Would you rather be....

putterboy75

On 8/15/2021 at 5:49 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'm a solid bogey golfer. I wear nice golf attire when I play because it's the most comfortable. My game is good enough for the little effort I put into it. Being scratch would mean I spend too much time on my game and not doing other things I like. Dressing nicely takes no effort and often gets you treated better. 

I don't care what other people wear as long as they play quickly and fix ball marks. Failing the last two is unacceptable. 

This^^^I dress nicely too. So what. I wear very nice suits at work too. I like to feel like I look good. Maybe that makes me vain...don't care, it works for me.

M

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

As an engineer I wear jeans and offensive tshirts 90% of the time. I did buy a few pairs of "golf shorts" this year and have a polo if I am playing a nicer course. But I don't generally "dress up" for golf and why I'm not a member of a club with a dress code.

I have gotten a few comments on my BGD irons because they stand out. But I boast about how cheap they were, so there is that. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My goal for as long as I have played golf is to be a scratch golfer.  LOL I have not made it yet regardless of how I have dressed which has run the gamut from gym shorts and no shirt to decent golf pants and shirts that match my shoes, belt, socks, towel and hat.  So to answer the question I will take the scratch game!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nels55 said:

My goal for as long as I have played golf is to be a scratch golfer.  LOL I have not made it yet regardless of how I have dressed which has run the gamut from gym shorts and no shirt to decent golf pants and shirts that match my shoes, belt, socks, towel and hat.  So to answer the question I will take the scratch game!

Me too! Nothing looks as good as birdies & eagles feel.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think those days are gone at most golf courses. It is now football stadium golf where almost anything goes.

By way of example:

yesterday I want to the course and stopped at the range to warm up. There was a roughly 40-45 yo. guy and 3 young boys estimated by me to be about 10-12 ages.

They were separated by 4 empty stalls and did not appear to be a group. One of the boys was dressed in full out Loud clothing, (fine, well dressed) another had an orange tee shirt and an orange headband - karate kid style, and ill fitting cargo shorts.The guy at the end hits his driver and the head snaps off and goes about 50 yds down range. The boy with the headband shouts “did you see that?” he then turns to the broken driver guy and very loudly proclaims “Wow! That f**king sucks”. 

I’m shaking my head and wondering how it is possible as the kids head to the first tee.

Golf courses have sold their souls for the almighty $$.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:19 AM, Bad9 said:

Obviously the most important thing to to look the part, full on golf uniform(and yes it exists)-clean, well kept conservatively coloured polo shirt, neatly pressed pants(preferably khaki), saddle or wingtip shoes(spikeless not permitted) and a baseball style hat that is very clean. You should not be allowed on a course without wearing this.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely the game. Buddy of mine had 8 year old cargo shorts, a ram putter, an old Dunlop 5w and would whip my behind. 

• Like 1

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

On 8/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, Mcgeeno said:

An orange headband and cargo shorts!

The audacity!

We need to go back to the good old days.

Doug Sanders: Biography and Career Facts

Agreed.

gty_141396747_47665725.jpg

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I'm a 20 but I love the clothes so I guess I'm a bit guilty of looking pro but playing meh. 

A spiffy new shirt or cap is almost as fun as a new club 😉

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

Give me the par score for sure. I have a buddy who is this exact person. Was a model for Nike in his younger days and looks like a linebacker that was outfitted with PGA Tour gear every time we play but can easily shoot 100+ no problem. Also has a backup outfit for the post round activites!lol! Love the dude like a brother but it's quite comical to say the least.

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

• 3 weeks later...

I’d take the game every time. I like to look nice when I play but if dressing worse means I shoot par, I’ll take it. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

For me there is nothing wrong with looking good. Not sure what a tour player your buddy looks like. Does he have sponsors logos on the shirts he buys or is it more that he looks like a golfer. For me, I take pride in how I look. Not really sure I would be comfortable playing in basketball shorts or jeans even. And yes this is my perspective. To each their own. But I would rather take that versus someone who shoots a great game but looks shabby. Now, in all seriousness, if you are shooting par or better, you will at least be dressed in some form of golf attire polo shirt and some golf shorts or pants. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

On 8/25/2021 at 10:45 PM, Quasimoto said:

Golf courses have sold their souls for the almighty $$.

May take the thread off on a tangent but...how should a course or what is a good way for a course (public) to maintain there selected level of dress expectations without embarrassing someone and not coming off as snoody?

I see fewer and fewer public courses with the true expectations/dress code put out there.  Or you get the "proper golf attire" blurb.  You needn't look too far here to see that everyone has their own definition of proper golf attire.

I recall playing a round with a friend one summer at a state park course.  It was brutally hot that day and this was in the days before performance fabric type shirts.  He had on a cotton polo shirt over a white cotton undershirt.  By the 14th hole or so he had soaked both shirts so decided to take off the polo.  Marshall Dillon was on him quick about it.  Now I doubt they enforce that rule.  And I know they let people play in jeans because a group of us played a round there this spring when it was still very cool.  Some guys were wearing jeans.

I've said it here before but there is some sort of neural path in our noggins that connects the fact you are wearing certain clothing to how you act.  I know when I put on a suit it is weird but I get hyper aware of manners and my mannerisms.  Like because I am dressed up (for me) I even eat and drink differently, even subconsciously. 

