2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tell me why I'm wrong about putter shafts - *updated, put a Whiteboard in a putter and it's not terrible...*

EDT501

26 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

I decided against the blueboard. Since I’m taking so much off the tip and butt, a mid-kick shaft seemed out of place given the context of the experiment…

So I’m using a whiteboard instead!

I have the original BGT but I love this idea.  Mostly bc it will bw lighter.  Torque on BGT is 1.0 but Diamana XX can be 1.9 and prob higher when you cut.  But also lighter, BGT is 100 grams. 

Just to throw another kink in this thread, I have a putter with a HICKORY shaft and it only twists when I have a putt over 50yds.

So, everything else out there should be fine!

BT

• Like 3

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

2 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Just to throw another kink in this thread, I have a putter with a HICKORY shaft and it only twists when I have a putt over 50yds.

So, everything else out there should be fine!

BT

I should’ve thought of this first. 0% chance I make it through the end of the year without trying that. I know a guy who is deeeeeep into hickory and has probably a few hundred clubs, I bet I can get something useful from him.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

10 minutes ago, ReidThompson said:

I have the original BGT but I love this idea.  Mostly bc it will bw lighter.  Torque on BGT is 1.0 but Diamana XX can be 1.9 and prob higher when you cut.  But also lighter, BGT is 100 grams. 

The lighter part is part of the reason I am interested in this experiment. I like lighter putters, but also play them a decent bit over length because at my height I find the setup much more comfortable. Currently have my head as light as I can get it. If I can bring total weight down while increasing head weight that’d be nice.

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

Gotcha. I agree regarding the average player benefitting from high MOI for the reasons you mentioned, I was just using the logic that if the pro rarely mishits putts and therefore doesn't really need the "help", then I feel like high MOI putters wouldn't be as popular on tour. 

Your thinking in your prior posts are in large part correct.  The one element to change is to replace benefit of directional control to distance control.  The big benefit of the high moi putter is that you lose less energy on off center contact.  The same concept applies to the ultra low torque putter shaft.  If you take an anser style putter and hit it off the toe, you will see the face open 4*-5* post impact on high speed camera.  The start line isn't effected because the face opening after the ball has left the putter head.  The speed of the ball however drops.  With a high moi putter like an Odyssey Tank 7, you see the face opening  less than the anser and less of a loss in speed.  The obvious benefit is that the higher moi putter will get closer to your intended distance on a miss hit that the lower moi putter. 

The ultra low torgue putter shaft works on a similar concept. Because the shaft is more resistant twisting, you lose less energy on contact.  This was demonstrated to me and it proved true although slight.  I understand and believe the concept from an engineering standpoint but I didn't find it to be nearly as effective as a high moi head in reducing the loss of speed on off center contact.  When I tested matching anser style putter heads with a standard steel shaft and the BGT, and I wasn't intentionally hitting it on the toe, I didn't see a measurable difference.  While I consider myself a good putter, I don't hit the center every single stroke.  It's probably important to note that I didn't hit any putts longer than 20'.  I think these shafts and high moi heads would show the most benefit on longer putts where you more likely to stray off center and the loss of distance is magnified.  Perhaps if I measured performance over the course of a hundred shots from varying distances, long lag putts in particular I might see some 'strokes gained' improvement.  From that standpoint, I see the potential appeal to a professional.  The marginal benefit over the course of 4 rounds, even if it's a couple revolutions that leads to a single made putt vs a miss could be worth a lot of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm definitely in the skeptical camp when it comes to these super-stiff putter shafts. By far, the least rigid part of the putter swing system is the rubber or foam grip being held (presumably, with a somewhat less than iron-fisted grip) with the bag of skin, protein and goo that comprise our hands.

Yeah - I know the mfrs show data that support their claims. But of course they do.

Any independent, subjective testing? 

And the analogy to luxury watches is not quite applicable here. These shafts purport to provide a functional performance difference. They don't really market themselves as a luxury good like a Patek watch or Hermes scarf. Owners of Rolexes and Pateks fully acknowledge their watches are not as accurate as a Casio digital, but that's not the point. It's jewelry. Functional, yes, but still jewelry.

