None of you want to hear this…

Here is what I heard/gathered from the interviewee Kevin Kirk (starts talking about youth golf at 17:49 into the podcast):

1. A lot of junior golf programs may try to push kids down the "high performance pathway" in golf (vs just teaching them the game and letting it grow from there). Doesn't think the high performance pathway approach is a good idea and none of the sports science supports that.

2. Kevin Kirk says that the idea of 8 year old World Champion drives him crazy.  Doesn't think that is healthy. Those types of championships belong with kids after puberty. Mentions Golf Australia doesn't allow Worlds events until age 15 (?).

3. They hit on the subject of 9 year olds who have played 200+ tournaments by that age.

4. Many of the kids who are the best performers early don't turn out that way. Maybe they are just bigger and stronger compared to their peers at that age.

5. He believes early specialization is a bad idea.  Need to build athletic skills over time. Need to build golf skills over time.

Certainly, it all falls under the "parents ruin everything". I personally know a few 10 year olds who have played over 200 tournaments to date.  I blame Instagram. 😉🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Really makes you take a step back and realize how fanatical youth sports in general are.  

Question though @wildcatden, does this pod miss out on the reality of what the top college coaches are looking for because it really seems like the pedigree of any top program is all pretty similar.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

Really makes you take a step back and realize how fanatical youth sports in general are.  

Question though @wildcatden, does this pod miss out on the reality of what the top college coaches are looking for because it really seems like the pedigree of any top program is all pretty similar.

I hope you're not worrying about what flavor of the month pedigree College Coaches are look for today.   Programs go up and down over time. 

The only thing that matters is you score low. Score low enough and college is the last thing you're worried about. 

Edited by tiger1873

9 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Here is what I heard/gathered from the interviewee Kevin Kirk (starts talking about youth golf at 17:49 into the podcast):

1. A lot of junior golf programs may try to push kids down the "high performance pathway" in golf (vs just teaching them the game and letting it grow from there). Doesn't think the high performance pathway approach is a good idea and none of the sports science supports that.

2. Kevin Kirk says that the idea of 8 year old World Champion drives him crazy.  Doesn't think that is healthy. Those types of championships belong with kids after puberty. Mentions Golf Australia doesn't allow Worlds events until age 15 (?).

3. They hit on the subject of 9 year olds who have played 200+ tournaments by that age.

4. Many of the kids who are the best performers early don't turn out that way. Maybe they are just bigger and stronger compared to their peers at that age.

5. He believes early specialization is a bad idea.  Need to build athletic skills over time. Need to build golf skills over time.

Certainly, it all falls under the "parents ruin everything". I personally know a few 10 year olds who have played over 200 tournaments to date.  I blame Instagram. 😉🤣

Jack Nicklaus said all that stuff 60 years ago. He first started swinging a club at age 11 and credits his high school experience of playing football, basketball, and baseball with actually helping his golf game. From those other sports he developed his coordination, athleticism etc...

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

9 hours ago, wildcatden said:

This one is VERY true. Of all the guys I grew up playing with, the one that has had the most success (PGA Tour player who has yet to win but has kept his card for 6-7 seasons now) didn't win his first major tournament until the summer after we graduated high school. From there he took off winning multiple times in college and even made the Curtis Cup team one year. 

Before that he was a pretty good player, but he was never someone we worried about having to contend with in junior tournaments. I honestly don't remember him ever being in the top-200 junior rankings or even the top-5 in the state growing up. It just goes to show you that no matter what you do when you 8, 9, 10, or even 15 years old it doesn't really count until you get to college. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

The "reality" of what college golf coaches want on their roster is kids with good academic grades  a golf scoring average of 72 or better.  A kid can achieve that by playing his local county-state junior events as well as amateur tournaments against adults.

• Like 2

Youth sports is somewhat nuts. It's the money thing, it's the parents trying to live through their kids thing, it's the there's little else out there for kids thing. No kid wants to bank 200 tournaments by 10 years old. I was on the practice green last week. A dad & 6 year old, the guy was drilling this kid on putts and chips, a minute lecture on every shot. He's six! He's not the 1st one I've come across either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So what is the "right" way to do it then when your kid is obsessed with golf at a young age?  

