they can let me hit the 6,7 iron of the T100 and 8,7 iron of ZX7.

• Like 1

TM Sim2 10.5, Autoflex 505

TM Sim2 Ti 3 wood, turn down to 13, GD AD TP 6S.
Titleist 16.5 TS2, GD AD TP 6S

Ping G425 3 Hybrid, turn up to 20, Alta CB S.
Callaway Mavrik 5 Hybrid Project X Cataylst 70 6.0
PXG Gen4 0311P, 6 to PW. KBS TGI 80.

PXG Forge Gap Wedge, KBS TGI 80.
TM MG2 54, 58. KBS TGI 95.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.

Snell MTB X.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I look at it this way. If a given club doesn't hit long enough to reach the green I can use a longer club. If my irons are long but I'm missing greens because they're not accurate I'm losing strokes. Putting beats chipping.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

On 8/14/2021 at 1:10 AM, Indygolfer18 said:

I had an iron fitting today and am having a hard time deciding which should take priority. I was fitted into the ZX7s, and while they were awesome, the lofts are pretty low and they go a mile. I'm not sure that hitting a 186 yard 7 iron is a good thing? I loved the T100 too. While it didn't go as far (178) and lacked a tad bit of forgiveness, the look at address + offset + turf interaction is money.

Shot dispersion was pretty good with both, a little bit better with the T100 but the ZX7s were within a 2 yard radius. At what point does distance become a bad thing? And at what point do I just need to close my laptop and trust my fitter?

I wanted both distance and control. That’s why I started gaming the Titleist T200 irons. 

9 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

I wanted both distance and control. That’s why I started gaming the Titleist T200 irons. 

I tested the T100 and T200 last weekend. I wasn’t a huge fan of the T200 because miss hits at my swing speed caused high spin and basically killed distances. I found that interesting. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver: 2017 Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: 710 AP2 w/ True Temper DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM6 set (52/56/60) w/ True Temper DG X100

Putters: Bettinardi BB1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:49 AM, Indygolfer18 said:

No, that’s why I’m confused on which direction to go. ZX7 was really consistent distance-wise, forgiving, and had great ball flight. I just don’t know if the extra distance that comes with them is something that would disrupt my game. The worst part of my game is 30-90 yards right now and having to hit more half shots because I’m carrying a PW 145 doesn’t sit well with me!

T100 spun more and flew a little bit less, and was slightly less forgiving on low face shots. IMO it was outperformed by the Srixon’s but it fills my gaps better. 

This is a brilliant deduction!! You need consistency in distance (including gaps) as well as accuracy. I find golf to be much EASIER if I have to manufacture shots on a limited basis. Do I actually score better? Hard to say. A few years ago I spent a ton of time working on 100y in. I had it all down pat for quite a while. This year I haven't had the time to work on it as much as before and I lost my edge very quickly, which has been tremendously frustrating! Some days it's there and some days it's not. Thankfully my putting had been quite good and has kept me at the same hcp. I have now found myself going back to hitting to certain distances for my approaches if my touch is off.

It all comes down to how much time you have to dedicate to your game. If you can get in the amount of practice needed to maintain sharpness in the partial shots, then you can go for max distance all the time. But when you lose that edge and start leaving 40y pitches 30' from the hole, it really eats into your confidence and makes for a frustrating round.

In a nut shell, you have to figure out what is best for YOU. Listen to others, but don't think you have to toe their line.

BT

• Like 1

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° Proforce V2 Black 7F4 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

Depends on your preferences and playing style. If you're someone who hits a lot of different shots and trajectories.....a classically lofted, thinner profile is probably better. If you don't care about that as much - then the extra club of distance might help - but I would look at land angles/spin/height/ before focusing solely on distance. 

Personally I prefer control. I like heavy shafts, thin soles, and classic lofts. 

• Like 1

Distance is never really a bad thing especially if you're playing long courses.  Some of the best players I know, successful competitive amateurs, are playing 'players distance' irons like P770's and Apex Pro 21.  They are long hitters to begin with.  If you're not playing long courses and are mostly seeing approach shots inside 150, distance if less important if you're already a reasonable long hitter.  If you're playing courses that give you some 175-225 approaches and par 3's, take all the distance you can get as long as you can stop in on the green.