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 2

I don't think you're missing anything. A super stiff steel wedge shaft will do the job of stability admirably. Golfers get duped into the putter shaft rabbit hole. I mean a human being is rolling a ball over sloping maintained grass with a putter face of steel/aluminium or some kind of elastomer/polymer.......I'm pretty sure anything more than a standard shaft has imperceptible effect.

Whatever works.

6 hours ago, dubbelbogey said:

I'm definitely in the skeptical camp when it comes to these super-stiff putter shafts. By far, the least rigid part of the putter swing system is the rubber or foam grip being held (presumably, with a somewhat less than iron-fisted grip) with the bag of skin, protein and goo that comprise our hands.

Yeah - I know the mfrs show data that support their claims. But of course they do.

Any independent, subjective testing? 

And the analogy to luxury watches is not quite applicable here. These shafts purport to provide a functional performance difference. They don't really market themselves as a luxury good like a Patek watch or Hermes scarf. Owners of Rolexes and Pateks fully acknowledge their watches are not as accurate as a Casio digital, but that's not the point. It's jewelry. Functional, yes, but still jewelry.

I have similar thoughts on this as well, ie., the grip being a big problem with regard to these "ultra-stable" shafts. Different grip compositions surely would alter the measurable amount of torque at the hand level, if there is even a way to measure that. And, if there is, it is most assuredly negligible at our level of perception. 

I like the idea behind these shafts. And, I like selling them to customers. But let's be honest, it is almost certainly BS when it comes down to it being an actual, measurable variable. But, placebo can certainly make one a better putter though. 

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

At xmas i spent say half hour a day for 10 days in a row practicing prior to playing 9.Had bought a Craz e october,another ping Anser also. The old Newport with pp58 keeps going.Work on Eye Line eg Real Aim...and 15,20,30 yard putts with a ball you like.I made 35 yard putts 25 years ago with minimal skill and a 5bz b60.So stop over thinking things folks.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

14 hours ago, RobS said:

The ultra low torgue putter shaft works on a similar concept. Because the shaft is more resistant twisting, you lose less energy on contact.  This was demonstrated to me and it proved true although slight.  I understand and believe the concept from an engineering standpoint but I didn't find it to be nearly as effective as a high moi head in reducing the loss of speed on off center contact.  When I tested matching anser style putter heads with a standard steel shaft and the BGT, and I wasn't intentionally hitting it on the toe, I didn't see a measurable difference. 

That's really not all that surprising.  Those who put forth that theory as justification only formulate the theory in a very superficial way.  They really don't look into the impact dynamics deep enough to properly validate that as a viable theory.

Perhaps if I measured performance over the course of a hundred shots from varying distances, long lag putts in particular I might see some 'strokes gained' improvement.

It would be an interesting test but not very conclusive until one removes the human factor from any such testing.   Even without removing that, I probably wouldn't expect to any statistically significant improvements - assuming everything else about the build was identical except the torque of the shaft - which can be very difficult to do.    The make percentages are already quite small from those longer distances.  So the only influence that it might have on strokes gained is to increase the miss big enough to turn the 2-putt into a 3-putt.   Sure it's not impossible, but very unlikely.  But that's just my opinion, I also would rather rely on hard data to support any conclusions.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, EDT501 said:

My question is this, if the benefits supposedly come from lower torque values and a stiff profile, why could one use an extremely stiff iron shaft to achieve the same at a much, much lower price. Am I missing something here?

7 hours ago, rt_charger said:

Sorry, I love how on a 3 page thread there's only been like max 2 answers to the actual question.

I too would like to know the difference between these exxy putter shafts and an x stiff iron shaft. 

- Marketing to golfers who are willing to spend on new toys

- We need 3rd party data that measures the same for any shaft in comparison for torque and EI profiles 

- OP the only thing you're missing is that comparative data, but the concept is good!

- Stability shafts have technical merit, tiny effects, though it might be immeasurable due to the human factor 

- Placebo effect is real. Thinking you have "the best" can aid confidence.

