T100S - Wedge Setup

I'm in the market for some new wedges and was just wondering what the config looks like for players with similar setups or lofts towards the bottom of their bag. I game the 100S first-gen irons and the lofting of the PW/GW make the bottom of the bag weird. My top of the bag setup certainly doesn't help either lol.

Currently my bag looks like this

Driver

3 Wood

5 Wood

4 Hybrid

5-GW (PW 44*, GW 48*) 

54* SW

58* LW

I don't really need to replace my 48* GW, but I'm open to doing it to sort out the gapping a bit better. I've been thinking about keeping the 44* PW, 48* GW and replacing both my 54/58 with a 52/56. I've also thought about just keeping the same setup but was just wondering what people with similar configs do.

TaylorMade SIM Max D 9.0*
Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist TS2 23* (4 Hybrid)
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

SIK Sho C-Series w/ Slant Neck or Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 or TaylorMade Spider Tour 😅
Titleist ProV1x

Try not to get overly anal about exact gapping on lower end.  If a wedge is 1* off it's NOT going to change its usability.  Though my 620 MBs have more traditional lofts, 47' PW, my Gap is 52 and LW 58... and never had a problem.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

Depends on what you're after.  You could just move up to a 60 deg, or strengthen your SW to 53 deg.  Personally I would look at your carry distances and bend to suit your SW.  I stopped carrying a 60 deg a few years ago and I don't miss it. 

• Like 1

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

How is your distance control with your GW and 54*? How often are you hitting full or half wedges into greens? If you can hit control your distances well, I'd opt for the higher lofted wedge combination for versatility around the greens.

A few unlisted options are having your PW bent to 45* and then having a 50*, 54* bent to 55*, and 60*, or a set with 48*, 54*, 60*

• Like 1

My P790s have similar lofts down to a 45* PW, which I mainly use for full swing shots. Below that I really use two “gap” wedges, Vokey 50/12F and a 56/8M. I use both for chipping around the green and they each cover the 110-75 and <75 yard ranges on approach shots with 3/4 and 1/2 swings. Then I have a 60/14K which I use almost exclusively from bunkers, so I call that my SW even though it’s LW loft. If I have to hit a flop or pitch with extra height I will pick between the 56* laid open or the 60* depending on the lie, usually defaulting to the 56*.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indygolfer18 said:

How is your distance control with your GW and 54*? How often are you hitting full or half wedges into greens? If you can hit control your distances well, I'd opt for the higher lofted wedge combination for versatility around the greens.

A few unlisted options are having your PW bent to 45* and then having a 50*, 54* bent to 55*, and 60*, or a set with 48*, 54*, 60*

I feel pretty confident in my distance control and versatility with my 54*, not as confident with the GW. If I'm inside 100 yards and a specialty shot with the 58* isn't needed, my go to is the 54*. 

I have given some thought to bending stronger/weaker. I do like the idea of bending the PW and opting for a 50*, 54*, and a 58* or a 60*.

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

SIK Sho C-Series w/ Slant Neck or Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 or TaylorMade Spider Tour 😅
Titleist ProV1x

9 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Try not to get overly anal about exact gapping on lower end.  If a wedge is 1* off it's NOT going to change its usability.  Though my 620 MBs have more traditional lofts, 47' PW, my Gap is 52 and LW 58... and never had a problem.

I know, I really try. But sometimes you play a round and walk away from a hole or two going "man, if I had a ____ wedge I could've been spot on" and then thats all you think about during and after the round until the next lol.

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

9 hours ago, MattC555 said:

Depends on what you're after.  You could just move up to a 60 deg, or strengthen your SW to 53 deg.  Personally I would look at your carry distances and bend to suit your SW.  I stopped carrying a 60 deg a few years ago and I don't miss it. 

Thats not a bad idea. I'm with you on the 60*, lot of folks just carrying one because its become the "traditional" thing to do.

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

8 hours ago, bpdhlbrg said:

My P790s have similar lofts down to a 45* PW, which I mainly use for full swing shots. Below that I really use two “gap” wedges, Vokey 50/12F and a 56/8M. I use both for chipping around the green and they each cover the 110-75 and <75 yard ranges on approach shots with 3/4 and 1/2 swings. Then I have a 60/14K which I use almost exclusively from bunkers, so I call that my SW even though it’s LW loft. If I have to hit a flop or pitch with extra height I will pick between the 56* laid open or the 60* depending on the lie, usually defaulting to the 56*.

I more or less currently do everything you're saying except instead of a 50/56/60 do it with the 48/54/58. I've got less touch with my 48 inside 105ish though. My 58 is my go-to bunker club as of late (firm bunkers around my parts so I really like it when I need to really dig under).

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

8 hours ago, buzlin said:

I have the same wedge setup, T100s 48* GW, 54/58 wedges.  I LOVE the 48, and just choke up on it to fill the gap.

Agree, I honestly have been shocked at how much I have loved the 48. I don't have the greatest touch with it inside 105-100ish but man, it is always spot on when I need that 105-110 number. More people need to give their iron set gap wedges a try because I can't imagine a specialty GW being much better. 

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

7 hours ago, larryd3 said:

I'm using the same 54 and 58.  I've got T100s on order but don't see that is going to make me update my wedges.  At least I hope not.  

You're gonna love em. I was fitted last year for these and had my current 54/58 wedge setup. The fitter said gapping from the 48 to the 54 was gonna be pushing it but I just kept on rolling with them anyways. Can't say they haven't been good to me, its just sometimes I find myself in one or two positions a round where I think a 52 instead of a 54 or a 50 instead of a 48 would be great. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

I'm using 52/56/60 with my T100S. The gapping works perfect for me as I don't want to swing hard with the wedges and focus on distance control. It's worked great so far.

