Need a little help on this - Any one have young kids that "golf"?

A little context: Had to put golf in quotations in the title because my daughter is only two (turning three tomorrow). 

About a year ago, I started taking my kiddo out to the course to ride a few holes with me. She'd carry along her plastic club and whack a plastic ball a coupe of feet before picking it up, running to the hole and dropping it in (also kicking my ball further away when she got the chance). 

As she's "grown" a bit, she's now got a few real top flite junior clubs. She basically begged me to get her some, so I caved. That was about three weekends ago, and literally every single night she's been in the backyard for an hour or two hitting these rubber Callaway balls I got her. By no means is she showing signs as a golf prodigy or some future female Tiger Woods, but she does get ahold of one every so often and send it about 20-30 yards (or 300 yards for some of the typical WRXers out there 😆).

My predicament as a father is: despite how much I would love for her to grow up in the game, I absolutely refuse to force anything on her. I'm also concerned that she's overdoing it a bit, because it's an absolute fight to get the club out of her hands so we can go back in the house, even when its in the mid-90s temperature wise. 

Should I harness this a tad bit, or just roll with it? I know that as a toddler, she will likely phase out of it eventually for new interests. This is more of a "now" question. She's not nearly as obsessive over anything else, but the first things she's asking to do after dinner is "go outside and play golf".

Another reason for this topic is that if for some reason she does decide to play for the next fifteen years or however long, I know how quickly burnout can come. 

For all I know it's probably something I shouldn't even be worrying about, and that's exactly what my wife says who is also a top notch player and can get very obsessive over a hobby/interest. Just curious to hear if any of you all had young kids that got into the game early. 

23499C48-7778-4367-94B9-DB3007EE0676.jpeg.c28d4e8a1b02c3a0255b9d12c96509ef.jpeg

Edited by caeye0710
  • Like 1

Caveat: not a parent 

dude let her own it! You say you don’t want to force her to do anything (which I love, it’s how my dad raised us and made us very independent), so don’t force her NOT to play golf!

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

I have 3 young kids.  Some days my kids love certain sports and other days they don't.  Whatever gets them outside being active I'm all for whether it's golf or not.  My advice is foster whatever she's into that gets her being active and smiling.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Key is that she wants to do it, not that you're the one pushing her to do it.  As long as that's the dynamic, she'll be happy and won't get burned out.  (You, on the other hand, might get burned out, like me with my 9-year-old wanting to go fishing every. single. night.)

Had a guy I worked with a number of years ago, when I was just out of college.  He played a ton of golf, and his 2 boys were kinda into it, but not obsessed.  His whole philosophy was based on the premise that if he had to force them to leave the driving range or the short game practice area because they didn't want to leave, then that was a major win.  He saw too many parents at his course pushing their kids way too hard, and you could see from the looks on the kids' faces that they just didn't want to be out there anymore.

So enjoy it while it lasts, whether it's 6 months or the rest of her life.

41 minutes ago, rooski said:

dude let her own it! You say you don’t want to force her to do anything (which I love, it’s how my dad raised us and made us very independent), so don’t force her NOT to play golf!

Agree fully. 

Enjoy that for what it is and always remember you don't ever get that time back and neither does she.  If that is a fond memory when you are both older, that is really something.  I clearly remember the good times with grandpa on the course when I was young.  What great memories. 

You're doing everything right, no need to overthink it.  As others have said, go along with it and let her lead the way with the interest.  My father never pushed me into anything I didn't want to do but always supported and enhanced my interests and hobbies, and I do the same for my son. For all you know, she may not even like golf, she just knows that you do and if she hits balls in the backyard she know you will be there with her. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

Let her roll with it.  Maybe some is she wants to be out with you, maybe she finds something fascinating about the game, maybe she just likes hitting things, let her find her way.  Before you know it she be like most kids, sitting on their butts staring at a screen for hours on end.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Very likely a phase (my kids went through phases with a half dozen sports). 95% sure that this phase will pass. But even if not, she may still dig the game, just not be as obsessive about it. Can't see any harm. And when she hits 8 or 10, and is still wanting to hit balls instead of vegging out on the couch and texting, you'll probably love it.

