Why Heavier Putter Heads? What's So Bad About 330 Grams?

EmperorPenguin

2 hours ago, ALIF said:

As a boy who grew up in Afton in south county, I appreciate the graphics!

My stomping grounds!

Gorged myself on Phil's bbq!

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I currently have a 365g head with a 105g grip on it and have 1000% more confidence that the ball is going where I want it.  I never wanted to admit it but I had a mild case of the yips for years, and whether it's this head shape or the weight of the putter, I'm able to have confidence that I can just stroke it and my hands won't do anything.

For anyone out there looking for a new putter that's lighter weight you can still order original PING putters from Morton's.  I bought a naked Anser and had it bent upright for an experiment a few years ago - they are still great putters.

https://www.mortongolfsales.com/clubs/mens-golf-clubs/putters/?_bc_fsnf=1&brand=39

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I have a 365G Black Lab BL-1 and love the heavy.....it helps me keep my hands quiet and focus on my shoulders being the engine of the putting stroke.   And with fast greens, it also helps me let the putter do the work.

TM Qi10 LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6x- Velocore
TM Stealth+ 3W- Fuji Speeder Tour X
3-5 TM P7MC  KBS Tour 130 XS

6-9 TM 23' P7MB KBS Tour 130 XS
50* & 58* MG3- Black 
Black Lab BL-1 365G 

From PGA.com: 

Consider your height, not just the “standard” putter length
Virtually every Tour player is fit to their putter. But almost no amateur players do that! The average height of a PGA Tour player today is 6' and he uses a 33.5 inch putter on average. You guys are using a 35 inch putter on average because that is the "standard" putter. A properly fit putter will allow you to set up with your hips over your ankles, your hands under your shoulders with a little bend in the elbows and your eyes over the ball. 
Is your putter giving you the best odds of hitting a good shot?
Unless you're 6'2" or more, then your 35 inch putter will not allow you to set up correctly and will not give you the best chance to make a good stroke. And just cutting down your putter will not work because it will then be too light. The head weight must increase as the club gets shorter to keep the swing weight in balance. The answer then is a custom fit putter.
A custom putter could make all the difference
Only a few companies are offering true custom putters that are fit to the player by a PGA Professional. Talk to your PGA Professional about getting a custom fit putter or search online for a PGA Professional in your area who fits and sells custom putters. 
Once a player is put in a proper setup with a putter that fits, the stroke will improve without much work or over thinking. On the other hand, all the coaching in the world will not help if the putter won't let you make a good stroke because it does not fit.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

9 hours ago, ALIF said:

4 minutes from the house I grew up in.

Even less from my buddies grandparents, they were on Vasel 5 houses from Phils

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

15 hours ago, deh said:

Please, please, please, do not grind that 50th anniversary putter down.

If I will leave myself more 4-, 5- and 6-footers for my second putt, I will definitely grind it down!  For now the club is sitting on my rack and I may give it another try.  Maybe the first day I used it I just had a bad day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

If I will leave myself more 4-, 5- and 6-footers for my second putt, I will definitely grind it down!  For now the club is sitting on my rack and I may give it another try.  Maybe the first day I used it I just had a bad day.

Obviously you can do anything you want; it is your putter. If you want to grind the bumpers off of it, have at it. It would just be a shame to spend $400 on a putter that you might resell, then alter it so significantly that the resale value plummets. What do I know... 🙄

WITB:

Driver - Titleist TSR3

3 Wood - PING G425 LST 

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons (4-PW): Mizuno Pro 223

Wedges: Mizuno T24 - 50*, 56*

Putter: Cameron '23 Phantom X 5

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

On 8/28/2021 at 8:22 PM, luke1333 said:

I would say everybody, Taylormade, Scotty, Odyssey, etc etc you name it. Every OTR is heavy nowadays from what I've seen. Maybe somebody else will know why but I don't know

I play 375g on wet/slow greens, 350g on your decently fast 10-12 on the stimp and anything fast usually breaks out my 326g I got last year just for the super fast greens.