• Like 2

Every time I choose an iron in an effort to pick up distance, my game goes to pieces. Bottom line for me is that, when I hit my irons long, I always end up trying to hit them longer.

Choose the set that helps you hit your distances with an easy swing. If you have to hit an iron hard to get your distance, you should be pulling a longer iron out of the bag. 

Now, if I can just remember my own advice, I might start playing good golf again!  Ha ha!

• Like 3

If you hit the 7 iron too far I guess you could always hit the 8 iron? Isn't that the reason we play a 'set' of irons. To cover all our distance gaps? 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 8/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, Golf64 said:

Spin could do with being a bit higher. Decent angle is very good. Might be time for a diff. shaft/ball?!

On 8/14/2021 at 9:10 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Other than the majestic distance, how was it outperformed?  The first post suggested a little more distance for the zx7, the T100s were better in appearance and had better dispersion and distance was apparently fine.  What irons do you hit now and how do the distances compare (in reality)? Whatever the less forgiveness on some low on the face shots part means seems like a nitpick. Are the T100s spinning unreasonably other than the fact the loft is higher? Or is the zx7 spinning too low? Looks like more info coming in vs. the original post, but not really anything to suggest that the zx7s were outperforming and was the distance unreasonable?  Are the distances the averages?  Was the 2 degrees in loft on average and taking out outliers really getting you 8 more yards?  You said the fitter recommended the zx7s - what was his or her reason - had to be more there than you are sharing so far.

In the end, it's pretty personal and you should talk yourself into whichever iron you want, but seem to be inconsistent in the info - suggests you are squarely on the fence, been there.  Can you get the Titleists sooner than November?  Srixon is continuing to have issues depending shafts and in general.  Maybe that doesn't matter, maybe it does.

IMO the ZX7s performed a lot better on mishits in regards to ballspeed and ball flight. I would say it was noticeably more forgiving (not to imply that the T100 isn't forgiving, just not as much as the ZX7s to me). Right now I'm hitting 712 AP2s and my 7i (35*) is my 175 club. The T100 7i is 34*, and the ZX7 or T100s are both 32*. The distances are the averages as well.

The fitter thought the ZX7s were better for me because of distance and mishit performance. My personal thoughts are that the ZX7s are a bit chunky from the top compared to what I have now, and the eyes are great at lying to you. The spin is a bit lower than I'd like for a 7i and that I'd make my wedge game more demanding for myself. Then again, the ZX7s lofts are progressive to where the PW is 46* just like the T100, and the ZX7 9i is 41* compared to the T100 being 42*.

Shaft wise, I was fitted into the PX LZ 6.5s which isn't stock in either head but is stock in the T100s which I'm least interested in between the two. I'm not too concerned when they'll get here since I'm practicing more than I'm playing.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

How about your wedges? I’m not a pro but your 30 to 90 shots are your week spots  by your own admission. wedge upgrade, lessons, or practice might do the trick? With the iron upgrade of course. Wouldn’t want to deprive you of that. If you need a little help go with Srixons. 

Taking lessons right now and fighting some long-term early extension that I never cured back in HS golf on top of shortening the backswing. I've been working on my a lot wedge game for a month or so and it's gotten better. Also ordered a new set of wedges that fill distance gaps better with the shafts my irons were fitted in too...

Gut tells me Srixons even though they aren't as nice to look at and hopefully ball striking will bring the spin up.

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2021 at 1:17 AM, TallGuy90 said:

Depends on your game. I hit my 7 160 carry with 10-12 yard Increments. I don’t find my self need a 190 plus club very often . 

That's what the pragmatic golfer who takes hybrid or 2i off most tee boxes in me says too. I try to leave myself 100-130 when possible to avoid half shots and rarely hitting irons from 190+. Planning to play some tournaments next year but it's hard to convince my friends to play the tips these days.

I think in the bigger picture, I'm realizing that there aren't many iron sets that are aimed at guys who hit it long but still want a little bit of forgiveness + workability. A lot of better player irons are being delofted in chase of ball speed...maybe I'm in the minority on this because everybody wants a little bit more distance right now it seems.

Edited by Indygolfer18