Anybody else not a fan of Paul Azinger as an announcer?

ShowMe

7 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

I agree with this. Finau has played some great golf over the past few years and seems to be very popular yet he rarely got any airtime. Now that he has won again, and this time on the big stage, it looks like we may see more of him. He’s not the only one that for some reason the networks choose not to follow. 

It's the style of coverage that Frank Chirkanian came up with and it has completely taken over television golf. They're trying to create a narrative. They do the background pieces, build up the fake drama, and then select the players to feature to try to tell the story they've laid out in the truck. 

It's most apparent when you see a lot of coverage of one player while the guy he's paired with is blowing up. It's always weird to see ten shots of one guy while his playing partner is only rarely seen in the background like Sasquatch. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 3

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

I got reprimanded for saying Azinger is the Jon Gruden of announcing. Overly positive and too..........sorry dont want to get in trouble. His talking of Cantlay yesterday was like when Gruden would talk about the 2nd string FB and how great he is even though nobody knows who he is and he never appears in the stats yada yada....... 

18 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Anybody else not a fan of the Zinger as an announcer?  I think he's trying too hard to be Johnny Miller, but it's not working for him.  He seems to go out of his way to try and be negative or to try and stir things up.  For example, he kept going on and on today at the BMW Championship about DeChambeau "calling out" Cantlay and how Cantlay took it personally.  Must have mentioned it at least 10 times.  There was no evidence of that.  He asked Cantlay to stop walking.  Big whoop.  Sure, they weren't chit chatting with each other for the 7 hole playoff, but so what.  They weren't chit chatting for the first 18 holes either.

It's getting to the point where I'll have turn off the sound on the tv and listen to the commentary from Sirius XM.  Then again, if I have to hear Earl say one more time that if so and so makes this putt he'll move to 75th in the FedEx point standings, and it's only the first hole of the first round, I might just have to shoot myself.

I think that Sir Nick, who actually has the championship golf bona fides (unlike Zinger), does a much better job, although a lot of that could be because Nantz makes anybody look good.

Sure, he can be hard to listen to at times......but you can't say he doesn't championship golf bona fides.....he won a major and has 10+ other professional wins.

7 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Don't ask me to articulate exactly why he's so bad, but he just is lol

He's bad because he says the same thing over and over.  We heard that Bryson has hit like 17 miles of drives in the course of the tournament in back to back holes, we heard that fellow pros think Bryson is such a great putter in back to back holes, we heard that you have to have mental fortitude to swing hard you can't just do it in back to back holes.  We heard Bryson misses all of his putts to the left except oops for the one they just showed that went to the right.  

Look we all occasionally take golf naps and miss a quip here or there, but are they really so genuinely insightful that we need to hear them over and over?  Could we just say they once and then say something else, maybe put them on a ticker down at the bottom so that if I fall asleep for a bit I could read them at my leisure?  

The 2nd  17th hole playoff when Cantlay's ball was in the air there was no commentary for the whole shot and it was fantastic.  Just watching the ball, I don't need someone else to explain what was going on.  

• Like 2

I didn’t do the math in the standings, but I did hear ….

”that right there is a $400,000 mistake”

”that ob there is a $100,000 mistake 

Miller would have said “snootfull” of Cash, and left it at that. 

the fawning over Bryson was a bit much. Miller often talked about the jacked lofts, comparing them to his own. 
Azinger knows that a BD wedge is not a mere mortal wedge at 49 to 50*. It’s a 6 iron length with a jacked wedge. Who’s to say what the loft is. 

• Like 1

I have always appreciated Azinger's viewpoint, after all, he's rather accomplished at golf, especially compared to everyone on Golfwrx.  Is he a perfect announcer, no, but none of the pro golfers turned announces are perfect at filling TV air gaps with chatter.  The ones I dislike most are professional announcers, like Nantz and Lerner, etc.

With that said, I may not agree with Zingers opinion at times, but I will listen to his view regarding golf.  Besides, disagreeing with someone doesn't necessitate disliking the person.

• Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I think what sets the great ones apart from the lousy ones is research. I don't get the impression that Azinger does much of it. It's more like he has some notes that some intern pulled together for him and then he just wings it. 

Miller could be overbearing for sure, but it never seemed like he wasn't prepared. 

• Like 3

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

he never says anything intelligent. at least Lanny sounds like he has a beer and brisket stuck up and can't stop talking and rarely says anything useful..Paul just isn't cut for the job. There's a coal mine missing a sup

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Bridgestone J15 CB 4 -pw/DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Azinger seems tired, disinterested, unimaginative, and painfully repetitive. Besides that, he's fantastic - and miles better than Faldo.

Driver: Ping G425 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Hzrdus Black 5.5*
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
4 Hybrid: Ping G425 (22 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S
Irons: Mizuno MP -20 (MMC) 6-PW - KBS $ Taper (120)
Vokey (50 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (54 Degree) SM7 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

9 hours ago, me05501 said:

It's the style of coverage that Frank Chirkanian came up with and it has completely taken over television golf. They're trying to create a narrative. They do the background pieces, build up the fake drama, and then select the players to feature to try to tell the story they've laid out in the truck. 

It's most apparent when you see a lot of coverage of one player while the guy he's paired with is blowing up. It's always weird to see ten shots of one guy while his playing partner is only rarely seen in the background like Sasquatch. 

Chirkinian was so enamored with(quite likely good friends with as well) Greg Norman, that they decided to play a trick on him or his sub one week Norman wasn't playing.  Story is in A Good Walk Spoiled, but it was funny to read.

It is horrible, and as someone said, the European Tour broadcasts are so much better.  You maybe see the announcer at the beginning of the broadcast, and that is it.  You hear them, but they keep relatively quiet if there is nothing worth saying. 

Part of why I disliked Woods back in the day.  Seeing him walking more than other guys hit shots was maddening.  Cut to him hitting a shot live every time, no problem.  But show the other players. 

• Like 2

I really liked Azinger as a player but I don't enjoy him as a announcer. 

I know Costis and McCord were on another network but I thought they were much better. I also miss Johnny Miller.

Callaway Mavrik Max Driver
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 wood
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Odyssey OG #7

I wonder if the execs @ NBC are regretting their decision to bring him on.  Was he #1 on their list?  Wonder who turned them down that we got stuck with him.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic 9.0* Tour AD-IZ Xstiff
3 Wood: Titleist 910 Fd 13.5* Diamana Blueboard Stiff
Hybrid: Ping Rapture V2 17*
Irons: Srixon 745 TT DG S300 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist 718 ap2 50* GW
Titleist SM6 54* M grind SW
Titleist SM6 58* M grind LW
Putter: Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9

On 8/29/2021 at 10:44 PM, BNGL said:

Sure and that last part purely subjective he can suck as a commentator but he was a great player. 

Jack Nicklaus was a great player.  Tiger Woods is a great player.  Arnold Palmer was a great player.

Paul Azinger was a very good player.  12 wins and 1 major.  The great players get into the Hall of Fame. 

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

14 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL, so it's "I really had no freaking clue about any of that but I'm still right!"

Carry on.

12 wins.  1 major.  He was a very good player, but not a great one.  The great ones get into the Hall of Fame.

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with his performance as a commentator, does it?  Get a friend to explain it to you.  

Scottie Newport M2

8 hours ago, PappyVanWinkle53 said:

Sure, he can be hard to listen to at times......but you can't say he doesn't championship golf bona fides.....he won a major and has 10+ other professional wins.

I think you have to win at least two majors to be considered to have championship bona fides.  One could be an accident.  Two is proof.

Scottie Newport M2

3 hours ago, Draw Driver said:

Ridiculous take. Zinger is one of the greatest announcers of all time, of all time! Just ask DL3.

Regards, 

Ahmad Rashad 

Lol.  That will be my next thread...on how bad an on-course announcer DL 3 was.  

Scottie Newport M2

3 hours ago, ShowMe said:

I think you have to win at least two majors to be considered to have championship bona fides.  One could be an accident.  Two is proof.

So does that mean Andy North has announcing bona fides? Curtis Strange? Greg Norman? Padraig Harrington? Olin Dutra (RIP)? Crenshaw?

Edited by grm24

9 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Jack Nicklaus was a great player.  Tiger Woods is a great player.  Arnold Palmer was a great player.

Paul Azinger was a very good player.  12 wins and 1 major.  The great players get into the Hall of Fame. 

Dude got *cancer* when he was at the peak of his career.  He was player of the year on tour in 87, had won 4 times in the year leading up to the 93 PGA, including the Tour Championship, and the Memorial, with a tie for 3rd at the US Open in there as well.  All with a shoulder in such pain he couldn't lift his arm above his head, which he later found was cancer.  Did I mention that?  Cancer?  Dude won a tournament and played in a Ryder Cup after cancer treatment.  

I'm no fan of his announcing either, but you really need to quit slagging his playing career. 

Jeez, Tony Lema wasn't a great player in your eyes either based on your criteria.  

So who do you recommend for the job?

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF  80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCI MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)