I honestly don't know how people use super heavy putters on fast greens at all but I guess lot of practice dunno?

It’s funny. I’m the same. I don’t get how it’s assumed that on faster greens most people want a heavier head. When you’ve got to move a putter head 3 inches both ways for a slippery downhill left to righter, give me that light blade that I can square the face up without it it going 6 feet by

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phenderson said:

It’s funny. I’m the same. I don’t get how it’s assumed that on faster greens most people want a heavier head. When you’ve got to move a putter head 3 inches both ways for a slippery downhill left to righter, give me that light blade that I can square the face up without it it going 6 feet by

Exactly. I am dumbfounded too by people with heavy putters and then they get mad when they can't make putts on fast greens lol

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Bigger heavier grips in recent years is a big reason, gotta increase head weight for better balance. At 34" with a PP58 grip, my 326g putter is perfect. I have 2 other putters with ~310g and 335g head weight and they are nice but not quite perfect, backups if I need them. Anything over 350g with my grip/shaft length combo just doesn't work and feels like a sledgehammer.

I also agree with the sentiment that a heavier head is better for slower greens. Easier to build up momentum with the extra weight and give the ball a bit more speed.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

On 8/27/2021 at 11:31 PM, MPAndreassi said:

Personally, I play my putter heads all in the 370-375g, I play my putters shorter at 33”, and my club runs at 10+ all summer long. 

For me, the combination of the shorter length and heavier weight smooths put my stroke. If the head is too light my stroke gets quick and jerky. When it gets heavier than 375g I lose my speed control. 

Same for me, I got into heavier putters when I realized 33" was about as long a putter as I could putt well with. I did a little experimenting with my preferred grip and settled on a specific counterweight that felt great, and I've used the same putter specs ever since. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

For me, I’ve really found that a 360g head weight with a 33.5” shaft length and an 84g midsize grip (Golf Pride Tour Classic) works best for me in most conditions.

I have a few putters that are 330g and they just seem to light and whippy for my stroke.  I don’t putt as well when I have to swing that fast.

Edited by stormin70
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

In general, Higher weight results in higher MOI. 

I think head weight should be accommodated with putter length and total balance.

imho the set up is the most important variable for a putting stroke. Hence length and lie are the first factors to look for.  
then head weight shaft weight and butt weight should be tuned to create a combination that will add up to a positive stroke experience with the result measured in impact position, face angle, Path and rhythm and tempo.

Many OEMs may express the importance of fitting but for putting they hold back a bit. Complete exposure of all possibilities is too probably too expensive. 

If one wanted to do a cheap experiment, you could put some sand in the putter shaft through the hole in the grip.  You can fool around with weight pretty easily and you can just pour it out when done.  

Just grab some out of a bunker when you walk by one.  Of you end up liking it, then I suppose you just tamp & cap it with some foam or something like that.

Fun to do.

On 9/8/2021 at 2:03 PM, Lasorcier said:

If one wanted to do a cheap experiment, you could put some sand in the putter shaft through the hole in the grip.  You can fool around with weight pretty easily and you can just pour it out when done.  

Just grab some out of a bunker when you walk by one.  Of you end up liking it, then I suppose you just tamp & cap it with some foam or something like that.

Fun to do.

Lead tape would probably work better in terms of balance.  

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

3 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

Lead tape would probably work better in terms of balance.  

You also don't get sand in your bag. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

I'm sure that is true.  The last experiment I think was like 50 grams.  That is a lot of lead tape.  I also did one with birdshot once, but it sounded like a maracas.

Now that would be an interesting sound!  LOL

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Confession time. I read on another popular golf testing and recommendation site that you cannot tell the weight of a putter head by just swinging it. I thought the was total BS. Starting in 2000 I bought putters directly from Bettinardi's factory in Tinley Park, Ill. My first one was a BB1-H with a 350 gram head, soft carbon. I eventually found a putter I just loved. I used it for over 10 years. It had a 350 gram head, I thought. I came from the tour van with standard Bettinardi honeycomb stamped face, 33", sound slot, rounded top line. I had other putters while owning this one all heavy heads. When I sold that putter I re-shafted it and weighed the head. It was 330 grams. I was so surprised I almost fell over. So I now believe that the article may have been correct. The only difference is that while using that putter I was on much faster greens than I now play.  Also I usd a very heavy grip on that putter with does make some difference. I still use heavy heads but am way less critical of other weights. With all the different faces/inserts it makes it harder to tell the head weight. I put in 12 grams weights on my Spider X but eventually put back in the stock ones w/o any real change in strokes. Golf can be a funny game. 