My son is 9 and started playing USKG locals as an 8 yr old after trying 1 as a 7.  We are fortunate enough to have access to a year-round academy program at our club.  If he doesn't want to go , he doesnt go, but those days are rare.  He loves to hit balls and be around his golf friends.  Since he is good at it, he likes being around it and being a 'good golfer' is part of his identity.  

He has never been to a 'worlds' type event, has no IG acct, and while is always in the mix at USKG locals, is not the best kid.  But he's going to be worlds eligible for next summer as his scores have come down.  He plays other sports, but golf is far and away the top priority.  

What am I supposed to do?  Not have him play in tournaments?  Not engage in this academy program he has access to?  

This forum has provided tremendous guidance for me and made me change a lot of what I do, esp in regards to caddying.  I just want my kid to grow up continuing to enjoy the game.  I would hope he still loves it enough to play HS golf, and has the choice to play college but at this point I feel Ive done my job to expose him to the game early.  

But where is the line in doing too much too early?  Asking honestly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

You give like the worst advice.

So if a guy can win on on the PGA you really think there worrying about college.  1 win on the PGA is worth more then 4 years of college.

You go to college because your not good enough to win on the PGA or you want an education.  The top schools are not always a focus on education and that should be a bigger concern. 

7 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

So what is the "right" way to do it then when your kid is obsessed with golf at a young age?  

My son is 9 and started playing USKG locals as an 8 yr old after trying 1 as a 7.  We are fortunate enough to have access to a year-round academy program at our club.  If he doesn't want to go , he doesnt go, but those days are rare.  He loves to hit balls and be around his golf friends.  Since he is good at it, he likes being around it and being a 'good golfer' is part of his identity.  

He has never been to a 'worlds' type event, has no IG acct, and while is always in the mix at USKG locals, is not the best kid.  But he's going to be worlds eligible for next summer as his scores have come down.  He plays other sports, but golf is far and away the top priority.  

What am I supposed to do?  Not have him play in tournaments?  Not engage in this academy program he has access to?  

This forum has provided tremendous guidance for me and made me change a lot of what I do, esp in regards to caddying.  I just want my kid to grow up continuing to enjoy the game.  I would hope he still loves it enough to play HS golf, and has the choice to play college but at this point I feel Ive done my job to expose him to the game early.  

Do what makes sense for you kid and what you feel it right. I honestly do not think there is a right or wrong answer.

I do not like the over bearing approach. It isn't me but I understand some kids need motivation. 

I'll use Rick Pano as a example. I believe he was over involved parent from reports that I have heard.  They have been successful though so who am I to say that is wrong. From all accounts Alexa has turned out ok and everyone likes her. 

As a parent you do your best and that is all you can do.  I draw the line on parents who will do anything and that is directed at other kids or willing to bend the rules for their kid. Sadly that is where the problems exist in youth sports.

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

Jack Nicklaus said all that stuff 60 years ago. He first started swinging a club at age 11 and credits his high school experience of playing football, basketball, and baseball with actually helping his golf game. From those other sports he developed his coordination, athleticism etc...

Sport-science is so far, you can get coordination and athleticism in the Gym, even much more efficient nowadays?!
I think specialization might be still the better way for the young generation BUT I don't care, I will allow my little one to do whatever she wants even she really is addicted to Golf but we still do often something else, swimming, basketball, soccer even if I think it doesn't help her that much for golf as a gym might, but it let her miss golf she does not get burned out. 
The important and really positive thing in Team sports is the social aspect I guess, everything else can nowadays be made with a good coach in the gym.

So I think "specialization" is fine if its chosen by the Child not by the Parent!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

So if a guy can win on on the PGA you really think there worrying about college.  1 win on the PGA is worth more then 4 years of college.

