Any busy guys who wished they could golf daily, then unexpectedly got all the time they ever wanted ?

mangohead

• mangohead changed the title to Any busy guys who wished they could golf daily, then unexpectedly got all the time they ever wanted ?
32 minutes ago, mangohead said:

Lottery, retirement, divorce, laid off, etc.

Now you had tons more free time than ever.

Did you actually golf daily?

What happened then?  

In general, what are your thoughts on present/future free time vs. golf intentions?

A few years ago I got let go from a job in April and had severance and new job lined up for September. Perfect recipe for lots of golf.

I ended up playing 5-6 days per week depending on the weather. Ladies day at the club was designated laundry/clean the house day. I'd also use that day for a long ride on the bike.

I was playing so much that I never really practiced and ended up getting my index to the lowest it had ever been to that point. Good times. I refer to it as my trial retirement.

• Like 1

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

About 30 years ago, I was single and working over night 11 pm to 7 am.   I would leave work, get some breakfast and go home and sleep until about 10:00.  Head out to a course around 11:00 and be done by 3:30 or 4:00.   Meet some friends for dinner or drinks.  Head home around 7:00, nap until 10:00 then head to work.  I did that 3 or 4 days a week.  Sometimes, I'd skip the drinks and just head home.  But I couldn't play 5 or 6 days a week.  As others said, it would have almost become a scheduled event not something to look forward to. 

I see the retired guys now at the course where I work that play 5 days a week, and it's almost like a job to them.   Show up regardless of weather and just muddle their way through it, in talking to them afterwards there doesn't seem to be any joy, it's just something to get them out of the house for a while. 

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

:smilie_titty: TSi1   9.0 Aldila Ascent 40g 
:smilie_titty: TSi2 16.5 FW GD IZ5

:smilie_titty:TSi1 20 & 23 Hybrid Aldial Ascent 50g
:smilie_titty:2021 T300 5-P Tensei Red R Flex
Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

Ha!

I was able to leave work a few years prior to retirement (now fully retired). 

The first year was some golf, more than it had been previously but I also tackled home improvement and maintenance projects.  We also were now able to travel and be away for extended periods of time.  The next year was more of the same.

The third year I was burned out on home improvement stuff and golfed so much I lost 30lbs but hurt my body bad enough to require a hip replacement.  Then just as I was able to go to the range and maybe play 9 holes once a week covid hit.  Finally started to get some golf in toward the end of 2020.

This year I've played about 3 times a week when I can.  I'd estimate I have about 60 in so far.  Currently I'm recovering from an injury and can't golf but it's just about all I can think about.

As soon as I'm healed enough to golf I'm back out for as much as I can get in before the weather turns to rain and cold.  I'll enjoy winter golf but not when it's pouring so rounds will probably be down to one or two a week. 

I'm lucky. Early 30's and my boss doesn't care how many hours I work, when I start for the day, or when I call it a day as long as I get my job done. 

For most weekdays, my schedule can get packed enough to where I can't make it out, but I usually always play Friday mornings along with weekends, and if I have a "dead" day, I'll sneak out for a quick round depending on if any of my fellow playing partners are available. 

I lived the life in my early 20's where I played 5-6 (sometimes 7) times a week. It's a thrill for about the first month, but I remember my game going downhill from fatigue. 

I'm hoping to walk nine holes Monday through Friday when I retire in 20 years.  

Just enough for some daily exercise and to keep the game sharp without over doing the physical stress. 

Hopefully I'll have some friends to do it with as most people I know are either older or a lot younger than me now.  

If I was going to play 18, it would be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 

Edited by St Jimmy

G425 LST 10.5 

M5 3 Wood 

G425 17 Hybrid

TM Sim DHY 

Gen 4 0311 P 5-G

Y Grind 55

PM Grind 60 

Scotty Golo 3

That's pretty much what happened to me this year after I lost my job in the spring.  While it wasn't every day (expensive when you've got no guaranteed income), I did get out once a week (for about 10 weeks in a row) and saw my performance absolutely crap the bed.  It's now going on a little over a month since I picked up a club, as life got super busy there for me.  But yes, playing more than I ever have did negatively impact my performance.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Since I retired four years ago, I average five rounds per week. If the weather permits and my body permits, I will play as many consecutive days as I can. Our golf season lasts around 32 weeks. Last year I played 159 rounds. I played round #96 today. My handicap hasn’t changed since retiring. My index has been as low as 3.1 and currently sits at 3.9. 

