I SUCK AT PUTTING

UKGolfer86

Title says it all.  I really suck at putting.

I am a 12.1 index, drive great, irons so so, chipping comes and goes, but my putting just is not good.  I average 35.7 putts over last 20 rounds.  In that time ive gone from low to mid 90s to mid 80s, so im improving, but my putts are staying consistently at almost exactly 2 per hole.

I have 1 12 ft putting matt at home which i use, its a Well put and i do the drills on the app rather than just hitting putts, but it just doesnt seem to translate to the course.  Lag putting/distance control is my issue, 3-4 feet putts i make most of, if i ido miss its usually left short rather than missed due to line, so i think my reading is ok.  But the number of times il leave a long putt 8 feet short from 20 feet is criminal, and of course next hole if i have similar il blow it 10 feet past.

Ive had a couple of lessons where i got my set up sorted and as i say, my line tends to be decent.  I putt left hand low, i switched to this because i pulled so many putts conventional.  Any tips/drills to work on distance control putting left hand low?

I stopped putting to holes on the practice green and now putt to the fringe from different distances to purely work on pace, only been doing this for a couple of pre round warmups, so not had chance yet to guage if its going to help.  Help a fellow out.. please?!

Start at 5’. Work back 6” at a time. Quarters 1’ apart. From 5-10 try to stop between 1st and 2nd quarter. 10-20 1st and 3rd. 20+ 1st and 4th. Best speed drill I’ve ever found. Do it every time you practice and before you play. Takes 15 minutes. I guarantee you’ll putt better. 

Also get Rotella’s book “Putting Out Of Your Mind”

A4C1669F-D0AA-43EA-AE70-342EAC8236C3.jpeg

• Like 1

Are you positive it's your putting you need to improve?  Its easy to look at a 35.7 putts per round average and assume its your putter letting you down.  The reality is at your handicap more of your 1 putts to bring down the average are going to come from scrambling not birdie conversions.  Maybe your chipping/short pitching needs to improve to give you more realistic chances to 1 putt.

Edited by PhilsFanDrew

Don't know what your putting concept is but if you struggle with distance control then this might be of interest to you.

just some additional goodness

• Like 2

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.
Enjoy every sandwich

Based on where you look, 33-35 putts is the average for somebody who carries your handicap, you're pretty much right where you need to be.   This probably indicates the rest of your game fits into the averages as well and isn't as good as you think it is.  I would take a realistic look at your entire game and figure out where you're actually losing strokes.  

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 foot putting mat is nice and long.... Forget the dumb app!  For distance touch use a bunch of balls or get an automatic ball return and just hit hundreds in a day and make ball stop exactly where you want it to.... if many balls make the ball just barely touch the ball on the mat, if auto return make just barely go over the lip of the ramp.... take control. 

Do not over tense or focus should be easy and relaxed mentally and physically... you're touch will get really good

You'll get so good it will translate....

• Like 2

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

10 hours ago, UKGolfer86 said:

Title says it all.  I really suck at putting.

I am a 12.1 index, drive great, irons so so, chipping comes and goes, but my putting just is not good.  I average 35.7 putts over last 20 rounds.  In that time ive gone from low to mid 90s to mid 80s, so im improving, but my putts are staying consistently at almost exactly 2 per hole.

I have 1 12 ft putting matt at home which i use, its a Well put and i do the drills on the app rather than just hitting putts, but it just doesnt seem to translate to the course.  Lag putting/distance control is my issue, 3-4 feet putts i make most of, if i ido miss its usually left short rather than missed due to line, so i think my reading is ok.  But the number of times il leave a long putt 8 feet short from 20 feet is criminal, and of course next hole if i have similar il blow it 10 feet past.

Ive had a couple of lessons where i got my set up sorted and as i say, my line tends to be decent.  I putt left hand low, i switched to this because i pulled so many putts conventional.  Any tips/drills to work on distance control putting left hand low?

I stopped putting to holes on the practice green and now putt to the fringe from different distances to purely work on pace, only been doing this for a couple of pre round warmups, so not had chance yet to guage if its going to help.  Help a fellow out.. please?!

The last part is a good start. 

In my opinion good putting is almost 100% about speed control. 

Putting to a fringe is a good exercise. It takes the worry of line out of play and just focus on speed. 

Another good drill is to practice just drop a ball point and putt. Don't worry about line don't worry about anything. Just drop ball look at the hole and pull the trigger. Do this to different holes from different uphill downhill. Just allow your touch to control it. 

Another good practice is to look at the hole most of the time. You don't have to look at it the whole time like Jordan tried. Just when you have a 15+ footer staring at the ball thinking about your stroke really does you no good. Line your putter up and spend most of the time staring at the hole. Allow your eyes and mind to really focus on the target. Then look at the ball and pull the trigger. You will be surprised at how much your eyes and mental focus can help you control speed. Similar to tossing a ball just look and use your touch. 

The last thing I always tell people is get really good at 6 footers. Don't worry about practicing those pesky 2-3 footers. If you can get really good at making 6 footers your worries about short or long on lag putts gets less and less. You expand your "I got this circle".  

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

10 hours ago, mikpga said:

Improve the mindset…

Identify the two things tour players are really good at statistically…

Yep. This ^. You’ll suck as long as you say you suck. I know.  I used to say I sucked.  Whne I stopped and decided to be better. I got better.  Now ?  I’m the  greatest putter this worlds ever known.   😇…… but seriously.  It mattters what you think.  

get one putter.  Stay with it.  Build a stoke with it. And it only.a proper stroke.  Identify the flaws.  Fix them.    I’m talking for a year minimum.  Then repeat it the next year.  3 years in , you’ll never say you can’t putt again.  But it’s a slippery slope back down the hill. You have to keep looking up.  Don’t look down.  

• Like 2

TM Stealth +  8* Kai li 60x 

TM Sim2 max 16.5 MMT 70x 

Tsi2 21* graphite design Ad IZ 8s 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Very sm7 50* edel sms 54* 58* MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yep. This ^. You’ll suck as long as you say you suck. I know.  I used to say I sucked.  Whne I stopped and decided to be better. I got better.  Now ?  I’m the  greatest putter this worlds ever known.   😇…… but seriously.  It mattters what you think.  

I agree with this. I run into the same thing in my other interest, playing bass guitar in a band. In the bass guitar forums I frequent I occasionally run into the "I suck" mentality. I'll tell them "Why say you suck? Why put yourself down? How bad can it be? Instead, get on stage with the attitude that you're the best bass player on the planet, then be that bass player!" Thinking you're the best, even if you're not, builds confidence in whatever you do.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, bladehunter said:

get one putter.  Stay with it.  Build a stoke with it. And it only.a proper stroke.  Identify the flaws.  Fix them.    I’m talking for a year minimum.  Then repeat it the next year.  3 years in , you’ll never say you can’t putt again.  But it’s a slippery slope back down the hill. You have to keep looking up.  Don’t look down.  

Our little BH is growing up!!! 😉 

Edited by Obee
  • Haha 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

5 minutes ago, Obee said:

OU little BH is growing up!!! 😉 

As a reformed negative Nellie withe the putter I’ll throw my quick story at you.

After s*** putting and self flagellation for decades I improved immensely by doing a few things.

1.  Assess the break of the putt by looking at it from behind the hole then looking at the slope from the side as I made my way to the ball. 
2.  Find a spot 6 inches or so in front of the ball on the line.

3.  With nice soft hands set up, take quick look at the hole, then just roll the ball over the spot in front of the ball.

If you do that you have controlled what you can the rest is acceptance of the result.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:51 AM, UKGolfer86 said:

Title says it all.  I really suck at putting.  Help a fellow out.. please?!

Putting performance, like all golf shots, is greatly helped by proper grip technique. For putting the reverse overlap grip has for 100 years been proven the most effective technique.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

The SAM putting lab confirmed that I putted best with a very light grip pressure. It’s a good idea to regularly check your grip pressure. I hold my putter loosely and simply rock the shoulders and let my arms swing the putter. The light grip pressure has reduced the number of pulled or pushed putts. My putting is improving since doing the SAM a few months ago. If you have a qualified instructor, spend the money on the SAM putting analysis. 

Head to the putting green and do the ladder drill.. if u truly want to become a better putter u have to put in the time on the practice green.. I have a putting Matt at home as well and nothing substitutes a real green for pace 

Started working with a putting coach this year and he told me I have to hit the practice green for a min of 20 min 3 times a week 

I think putting is the most mental part of this game. Like some above have said, it's susceptible to confidence.

This hasn't been touched on yet, but there are a few fairly different varieties of putter that might make it easier or harder, depending on your stroke and eye. It's one area where you can really get away with blaming the equipment.

Anything that gets you confident and solution oriented.

So much good stuff here, thanks for the opinions.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, xmanhockey7 said:

Start at 5’. Work back 6” at a time. Quarters 1’ apart. From 5-10 try to stop between 1st and 2nd quarter. 10-20 1st and 3rd. 20+ 1st and 4th. Best speed drill I’ve ever found. Do it every time you practice and before you play. Takes 15 minutes. I guarantee you’ll putt better. 

Also get Rotella’s book “Putting Out Of Your Mind”

A4C1669F-D0AA-43EA-AE70-342EAC8236C3.jpeg

I like this, il take it to the course tomorrow and give it a crack on our putting green before my round.  I have just been dropping 4-5 balls between 6 and 20 feet from the fringe and putting to that, but of course as soon as the ball hits the collar it loses momentum, so a ball may finish not far onto the fringe, but could have roled another foot on the green. So this will give me a better indicator.  Thanks!