BB1-Short Slant Proto3_zpswzcqhnpk.webp

BB1-SS-H.jpg

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

On 9/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, Yoshifan151 said:

Bigger heavier grips in recent years is a big reason, gotta increase head weight for better balance. At 34" with a PP58 grip, my 326g putter is perfect. I have 2 other putters with ~310g and 335g head weight and they are nice but not quite perfect, backups if I need them. Anything over 350g with my grip/shaft length combo just doesn't work and feels like a sledgehammer.

I also agree with the sentiment that a heavier head is better for slower greens. Easier to build up momentum with the extra weight and give the ball a bit more speed.

That’s the beauty of equipment. I literally feel exactly the opposite with a light putter. It feels like it’s waving all over the place and I can’t make a stroke, I have to hit it. I use a 385gm Evnroll putter. It’s help me to feel where the putter head is at all times, and I never feel like I have to “hit” it to get it to the hole. I can just make a much smaller more controlled stroke. And the faster the greens get, the better I put. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’ve always used a heavy putter head. Anywhere from 370-385 grams. I don’t subscribe to the putter weight having any effect on fast or slow greens it’s how the ball comes off the face. Some really heavy putters are dead and some light putters are hot off the face. Some people like lighter putters some heavier. It’s all personal. For me I just like the feel of some swingweight. It helps me feel the putter move naturally. 

• Like 3

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I think the total weight/swingweight is very important.   I think that is why heavier heads have evolved  with heavier grips.  Per Scotty Cameron....  

https://www.scottycameron.com/articles/special-select-qa-with-scotty-cameron/

What’s new overall with the Special Select family?

As I evolved the Select line over the past 8 years in keeping with the times, the putter got too wide, long and tall. We’re talking millimeters. Very minute changes over time that are easier to study when you look back. Why did putter sizes change? Head weights have gotten heavier because grips have gotten heavier, shafts have gotten shorter. Players wanted it. Again, in meeting the demands of players, we gradually crept up the weights and sizes. I wanted to get back to the basics. Keep it pure. I wanted to get back to the pure milled shapes we’re known for. Modern classics

Also this:  

https://golf.com/gear/putters/blade-putters-weight-fully-equipped-mailbag/

For me, I find that if I feel that the head is heavy, the putter will want to twist more when I move from the backstoke to the forward stroke, I never get that sense with a lighter head, I think that is the real concept in that Edel video.  I also don't get that sense if the head is heavier and the total putter weight is also heavier.....so it is basically swingweight for me.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I think what caused the trend of heavier putter heads was the Odyssey 2-Ball putter back in 2001.  It started the heavy-head trend because it also started the mallet trend, and mallets tend to be heavier than "blade" (Anser-style putters fall into that category, much to my chagrin) putters?

10 minutes ago, EmperorPenguin said:

I think what caused the trend of heavier putter heads was the Odyssey 2-Ball putter back in 2001.  It started the heavy-head trend because it also started the mallet trend, and mallets tend to be heavier than "blade" (Anser-style putters fall into that category, much to my chagrin) putters?

Uh, the original 2-Ball was about 320g. It wasn't until the "tour" model where they filled the cavity with an epoxy and some weighting got it to 350g. Those tour models were not really available to the public.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Thanks for specifying the head weight.  This is what I observed through the years.  Odyssey 2-Ball was launched and everyone had to have one.  Then the other companies tried to make better mallets and you saw all kinds of mallets.  Then for some reason, the putter heads got heavier.  Maybe this was due to the popularity of mallets?