• Like 1

PXG 0811X Gen4 10.5° - Fujikura Ventus Black 6

PXG 0341X Gen4 15° - Aldila NV Green 75

PXG 0317X Gen4 22° - Aldila NV Green 85
Titleist T100S 5-AW - Project X LZ
Vokey "Slate Blue" SM8 - 52°/56°/60° - Project X LZ
Edel EAS 1.0

Learn to hit different shots with your wedges. I go straight from my 50* GW to a 58*LW. If I need a distance between I just take some off the GW. I'm much more comfortable hitting partial shots with wedges. I feel it improves your touch .

• Like 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Taylormade M2 3 wood

Ping G425 5 wood

Tour Edge 5&6 ES521H

Titleist 714AP2, 6-GW,

Ping Glide 58ES

Ping Redwood Piper S

I have almost the same set up, 48-54-60. I had ordered a 48 when I bought the T100s irons and it was taking awhile. I was getting comfortable dialing back the PW or stepping on the 54, part of that experience was kind of fun tying to make that work. Made me wonder if I really needed a 48 and I still wonder that. My 48 is about a 110 yd club. I also have went back and forth on keeping the 60 but it's nice to have for special shots, I never swing it full, bounce is really low and I haven't practiced full shots with it. 

I think I really only need 12 clubs. Those last two cause me to tinker on both ends of the bag. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zachillusions said:

I know, I really try. But sometimes you play a round and walk away from a hole or two going "man, if I had a ____ wedge I could've been spot on" and then thats all you think about during and after the round until the next lol.

I understand your thought, but NEVER blame the outcome on a wish of some imaginary club.  If I miss getting the ball tight for tap in par or birdie, it was MY FAULT for not properly executing and or reading conditions.   Clubs are tools, they don't make the score.  Its the man.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

On 8/27/2021 at 11:26 PM, zachillusions said:

I feel pretty confident in my distance control and versatility with my 54*, not as confident with the GW. If I'm inside 100 yards and a specialty shot with the 58* isn't needed, my go to is the 54*. 

I have given some thought to bending stronger/weaker. I do like the idea of bending the PW and opting for a 50*, 54*, and a 58* or a 60*.

I would lean towards the idea of bending the pitching wedge. Right now, distance control with my wedges is my weak point so I'm carrying pw, 50, 54 bent to 55, and a 60! My PW is 46* though so the distances work out. Once I sort my distance control out, I'll probably drop the 50* and have a 54* and 60* to make room for a 2i. Let us know what you end up doing!

• Like 1

Bit of an update - gonna get some range time and play a round with a PW/48/52/56 setup sometime this week and will report back. Still sorta leaning towards the idea of bending my PW to 45 or sticking with a PW/48/54/58 setup as of right now but we'll see how it goes!

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Played a couple rounds with 48/52/56 and personally wasn't a big fan. I think some of it is just mentally being used to a 48/54/58 setup, but overall I felt that yardages between 48 vs 52 were just too close. It made me more indecisive and unsure of what club to pull at yardages I normally am familiar with. Some of that I'm sure is just me but it left me thinking there was no reason to force myself into a different setup if the results weren't obviously and immediately better. 

So right now the decision is to stick with a PW(44)/48/54/58 setup. Appreciate everyone's opinions and feedback.

Edited by zachillusions

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x

my ideal setup is 50-56-60. I have one GI set where the PW is 44 and the set I regularly use is 46. This is where I think the 50 degree gap wedge shines, as it can cover the gaps from PWs that are at the strong spectrum (43-44), up until semi-traditional (46-47). 48 might be pushing it, but you get the jist.

• Like 1

I have a 46 degree T100 and then  52, 58, and 64 degree wedges. The 6 degree gaps work for me - I rarely use the 58 and 64 for full swings, and the 52 is about 50/50 partial/full.

I have a set of T100S' on order and I think I'll keep the same set-up and spend a bit more time practicing partial wedges. If that doesn't work, I'll have my 52 degree wedge bent 1 degree weak but I don't see that making much difference. But we'll see - there's only one way to find out 😄

Titleist TSi3 9*  | HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60/6.5

Titleist U510 16* | Ventus Blue VeloCore 9X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 120S

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway Jaws MD5 52 | KBS Tour 120S

Callaway PM Grind 58* & 64* | KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom | Accra x LAB

I am currently 46, 50, and 58.  I have a 54, but I never find a use for it.  My distance gapping is such that the difference between a full 54 and 58 is less than 10 yards.  To cover I just choke up on the 50 and 3/4 swing.  It is more repeatable for me.  The 58 is very versatile.  I prefer a bit of a press on full swings with it to take off a bit of loft and bounce.  It is great out of bunkers, and is my go to chipper if I need to fly the ball.  It was in my best interest to ignore the loft and focus on usability and distance. 

• Like 1

G410 10.5 Ventus VeloCore Blue 6TX - SIM2 HL 3W Ventus Blue 6S - Titleist 915 2H Red Board S - Mizuno MP 20 Proj X IO 6.0 - Clev 588 Forged Wedges - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

On 9/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, steventoo said:

I have a 46 degree T100 and then  52, 58, and 64 degree wedges. The 6 degree gaps work for me - I rarely use the 58 and 64 for full swings, and the 52 is about 50/50 partial/full.

I have a set of T100S' on order and I think I'll keep the same set-up and spend a bit more time practicing partial wedges. If that doesn't work, I'll have my 52 degree wedge bent 1 degree weak but I don't see that making much difference. But we'll see - there's only one way to find out 😄

Congrats on the T100S! Been resisting the urge to hit the newer gen because I know I'll take the plunge myself hahaha

Titleist TS2 3 Wood 15*

TaylorMade M3 5 Wood 19*
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*

Titleist ProV1x