• Like 1

Low single and scratch players are always top of the pyramid no matter what.  In golf, clubs do the real talking.  And the tier right below is golfers of any skill who know how to handle themselves, stick to the rules and are not slow.  The loud full-of-crap hacker is not uncommon but you spot them after a hole most of the time.  

Edited by naval2006

I appreciate my "privilege" that comes with being a good golfer!🤩🤣

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

• 1 year later...

Funny thing is the player you mentioned in the latter choice do exist. Many exist now with the equipment. I have never seen so many players with funky swings who just recently took up golf hit GIR before. Now don't get me wrong this game is still challenging just saying how good equipment has gotten.

Now to answer your question, I would rather the latter. It would be embarrassing to have people think you're good only to see you tee off with your player's driver in X-flex and 75g shaft duff it to the ladies t box.

Sorry I think I misunderstood your question. If they will never see me play then by all means let them think i'm a good player and let the rounds continue.

Edited by Ifelloffladder

• 9 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:23 PM, putterboy75 said:

I have a friend who insists on presenting himself as you'd see on the Tour, but I doubt he breaks 90 once a year. You've no doubt seen this person somewhere on your golfing journey.

It got me thinking.... would you rather look and be treated like a scratch player (we all know good players are treated better by everyone and granted unsaid privileges no matter where they go compared to players who appear newer to the game, or unfortunately even worse, women players who receive no initial respect no matter how good they are) but score far higher, OR... the opposite: look like you've recently taken up golf and have old equipment, a homemade swing, less polished appearance, etc....but shoot par?

I hope I know the answer, but am intrigued by others feelings.

I'm not easily impressed. Unless the guy sporting the high end equipment shoots 75 or under every round. Then? I am most impressed. 

I've seen all kinds out there in the wild.  The guy all pimped out in Peter Millar clothing, Titleist clubs/bag, exotic range finder, etc....down to the guy in cargo shorts and t-shirt, playing with a box-set of clubs from Walmart.  Personally I would prefer to dress more relaxed and take the lower score than  look the part of a pro and play really poorly. Most of the places around here are pretty loose on their dress code; really only the private clubs make you wear a collared shirt and so on and so forth.

Certain golf equipment can sort of send a message about status.  Way back in the day, I can remember often being intimidated when I would get paired up with someone and seeing them with a bag full of Titleist clubs.  I assumed that anyone hitting Titleist clubs must be a really good or really serious golfer, much more so than me on the more casual side.  I realized that's not always true, but interesting how certain equipment or clothing brands can play mind games like that.

Probably the best golfer I've ever played with was a regular guy at local club I used to play at;  beat up old tennis shoes, cargo shorts, Walmart "Dunlop" irons and an old scratched up Wilson driver.  He often shot in the 60's from the Blues.  If you've got a good swing and smart course management, it doesn't matter how your equipment or clothes look.

On the flip side of this, I did know a guy that had all the latest/greatest of everything, expensive equipment, etc....and he was lucky to break 100.  He would say that with having the best equipment eliminates an excuse for playing bad, "I can't blame my poor play on having crappy golf clubs" kind of mentality.

Edited by Kai Slater

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

I get the sense that the guy the OP is talking about is probably over the top about his look and presentation.

I, too, like to dress well on the course, but it wasn't always that way. I had to get fired from a miserable job and stop feeling miserable before I started dressing in golf wear. I take pride in my golf appearance. If some people find that off putting I can't help that. If they find it comical, so be it.....

In fact, nothing is more comical than looking the part and suddenly duffing it. Thank GOD I'm past that, because it's like farting in the elevator out loud when everybody knows it was you........ 😆

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: Rossa Lambeau (Maybe Time for a Change)

I think ppl can (should) wear whatever makes em happy/comfortable. If ur not that good but like dressing nicely, more power to ya. This reminds me of the ppl that give bad players with nice new gear a hard time.

Id rather play with the guy that dresses nicely or has nice new gear that can’t break 100 than the dude judging either of em. 

• Like 2

Coach Prime, Deion Sanders, used to say...."when you dress good, you look good.....When you look good, you feel good......when you feel good, you play good....when you play good, they pay good."

• Like 1

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

50 minutes ago, Kai Slater said:

Coach Prime, Deion Sanders, used to say...."when you dress good, you look good.....When you look good, you feel good......when you feel good, you play good....when you play good, they pay good."

That's it right there! Lol

Except for the pay part.... Where do I sign up to get paid?  Hehe

• Like 1

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: Rossa Lambeau (Maybe Time for a Change)

• 1 month later...

Every time dressing like a pro is mentioned I always think of a random golfer I crossed paths with at a local public course about 5 years ago. The image of someone with a full puma orange outfit with a matching orange cobra staff bag is something I can never get out of my head. My friend I was playing with that day asked me if the P on his hat meant pro. I don’t normally pay attention to other golfers on the range before a round but I couldn’t help but watch. This particular player did not have the game to back up the look and to top it off I saw him on the course a few holes ahead carrying that massive staff bag. Anyways to answer the question give me the game. Results matter more than looks. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego