Cleveland Halo Xl irons... thoughts?

chouls19

12 hours ago, scruffynick said:

I'm off 6 and play the earlier Cleveland hybrids, basically the same. Absolutely love them, would never change ever.....had the bad shanks, hated my irons so I thought why not. Never looked back. I get looked at, a few sNopes here and there....but do I care, nope 😀 so easy to hit and great fun, especially after the shanks 

Curious if anyone loaded up on the XL Halo hybrids, 4, 5 and 6 and then added the XL halo irons?

I bought single irons through Carls. Only change was +3 grips, I got them in under a week (I'm about 1-day ship from Cleveland). The base spec is about spot on for me - I typically go +1/4" in length and 1* upright. Out of the box they measure that compared to most irons. ymmv

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

5 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Curious if anyone loaded up on the XL Halo hybrids, 4, 5 and 6 and then added the XL halo irons?

In the 4,5 and 6 the XL Halo irons are for all intents and purposes hybrids anyway, so if I was in the market for them I'd be inclined to go irons all the way for uniform results. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

5 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Curious why someone would do that given that the XL Halo irons are pretty much hybrids themselves? 

They are sorta hybrids but sorta not. I did just get the 5H and have 7i-DW. The hybrid has a longer shaft than the equivalent iron and feels heavier at the head (plus the shaft is heavier if comparing graphite to graphite). So they swing differently.

• Like 2

That's why I wouldn't mix them.

Callaway Supersoft

48 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

That's why I wouldn't mix them.

It's interesting as I still have G425 6H(30*) and 7H (34*). After one round and range session my initial impression is that I can easily go from Halo 7i to G425 6H. The Halo 5H is a tougher nut to crack, swings different than either the 7i or 6H (or by memory, G425 5H). Will hit the 5H again at the range and compare with my F9 3H but there are a lot of variables. I think I might not be loading the 5H well enough - it is stiff as are the irons and my other hybrids, but it feels pretty stout.

1 hour ago, nostatic said:

They are sorta hybrids but sorta not. I did just get the 5H and have 7i-DW. The hybrid has a longer shaft than the equivalent iron and feels heavier at the head (plus the shaft is heavier if comparing graphite to graphite). So they swing differently.

I recently got the XL Halos 5i to D and was thinking about adding the next long club. So is the consensus here that it would be better to just get the 4i instead of the 4H?

I think it depends on how you gap at that end of the bag. I'm going without a 4i/h club, as I think 3H to 5H ends up being a usable gap. I just didn't see enough difference going from 5 to 4, ymmv.

1 hour ago, nostatic said:

I think it depends on how you gap at that end of the bag. I'm going without a 4i/h club, as I think 3H to 5H ends up being a usable gap. I just didn't see enough difference going from 5 to 4, ymmv.

It all depends. I go from a 4H to a 5i, and the gapping is just fine even though the 4H is 22 degree and the 5i is 23 degree.

Not for me, don't actually want to hit an iron unless it's the sw which is really for chipping. I'm hybrid all

You can't go hybrid all with Cleveland Halo, they only go up to a 27 degree 6H.

Callaway Supersoft

11 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

It all depends. I go from a 4H to a 5i, and the gapping is just fine even though the 4H is 22 degree and the 5i is 23 degree.

You can't go hybrid all with Cleveland Halo, they only go up to a 27 degree 6H.

Yeah, funny how that can work. I had 7i and G425 6H in the bag (both 30*) and they gapped well. No substitute for real-world experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was hitting my hybrids well from the first swing. It took maybe four or five rounds to get used to my Launcher HB  irons, mostly because I was hesitant to give them a full hard swing. Once I did that and I got the distances dialed in I dropped four strokes off my average, which had been going up gradually over the last ten years. I know I'll never get back to the 8 hcp I once was, but at 71 I don't mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Supersoft

• 4 months later...

