Getting Old...

Murv

Getting old is a real issue. Age 77. Handicap 10. Up from 6 4 years ago. Losing clubhead speed. I hit the driver solid and straight. But short...175-180 carry at most. And we have soft conditions...so little roll out.

Real issue is fairway shots. Just no carry. 7 iron used to be 125..now about 110. This issue extends through the whole bag. Low, no carry shots. 

Going to demo some hybrid/iron type clubs. But the problem is more linked to flexibility and strength. When I work out, I have joint and muscle pain for a day or two.

I know I am not alone in this.

Give me tips or just commiserate if you wish.

Murv

• Like 1

Move up to the forward tees and be glad you're still playing well and enjoying the game at 77!  It's an impressive thing. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

I got a 25 degree fairway wood with a longer shaft than my irons.  Idea is to get more carry and loft.  The steeper descent may improve the chances of it staying on the green.

A hybrid is useful when you aren't on the fairway, but  you may be able to take advantage of your accurate driving to use a high lofted fairway woods.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Congrats on still playing and wanting to improve. Hybrids will help, stretching, lower expectations. 

WITB
Ping G10 Driver-Aldila NVS
TM 200 Steel 3W- Evenflow Red

Adams Idea 3 & 5 Hybrids-Prolaunch Axis
Adams Idea 6-SW- Dy Gold
Ping Eye 2 SW- Dy Gold 
Nike VR Forged LW- Dy Gold 
Odyssey DFX 1100
Pro V1X

TGM Roo leather grips

Murv - Congrats on still playing and enjoying the game!

I'm 65 and returned to playing golf in 2019 after a 10-year hiatus. When I quit playing in 2009 I was a 16 hcp, mainly because I could drive pretty well (usually 220 or so and in or near the fairway), hit my irons pretty well (5-PW were solid 150 to 100 carries, respectively) and I could chip and putt pretty well. Although my wedges and fairway woods were poor.  

Returning to the game was an eye-opener as my now drives carry about the same as yours and I no longer generate the club-head speed to hit any iron longer than a 7, which I now carry about 115, versus 130. I have had to learn to be much better with fairway woods, and stick to the more lofted ones at that (I carry 5,7 and 11), and improve my wedge game, in addition to working on my chipping and putting so they are better than "pretty good".  All of it is coming along and I am pretty happy with my progress. My hcp is now 24 (down from about 30 2-years ago) and I broke 90 in June.

In other words, I've had to adjust to the realities of my aging body. Some things that I would suggest you consider:

1. If you haven't done so in a while, get fitted for new clubs. 
  2. Switch to graphite shafts in your irons (I assume your woods are already graphite). The clubs will be lighter and easier on your joints.
  3. Consider going deeper in the bag with lofted fairway woods or hybrids.
  4. Revisit your course management strategy based on the new realities of your carry distance.

Bottom line...enjoy the game!

Edited by Bob M
  • Like 3

Driver: Ping G400 (10.5*) w/ Alta Distanza shaft

Fairway woods: Callaway Mavrik Max 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (21*) and 11-wood (25*) with Even Flow Riptide 5.5 shafts

Hybrids: Sub70 699U 6 and 7 Utility clubs with Even Flow Riptide 5.5 hybrid shafts

Irons: Ping G710 (8-UW) with Recoil 80 F3 shafts

Wedges:  New Level M-type forged 54* and 58* with Recoil ES Smacwrap 780 F3 shafts

Putter:  Ping DS 72

Ball: Snell MTB-Black (Optic Yellow); Callaway ORG 7 bag

Getting old ain’t for sissies. I’m 67 and buy voltaren by the bucket. I was a 3 index back in the day. The problem sometimes is thinking back about the way you hit the ball, and you want to get back there but can’t. I know what your feeling. 
ive made some adjustments. Quality stretches, graphite or light steel shafts. In the swing I’ve moved the ball a little backward in my stance. I lift my left heel with the driver to improve the range of motion. 

Always remember that we can’t chase distance but we have the tools that get us to the green. Incidentally I hit my 7 iron 150. 
Sounds like your scoring well and can beat most of the guys I play with. Congrats! 

• Like 1

I don't know if I count as old yet, turning 56 next week, but still driving the ball 320 plus on good days. I work out at the gym 4 times a week, and am as strong as ever, even though I've had open heart surgery 5 years ago, and ruptured my tricep snowboarding 2 years ago.  I would recommend weight training at least 2-3 days a week if you're not already, end each session with a lot of stretching. Two supplements that I would never do without are curcumin and fish oil, really help your joints and allow me to still play basketball. Hope that helps a little.

Driver: PING G425 LST
3 wood: PING 425 Max
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Ping 54, Taylor made Hi toe wedges

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

8 hours ago, BigManSlim said:

If you are working out regularly and having multiple days of pain and soreness I would question your workout regime. That shouldn't be happening.

What does your workout look like typically?

Well...that is definitely part of the problem. I don't do it regularly.  Although I do stretch daily.. During the fall and early Winter I work out regularly with stretch bands with golf specific excersize. And walk 45 minutes 3-4 times per week.

