2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Indoor Putting Practice Set Up

Newbie15

I have a 9' putting machine and I used that 2 off seasons ago. I didn't have the space last year, I bought a delta putt off Amazon, and a 2nd putter off eBay. I hope to use that set up. The delta putt is only 5 feet, so more space efficient. The other one I used because it's something we bought years ago. 

It's one of those pretty basic go up the ramp, with automatic ball return. If I had space I would rather use that, because I seem to put a good stroke on it more often than not, but I need to work on pace and green reading.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

8 hours ago, Roejye said:

I have a 9' putting machine and I used that 2 off seasons ago. I didn't have the space last year, I bought a delta putt off Amazon, and a 2nd putter off eBay. I hope to use that set up. The delta putt is only 5 feet, so more space efficient. The other one I used because it's something we bought years ago. 

It's one of those pretty basic go up the ramp, with automatic ball return. If I had space I would rather use that, because I seem to put a good stroke on it more often than not, but I need to work on pace and green reading.

I've never used any of these indoor set ups. Is the consensus that they are realistic enough to be worth spending time with? I am new to golf and have never really worked on my putting. This would be part of my winter routine.  I have enough room in my basement for 10' to 15' of simulated putting. But only if it's worth the time.  Thanks

I have a very large basement. When I decided to finish the basement and put wall-to-wall carpeting in, I was thinking green speed. I’ve stimped my carpet at 13-feet, so it’s a little quicker than my home course which generally plays at 10-feet. I have two putting cups at opposite ends of my basement which measures 66-feet in length. I practice from 3-feet all the way back to 60-feet. The longer putts break as much as three cups due to the subtle slant in my concrete floor. I can practice left to right breaks or right to left breaks depending on the direction I am putting. The point is, if you are laying down carpeting, think putting and green speeds! Yes, my basement carpeting is green. 😉

Edited by Moonlightgrm
Typo
  • Like 4

On 8/29/2021 at 5:37 AM, Newbie15 said:

I've never used any of these indoor set ups. Is the consensus that they are realistic enough to be worth spending time with? I am new to golf and have never really worked on my putting. This would be part of my winter routine.  I have enough room in my basement for 10' to 15' of simulated putting. But only if it's worth the time.  Thanks

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer on whether or not it's worth it. I felt like the time I spent was somewhat wasted when I did practice, but then at the beginning of this year I felt like my putting wasn't as good as it could be. I think if I clean up the basement and had more space I would use the 9' device a majority of the time and the delta putt when I wanted to make sure I was putting a good swing on it.

I think @Moonlightgrm had a good idea for the space you have, especially if there isn't a design issue. Make a carpeted area the putting green. You would probably have breaking putts due to concrete settling, and you would hopefully become a master putter when golf season comes around again next year.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

The question you want to ask yourself is what do I want to practice.   people like to get an 8’ mat and roll that putt over and over; great oh made that putt thousands of times but you may never see that same putt on the course.  

green reading:  I have not found a way other than building a platform that allows for changing breaks via something under the mat or being able to change the slant I’d the entire platform via adjustable feet.   Need more space but this would be my goal.

speed control:  you need space to be able to practice rolling the ball specific distances.   Hard to learn to roll a 30’ putt without actually having 30 feet.  The ExPutt simulator is an ideal way for people without space.  The only drawback is you don’t get the visual of that distance.  

startline: yardsticks and gates.  Setup a station with devices that help show if the ball is starting online.   Roll the ball down a yardstick ir through ball gates that help ensure you have less than 1* of face error.   Uses putter gates or something on the putter face to ensure center contact.  People also like the Puttout trainer.  

stroke: visual trainers like the Visio arc mats to help ensure you have a consistent path.  You can also use things like sleeves if balls to help restrict the path from going too far inside or outside.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nosil said:

The question you want to ask yourself is what do I want to practice.   people like to get an 8’ mat and roll that putt over and over; great oh made that putt thousands of times but you may never see that same putt on the course. 

You're practicing your stroke and routine. 

I have two 11' putting matts that I daisy chain together. Plus a 6' yoga matt. That gets me up to a 28' putt and is plenty long to have a slight amount of break since my basement floor isn't 100% level. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

2 hours ago, nosil said:

green reading:  I have not found a way other than building a platform that allows for changing breaks via something under the mat or being able to change the slant I’d the entire platform via adjustable feet.   Need more space but this would be my goal.

speed control:  you need space to be able to practice rolling the ball specific distances.   Hard to learn to roll a 30’ putt without actually having 30 feet.  The ExPutt simulator is an ideal way for people without space.  The only drawback is you don’t get the visual of that distance.  

startline: yardsticks and gates.  Setup a station with devices that help show if the ball is starting online.   Roll the ball down a yardstick ir through ball gates that help ensure you have less than 1* of face error.   Uses putter gates or something on the putter face to ensure center contact.  People also like the Puttout trainer.  

stroke: visual trainers like the Visio arc mats to help ensure you have a consistent path.  You can also use things like sleeves if balls to help restrict the path from going too far inside or outside.   

I’m glad to see that you address the biggest question. “What do you want”

Space, budget are huge factors.

These are the 5 things i depend on

-A wool rug with fairly flat pile. I can putt around to legs of the couch, the dogs tennis ball, Nalgene bottles ( which are 3 1/2 inches slightly smaller than a golf hole)

-pelz truthboard  practice the 4 footer over and over. I can take out the hole reducers, i can put both in or use only one to reduce the size of the hole for slight breakers.  Practice setting the face square, setting my body square, eyes set over the ball in a repeatable location.

-putter ball. Creates focus on a tiny tiny target.  Can be frustrating in the beginning, best in small doses.  Can train you to deliver the center of the putter to the center of the ball

-zen putter. Starting with the ball inside the hole, it helps develop a shorter backswing longer follow thru stroke.   If you backswing too far the ball will “escape” the hole and go backwards.   The down stroke and release help me feel an online stroke.  Feels more like a throw rather than a hit.

-small notebook. Daily writing down what i did, how many times, thoughts for today and goals for tomorrow.  If i know i made that truthboard 4 footer 1000 times +…..then i have confidence  when I’m out playing with a similar shot.

good luck w whatever you come up with.

D39D72AB-ABF1-45CC-9192-F1D25FCC34A9.jpeg

• Like 1

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

2 hours ago, RCGA said:

You're practicing your stroke and routine. 

I have two 11' putting matts that I daisy chain together. Plus a 6' yoga matt. That gets me up to a 28' putt and is plenty long to have a slight amount of break since my basement floor isn't 100% level. 

Agree you are practicing stroke and routine.  The bigger question is does your stroke change on a 5 foot, 20 foot, or 30 foot putt. You could figure out the 5 but maybe not the others.  Hitting 8 foot putts all the time won’t hurt your putting, but I just don’t think it is a comprehensive strategy. 

great that you have that much space,  I only have about 8 feet that I could use for putting.   Everyone has different resources available to them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nosil said:

Agree you are practicing stroke and routine.  The bigger question is does your stroke change on a 5 foot, 20 foot, or 30 foot putt. You could figure out the 5 but maybe not the others.  Hitting 8 foot putts all the time won’t hurt your putting, but I just don’t think it is a comprehensive strategy. 

The alternative - when courses are closed - is to not putt at all. 

Grooving an 8ft putt is way better than nothing 

• Like 1

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

I bought a Pro-Putt Systems Indoor Putting Green and put it in my exercise/bonus room.  My wife hates it but I use it every day and I think it's helped me quite a bit.  I typically will just do set-up work and gate work just to focus on fundamentals and my putting has improved.  However, they are not cheap.  I was limited because my floor is carpeted and most of the putting mats just don't work well on carpet.

• Like 2

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw White  70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

I agree with the guys above, your more just practicing form and routine at home. I mean you can really drop some coin on one of those pro putt systems if you have the space, but nothing can really emulate grain etc of a real putt. Most everything you do at home is simply stroke and routine reps to make sure thats not whats holding you back when you get to the course. 

FWIW I just use a perfect practice mat. You know, the DJ one. 

Edited by mdmack
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Benzo said:

Birdie ball 

Yea, this is what I had in mind. I can probably fit 4' by 20' in the basement workout area.

My goal would be to get a consistent stroke so that I can sink straight shots of a reasonable distance. I can't do that now, so if I could sink the straight and flat putt that would be an improvement.

That Delta thing looks pretty cool too. And the pro-putt system looks like the ultimate - but that's not in the cards.

Thanks for all the feedback.

FWIW, I use a Putt-A-Bout mat that I got off of Amazon and love it. Has two different stimps (8 and 10) depending on the direction you putt. 

I also bought a 8" sono tube that I use to store the mat when not in use. Keeps it clean and damage free. 

• Like 1

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2021 at 11:55 AM, Hokie2k5 said:

I bought a Pro-Putt Systems Indoor Putting Green and put it in my exercise/bonus room.  My wife hates it but I use it every day and I think it's helped me quite a bit.

I bought the 2x11 Pro Putt Systems turf with stance mat.  It's awesome.  Very realistic.  Helped me a bunch.

Putting is:  1) hitting it on the line you want, 2) hitting the correct speed, and 3) reading the green. 