I ordered my XL Halos with the standard True Temper XP 90 shaft - lightweight (98grams) but no too light. Medium high trajectory with a softer tip profile. Determine what weight you like and what trajectory you are desiring and then pick a shaft that will deliver that. Titleist shaft selector tool is a good resource for this.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through a fitting with the Halos, because I’m at my wit’s end with my iron play. I’ve been really inconsistent with my PXGs from 140 and in. I’m a 12-13 cap but irons shots in that range are what’s holding me back.

I just bought the Rogue st max 3,4, and 5 hybrids and I love them, so I wanted to start this set at the 6 iron.

In order to get the correct gapping behind my 25* 5 hybrid, I needed to go 2* strong in the Halos. That actually made the loft of the halo 24* which is 1* stronger.

The Halos are about a half club shorter than the 0311xp even with the 2* adjustment, but they elevate easier, and I hit them much better in my fitting.

I ordered the 6-DW yesterday, I’m hoping what I saw on the sim translates to the course. I’ll gladly give up a bit of distance for more greens hit.

• Like 4

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

On 8/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, nostatic said:

I would love to try these with a bit heavier graphite shaft. Have always been a fan of rails on hybrids, and currently hybrids in general. I get a lot of spin on my 6H and 7H, imagine that these clubs would perform similarly for a lot less money than a hybrid.

Great set up nostatic.  I also have Ping G425 5 & 7 hybrid with a G410 6 hybrid. After reading a member's ( Obee ) suggestion  not to be shy about  ordering hybrids  with stout shafts. I ordered Ping Tour X shafts in my Ping's, they have been very impressive stable clubs. I wanted to try the 8-pw in the Halo's to try to make a full bag of hybrid's.  I went down to the box store and all they had to try were a set with senior shafts.  With the winter rust and the non stout shafts my experience with the Halo's was very disappointing. They did not have a demo head to try so trying  different shafts was not an option.  After reading very positive reviews on these I was very eager  to order 8-pw to compliment the Pings.  My poor performance with them, and club order wait times, plus limited market for resale of 3 clubs had they not worked out kept the wallet unopened.

A few days later I did find some Callaway Epic Forged (Ebay) at a very reasonable price to dampen my spring urge to buy something.   Somewhat....  These would at  least keep me happy while I wait for a possible factory order. 

Reading this thread again has me thinking of ordering up those 8-pw Halo's just to see for myself how they do on the course.   Looks like u did just that😀

Edited by Stonewalled

The 8-PW aren't where you get the most advantage from the Halo design. They're pretty conventional compared to the 4-7.

• Like 1

Callaway Supersoft

1 hour ago, Billfitz said:

The 8-PW aren't where you get the most advantage from the Halo design. They're pretty conventional compared to the 4-7.

True enough, but I'm very pleased with my Ping G 4--  line  4-7 Hybrids. After watching Matt from TXG hitting  the halo pw vs the T300 pw I was eager to try the halo short irons for myself.  I have numerous iron sets covering all the bases except full on hybrids. Probably be disappointed a sell off another experiment, but one never knows.🤔

I'm a fan of hybrids as well, but I prefer them as distance clubs. I used to use them as scoring clubs as well, because they were easier to hit, although less accurate, than 5 through 8 irons. My Launcher irons give me hybrid ease of hitting with iron accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Supersoft

On 3/23/2022 at 10:03 AM, Billfitz said:

I'm a fan of hybrids as well, but I prefer them as distance clubs. I used to use them as scoring clubs as well, because they were easier to hit, although less accurate, than 5 through 8 irons. My Launcher irons give me hybrid ease of hitting with iron accuracy.

Your last sentence describes exactly  what I'm interested in trying out.  Have you compared the Halo short irons to the HB's?  