Then in January I go to Arizona and play two times per week and hit range balls once. Do this for 3 months. I walk ninety percent of all my rounds. When I return home I still play twice a week but the range ceases. And very sporadic work outs for 6 months. I do have some back and hip issues which is where I have pain.

I am grateful I can play as well as I do. My course suits my play as most holes have an area where the ball can bounce onto the green. Plus I've moved up to about 5650 yards.

7 hours ago, woodriff said:

Getting old ain’t for sissies. I’m 67 and buy voltaren by the bucket. I was a 3 index back in the day. The problem sometimes is thinking back about the way you hit the ball, and you want to get back there but can’t. I know what your feeling. 
ive made some adjustments. Quality stretches, graphite or light steel shafts. In the swing I’ve moved the ball a little backward in my stance. I lift my left heel with the driver to improve the range of motion. 

Always remember that we can’t chase distance but we have the tools that get us to the green. Incidentally I hit my 7 iron 150. 
Sounds like your scoring well and can beat most of the guys I play with. Congrats! 

I have never been able to hit a 7 iron 150 yards. My drives are a little shorter than most. But have never caused me issues due to being very accurate. But, my irons were well shorter than most.. 130 7 iron is as far as I ever hit it. But I could elevate it and get a lot of spin. Now the distance, height and spin are gone. I tried swinging a weighted club for a while.  But I was so stiff afterwards I didn't think I was benefiting. 

You are correct when you say I am comparing today to my former self. I have the need to feel like I'm compressing the ball. Maybe I will try a softer ball. Never done that. Still playing something comparable to a pro v 1.

9 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

I got a 25 degree fairway wood with a longer shaft than my irons.  Idea is to get more carry and loft.  The steeper descent may improve the chances of it staying on the green.

A hybrid is useful when you aren't on the fairway, but  you may be able to take advantage of your accurate driving to use a high lofted fairway woods.

Thanks! Good idea.  I have a 21 degree 7 wood. Carried it for a while and went back to a 4h. Will try it again.

13 hours ago, Murv said:

Thanks! Good idea.  I have a 21 degree 7 wood. Carried it for a while and went back to a 4h. Will try it again.

Yes, if you are accurate with your driver, it is likely that you don't need to carry a 4H.

With a swing speed in my 70s, the science says I have no use for low lofted clubs when hitting for distance.  Nor do I need a full set of irons for gapping.  7I, 9I, PW, SW is enough.

Which means that I only need a half set of clubs to play decent game of golf. 

But, this also means that a serious golfer with a slower swing speed has room in the bag to add a set of fairway woods, properly gapped for distance. My bag has a 21 degree 7W and an 11W.

Just think of them as long distance approach clubs rather than a substitute for a driver.  You want them to work just like high lofted irons, only with longer carry distances.

All my clubs (except for the putter) have light ladies flex graphite shafts.  I adjusted the lengths and swing weights as needed, buying sets of weights so I can adjust the swing weights as needed.  I also use lead tape  to adjust swing weights.

Congratulations on being able to play in your late 70s!

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Murv said:

Getting old is a real issue. Age 77. Handicap 10. Up from 6 4 years ago. Losing clubhead speed. I hit the driver solid and straight. But short...175-180 carry at most. And we have soft conditions...so little roll out.

Real issue is fairway shots. Just no carry. 7 iron used to be 125..now about 110. This issue extends through the whole bag. Low, no carry shots. 

Going to demo some hybrid/iron type clubs. But the problem is more linked to flexibility and strength. When I work out, I have joint and muscle pain for a day or two.

I know I am not alone in this.

Give me tips or just commiserate if you wish.

Murv

This is pretty much my old man who's 79.  He's lost quite some distance in the past two years.  He's very fit, hits the gym two or three times a week and walks all his rounds.  I guess it's something we can all improve to a certain extent, but mostly we will all have to get adjusted to it.  Great at your age you're fit and playing a lot.

Yesterday I hit a quick nine with my Dad, his buddy who's 82 and a young'un from that gang (70).  We hit off at 1.30 and when we all holed out on the 9th I checked the time because I felt it was early: 2.56.  One of the guys says "I reckon we could do better if we slowed down a bit."

My dad started using more woods. And riding his stationary bike. Moved up to the women’s tees, at the time not many senior tees were available. He was 80+ before we could get him to do it. Should of done it before. He played golf till he was 90.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Murv,  you are right where  I am. I am 78. I never was a 6 but right now hover at 10-12. Here are my thoughts some of which have been mentioned. 

1) keep playing the senior tees.

2)  I have 4 hybrids ranging from 19* to 31* . I use them constantly, from 160 down to 125. From everywhere.

3) all shafts senior flex graphite. Dirver has a new shaft from Ping which is 40 grams. Even my wedges are light weight graphite. 

4) when you stretch focus on hamstrings, quads, pirformis. At least 1 minute each. that will help back and hip issues. 

5) ride when you play. Get your workouts off the course. 

6) when you lift use low weights higher reps. 

