Golf trip ideas

Our crew from the east coast has done the following trips:

Harbor Town

Pinehurst

Kohler/Erin

Streamsong

Erin/Sand Valley/Straits

Looking for ideas for 2022...Cabot would be a great trip.  Bandon might be too hard for our crew to get to right now, same for Pebble/Monterey Peninsula.

Ozarks looks awesome but also not easy to get to from Tri-State.

Any other suggestions?  Kiawah, Greenbrier, TPC Sawgrass...keep em coming!

Thanks

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

You've set the bar incredibly high and then removed the most obvious places that fit in with the others.

RTJ trail in Alabama would be a suggestion but admittedly perhaps a half step (or whole one) below those places you have listed and logistically not the easiest either.  

If you stuck with RTJ type of thing I feel that picking a hub area or city and mixing in other local courses helps you from a logistics standpoint.  North Alabama has several RTJ courses and others you could mix in to round out the trip and use Huntsville or Florence as a base, leaning towards Huntsville.

Birmingham/Hoover would be the other group I would look into.  Finally the Gulf Coast area of Alabama/ Panhandle of Florida.

Not sure your timing of your trip but it is hot and muggy for 11.5 months out of the year in Alabama.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

Harbor Town

Pinehurst

Kohler/Erin

Streamsong

Erin/Sand Valley/Straits

Looking for ideas for 2022...Cabot would be a great trip.  Bandon might be too hard for our crew to get to right now, same for Pebble/Monterey Peninsula.

Thanks

Kiawah is definitely #1 on my list if you've never been.  Myrtle Beach/Pawleys Island is also a good trip.  Charleston has a good mix of public courses that don't break the bank.  I've never been to Reynolds lake in Georgia but have heard good things.

• Like 1

Like @smashdn said, you've basically been to all the major "golf trip destinations" and they few you haven't been to you said you've eliminated (Big Cedar, Bandon, Pebble).

The only two destinations I would put in the same (or at least a close second) category to your previous trips would be:

Sea Island Georgia - 3 solid courses at the resort, and there is plenty to do outside of golf. The only downside is this may feel too similar to the Hilton Head / Harbor Town trip you did already.

Michigan - Could do a day or two at Arcadia Bluffs and then head over to Forest Dunes for another day or two. Obviously the downside here is that you'd probably have to switch accommodations during the trip unless you stayed somewhere like Traverse City. However, if you did that you've be looking at a 60 - 90 minute drive to the courses each day.

• Like 1

Big Cedar is an excellent destination. We played there in May, and enjoyed it immensely. Great resort all around, with more than just golf if you want.

In terms of getting there, you could fly to either KC or Little Rock. It's about a 2 hour drive from Little Rock, and 3.5 from KC. Neither is that much different than getting to Bandon from Portland or Eugene.

• Like 1

How would a sample Northern Michigan trip look?

Titleist ProV1x

also, anyone been to Payne's Valley?  Might not be so hard to get to

Titleist ProV1x

I think Kiawah is one great golf course surrounded by mediocre over priced other courses. Was really disappointed in Cougar and Osprey. They kind of stink. 

I would vote Pawley's Island over Kiawah as True Blue and Caledonia are excellent golf courses. Also, you aren't too far from Myrtle Beach if you wanted to play any of those or some courses in Murrell's Inlet. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

also, anyone been to Payne's Valley?  Might not be so hard to get to

Payne's Valley is at Big Cedar Lodge. It's fabulous. Ozarks National & Buffalo Ridge are also there, along with a two par 3 courses; one by Jack Nicklaus, and one by Gary Player (13 holes!)

• Like 1

We've done basically all of them.  From the list of what you've done, Cabot Cliffs would be the top one in the east you are missing. Kiawah, Sea Island and Northern Michigan would be good.  Casa De Campo in the Dominican is a good trip with 3 Dye courses on property including Teeth of the Dog (short-ish plane ride for you).

If you don't want to go all the way to the West Coast, but are willing to go part way, The Prairie Club in Nebraska is good, as is the right combo of courses in Mesquite NV/St. George, Utah and Scottsdale is good.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

Payne's Valley is at Big Cedar Lodge. It's fabulous. Ozarks National & Buffalo Ridge are also there, along with a two par 3 courses; one by Jack Nicklaus, and one by Gary Player (13 holes!)

ah good to know.  What's their "prime time" or best month to go typically? Is August crazy hot?

Titleist ProV1x

1 hour ago, LBRMGR said:

Harbor Town

Pinehurst

Kohler/Erin

Streamsong

Erin/Sand Valley/Straits

Thanks

Other than Streamsong I have done all of the ones on your list.

Cabot is definitely a good call.

I wouldn't rule out Monterey. It's actually pretty easy to get to and if you skip Pebble there's still a lot of really good, affordable golf.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, LBRMGR said:

Depending on length of stay there are 3 must play courses.  1. Kingsley club. it is private but a call from a pro gets you on. Not too hard to book.  IMO the best course I have played in Michigan (Havn't Played Crystal Downs)  2. Arcadia Bluffs (they have a new south course I have not played but have heard it is adequate).  Awesome course fun to play.  They also have some large group villas on site that are fun with a private putting green.  3. Forest Dunes.  Not super unique, but it is a really good Weiskopf design.  I enjoy his designs.  The loop is next door with two 18 hole courses.  Some love it.  Interesting at a minimum.  Also has accommodations on site, and not a significant drive from Traverse City which you would use as a home base.  There are a bunch of other really good courses (not world class) that you can add it that would be great if you have the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vallygolf said:

Depending on length of stay there are 3 must play courses.  1. Kingsley club. it is private but a call from a pro gets you on. Not too hard to book.  IMO the best course I have played in Michigan (Havn't Played Crystal Downs)  2. Arcadia Bluffs (they have a new south course I have not played but have heard it is adequate).  Awesome course fun to play.  They also have some large group villas on site that are fun with a private putting green.  3. Forest Dunes.  Not super unique, but it is a really good Weiskopf design.  I enjoy his designs.  The loop is next door with two 18 hole courses.  Some love it.  Interesting at a minimum.  Also has accommodations on site, and not a significant drive from Traverse City which you would use as a home base.  There are a bunch of other really good courses (not world class) that you can add it that would be great if you have the time.

super helpful - and Crystal Downs is impossible without knowing a member?

Titleist ProV1x

4 minutes ago, LBRMGR said:

super helpful - and Crystal Downs is impossible without knowing a member?

Most Likely.  I didnt try, but it is quite exclusive.

Traverse city is a great getaway.  Arcadia with the group accommodations is awesome.  It will be on par with other trips.  Only tricky logistics is that FD is over an hour away from traverse city.  If you can swing it two days at FD is worth while.  

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LBRMGR said:

There have been a number of Michigan trips put together in the Midwest subforum, if you're interested in looking at what others have done.

Really, it depends on a couple things -- how long are you coming for, how many rounds do you want to play, what other activities (if any) are important to you, do you want to stay on-property, what is your tolerance for driving?

Let's say your group is coming for a week and plays 18 most days but 36 once or twice.  

Day 1 -- morning flight into Grand Rapids, drive ~ 45 min to play American Dunes or play Hemlock in Ludington, drive about 2 hours to Arcadia, check in to lodging (2 nights)  (edit:  Hemlock is on the way so it would shave a few minutes off the drive time)

Day 2 -- Play Arcadia Bluffs, Play Arcadia South (optional)  or you could play something lesser like Champion Hill if you want a beer round

Day 3 -- Check out, drive 1 hour to Kingsley Club (if you can get on), otherwise play another Traverse City option like Bahle Farms or one of the Grand Traverse Resort courses, drive 1h20 to Forest Dunes, check into lodging (2 nights)

Day 4 -- Play Forest Dunes, Loop (Black)

Day 5 -- Play Loop (Red), drive 2h to Tullymore - if you want a 2nd round you could break it up by playing Buck's Run in Mt. Pleasant.  Check into lodging (2 nights)

Day 6 -- Play Tullymore, Play St. Ives (optional)

Day 7 -- Check out, drive 30min, play Pilgrim's Run, head to Grand Rapids airport

That's a purely hypothetical agenda which might not fit your group at all, but it's a lot of good golf.  And it doesn't include Bay Harbor, Black Lake, Treetops, True North (if you can get on) ...  I have no idea how you get on Crystal Downs, but if you have the pull, play it.  CD and Kingsley would be an incredible 36 and you could definitely do a longer stretch in the Traverse City area.

Edited by postfold
  • Like 3

Scottsdale would be good. Stay in one place. An itinerary might be one round at

Troon North Pinnacle and/or Monument

Grayhawk Raptor and/or Talon

We Ko Pa Saguaro and/or Cholla

Boulders North and/or South

Talking Stick Oodham and/or Pipaash

plus drives to

Ak Chin

Quintero

Wickenberg Ranch

Time of year would be decisive ie hotter and cheaper in summer.

plus you can go to Sedona, play Papago, Vista Verde, Apache Stronghold (great layout but in poor condition)

• 4 weeks later...

For something totally different, and if you're looking at a time in late June, July, or August and don't want strong humidity, northeast MN has:

The Wilderness - 18 holes

Giants Ridge - The Quarry (18)

Giants Ridge - The Legend (18)

Superior National - (27)

All of the above are great public tracks with affordable Stay n Play packages.

Northland CC in Duluth (Private 18, Donald Ross design overlooking Lake Superior) might be an option with a connection.

I believe Delta and/or United fly from Chicago to Duluth or you could fly to MSP and drive four hours north.

The Prairie Club in NE is also an option, especially if and when Landmand GC opens up (about 4.5 hours east of Prairie Club in Homer, NE)

• 5 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, LBRMGR said:

Harbor Town

Pinehurst

Kohler/Erin

Streamsong

Erin/Sand Valley/Straits

Thanks

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I'll second BirdieRoll, if you're looking for a summer trip it's hard to be the value and weather in Northern Minnesota.  

Big Cedar Lodge is also a good choice - I was there for a bachelor party this past summer and played Payne's Valley and Ozarks National, both good tracks.  Not the easiest to get to.  They have also built some on-site cottages now, but the rest of the resort (and Top of the Rock) is a 20-30 minute drive.  

Reynolds Lake Oconee is also a very solid spot for spring/fall, and very convenient for travel given it's proximity to ATL.  I was there last April, just stayed one night and played Great Waters and The Oconee.  Nice to have the Ritz option or cottage rentals.

If you're looking at spring or fall, another one on my list would be Mossy Oak/Old Waverly in MS.  Two solid courses, ~2 hour drive from Birmingham - seems like a nice place to rent a cottage with a group.

My friends and I have been talking about doing a FL trip: PGA National, Bay Hill, TPC Sawgrass, in the same order as the tour schedule. 

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

I'd probably go Kiawah. I've been there twice, and if you're looking for stay and play that'd be the way to go. They have 5 courses right there, a great resort, dining options, etc. 

I've also done Sawgrass, but it was a drive in for the day, play, and leave. I'd like to do a stay and play there some time though. However, if we're just talking golf course vs golf course, I liked Sawgrass better than Ocean Course. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Michigan golf in the summer is really awesome. You can even play 54 in a day (I did once), it stays light late since they are so far North. There are so many great courses in Michigan that you could go  3-4 summers in a row and play some great (and all different)courses there. The weather is awesome too. Traverse City is great too.

Here are few that i have played:

Arcadia Bluffs

Wolverine

The Bear

Black Lake

Dunmaglas

Redhawk

Gailes

Forest Dunes

Little Traverse Bay

Bay Harbor

True North

Belvedere

and I am not even scratching the surface for Michigan courses!

Edited by BEND OF THE RIVER GC
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)