Nope. I'm totally happy with the HB's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Supersoft

On 8/28/2021 at 7:19 PM, xkilgorextroutx said:

These threads crack me up with all the comments about them being for seniors, slow swingers, they're not as good as other irons because they're from "second tier" club companies and all that other uninformed drivel.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:50 AM, chouls19 said:

Cleveland are seriously underrated. Tier 1 companies are based on marketing budget not performance 

Cleveland dropped out of iron business for a couple of years around 2015 as SRI Industries subsidiary Dunlop reshuffled its Cleveland - Srixon - XXIO mix. Circa 2012, the Cleveland 588 irons were going head to head with the Callaway XHot and the TM Rocketballz families. Then, Cleveland irons went on hiatus circa 2015 after release of the Black model.

image.png.8e25380d2530ee3ae170f229c58fa614.png

In 2017, Cleveland rebounded with the Launcher CBX and (hybrid) HB-Turbo iron models. Clubfitter at a local shop said the Launchers did well that year in late-winter fittings. Golfers arrived wanting Callaway or TM, and about half ended up walking out the door with one of the Launcher models.

As others have mentioned, hybrid irons have been around for several years; Cleveland's recent offerings are just an industry rebound. Three or four guys in our senior group still win skins playing the older hybrid irons.

Edited by ChipNRun
Spelling.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, Jeremy8810 said:

I’m not gonna lie, all the reviews on these are seriously making me rethink my whole golf philosophy. I’m going in for a full bag fitting soon and was going to look at something like T100/200s or P770/790s for irons.

Now that I’ve seen the launch/spin/carry/etc numbers on these in some of the YT reviews as well as the T300s, I’m asking myself why not make the game as easy/fun as possible.

Mark said something really profound in his review. He said something along the lines of, “Almost all good amateurs can flight an iron shot lower when needed but very few can add launch when needed.” It made me think that if the launch numbers are marginally higher than optimal for me in a fitting, then why not go with them. When I get out on the course, the pressure of the round compounded with the odd lies will necessitate the extra launch generated by SGI irons.

My game is odd. On the good years when I can practice, my driver is scratch/+ in SG, and my short game and putting is in the same category. No matter what though, my approach game is always garbage and the main thing that holds me back. I’m excited to try these out and see what happens.

I feel like I could’ve written this exact same post. You just described my current game perfectly, lol.

I just ordered a set 2* strong, 6-DW. I’m curious, did you ever get these, and if so how did they work out for you?

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

I put my 588 Altitudes back in the Bag after shooting a 90 with my gamer irons. Of course I go out and shoot a +5 77. So it has me wondering about the Halos. Hit a few shots with the 7i. Steel and graphite. 

E301E801-8C92-4312-BD23-BCA0693B07E0.jpeg

2EEC104D-1253-40F8-81A2-017305F2959E.jpeg

B286CAC6-1325-482C-AB97-0B6A8E2DA680.jpeg

CADA5EF2-1CA5-492A-A2E9-5AE3A62ACB3C.jpeg

97001347-0E79-4326-8EA9-99C81A3B49B7.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

On 9/23/2021 at 9:14 PM, nostatic said:

I don't think an intentional mis-hit would be a good plan. I just got the 8i and DW after first trying the 9i then PW. I find that hitting ball first and taking a reasonable divot works fine - these clubs will take some turf if you strike that way.

fwiw I don't find these to be "long" at all. In fact they are shorter (on good strikes) than my ZX7s. The big difference though is that getting off the sweet spot with the XL doesn't really penalize you much. It still goes straight and about as far. So these are much more about consistency than extra length.

Will get them on the course next week and we'll see how I score but I'm betting it'll go in the right direction.

The lack of distance was my big concern, and why I quickly traded a set of Launchers a few years back. I’m hoping newer tech ( two generations) and having the lofts adjusted 2* strong helps a bit with that.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I was concerned about the cool factor of my clubs I still had a full head of hair. The same applies to all the guys in my league. Nobody cares what anyone has for clubs. There's no place to write it down on the scorecard. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Supersoft