- Feel might be overriding factor for shaft preference like any other club

BGT and LA Golf advertise similarly - more towards stability in the swing, leading to impact, less so post impact, where MOI of clubhead plays the main role in resisting twisting:

LA:

20210821_075603.jpg.702e15ad4fc649d5a2752e26a31565d2.jpg

BGT:

20210821_075831.jpg.4d71d2aeb3e15026ffaf7e80bd5d5865.jpg

As far as feel, it's probably like low torque driver shafts: Some like the "stability". Some feel they're "boardy".  BGT and LA can advertise feel with their low torque shafts because they use graphite - dampening vibrations like any graphite shaft, but it may still feel boardy to some (post impact deflection/recoil difference vs a higher torque shaft).  Also they can weight their shafts to feel similar to stock steel ones they would replace.  In the end though, companies need a good story and their own validation (tour validation helps too) to sell to the public.  Then hopefully there's enough science, hack science, anecdotal proof, followers, and fed up golfers to continue the demand.... and little competition to keep those prices up!

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

The company I work for used to do laser etch serializing for PING. During that time they were experimenting with a titanium driver shaft. Didn't work. When they left us to do their own serializing they left us a few of the shafts. One of them is currently in my putter. Pretty stiff. I like it a lot.

• Like 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, EDT501 said:

My question is this, if the benefits supposedly come from lower torque values and a stiff profile, why could one use an extremely stiff iron shaft to achieve the same at a much, much lower price. Am I missing something here?

You don't seem to be missing much. I would look in to getting it up to weight and have the weight in the correct spots to get it to feel the way you prefer, then go out and give it a roll. You'll most likely save a good bit of money, but invest a decent bit of time tuning it to how you want it to feel. 

From my perspective, I have putters with the CT Tour, 1 Step, and Stability Tour shafts. I don't hate any of them. I like the feel of the CT Tour the best, but the 1 Step is great with an off-center strike. The Stability Tour is a different beast and I have considered going back to the CT Tour as I feel like the Stability Tour dampens the feel too much. Maybe I'm just crazy.

2 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

The Shaft

I originally proposed using a Blueboard 103, but I have had other plans for that shaft (namely retrofitting it to a persimmon), and couldn't bring myself to sacrifice it for this experiment. So I pulled this Whiteboard 83x from a fairway I had around. With its stiffer profile, it probably fits the overall theme of the experiment better, and I have no intent of ever using that club again, so nothing lost in my mind. Overall, this shaft is probably playing tipped ~7 inches. 

Pre-Build Completely Unscientific Flex Text

Bending both the trimmed down Whiteboard and the stock steel shaft in my hands, the Whiteboard feels noticeably stiffer. Obviously this has 0 bearing on how the shaft will behave during the swing, but it is something...

The Build

Relatively speaking, I tend to like a lighter putter, which is complicated by the fact that I also prefer a putter longer than average - I am 6'4" and find I am most comfortable standing over a 35.5" putter. As a result, I play with a lighter than typical (by modern standards) head-weight. This was partially the reason I was so interested in this experiment. If I could lighten the shaft without losing stability, then I should be able to add some mass to the head while maintaining the same or lower overall weight. From my perspective, this will increase MOI without going to a club that is heavier than what I prefer. I switched from factory 5g weights to some 15g weights I had in the drawer. Even adding 20g to the head, the overall build is still ~40g lighter than when I started. Depending on my results on the green this weekend, I may search for some OEM 25 or even 30g weights to pull that weight up a touch more. 

Starting (g) Final (g)
Headweight 332.0 352.0
Shaftweight 121.5 61.5
Grip Weight 84.5 87.5
Totalweight 453.5 413.5

Assembly was straightforward. I removed the old shaft, cleaned out the hosel, and took some measurements. Next, I took come calipers and found the point where the 0.335" whiteboard tapered to 0.355". I cut the shaft there and then used a dry fit to measure for playing length. From there, it was a simple matter of gluing everything up and gripping the club (my preferred Ping midsize cord is sold out/backordered everywhere - I found an independent store that would ship me some, but those won't be here until next week).