The Pro Putt Systems turf helps me groove my stroke to a great degree of confidence as to #1.  I practice nine foot putts, the first four of which are on a steel "ruler" two inches wide. 

• Like 1

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

My basement is carpeted so I did a DIY in addition to a Skilz putting mat.

Bought 4 2'x4' 3/4" MDF boards from Menard's and layed them end to end.  On top of that, 8 Harbor Freight 2'x2' interlocking floor mats to make a 16' run.  Then on top of that, a 2'x15' rubber backed felt mat from Amazon.  Cut a few holes, bordered with some pipe insulation.  Works decent.  One direction has a faster stimp than the other so I practice both to work on simulating various greens.

20211006_031706340_iOS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stuman74 said:

My basement is carpeted so I did a DIY in addition to a Skilz putting mat.

Bought 4 2'x4' 3/4" MDF boards from Menard's and layed them end to end.  On top of that, 8 Harbor Freight 2'x2' interlocking floor mats to make a 16' run.  Then on top of that, a 2'x15' rubber backed felt mat from Amazon.  Cut a few holes, bordered with some pipe insulation.  Works decent.  One direction has a faster stimp than the other so I practice both to work on simulating various greens.

20211006_031706340_iOS.jpg

After seeing your set up I just ordered one of these off of Amazon. I ordered the 3'x11' one. My work out room floor already has rubber flooring. Did you have to do something to get the mat to lay down flat? Like double sided tape? Thanks

1 hour ago, Newbie15 said:

After seeing your set up I just ordered one of these off of Amazon. I ordered the 3'x11' one. My work out room floor already has rubber flooring. Did you have to do something to get the mat to lay down flat? Like double sided tape? Thanks

I like that 3'x11" offering too.  That will allow you to stand on it unlike mine which is too narrow (that's why I made the little "stand" platforms on each end that I can move as well). 

Because I cut holes into both the green and mat, I did put a few strips of double sided tape around the holes at the ends.  That way also if I need to deconstruct the setup, only two of the 2'x2' foam mats remain when I roll it up.  Or easy to just peel off too.

For my setup also, since the foam mats are on top of MDF boards, I also added some double-side tape at the ends between those surfaces (you won't need to worry about that).

35 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

I like that 3'x11" offering too.  That will allow you to stand on it unlike mine which is too narrow (that's why I made the little "stand" platforms on each end that I can move as well). 

Because I cut holes into both the green and mat, I did put a few strips of double sided tape around the holes at the ends.  That way also if I need to deconstruct the setup, only two of the 2'x2' foam mats remain when I roll it up.  Or easy to just peel off too.

For my setup also, since the foam mats are on top of MDF boards, I also added some double-side tape at the ends between those surfaces (you won't need to worry about that).

I'm looking forward to using it. Winter is coming fast here in Syracuse. I already hit balls into a net in my garage. This will give me the opportunity to putt in the basement.

Those of you who have your putting green elevated off the ground by a few inches - what's the purpose of the elevation? Why not just have it on the floor? Maybe with some foam or padding underneath?

Most build a up in order to create a flat surface.

Titleist....

Those of you who have your putting green elevated off the ground by a few inches - what's the purpose of the elevation? Why not just have it on the floor? Maybe with some foam or padding underneath?

Could be for flat surface,  could be that they want actual holes, or it’d could be that they have a leg system that is used to tilt the platform to create specific break/slope percentages.  

56 minutes ago, Newbie15 said:

I could see the advantage of the holes and building a system that allows you to create slopes.  I dont see the advantage to making the green perfectly flat. I assume that my concrete floor is more flat than any real green, right?

Perfectly flat would be ideal for rolling along your line(s). If you cannot roll the ball straight, or on target, you won't have a chance of draining putts consistently. IMO, "learning" pace, break, grain, all this comes afterwards. The primary use for any indoor putting mat for me is that I don't lose that feel for the weight of the ball and putter, as long as that is entrenched into my muscle memory, I'm confident that I can adjust to any green with a short amount of practice.

YMMV 🙂

• Like 2

Titleist....

Definitely need more basement/garage setup pics in this thread!

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Cobra F9 5W 18.5* Hzrdus Smoke im10

Mizuno JPX921 Fli-Hi 4H 20* Recoil ESX 460

Takomo 101 4-PW KBS Max

Cleveland CBX2 Black Satin 50/54/58

Taylormade TP Collection Patina Soto

My Golf Map

37 minutes ago, CoachCraigie said:

Definitely need more basement/garage setup pics in this thread!

I like the basement/garage pics too. Here's my 2 car garage with my mat and net. The net can be folded away in about 5 minutes but I dont think it's been put away since probably May. But pretty soon my wife will insist on her parking spot back and my attention will turn to snowmobiles.

20201213_155041.jpg