You go to college because your not good enough to win on the PGA or you want an education.  The top schools are not always a focus on education and that should be a bigger concern. 

um...what? you really downplaying a college education like that? just b/c you're good enough to win 1 time on the pga tour doesn't mean you throw away the valuable education you gain from college. i'm not just talking about book smarts either. 

what're the odds the 1 win doesn't yield much else? 

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

3 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I'm not a college coach and my kid is only 10 so we haven't hit the age where college recruitment hits. I did personally experience recruiting for college football, but that was eons ago.  🤣  

I find it hard to believe that a college coach is going to pay much attention to how you did in Worlds when you were 12 or younger. Certainly, there are outliers as there are kids winning multiple Worlds in a row in that age 6-12 bracket.  For those outlier kids, there are likely plenty of other top performances. However, those same kids could also be candidates for burn out or repetitive stress injuries.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

um...what? you really downplaying a college education like that? just b/c you're good enough to win 1 time on the pga tour doesn't mean you throw away the valuable education you gain from college. i'm not just talking about book smarts either. 

what're the odds the 1 win doesn't yield much else? 

If a kid is good enough to win on the PGA by the time they are 18 college scholarship is not really a big deal.  If you want a degree afterwards just pay for it on your own terms. I would also bet they will have a pretty lucrative endorsements and career on the PGA.

Most top schools don't care about the kids who play for them. They give them a bad degree and tell them there going to win on the PGA.  Why do you think so many of those same kids quit college to play on the PGA or transfer to another school.

The point I was making is your if you goal is to train to play on a top college program you real goal should be the PGA.  If your goal isn't to be play as a pro your focus should be on education and usually they're not the high ranked college programs. You also should be prepared to pay for education instead of playing golf.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

There is no right way.  Do what you think is right and constantly assess how things are going and make necessary changes.  Sometimes you can let your child dictate how many tournaments he will play in and how much time will be spent practicing and sometimes you may need to step in and either re-direct or dictate how things will go.  Trust yourself and learn from successes and mistakes.  I don't know who these people are in this podcast that was posted (I didn't listen) but take opinions from these people with a grain of salt.  We are saturated with people's opinions and analysis on every topic these days.  Listen to yourself and seek specific advice when you need it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

I'm not a college coach and my kid is only 10 so we haven't hit the age where college recruitment hits. I did personally experience recruiting for college football, but that was eons ago.  🤣  

I find it hard to believe that a college coach is going to pay much attention to how you did in Worlds when you were 12 or younger. Certainly, there are outliers as there are kids winning multiple Worlds in a row in that age 6-12 bracket.  For those outlier kids, there are likely plenty of other top performances. However, those same kids could also be candidates for burn out or repetitive stress injuries.

There is a lot turnover in college coaches.  So no way they care about kids that 6-10 years away from playing on their teams. Heck even freshman in High Schools are not that big of a deal either. They might put them on a list but they know they might not be there in 4 years so not really a priority.

44 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

We drew the line this way (and still do today) as my kid has progressed through golf from age 6-10:

1. We limit tournaments to 10-15 per year.

2. We play other sports....primarily baseball but also casual tennis, skateboarding, skiing, etc. In the spring baseball this past season, we still try to hit the range/course at least 3x/week. We are playing Fall baseball starting in September and we will put the clubs down for 2 months. We will work on getting stronger during that time.

3. We make time to do other things in general such as camping, hiking, time with his friends (especially over the last COVID-19 year), etc...

I would add that when they get older (13-17?) that things like burnout and repetitive stress injury are real. Overall, you just have to make the best decision for the wellness of your child.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

If a kid is good enough to win on the PGA by the time they are 18 college scholarship is not really a big deal.  If you want a degree afterwards just pay for it on your own terms. I would also bet they will have a pretty lucrative endorsements and career on the PGA.

Most top schools don't care about the kids who play for them. They give them a bad degree and tell them there going to win on the PGA.  Why do you think so many of those same kids quit college to play on the PGA or transfer to another school.

The point I was making is your if you goal is to train to play on a top college program you real goal should be the PGA.  If your goal isn't to be play as a pro your focus should be on education and usually they're not the high ranked college programs. You also should be prepared to pay for education instead of playing golf.

you can count on 1 hand how many under 20's are winning on the PGA tour. REALISTICALLY, you need to be thinking school/education first. 

• Like 1

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

57 minutes ago, phillyspecial said:

If it really is his passion and his alone, the right thing is to remind him of that ownership and only demand he assumes responsibility for it thriving. That it is okay if he decides otherwise and it's not his thing.

I spent 5 years on taking my kid to karate 3x a week, so he could get close to 2nd degree black belt. I spent 20 hours a week, 10 months a year for 7 years schlepping son to basketball practice and tournaments. In that time all I ever demanded was he maxes experience for the money & effort I expended for that season or year. If he decided he was done, that his passion was not there, that it was okay to stop. But what counted was how he applied to it, not the outcome. He's a D2 recruit, just dropped him off last week.

• Like 2

i thought the podcast was a repetition of stuff that has been stated in the past. I did not get the comparison to the Olympic athlete. In any case, every journey is different.  Set your own goals and enjoy the process. It can be very frustrating but I keep telling myself, do not focus on the destination- this is a marathon not a sprint.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phillyspecial said:

You are doing it right. Let the kid have fun. I used to work with two 11 year-old girls and they are in the "world's best" mode. Instagram accounts. Wanted lessons a couple times a week, and yes, over 200 events by 11. It was horrible, especially for the kids. So I would have more fun with them. Drive the carts through sprinklers, lots of games and humor at the course. They were performing well, but not all money is good money, so I had to have some frank conversations with the parents, who obviously disagreed with my assessment.

Yes, it's great for the kids to play in events...if they want to. Let them learn how to compete, deal with life situations, the ups and downs. Do the programs at the academy, it's a great place to make friends, socialize. Not all sports have that advantage. When he hits 13 or so you'll know how serious he wants to take it, then you hit the event trail from there. It's also very, very expensive to travel to all these events, and it's hard on families, especially if there are several kids in different sports in the family. One of my players was a girl and only the mom traveled with her, and she became the "caddy/coach". Their other child was a boy (8 years old) and had to stay home with the dad. The girl would come home with trophies and memories, the boy was playing video games with the dad. Sad situation.

Keep it up, get him playing with older players like yourself and older boys if you can. 

• Like 1
Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*; Callaway PM Grind 64*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1
Bridgestone B RXS

1 hour ago, phillyspecial said:

Find a competent instructor who will teach the youngster technique as well as guidance and direction for how to practice.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

If it really is his passion and his alone, the right thing is to remind him of that ownership and only demand he assumes responsibility for it thriving. That it is okay if he decides otherwise and it's not his thing.

I spent 5 years on taking my kid to karate 3x a week, so he could get close to 2nd degree black belt. I spent 20 hours a week, 10 months a year for 7 years schlepping son to basketball practice and tournaments. In that time all I ever demanded was he maxes experience for the money & effort I expended for that season or year. If he decided he was done, that his passion was not there, that it was okay to stop. But what counted was how he applied to it, not the outcome. He's a D2 recruit, just dropped him off last week.

I am all for letting kids pick what they want too.  But how many kids under 10 really know what they like?????

A certain point you as a parent have to pick their activities.  I did Dance, Soccer, Gymnatics and baseball as well as golf when  my daughter was young. All them made sense at the time but for one reason or the other we made the decision to drop those activities.

At the time Golf stood out because it was an activity we both could do together. She  really enjoyed playing golf.  I also could afford golf and so it seemed like the correct thing to do. A golf parent has to spend a lot time with there kids and that was attractive to me.  I hated watching hours of recitals and sitting watching gym classes through the window.  So in a way I happy not to be driving to dance class instead of the course.

So at some point parents have to pick something to play.  Eventually the kid either grows to love or hates it.  That's why so many teens drop out of sports and hobbies.

Edited by tiger1873

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Youth sports is somewhat nuts. It's the money thing, it's the parents trying to live through their kids thing, it's the there's little else out there for kids thing. No kid wants to bank 200 tournaments by 10 years old. I was on the practice green last week. A dad & 6 year old, the guy was drilling this kid on putts and chips, a minute lecture on every shot. He's six! He's not the 1st one I've come across either.