On 8/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, PhilsFanDrew said:

Are you positive it's your putting you need to improve?  Its easy to look at a 35.7 putts per round average and assume its your putter letting you down.  The reality is at your handicap more of your 1 putts to bring down the average are going to come from scrambling not birdie conversions.  Maybe your chipping/short pitching needs to improve to give you more realistic chances to 1 putt.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:08 PM, MountainKing said:

Based on where you look, 33-35 putts is the average for somebody who carries your handicap, you're pretty much right where you need to be.   This probably indicates the rest of your game fits into the averages as well and isn't as good as you think it is.  I would take a realistic look at your entire game and figure out where you're actually losing strokes.  

I like to get into my stats, i track every round with my garmin watch and 'The Grint' app where i keep track of first putt length also.  My chipping also needs to improve for sure and im not saying that the only part of my game that needs work is my putting, but my lag putting at times is criminally bad.  2-3 times a round il hit a green, leaving say 20 feet and my 2nd putt will be from outside 7-8 feet.  That puts unnecessary stress on the 2nd putt and leaves me with a couple of 3 putts at least.  

My last 10 round averages for some context.  10/14 fairways (i dont include a fairway if i miss-hit the shot and its way short but still in the fairway). 7/18 GIR, GIR putts 2.3, Non GIR putts 1.78. 

I would say

1 -  i need to improve approach play.  7 greens from essentially 14 fairways/tees needs to be better.

2 - make more putts.  2.3 putts average on GIR needs to come down.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:39 AM, bladehunter said:

This is something i am a believer in.  Confidence is self fulfilling.  Telling yourself you are good at something gives you the confidence to believe and when you believe it you have much more chance to achieve it.  I need to get back into this headspace with putting.

I read over some of this on Saturday and took a bit more time around the green, before adressing the ball in the comp i played.  Then as someone mentioned above, really looked at the hole, slowly traced back to my ball and then took the putt.  This seemed to help with my pace for sure, which was welcome after i 3 jacked the par 3 opener from 12 feet... only other 3 putt came on a wicked pin position on a 2 tier green where i hit the wrong tier with my approach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UKGolfer86 said:

So much good stuff here, thanks for the opinions.

I like this, il take it to the course tomorrow and give it a crack on our putting green before my round.  I have just been dropping 4-5 balls between 6 and 20 feet from the fringe and putting to that, but of course as soon as the ball hits the collar it loses momentum, so a ball may finish not far onto the fringe, but could have roled another foot on the green. So this will give me a better indicator.  Thanks!

I like to get into my stats, i track every round with my garmin watch and 'The Grint' app where i keep track of first putt length also.  My chipping also needs to improve for sure and im not saying that the only part of my game that needs work is my putting, but my lag putting at times is criminally bad.  2-3 times a round il hit a green, leaving say 20 feet and my 2nd putt will be from outside 7-8 feet.  That puts unnecessary stress on the 2nd putt and leaves me with a couple of 3 putts at least.  

My last 10 round averages for some context.  10/14 fairways (i dont include a fairway if i miss-hit the shot and its way short but still in the fairway). 7/18 GIR, GIR putts 2.3, Non GIR putts 1.78. 

I would say

1 -  i need to improve approach play.  7 greens from essentially 14 fairways/tees needs to be better.

2 - make more putts.  2.3 putts average on GIR needs to come down.

This is something i am a believer in.  Confidence is self fulfilling.  Telling yourself you are good at something gives you the confidence to believe and when you believe it you have much more chance to achieve it.  I need to get back into this headspace with putting.

I read over some of this on Saturday and took a bit more time around the green, before adressing the ball in the comp i played.  Then as someone mentioned above, really looked at the hole, slowly traced back to my ball and then took the putt.  This seemed to help with my pace for sure, which was welcome after i 3 jacked the par 3 opener from 12 feet... only other 3 putt came on a wicked pin position on a 2 tier green where i hit the wrong tier with my approach.

Fix the easiest thing first - you don't need to make more putts, you need to make better putts so you no longer have multiple three putts per round.   I would work on your iron play as well, if you can hit a couple more greens that will take pressure off of the short game.  That combo alone should get you into the 70's consistently.  

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

If the backs of your hands point forward when you let your arms hang naturally, try a claw/pencil grip (use a STRONG left hand). You'll see an immediate difference. 

Edited by thejazzmarauder

TaylorMade SIM2 9* | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Cleveland HiBore 15* | Iron Rod

Titleist T-MB (2i) | Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB14 (3-PW) | Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey BV (54*/58*) | Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3