7)  My balls of choice are  Srixon Softfeel, Callaway supersoft, Bridgestone e6 or e12.

An observation. The course ratings from senior tees are usually so low that you need to be in the 70s a lot to get below 10 index.

These guys still in their 60s don't realize how much it will change when they get into late 70s. 

• Thanks 1

I’m 70 and played Falcon Ridge in Mesquite yesterday with 80 year old twins. One was a higher handicap and shot 97. The other was a 12 and shot 82. It was funny that they were calling me the young pup. The 12 cap was straight and consistent and he was on most greens in regulation. We played the combo tees (5500 yards) which is a key to remain competitive as you get older and can’t hit it as far as you once did. 

I’ve been that once you hit 70 things start falling apart but this fellow and some other 80+ guys I play with give me hope. These guys shoot their age every time they play.

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G425 Tensi Orange

Ping G30 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

9 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Some low compression golf balls will help.

Apparently not according to the golf ball test over at the competing site when focusing on swing speeds under 85 mph (which will be most of us that get the senior discount).  Their findings got more distance due to more ball speed with higher compression balls rather than the low compression stuff.  For slow swingers they found that the most important characteristic to look for is more spin to get more lift and keep the ball in the air longer.  Low spin heads with low compression balls are not the answer for many slow swing speed players. 🤔

Golf is not a game of perfect -- Dr. Bob Rotella

TM R 7 425 10.5°                         Spalding EZ X 10.5°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°     Cally BB War bird 4W

Cobra Baffler DWS 23°                PowerBilt Citation 5W

TM Burner Plus 5-AW                   Stan Thompson Ginty

Cleveland CBX 56°                       Precision Dictator II BeCu 5-SW

Rossa Tourismo 3                         RAM Zebra

2 hours ago, naval2006 said:

This is pretty much my old man who's 79.  He's lost quite some distance in the past two years.  He's very fit, hits the gym two or three times a week and walks all his rounds.  I guess it's something we can all improve to a certain extent, but mostly we will all have to get adjusted to it.  Great at your age you're fit and playing a lot.

Yesterday I hit a quick nine with my Dad, his buddy who's 82 and a young'un from that gang (70).  We hit off at 1.30 and when we all holed out on the 9th I checked the time because I felt it was early: 2.56.  One of the guys says "I reckon we could do better if we slowed down a bit."

That sounds just like our group of about 12 guys. Most walk. But, we do not walk fast. We try to conserve for the last few holes. Which is difficult with some heat and humidity. 

2 hours ago, shellback said:

Murv,  you are right where  I am. I am 78. I never was a 6 but right now hover at 10-12. Here are my thoughts some of which have been mentioned. 

1) keep playing the senior tees.

2)  I have 4 hybrids ranging from 19* to 31* . I use them constantly, from 160 down to 125. From everywhere.

3) all shafts senior flex graphite. Dirver has a new shaft from Ping which is 40 grams. Even my wedges are light weight graphite. 

4) when you stretch focus on hamstrings, quads, pirformis. At least 1 minute each. that will help back and hip issues. 

5) ride when you play. Get your workouts off the course. 

6) when you lift use low weights higher reps. 

7)  My balls of choice are  Srixon Softfeel, Callaway supersoft, Bridgestone e6 or e12.

An observation. The course ratings from senior tees are usually so low that you need to be in the 70s a lot to get below 10 index.

These guys still in their 60s don't realize how much it will change when they get into late 70s. 

Thank you! Good ideas. Yes, at 68 I was playing from 6500 shooting 76-79. 7 cap. Now I shoot the same score from 5600. But it is not pretty. Lots of up and downs and few, some time zero birdies. Cap 9-10. I feel like I need a urethane ball since I rely on my short game so much. I need a soft, high flying, spinny, urathane ball that still goes.

1 hour ago, scomac2002 said:

Apparently not according to the golf ball test over at the competing site when focusing on swing speeds under 85 mph (which will be most of us that get the senior discount).  Their findings got more distance due to more ball speed with higher compression balls rather than the low compression stuff.  For slow swingers they found that the most important characteristic to look for is more spin to get more lift and keep the ball in the air longer.  Low spin heads with low compression balls are not the answer for many slow swing speed players. 🤔

That is what has kept me playing Snell MTB X.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gioreeko said:

I would recommend weight training at least 2-3 days a week if you're not already, end each session with a lot of stretching. Two supplements that I would never do without are curcumin and fish oil, really help your joints....

You're losing muscle mass. We all do as we get older. Weight training and a proper fitting is the way to recover your lost distance.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Mizuno ST190 TS 3 Wood Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R
4 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
53.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any one of 5 different Pings - currently 1984 Ping Kushin

Unfortunately, Father Time remains undefeated and you just have to deal with the problems that arise from that.  You can do other things besides strength training to help you with distance loss. Do stretches to increase mobility and flexibility and speed training in order to maximize your whatever you got left in the tank at your age.  Just don't overdo it as it leads to over training especially at your age which can lead to all sorts of issues.  Heat and cold packs are your friends.  NSAIDs, but don't overdo those. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1