Bandon Dunes - Rain Gear

Lots of great options.  Galvin Green has always been fantastic for me, so I havent tried anything else.  Look at their latest offerings you cant go wrong (gortex bucket hat as well).  

https://www.function18.com/collections/galvin-green?productFilter=category%3AWaterproofs

Edited by vallygolf

Plenty of deals to be had on good rain gear if you shop around for last season's models.

Only get GoreTex. The jacket is more important because you want something golf specific for freedom of movement. Just look for the best deal on pants you can find.

I'd recommend getting a Galvin Green jacket. Function18 generally has pretty good pricing.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I’ll offer this: having played all over Ireland, great (not good) rain gear will eliminate weather concerns. Add waterproof golf shoe which most are now, Rain gloves, and waterproof hat, thin towel around neck for drips and it can pour on you and you’ll love the Oregon coast without care. That being said, second tear gear( still goretex, but high end footjoy(  dryjoys); UA, mid level Galway’s, are great day 1 but seems to fail over a long week

Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Galvin Green, Sunice, Zero Restriction.  All good brands and deals can be found.  Just make sure it is GoreTex (pants and jacket).  Anything less will eventually fail.

Another option is to stop by Fiddler's Green in Eugene on the way down.  They have a great selection of rain gear and excellent prices (and no sales tax).  They do also have sales online, so check that out too.

+1 on the waterproof shoes and rain gloves.  At Bandon, the rain blows sideways, which will find the gaps in your gear.  Nothing will keep you completely dry in a heavy rain with strong wind, but you'll be a lot more comfortable with the right gear.  Buy the bucket hat at the resort (or online).  The chin strap is a key feature.

You may get lucky in February and not need it the whole trip.  But if not, you'll thank yourself.

And also +1 on Function18.  Good prices and super fast shipping

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

GG is just fine and wont set you back near $1,000. I've had my pants for going on 6 years now, they were around $250 but you can probably do better during a sale. Same with a jacket. I wear the pants all the time including once it starts to get cold around here.

Paid less than $100 for the Adidas rain boots - they're more comfortable than some of the golf shoes I own.

Two pairs of rain gloves.

Two stormproof rain hats - one Titleist and one TM.

Leave the umbrella at home.

+1 on function18 or golfposer - which has always been my go to.

Edited by dcmidnight

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

I have the Footjoy rain pants (maybe dry joy level, they were like 150), and the fj hyperlight rain parka ($195), and have never had an issue at Bandon, or even in Scotland. Played in monsoons at both places. Unless you are out in it 7 days a week, 36 holes, like a caddy, you don't need to spend a ton of money on rain gear. Make sure you have a couple pairs of waterproof shoes/boots, rain grips, and waterproof bucket hats.

As others have mentioned, two pairs of shoes are a must if you think you are going to be playing in the rain.

I bought my GoreTex bucket hat on my first trip to Bandon. Still going strong 15 years later.

• Like 2

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : KBS TD 70 Cat 3 / Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Srixon ZXU #2 : Nippon Modus 3 120-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54: Nippon Modus2 120/125 S 

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125 Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

There's a huge thread on rain gear on WRX somewhere.  It's like 30+ pages of Bandon nerds going over all this.  

Long story made short - get good stuff.  Lots of socks, waterproof shoes/boots, gloves, bucket hat... you'll want solid gear for all of it.

I have gone in Jan twice, and go with ECCO shoes, fancy blister proof socks, Smartwool type unders, Sunice Goretex pants, the top end Sunice jacket (the ones they sell in the shops) and a floppy hat.  Serves me well.

Echo all of the above. You should be able to buy really good stuff (GG, Zero, Sunice) on black Friday or Cyber Monday. The thing to remember is if you buy a nice Black Galvin Green Gore Tex jacket, it will literally be the last one you ever buy and they last decades. I have a Scottish friend I play with here in Southern California and he wears his GG on winter days and it looks exactly like mine which is 5 years old and his is 20 years old. They don't wear out. You can get away with not going crazy on the rain pants. I have a pair of Linksoul which i paid under $100 and they are fine even on nasty Bandon or Irish days. Waterproof shoes. I prefer Ecco Gore Tex. Change socks after every round. They sell bucket hats at Bandon that keep the water off of your neck. rain gloves are very important!!!

I would wait until Black Friday to buy but would always check Func 18 and Trendygolf for sales and deals. 

Lots of folks ruin the trip of their lifetime by going cheap. I had a friend go last January and they had 2 incredible days. I had told him over and over about good rain gear and he said they were fine. the 3rd day they got the horrible rain w wind and he said it was the worst day of his life!

I go to Royal Portrush next week and bought my wife a Galvin Green jacket that was 450.00 on sale for 200.00. It will be last jacket we need to buy her and I know that she will not be miserable. 

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: Sim2 9* Oban Hashimoto 04

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Vokey SM6 54*PXG 0311 58*

Putter: SC Newport 2
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

What sites or places usually have the best black Friday cyber Monday deals on Galvin Green? Figure I'll get a nice black gore tex one and be done.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

On 8/23/2021 at 8:48 AM, EsserBroGolf said:

We're going to Bandon in February and I'm looking to invest in some rain gear. For those that have been there when it's raining, I'm sure its a lot, do you need the $1,000+ rain gear or can you get away with the $500-$750 rain gear? Also, what other gear does everyone recommend for a February Bandon trip??

Hard to beat FJ for the price. Never had an issue with the Hydrolite line.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Aldila NVS 85 Reg
PXG Gen 3 0311XP 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Reg

Ping Tour-S Raw 56* @ 55, 60* KBS Tour 90 Wrx combo grind
Evnroll ER8 33”

Hmm.  Interesting thought on the waterproof socks.  The issue at Bandon is that the wind often blows the rain into the gap between pants and shoes, which gets your socks wet and the water seeps down into the shoe.  Might give these a try.

Anyone try the waterproof gloves?  Keeping the hands warm during a cold rain shower is my one remaining big issue.  Rain gloves work for grip, but do nothing to keep my hands warm.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 8/23/2021 at 12:12 PM, PorkChopExpress said:

KJUS is the go to now. All the guys went from Galvin to KJUS. Flexible, makes less noise

main thing is once you’re zipped up, do not open anything when it’s coming down. 
Any little opening and sh1t is all over hahaha

Agree 100% on Kjus, just fantastic stuff. Incredibly comfortable, breathable, flexible, and waterproof.  The flex fabric in the shoulders, in particular, is magic for making the jacket feel like it is not even there. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 51.09 PX
Joe Kwok 57* DG 115 Tour Issue
Scotty Studio Select NP2 33"

ProV1x

On 8/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Serenity Now said:

Echo all of the above. You should be able to buy really good stuff (GG, Zero, Sunice) on black Friday or Cyber Monday. The thing to remember is if you buy a nice Black Galvin Green Gore Tex jacket, it will literally be the last one you ever buy and they last decades. I have a Scottish friend I play with here in Southern California and he wears his GG on winter days and it looks exactly like mine which is 5 years old and his is 20 years old. They don't wear out. You can get away with not going crazy on the rain pants. I have a pair of Linksoul which i paid under $100 and they are fine even on nasty Bandon or Irish days. Waterproof shoes. I prefer Ecco Gore Tex. Change socks after every round. They sell bucket hats at Bandon that keep the water off of your neck. rain gloves are very important!!!

I would wait until Black Friday to buy but would always check Func 18 and Trendygolf for sales and deals. 

Lots of folks ruin the trip of their lifetime by going cheap. I had a friend go last January and they had 2 incredible days. I had told him over and over about good rain gear and he said they were fine. the 3rd day they got the horrible rain w wind and he said it was the worst day of his life!

I go to Royal Portrush next week and bought my wife a Galvin Green jacket that was 450.00 on sale for 200.00. It will be last jacket we need to buy her and I know that she will not be miserable. 

First off, super jealous about Portrush.  I've been there, but didn't get to play, and it kills me with every sip of Bushmills since...  Enjoy!

Also, finding last year or previous year's gear on sale is a great idea too.  No need for the new stuff, when you can get sick discounts on closeout high end stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rain gloves are like magic. Can't believe I waited so long to get a pair, but I've used them a handful of times over the last year and they are a lifesaver. Also nice for those colder days when having a glove on both hands saves a lot of discomfort. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

As someone who can attest to this, don’t plan on anything lasting the rest of your life. I have $1500 worth of rain gear that is currently too large for me as I got into really good shape. Dropped from a tight 34 waist pant to a loose 32 waist pant. Just a word of warning there. 

As for watch you should look for, Goretex is the gold standard but just as important as that is making sure it has taped seams. If it’s Goretex and doesn’t have taped seams, water will penetrate the seams and get you wet. 

Good luck and have fun!

On 8/24/2021 at 10:18 AM, jvincent said:

As others have mentioned, two pairs of shoes are a must if you think you are going to be playing in the rain.

I bought my GoreTex bucket hat on my first trip to Bandon. Still going strong 15 years later.

I did the same thing. Whenever I play in the rain I proudly state, “The best $229 I ever spent.” I don’t remember how much it was, but the extended back keeps water from rolling down the back and the structure on the front keeps the rain of your face.

The caddie told us, we don’t use umbrellas bc they’re useless in the wind, so your hat is your umbrella. I love that hat.

Most of my rain gear is Zero Restriction but I have a couple pieces from Sunice.  About 80% of them are made from Goretex and they work fine.  Currently there are a few other cloth formulations that work as well as Goretex but breathe a bit better in warm weather.  The Pinnacle line from Zero Restriction is one of those.  Its still 20,000 rated for wet but is great in the summer.  All of my gear was purchased new but I never spent anywhere near list price.  TGW and Carls Golfland often have great sales on previous year merchandise.  E-bay also has lots of "new with tags" rain gear available and is worth looking at.  No need to spend $1000 for a rain suit anymore if you are a patient shopper and have the luxury to spend time shopping around.   

Just got back from Ireland. We played 2 rounds in a steady downpour. Nobody in our group stayed dry. We all had different brands, (FJ, Zero, Callaway, etc..) but I’m wondering if in some conditions you’re going to wet no matter what you wear. 

Evnroll ER8 33”

On 10/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, hammergolf said:

Just got back from Ireland. We played 2 rounds in a steady downpour. Nobody in our group stayed dry. We all had different brands, (FJ, Zero, Callaway, etc..) but I’m wondering if in some conditions you’re going to wet no matter what you wear. 

It’s according how hard the rain is but all rain gear will eventually fail if enough moisture is present. 

26 minutes ago, Chilidog said:

It’s according how hard the rain is but all rain gear will eventually fail if enough moisture is present. 

Yeah we got non stop rain for two of our rounds, and I was drenched after 9 holes.

Evnroll ER8 33”

As others have said - 2 pairs of shoes / 2 pairs of rain gloves.

I've been on a SB weekend in Feb and it was a nice spring day where you could even sit outside. Have also been dumped on in April. Contrary to what others have mentioned, I've found Marmot Goretex paclite gear to be good enough when we played in hard rain. But get Goretex either way - it actually is fun to see how well you can play in awful weather. It's part of the experience there. Have fun.