On Course Results (to be updated this weekend)

** carpet only so far** 

So far, so good. I'll be honest, I had very low expectations but am pleasantly surprised so far. Weight distribution feels good and while I can tell it is a significantly lighter package, I can still quite easily feel where the head is during the stroke. No movement in the shaft to report, even on very long putts (60+ft in my apartment corridor) - definitely stiffer feeling than the stock steel. What I put in is exactly what is coming out, which I enjoy. Impact feels a touch crisper, but that may just be the noise echoing off empty walls indoors. Mishits are definitely a little harsher feeling. Can't really judge performance without getting to a real green, which I will do this weekend. I expected to hate it from swing one, but didn't so I'm chalking that up as a victory. 

Pictures (better ones this weekend)

IMG_0422.jpg.612130fbe2708fb10781765d81eb208f.jpgIMG_0423.jpg.2b9bc4608c4edb4e736bdaf7a44b4360.jpgIMG_0424.jpg.b0c5bdc94ec6c73b5526032206e29d0a.jpg

Awesome follow up, thanks for that! It has also piqued my interest more than expected given that I am also taller (6'3") and prefer both longer and lighter putter builds around the same length you described. My gamer is one of those really light headed older Camerons, 320g I think, and right now it has a KBS CT putter shaft in it. I have a 330g Studio Stainless head lying around that I wasn't sure what to put in it but I may consider something similar to this just for fun. An Aldila Rogue Black 105h shaft I pulled from a hybrid purchase has some concerning cracks in the tip that made me leery about using it, could be the perfect sacrificial shaft. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

7 hours ago, EDT501 said:

The Shaft

I originally proposed using a Blueboard 103, but I have had other plans for that shaft (namely retrofitting it to a persimmon), and couldn't bring myself to sacrifice it for this experiment. So I pulled this Whiteboard 83x from a fairway I had around. With its stiffer profile, it probably fits the overall theme of the experiment better, and I have no intent of ever using that club again, so nothing lost in my mind. Overall, this shaft is probably playing tipped ~7 inches. 

Bending both the trimmed down Whiteboard and the stock steel shaft in my hands, the Whiteboard feels noticeably stiffer. Obviously this has 0 bearing on how the shaft will behave during the swing, but it is something...

The Build

Relatively speaking, I tend to like a lighter putter, which is complicated by the fact that I also prefer a putter longer than average - I am 6'4" and find I am most comfortable standing over a 35.5" putter. As a result, I play with a lighter than typical (by modern standards) head-weight. This was partially the reason I was so interested in this experiment. If I could lighten the shaft without losing stability, then I should be able to add some mass to the head while maintaining the same or lower overall weight. From my perspective, this will increase MOI without going to a club that is heavier than what I prefer. I switched from factory 5g weights to some 15g weights I had in the drawer. Even adding 20g to the head, the overall build is still ~40g lighter than when I started. Depending on my results on the green this weekend, I may search for some OEM 25 or even 30g weights to pull that weight up a touch more. 

Starting (g) Final (g)
Head weight 332.0 352.0
Shaft weight 121.5 61.5
Grip Weight 84.5 87.5
Total weight 453.5 413.5

Assembly was straightforward. I removed the old shaft, cleaned out the hosel, and took some measurements. Next, I took come calipers and found the point where the 0.335" whiteboard tapered to 0.355". I cut the shaft there and then used a dry fit to measure for playing length. From there, it was a simple matter of gluing everything up and gripping the club (my preferred Ping midsize cord is sold out/backordered everywhere - I found an independent store that would ship me some, but those won't be here until next week).

