tour edge exotics xcg

Alpha3

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='payne7744' post='875626' date='Jan 21 2008, 07:01 PM']how forgiving is it, what market segment is it aimed at. 9hcp, 95mph ss and hit fade, should i wait for them to get here or just get the l4v. ;)[/quote]

XCG is not the most forgiving driver on the market. My 9* G10 launches much higher and is much more forgiving. I've only been able to play my XCG for a week or so, from what I've seen so far it's nowhere near as high launching at 9* as the G10 and definitely less forgiving.

It's a gorgeous head if they had dropped the alignment mark it would be perfect. Very muted sound and the face feels really lively. If you're a guy who loves to move the ball both ways it's a great head because it will let you do so better than any other driver head I've tried recently.

I don't know what your game is like, but were I in your shoes, I'd consider the 10.5 or even 12* model.

The XCG is a great feeling club as good as any driver out there, but it has a heavy fade bias built in. I normally can draw just about any driver setup (open faced tour clubs included) but I cant turn the XCG over. This club seems to work better playing for a power fade. However when you pull that shot off the results are awesome. If you set up for a draw you can easily loose the club right getting stuck (similar to the TW fore right miss off the tee). The DVS is a great shaft and getting it at no upcharge is a bargin. The other EXotics driver the XLD is more playable, but it doesnt have a good feel and sound and the pentagon shape might not appeal to everyone. Both clubs can really rocket the ball. I think what Tour Edge should do is develop a high MOI driver with the magnesium crown and feel of the XCG. If they combined the moi of the XLD with the feel and sound of the XCG that would have been amazing.

Went to my local Mom and Pop golf shop to get myself a driver. Hit all kinds of combos in FT-5 and Burner TP on the monitor. Happen to know the owner well and he hands me a XCG - 9.0 with 65 DVS Stiff and says "I just got this yesterday from my Tour Edge guy and I was waiting for you to take the first cracks with it". BY FAR better numbers with the Exotics. Expecting to walk out with a FT-5 or Burner TP and left with the Exotics.

Beautiful looking club-- it looks like a Titleist D2. DVS shaft, to me, felt like a cross of the NV and VS Proto; really nice feel (my swing speed is 98-100 and I am just below a 6 hc). Really hot face-- felt awesome off the face even on mishits. I don't know if I am doing justice/wording properly in describing the pop off of this club-- it was so noticeably better than the FT-5 and Burner-- for me. Sometimes I think they have made these drivers so light with the shifting of weight that I miss the old "whallup" feeling you used to get-- this club has that. I saw pretty good numbers still on mishits-- good sound too. I have never hit an Exotics product so needless to say I am very impressed. Also, I'm pretty much a lurker on this website so you know it must be a special product to post something about it. Just last week I kicked out my Callaway X 3 wood and bought the Exotics 3 wood, I have been that impressed with them. I also ordered one of the CNC forged iron samples-- I'm hooked.

I recently demoed both the XCG and the XLD.

I walked in wanting to buy the XCG, but ended up with the XLD. All in all, they are both great clubs, and as nice as anything out there. I'm usually about a 6 to 8 handicap, and hit the ball a fairly long way. I know the XCG is supposed to be the "better players" club, but I found the XLD so long and straight, and easy to hit, that I swallowed my pride and picked one up.

The differences are kind of a similar to the Titleist D1 and D2. The sound and look of the XLD aren't as pleasing as the XCG, but the results were better. That being said, the looks and sound aren't so outrageous that I won't get used to them very quickly. Of course, since I am a huge Tour Edge fan, I'll probably pick up an XCG some time as well.

I don't know if this is a first, but I will be starting off the spring with a complete Exotics bag. I used to live near the Tour Edge plant, and started buying their equipment when they were only selling locally out of a few Chicago Golf Shops, so I've watched their growth and played at least some of their equipment for a long time. The bottom line is I can play equally poorly with any brand of club, and my handicap rarely changes much, so I decided to go full boat with Exotics and give it a try.

Driver Exotics XLD
4 Wood Exotics CB1
Hybrid 19* Exotics CB2
4-PW Exotics CNC Forged Blades
52*, 56*, 60* Exotics Xtreme Spin Wedges

[quote name='Greggz' post='879126' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:19 PM']I recently demoed both the XCG and the XLD.

I walked in wanting to buy the XCG, but ended up with the XLD. All in all, they are both great clubs, and as nice as anything out there. I know the XCG is supposed to be the "better players" club, but I found the XLD so long and straight, and easy to hit, that I swallowed my pride and picked one up.[/quote]

Yep The XLD is point and shoot. Right there with the L4V for accuracy, and just a bit longer. I wish it had the feel and sound of the xcg.

[quote]4-PW Exotics CNC Forged Blades[/quote]

Sorry to threadjack, BUT how do you like the irons and what was your set before these. How do they compare. Man are they gorgeous!

Concerning the XCG. I am a grossly high spin player-- too steep of a swing but very consistent swing. The XCG was the best at controlling the spin, consistently 600 to 800 less rpm-- I could not believe it. It was like I found the holy grail FOR ME. I hit a nice mid level ball that just flattens out with no balloning and some good run to boot. I am really in awe if you can't tell :man_in_love:

[quote name='pavelparks' post='879468' date='Jan 23 2008, 09:17 PM'][quote]4-PW Exotics CNC Forged Blades[/quote]

Sorry to threadjack, BUT how do you like the irons and what was your set before these. How do they compare. Man are they gorgeous!
[/quote]

The Forged CNC are one of the nicest looking sets on the market today. You are right, they look gorgeous just sitting in the bag. Very simple, clean, old school looking club. No wild paint fills, plastics, etc. They look even better in person than in the photos.

While I haven't played them on the course (winter here in MI), I've been hitting them regulary at an indoor range. They set up beautifully behind the ball, with very little offset, and fit my eye very well. They are a smaller head, and side by side make the MX-25 or MP-57 look large in comparison. The forging feels sweet, and they are easy to control the distance, height, direction, and shape of the shot.

During my search, I demoed about every players iron I could think of over the course of several weeks. I wasn't really considering the Forged CNC at first, but took a moment to hit them one afternoon. They are a lot easier to hit than their looks would indicate, and I loved the feel right off the bat. They call them blades, but they are really kind of a muscle/small cavity back design.

In the end it came down to the Cobra Carbon CB or the Forged CNC. As I mentioned in my last post, I am a Tour Edge fan, and their 4 wood is the longest surviving member of my bag, so I admit I am somewhat biased. There are lots of great irons out there right now, but you won't find many that set up so beautifully behind the ball, or are sweeter on impact.