The number of tournaments a kid is playing is meaningless.  There are some areas of the country where playing a tournament every week is the only way a kid can play golf in a safe and encouraging environment.  

I remember those days where it was only $30 to play 9 holes on a decent course vs paying $50 to $100 and in between a few groups that didn't like seeing young kids on the course.

I actually found out why people did this or join the club a hard way. A women who was about 60 came up to me and my daughter who was 7 and told me and my daughter to get off the course because kids are not welcome playing golf.  First time I nearly wrapped a 9 iron around someone.

The kids that played every weekend were just fine and I remember they looked forward to it.  All the kids are still playing golf too.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I am all for letting kids pick what they want too.  But how many kids under 10 really know what they like?????

A certain point you as a parent have to pick their activities.  I did Dance, Soccer, Gymnatics and baseball as well as golf when  my daughter was young. All them pretty cheap at the time.

At the time Golf stood out because it was an activity we both could do together. She was also better then other kids at really enjoyed it.  I could afford it and it just plain seemed like the correct thing to do. I personally loved being caddy those first few years.  I hated watching hours of recitals and sitting watching gym classes through the window.

So at some point parents have to pick something to play.  Eventually the kid either grows to love or hates it.  That's why so many teens drop out of sports and hobbies.

I flatly disagree. My kid wanted karate badly at 7 and basketball at 9. I wanted golf & baseball or hockey. He played baseball (lefty pitcher), played football too. He was a star student in martial arts. he's an undersized basketball player that can hang with big boys now. His passion drove both. My job and what I feel is the best contribution made was finding the best place for him to live those passions. The development side of this is big key, up to parents to to find (within reason) best program for kid and get out of the way. Seen way too many parents live & die on how many points the kid made in a game, or how many minutes they played and how much shade, judgement & pressure they throw at them. I never did that. That's a coaches job. If he did not show up ready to play, then he heard from me. That might have happened twice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I flatly disagree. My kid wanted karate badly at 7 and basketball at 9. I wanted golf & baseball or hockey. He played baseball (lefty pitcher), played football too. He was a star student in martial arts. he's an undersized basketball player that can hang with big boys now. His passion drove both. My job and what I feel is the best contribution made was finding the best place for him to live those passions. The development side of this is big key, up to parents to to find (within reason) best program for kid and get out of the way. Seen way too many parents live & die on how many points the kid made in a game, or how many minutes they played and how much shade, judgement & pressure they throw at them. I never did that. That's a coaches job. If he did not show up ready to play, then he heard from me. That might have happened twice.

So what happens if you kid wants to be a professional Gamer. Would you support it??? Maybe he wants to be a race car driver or go sailing.

In some case those goals are little hard to support. I know I would not support race car driving or being a gamer.  I don't have a sail boat so that isn't something that is going to happen either. 

The reality is parents at some level pick their kids activities. Not a big deal

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

So what happens if you kid wants to be a professional Gamer. Would you support it??? Maybe he wants to be a race car driver or go sailing.

No to all of above If the expense and effort are equal, you go with what the kid likes. Why on God's Earth would you make a kid play a game, let's be clear, it's only a game, that he or she does not even care for? Then ponder why they sucked? Or why they have zero passion for much of anything at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

No to all of above If the expense and effort are equal, you go with what the kid likes. Why on God's Earth would you make a kid play a game, let's be clear, it's only a game, that he or she does not even care for? Then ponder why they sucked? Or why they have zero passion for much of anything at all.

Some times a kid needs to forced to do something they do not like.  It's called work ethic and more people need to learn it.

You teach that when a kid is young. What looks like a dad getting mad because a kid misses a 3 foot putt is a dad who is teaching his kid they can practice and do it.

Sometimes it sports and some times you make them do actual work but your teaching the same thing The kids who quit easily usually are the ones who have no passion.

If a kid likes a sport everyone knows it.  Some kids passion comes early while others they learn it along the way.  Some times kids take a few years to learn they really love something.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2