** carpet only so far** 

So far, so good. I'll be honest, I had very low expectations but am pleasantly surprised so far. Weight distribution feels good and while I can tell it is a significantly lighter package, I can still quite easily feel where the head is during the stroke. No movement in the shaft to report, even on very long putts (60+ft in my apartment corridor) - definitely stiffer feeling than the stock steel. What I put in is exactly what is coming out, which I enjoy. Impact feels a touch crisper, but that may just be the noise echoing off empty walls indoors. Mishits are definitely a little harsher feeling. Can't really judge performance without getting to a real green, which I will do this weekend. I expected to hate it from swing one, but didn't so I'm chalking that up as a victory. 

IMG_0422.jpg.612130fbe2708fb10781765d81eb208f.jpgIMG_0424.jpg.b0c5bdc94ec6c73b5526032206e29d0a.jpg

Very well done, sir.  Let us know when you get it on a Trackman or GCQuad.  I'll bet it's a low launch/low spin bomber.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Guess I’m the brain dead minority here. 

2nd best handicap I’ve ever had with no more or less time focused on putting practice than prior. 

F57F6079-2F4D-4DCB-870D-2CFA3548DF58.jpeg

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• EDT501 changed the title to Tell me why I'm wrong about putter shafts - *updated, put a Whiteboard in a putter and it's not terrible...*
1 hour ago, PorkChopExpress said:

does it actually reduce your putts per round? 

I'd be surprised to say the least. I don't disagree with the notion of reducing the tendency for the putter head to twist off line during the stroke, but a higher torque shaft isn't the way to do it. A putter head with a higher MOI is, and that means going from a blade to a mallet. That doesn't mean you can't use a blade and keep the head on line, you can, if that's how you naturally make the stroke. It's not all that different from using a low MOI blade iron versus a high MOI game improvement iron. What works for you works for you.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I’ve actually done this before, lightens up the whole setup. Great for heavy heads that your trying to reduce SW on. I’ve got a Fuji Pro 83X in a DH89 and a C-Taper Lite in the long slant 89 in my avatar. They work equally well, not such a huge debate as all that is discussed here. Ymmv

Edited by A.Princey
  • Thanks 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

On 8/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, EDT501 said:

The Shaft

The Build

Starting (g) Final (g)
Head weight 332.0 352.0
Shaft weight 121.5 61.5
Grip Weight 84.5 87.5
Total weight 453.5 413.5

** carpet only so far** 

IMG_0422.jpg.612130fbe2708fb10781765d81eb208f.jpgIMG_0424.jpg.b0c5bdc94ec6c73b5526032206e29d0a.jpg

That looks awesome! I think it's great that you can play with head weight. Do you think a lighter head weight would actually work better with a light shaft? It'll move the balance point a little higher on the shaft and I wonder if it'll feel better. 

On 8/27/2021 at 10:49 AM, Phabs said:

Guess I’m the brain dead minority here. 

2nd best handicap I’ve ever had with no more or less time focused on putting practice than prior. 

Hmm.. can anyone help translate?

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

3 hours ago, mister2cool said:

That looks awesome! I think it's great that you can play with head weight. Do you think a lighter head weight would actually work better with a light shaft? It'll move the balance point a little higher on the shaft and I wonder if it'll feel better. 

Hmm.. can anyone help translate?

Playing to a plus 1.6 handicap with an average of 28 putts per round.  Was fitted on quintic for the shafts and they made the performance of my stroke and the ball characteristics improve.  I’ve practiced putting for 3 hours a week since college golf, 5 years ago.  I’m not practicing any more than I used to, hinting the equipment making a difference. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to the golf course to test out my frankensteined putter. Took a little while to get the distance control dialed in, but it really wasn't as big a deal as I'd feared. I really enjoy the lighter club-weight, especially on slippery putts from 3-20 feet. The lighter weight was a little tricky to manage on long putts and I imagine on slow greens it will be less than ideal.

Feel wise, things definitely feel more stable and crisper off the face, but not harsh or overly boardy. Can't say I noticed any improvements on mishits or expect to see that in the future. I enjoyed the matte gray appearance at address. I also ended up building this 0.5" longer than my previous setup. Now at 36", I definitely felt more comfortable over the ball during a lengthy (2 hours) warmup session and felt that it was easier to maintain a comfortable upright posture. 