PS. Great picture. What a cutie! And I cannot believe she apparently keeps her eye on the ball through her swing - she's in her follow through and her head hasn't moved. Maybe you do have a Tiger on your hands ... 😉

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

My son was hitting whiffle ball golf balls at 18 months but played baseball as his primary sport until he was about 10-11.  Your best bet is to just introduce her to as many sports as possible and see which one makes her happiest.  For my 10 year old daughter she was in softball, golf and gymnastics until she was about 8 or 9 when it was very clear to mom and I that she loves gymnastics.  Now she spends 20+ hours per week at the gym.  Gymnastics isn't for everyone though... there is rarely a night she goes to bed without an ice pack.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

21 hours ago, caeye0710 said:

Should I harness this a tad bit, or just roll with it?

23499C48-7778-4367-94B9-DB3007EE0676.jpeg.c28d4e8a1b02c3a0255b9d12c96509ef.jpeg

Roll with it ! Know that the more she swings a club the better a player she will eventually become. If she wants to swing a club let her do it.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Two of my sons started golf at an early age.  One is 11 now and he started hitting it around at 18 months.  I probably took him to the range for the first time at age 3.  He had a great time and would literally have a complete meltdown when we had to leave.  Luckily he still plays golf and seems to enjoy it for the most part.   I have a 2 yr old who hits balls everyday, but in our backyard.  Not sure I can go through this whole jr. golf thing with him unless he shows some real promise. lol

I would just go with the flow and take your girl out as much as she wants to.  Keep it fun and if she ends up finding other interests down the line then so be it.   If she ends up quitting for a while I'm sure she will be back at it once she gets older and sees her friends playing.  good luck!!

• Like 1

Also agree just roll with it.  Introduce her to as many things as possible. 

Son was a great soccer kid, All star in baseball and basketball.  He met golf at 14 and fell in love.  Just dropped him off today for his freshman year of college.

Daughter hated golf until dancing wasn't her thing anymore.  Kids interest change. 

If you can take her out golfing with you.  At the age of your daughter just being with her is a gift.

I used to let daughters and let them putt out my hole for me.   Sometimes I would also putt and see if they can beat me.  Some the best times on the course I have ever had doing this.

Once they can actually hit the ball take them out on the course in the afternoons when it empty and play scrambles with them.    Don't worry about scores this about having fun.

By the time there 8 or 9 you will actually play golf with them and they ask you to go out on the course.

Just be prepared by the time there 12 your going to lose those rounds and by the time there 14 or 15 you be just happy you can keep up with them and enjoy watching them play.

Edited by tiger1873

Kids fall in and out of love with sports and hobbies all the time. My 12 yo daughter has been really good at everthing she has ever done, dance, gymnastics, golf and now lacrosse. But her tendency is to excel and then move on. 

This year, she told me she doesn’t want to play individual golf tournaments. Nor does she want to practice. She’s playing Jr League because we signed her up along with her younger brother earlier in the year and now she’s on the all-star team, heading to the section championship.  She tells people we “forced” her to enter DCP and literally complained on the way to the first two rounds, but now that she’s advanced to the regional round, she wants to win and go to Augusta. (In truth, I signed her up and gave her the choice to go or not go.)

The thing with her is that she loves golf but not the pressure of tournament golf. Maybe she’ll change her mind in the future, but if not, so be it. I couldn’t care less if she plays college golf. I’m more interested in keeping her in the game for the long haul so she, her brother and I can take golf trips together when they’re older. So I let her pick and choose what and when to play.

Edited by BFD3
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I can give you my past experience with my son.  He started wanting to go to the course about age 4.  I was able to borrow some US Kids clubs that fit him.  Set him up about 100 out on Par 4s and 125 on Par 5s.  Par 3s were only about 40-50 yards.  That being said, he lost interest after about 2-3 holes and spent rest of his time playing in the sand with the rake.  Always made sure sand was left in good condition before moving on too.  

Once he got older, about 6 or 7, he would be able to hold interest for 9 holes. Wasn't until he was about 10 that he wanted to do 18.  Key is letting them tell you what they can handle by their actions.  Don't start lessons too early either.  They will let you know in their kid way when they are ready for lessons. Do get them proper clubs for their size.  A shop locally has an excellent trade program for kids clubs so it isn't so expensive.  Main thing is making it fun for them and enjoying the time with your child on the course.

• Like 1