9 hours ago, mangohead said:

Lottery, retirement, divorce, laid off, etc.

Now you had tons more free time than ever.

Did you actually golf daily?

What happened then?  

In general, what are your thoughts on present/future free time vs. golf intentions?

Did this actually happen to you or is this just yet another inquiry?

"We've got that holiday feeling!"

I had 6 children and had to work a couple of jobs so golf was not very regular most of my younger years. After I retired I played a lot before finally settling into 2x a week plus practice days. It's enough for me.

For those wondering why some retired guys are at the course every day it may be that is the only thing in their lives that gets them out of the house. It's where their friends are, where they interact with others, and what gives them something to look forward to. When you're still in your career you don't realize how much socializing and interaction you get every day. Once you retire you don't interact with others nearly as often and some guys miss it. Personally, after 30 years of working as a LEO I was quite happy to not have to deal with the public for a while . I did eventually join a couple of leagues and got to know some guys so I'm not totally antisocial. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G425 Tensi Orange

Ping G30 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I retired right about the time COVID hit, so I have quite a bit of free time.

BUT, I have an arthritic right hip that gives me trouble on the back nine. Hip pain, plus strain on inner thigh muscle, and pain in left knee from swing pressure.  I had an oral steroid regimen, which took away most of the pain in thigh and knee. Now, mainly a linear pain in the hip. Hip pain there whether I played previous day or not.

Next week I'm supposed to get a bone density test to see where I stack up as a candidate for a hip fix. Might be a replacement, might be an injection of the new human bondo which supposedly regrows cartilage.

End remark: Although I have the time, it's tough physically to play two days in a row. Last time I did that was a May round with my brother, followed by a scramble the next day. The last few holes of the scramble, my full shots were pretty sorry.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

I am playing 3+ days a week now and that's good for me. If I ever get to retire, I would play about the same, just not quite as early (usually at the tee box by 6). 🤣

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Well I work but can make my own hours. When it's not pressing I can get to the course at 6, squeeze in a quick 9/18 before 9am and goto work. 

When my wife went out of town for 2 weeks last month, I would goto course at 6 to 9, then work until 6ish then go back to course till dark every single day.

My course is a 500 yard hike from work

I could play every day, but chose not to.  I play 1-3 times a week and that's plenty.  I've been around long enough to know, turning any hobby into an everyday activity, changes how I view the activity.  I never want my enjoyments to take on the grind of a job, and that does happen. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I am fortunate to run my own business and make my schedule. I can play almost everyday, but chose not to. I usually play 2 to 3 times per week, mostly early mornings and practice around 5 times per week. The key is to take a few weeks off here and there so you don't get burnt out. I haven't played a round since July 28th by choice. I'll get out Friday morning. I'm looking forward to it.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3W - Fuji Speeder 661 IV

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno CLK 22° - Fuji Speeder HB

Mizuno MP-68 (4-PW) - DG S300

Mizuno S18 52°/9°

Mizuno S18 58°/8°

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

A few years back I would say that I was planning to retire at 55 and couldn’t wait to play 4-5 rounds per week. I then changed jobs and started working remotely, and also had a manager that was very flexible about calendars, etc. And my kids became teenagers with their own lives outside of Mom and Dad. So all of a sudden I could work full time and still play 2-3x per week.
I’m now about 4 years into this routine, though my workload / schedule has become a little less flexible, and I still play golf about 1-2x per week, on average. I’d like to play more (4-5x), but I am not daydreaming of retiring at 55 anymore as I really enjoy my job, play a decent amount of golf, and have flexibility in terms of where I work. So I really do “have it made” so to speak. I’m more looking forward to figuring out a way to reduce my schedule somewhat at 55 to squeeze in more golf, but still work some.  I fear that when I retire, my wife will find a way to coerce me into more tennis 😀

I work for myself and have a pretty free schedule. I play 3-4 times a week.

Tried playing more, and tried playing less. This is the sweet spot for me. 

My normal days are Wednesday, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. 

Here and there I’ll throw in an extra 9 on Tuesday or Thursday and maybe play both weekend days depending on the weather. 

Our summer has just been so hot and humid it’s too taxing to play more than that. Once fall rolls in I’m sure I’ll be there a little more often again. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm