Portugal Golf Trip (but with Gf, so don't get crazy)

shadymg

heading to spain next year with my gf to visit family i have in northern spain, and I had been hearing about how wonderful golf in Portugal was and flights lined up, so we're ending our trip in LISBON, PORTUGAL!

So now the big debate comes, where do I need to make sure I book & play (and stay?) while I'm in the area?? Not sure how many rounds I'm going to be able to get away with, but figure I'll ask for more and be happy with a few less. Not sure if LISBON is ideal, but obviously for travel I had to end the trip there, so if there's good courses there that would also be ideal and make travel with golf clubs easier. I won't have a car, so convenient locations would be ideal.

Will be going in May/June, so hopefully weather should be great.

Thanks!

EDIT: ITINERARY NEAR COMPLETE. Starting the trip in PORTO, then driving down to LISBON, and golfing a few times in between!

EDIT2: Hope this thread has helped others as much as it has me. So many great & helpful suggestions from folks in general. So the trip is ending up this way from a golf perspective:

• Fly into Porto
  • Estela Golf Course (North of Porto)
  • Drive south
  • Praia Del Rey --> This was by far the toughest call. Between it, West Cliffs, and Royal Obidos. Ultimately for the combination of ocean views and not brutally tough conditions I'm going with Praia, but the choice was TOUGH!!
  • Drive South
  • Oitavos Dunes in Castaic (Just west of Lisbon)

That's it! 3 Rounds is all the lil lady would let me get away with (she plays with me), but i'm stoked. So many gorgeous courses there.

Edited by shadymg

Estoril is a nice oldschool course with excellent greens and some interesting holes. 30 minutes west of Lisbon. 

If you’re up for a little longer drive, go to West Cliffs. Fantastic course, pretty new and usually in great condition. 

Praia del Rey is in the same neighborhood and a good course. There are amazing beaches in that area, go there for a magic sunset with your girl. The Marriott there is a great hotel right at the beach. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2021 at 4:23 PM, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Estoril is a nice oldschool course with excellent greens and some interesting holes. 30 minutes west of Lisbon. 

If you’re up for a little longer drive, go to West Cliffs. Fantastic course, pretty new and usually in great condition. 

Praia del Rey is in the same neighborhood and a good course. There are amazing beaches in that area, go there for a magic sunset with your girl. The Marriott there is a great hotel right at the beach. 

Have fun!

Looking at options for my groups next trip and Portugal is looking very interesting. Not sure why more Americans don’t know about Portugal, but the Weather, price, and courses available seem like a great option. Can you give me some advice on the courses? We are looking at playing the following courses:

West Cliffs

Praia del Rey

Royal Obidos

Bom Sucesso

Are there any other courses you would suggest?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Looking at options for my groups next trip and Portugal is looking very interesting. Not sure why more Americans don’t know about Portugal, but the Weather, price, and courses available seem like a great option. Can you give me some advice on the courses? We are looking at playing the following courses:

West Cliffs

Praia del Rey

Royal Obidos

Bom Sucesso

Are there any other courses you would suggest?

Thr beaches are stunning and the climate is great for golf and vacationing. 

West Cliffs: pretty spectacular, albeit a little forced on the whole „links golf“ theme. There’s no rough, you’re either in play or the ball is gone (apart from the „native areas“ aka fairway bunker complexes). Loads of fun holes, great views, but not the most naturally embedded course- still, my no. 1 course in central Portugal. 

Praia d‘el Rey: good resort course, worth playing. Winds through the resort and its villas. Well maintained. 

Royal Obidos: didn’t mean play it, don’t remember why. 

Bom Successo: they had major greens maintenance going on, so didn’t play. I heard it’s a failed resort project and as fake as it gets- the course might still be nice, I don’t know. Played West Cliffs 3 times and Praia 2. 

Chrck out the Marriott Praia d‘el Rey, it’s a good hotel right on the most beautiful beach. 

Go to Lisbon for a day or two and play  Estoril. Can be noisy when there’s racing practice on the nearby circuit, but it’s a great old school course. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

40 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Thr beaches are stunning and the climate is great for golf and vacationing. 

West Cliffs: pretty spectacular, albeit a little forced on the whole „links golf“ theme. There’s no rough, you’re either in play or the ball is gone (apart from the „native areas“ aka fairway bunker complexes). Loads of fun holes, great views, but not the most naturally embedded course- still, my no. 1 course in central Portugal. 

Praia d‘el Rey: good resort course, worth playing. Winds through the resort and its villas. Well maintained. 

Royal Obidos: didn’t mean play it, don’t remember why. 

Bom Successo: they had major greens maintenance going on, so didn’t play. I heard it’s a failed resort project and as fake as it gets- the course might still be nice, I don’t know. Played West Cliffs 3 times and Praia 2. 

Chrck out the Marriott Praia d‘el Rey, it’s a good hotel right on the most beautiful beach. 

Go to Lisbon for a day or two and play  Estoril. Can be noisy when there’s racing practice on the nearby circuit, but it’s a great old school course. 

Thanks for the input. I’ve been to Portugal before and LOVED IT! I didn’t play any golf, but it def looks like the best two are West Cliffs and Praia. Generally on our trips we play 7 days so we may have to adjust 

• Thanks 1

Some awesome responses, hopefully it benefits others so thanks to all. Those that have done it, how have you gotten around? Rental car I presume is the most prudent way? Or do you use a golf booking agency service? I'd imagine ubers will break the bank (if you can even find it since some of these courses seem far). I'm flying in & out of Lisbon so wondering if we should stay there or not.

22 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Thanks for the input. I’ve been to Portugal before and LOVED IT! I didn’t play any golf, but it def looks like the best two are West Cliffs and Praia. Generally on our trips we play 7 days so we may have to adjust 

There’s a lot of good courses in the south, I just haven’t been there, yet. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

17 hours ago, shadymg said:

Some awesome responses, hopefully it benefits others so thanks to all. Those that have done it, how have you gotten around? Rental car I presume is the most prudent way? Or do you use a golf booking agency service? I'd imagine ubers will break the bank (if you can even find it since some of these courses seem far). I'm flying in & out of Lisbon so wondering if we should stay there or not.

Rental car it is. I’ve been using a great (German) website that consolidates all the suppliers and weeds out the bad seeds. The prices are ALWAYS lower than on the respective websites, as they are buying bulk rates. They work all over Europe. 

www.billiger-mietwagen.de

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

18 hours ago, shadymg said:

I’ve traveled to most of Western Europe and driven in every country. I would say Portugal is one of the easiest countries as far as driving goes. Good roads, and fairly easy to get around. I would recommend taking a day to explore Lisbon,  it’s a great city with so much history and charm. Also if you have the time, take your gf to Sintra to see The Pena Palace on the drive up to the golf courses. That will get you some brownie points for sure. As far as Europe goes, prices are much more reasonable in Portugal. Go to tee times.pt to book your golf yourself. They guarantee the lowest rate and it’s simple. 

• Like 2

Very solid advice from hammergolf. There’s tolls on the highways, but they are very reasonable.

I second the Lisbon comments, it’s a magical old European city well worth spending a day in. Coimbra, on the other hand, was surprisingly dull. Really just a boring town 🤷‍♂️😁

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

• 2 weeks later...

Oitavos Dunes fallen from favor?

Comporta Dunes open yet? (David Macklay Kid course south of Setubal, 1.5 hours south of Lisbon)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to have some suggestions for courses in the PORTO area?

EDIT: SEEMS LIKE ESTELA IS GREAT IF we DONT MIND GOING NORTH. OR OPORTO SINCE IT WOULD BE ON THE WAY SOUTH. OTHER THOUGHTS????

We took enough people's suggestion to rent a car and drive around, so planning on flying into Porto, driving down to Coimbra, then go to Nazare and play one of those stellar courses like West Cliffs or Obidos, then end the trip in Lisbon and play something like Penha Longo.

EDIT: Here are the courses from the lame top100 list (open to suggestions beyond here. THe right column is the rank of all of portugal):

PORTO      
Estela Porto Area 14 23 mi North of Porto
Vidago Palace Porto Area 28
84 miles East of Porto
Oporto Porto Area 42 22 mi SOUTH
Amarante Porto Area 44 PRIVATE
Ponte de Lima Porto Area 49 50 miles NORTH
Miramar Porto Area n/a 16 miles SOUTH

Edited by shadymg

On 1/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, shadymg said:

Does anyone happen to have some suggestions for courses in the PORTO area?

EDIT: SEEMS LIKE ESTELA IS GREAT IF we DONT MIND GOING NORTH. OR OPORTO SINCE IT WOULD BE ON THE WAY SOUTH. OTHER THOUGHTS????

We took enough people's suggestion to rent a car and drive around, so planning on flying into Porto, driving down to Coimbra, then go to Nazare and play one of those stellar courses like West Cliffs or Obidos, then end the trip in Lisbon and play something like Penha Longo.

EDIT: Here are the courses from the lame top100 list (open to suggestions beyond here. THe right column is the rank of all of portugal):

PORTO      
Estela Porto Area 14 23 mi North of Porto
Vidago Palace Porto Area 28
84 miles East of Porto
Oporto Porto Area 42 22 mi SOUTH
Amarante Porto Area 44 PRIVATE
Ponte de Lima Porto Area 49 50 miles NORTH
Miramar Porto Area n/a 16 miles SOUTH

From what I was told by a my friend who lives in Portgual there are not many good options for golf the further North you go of The Silver Coast. Only one he said he likes to play is Estela since it is on the beach. From looking at the rankings this def seems to be the case. I would say don't play in Porto to get some brownie points with the gf then play one more day on The Silver Coast or around Lisbon.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/24/2021 at 4:04 PM, shadymg said:

heading to spain next year with my gf to visit family i have in northern spain, and I had been hearing about how wonderful golf in Portugal was and flights lined up, so we're ending our trip in LISBON, PORTUGAL!

So now the big debate comes, where do I need to make sure I book & play (and stay?) while I'm in the area?? Not sure how many rounds I'm going to be able to get away with, but figure I'll ask for more and be happy with a few less. Not sure if LISBON is ideal, but obviously for travel I had to end the trip there, so if there's good courses there that would also be ideal and make travel with golf clubs easier. I won't have a car, so convenient locations would be ideal.

Will be going in May/June, so hopefully weather should be great.

Thanks!

EDIT: ITINERARY NEAR COMPLETE. Starting the trip in PORTO, then driving down to LISBON, and golfing a few times in between!

EDIT2: Hope this thread has helped others as much as it has me. So many great & helpful suggestions from folks in general. So the trip is ending up this way from a golf perspective:

• Fly into Porto
  • Estela Golf Course (North of Porto)
  • Drive south
  • Praia Del Rey --> This was by far the toughest call. Between it, West Cliffs, and Royal Obidos. Ultimately for the combination of ocean views and not brutally tough conditions I'm going with Praia, but the choice was TOUGH!!
  • Drive South
  • Oitavos Dunes in Castaic (Just west of Lisbon)

That's it! 3 Rounds is all the lil lady would let me get away with (she plays with me), but i'm stoked. So many gorgeous courses there.

How was the trip?

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

How was the trip?

It was great! Although it was a bit shocking when we got off the plane only to encounter gloomy cloudy weather and rain in the forecast nearly every day. But come to find out that the weather is very much tropical--warm and very humid, and the rain comes in short bursts. Didn't know that so we had ended up cancelling our first day round at Estela which was a huge bummer, but then we made sure we kept our times at Oitavos Dunes and Praia d'el Rey. Although with the gloomy weather came some winds that made the rounds more difficult than they probably would have been. Great courses though, well worth the journey. Crazy is the cart fees to me, i think one was $50 and the other around the same, pretty nuts. So they definitely prefer walkers (I am, gf is not)!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like the wife and I will be going to Portugal next summer, she has given me "permission" to play 2-3x. Now to figure out where to play. We'll probably stay along the coast, Porto, Lisbon and then the Algarve region. 

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

5 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

It looks like the wife and I will be going to Portugal next summer, she has given me "permission" to play 2-3x. Now to figure out where to play. We'll probably stay along the coast, Porto, Lisbon and then the Algarve region. 

That would be a long amount of driving to go from porto down to algarve. depending on what other activities you need to do, if golf is the priority, i think you're better off going the Lisbon > Algarve route. There really was just one or two good courses around porto, but it depends what else is on the agenda. 

Golf is NOT the priority, or I would be playing 7 -8 times! We do not mind driving as we would like to see the country anyway. I'll probably only play down near Algarve me thinks.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

9 minutes ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

Golf is NOT the priority, or I would be playing 7 -8 times! We do not mind driving as we would like to see the country anyway. I'll probably only play down near Algarve me thinks.

Gotcha. I did the road trip from Porto > Fatima > Cascais > Lisbon. The toll roads are frigging amazing so make sure you get the toll pass thing. Driving around was pretty easy. A bit more stressful in porto because the streets are SO narrow/tight. I've never been to the Algarve, but i believe it's mainly beaches and resorts. Shoot me a DM if you want to see my trip research spreadsheet. won't help for the Algarve section, but hopefully you can find value for everywhere else if you wanted, happy to share.

5 hours ago, BEND OF THE RIVER GC said:

I agree with Shady. If I had a choice I would play West Cliffs or Praia Del Rey in the way down from Porto to Lisbon.

• 2 weeks later...

bumping- headed to Tavira this weekend for 10 days. Has anyone been recently? I'm up for a 30-40 minute drive if it's worth it! Worth it meaning, good views and fantastic condition.

WITB

Sim2 - Ventus TR Blue 6x

Sim 3 Wood - PX Smoke 6.5 

Mavrik Pro 3 hybrid - KBS Proto 80x

ZX 4 Utility - Modus 120x

P770 - Modus 120x

Milled Grind, High Toe - S400

Phantom X9

Have a great trip! I haven’t been lately, but Monte Rei is very close to you and the #1 rated course in Portugal. It’s a Nicklaus design with top notch condition and service. 

https://www.monte-rei.com/en/