As for on course results, difficult to say... It was one my best putting rounds ever; compared to PGA 2019 season averages, I gained 4.39 putts this round! I didn't miss anything inside of 15ft, it was one of those days where every putt I looked at I thought I was going to make. Days like this don't happen very often, so I'll need to look at the stats over time to determine if there are any real scoring benefits to this experiment. Thank goodness I can putt, because my ball striking and driving were absolutely atrocious yesterday...

Putt Distnace Leave StrokesGained
48 1 0.119
1 0 0.006
31 3 -0.031
3 0 0.013
30 2 -0.034
2 0 0.007
10 0 0.602
12 0 0.691
33 1 -0.008
1 0 0.006
15 2 -0.226
2 0 0.007
33 2 -0.008
2 0 0.007
2 0 0.007
36 2 0.017
2 0 0.007
5 0 0.196
6 0 0.299
14 0 0.755
24 4 -0.178
4 0 0.095
18 0 0.839
15 0 0.780
8 0 0.476
28 1 -0.051
1 0 0.006
TOTAL SG PUTTING 4.391

TL;DR - I putt an 83x whiteboard in my putter wondering if I could capture some of the supposed Stability shaft or LAGP magic. Actual benefit was being able to play a longer length with preferred lighter weight. So far things are looking good. 

IMG_0447.jpg.e7709ae5fa7220f5daf899dac2d16a31.jpgIMG_0448.jpg.0355aab3085a3b419583c49833b2b4f0.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, EDT501 said:

Finally made it to the golf course to test out my frankensteined putter. Took a little while to get the distance control dialed in, but it really wasn't as big a deal as I'd feared. I really enjoy the lighter club-weight, especially on slippery putts from 3-20 feet. The lighter weight was a little tricky to manage on long putts and I imagine on slow greens it will be less than ideal.

Feel wise, things definitely feel more stable and crisper off the face, but not harsh or overly boardy. Can't say I noticed any improvements on mishits or expect to see that in the future. I enjoyed the matte gray appearance at address. I also ended up building this 0.5" longer than my previous setup. Now at 36", I definitely felt more comfortable over the ball during a lengthy (2 hours) warmup session and felt that it was easier to maintain a comfortable upright posture. 

As for on course results, difficult to say... It was one my best putting rounds ever; compared to PGA 2019 season averages, I gained 4.39 putts this round! I didn't miss anything inside of 15ft, it was one of those days where every putt I looked at I thought I was going to make. Days like this don't happen very often, so I'll need to look at the stats over time to determine if there are any real scoring benefits to this experiment. Thank goodness I can putt, because my ball striking and driving were absolutely atrocious yesterday...

Putt Distnace Leave StrokesGained
48 1 0.119
1 0 0.006
31 3 -0.031
3 0 0.013
30 2 -0.034
2 0 0.007
10 0 0.602
12 0 0.691
33 1 -0.008
1 0 0.006
15 2 -0.226
2 0 0.007
33 2 -0.008
2 0 0.007
2 0 0.007
36 2 0.017
2 0 0.007
5 0 0.196
6 0 0.299
14 0 0.755
24 4 -0.178
4 0 0.095
18 0 0.839
15 0 0.780
8 0 0.476
28 1 -0.051
1 0 0.006
TOTAL SG PUTTING 4.391

TL;DR - I putt an 83x whiteboard in my putter wondering if I could capture some of the supposed Stability shaft or LAGP magic. Actual benefit was being able to play a longer length with preferred lighter weight. So far things are looking good. 

IMG_0447.jpg.e7709ae5fa7220f5daf899dac2d16a31.jpgIMG_0448.jpg.0355aab3085a3b419583c49833b2b4f0.jpg

@EDT501 your post made me think back to the Aerotech F360 putter shaft(not sure how similar to Steelfiber?🤷‍♂️ Same manufacturer) 

@choeppner previously mentioned trying the Aerotech putter shaft (ie he might be able to opine whether he still likes graphite shafts in putters...circa ~2009-ish?... or whether he believes there has been significant R&D progress made since then!)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1