2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour Championship 2021

MattyO1984

45 minutes ago, slocagolfer said:

I forget which writer (probably more than one) said just make it total score for all three playoffs. That's the winner. Too easy I guess.

Wowser. That sounds deceptively simplistic, but would be immensely better than the current absolutely ridiculous format. 

Running a final tournament with 30 of the best in the world and then giving over half of them virtually no chance of winning? Who thinks up things that idiotic?

WRX may one of the most (if not the most) popular online gathering places of genuine golf fans. The Solheim Cup has 16 pages of comments. The finals of the FedEx Cup has 10. Perhaps the PGA Tour should consider that.

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

52 minutes ago, Rich Douglas said:

Cantlay will get credit for the win, even though three players finished with fewer strokes and two more tied him.

I don't care who FedEx hands a fat check to, and I don't care if Cantlay is considered the "FexEx Cup Champion" or "Tour Champion." But finishing T-4 and 3 strokes back shouldn't get you a tour win, because it is not.

Worse is the guy who who does shoot the best 4 rounds does not get a win.  But then how could they do that when Rahm and Na shot -14???  Messed up format.

Much better when TW got the last tour championship win.

Edited by CasualLie

24 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Wowser. That sounds deceptively simplistic, but would be immensely better than the current absolutely ridiculous format. 

Running a final tournament with 30 of the best in the world and then giving over half of them virtually no chance of winning? Who thinks up things that idiotic?

WRX may one of the most (if not the most) popular online gathering places of genuine golf fans. The Solheim Cup has 16 pages of comments. The finals of the FedEx Cup has 10. Perhaps the PGA Tour should consider that.

I understand your point, but GolfWRX doesn’t move the needle at all for the suits in Jacksonville.

Cantlay beat Dechambeau in 42 holes of match play last week and beat Rahm in 36 holes of match play this week. That’s impressive. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

43 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I understand your point, but GolfWRX doesn’t move the needle at all for the suits in Jacksonville.

True, but it may well reflect larger public sentiment. Will be interesting to see what the final TV numbers are. 

1 hour ago, Go Cougs said:

Bo Jackson avatar, Revenge of the Nerds memes...you're tugging at my 80's heartstrings my man.👏

80s were dope! 

I learn all me English from Arnold and Stallone movies and Run DMC. I be walkin into home-ec class like,

Because the rhymes I say, sharp as a nail
Witty as can be and not for sale
Always funky fresh, could never be stale
Took a test to become an mc and didn't fail

I couldn't wait to demonstrate
All the super def rhymes that I create
I'm a wizard of a word, that's what you heard
And anything else is quite absurd

🤣

Edited by bscinstnct

It's not the perfect solution, but it's the best solution for the mess they created.  Trying to fit 3 tournaments into the season ending event for golf just isn't possible.  Initially it was fair, but nobody understood it.  Now people can clearly see the numbers, but still don't understand why it's done that way.  Just have to make it simple and don't reward players for doing well in the first two tournaments but just having the cutoff.  Best 30 are in the final, even starting score.  They already win money for the first 2 tournaments.  Don't need to reward and justify them by some scoring adjustment.  In no other sport does top seeds get extra points for doing well in the regular season.  

Purse money from 1st two tournaments and having a chance to win the final is enough incentive.  

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I think the only thing that'll get the format to change again will be if someone wins 4 or more times in a season plus multiple majors but loses the Fedex Cup to a player who didn't win a tournament all year up until East Lake. The whole playoff concept is stupid. Get rid of that crap, move the PGA Championship back to August and call it a season. Also the current purse for the Tour Championship is $46 million. If the tour got rid of the stupid UPS Cup Championship, that money could be used to help increase the purse of smaller tournaments like the John Deere Classic or improve some of the PGA Tour developmental tours.

Edited by PHILsThemannnn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just finished watching the recording myself.  If Rahm makes anything on the greens he likely wins.  Seemed like every putt looked like it was in , but just left a tap for par. 

that being said. Cantlay deserves it .  He didn’t make many for birdie. But made several par putts and the one bogey putt late to keep a shot lead.  Guys a strong competitor. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, Golfjack said:

It's not the perfect solution, but it's the best solution for the mess they created.  Trying to fit 3 tournaments into the season ending event for golf just isn't possible.  Initially it was fair, but nobody understood it.  Now people can clearly see the numbers, but still don't understand why it's done that way.  Just have to make it simple and don't reward players for doing well in the first two tournaments but just having the cutoff.  Best 30 are in the final, even starting score.  They already win money for the first 2 tournaments.  Don't need to reward and justify them by some scoring adjustment.  In no other sport does top seeds get extra points for doing well in the regular season.  

Purse money from 1st two tournaments and having a chance to win the final is enough incentive.  

they really should create some type of match play for the finale ... you made it this far based on the first two tournaments, plus the regular season, so we'll have a pod match play system for all the money ... it's only about the money for most of these guys who choose to play the final event, so why not make it a true knockout event ... 

1 hour ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

... The whole playoff concept is stupid. Get rid of that crap, move the PGA Championship back to August and call it a season. Also the current purse for the Tour Championship is $46 million. If the tour got rid of the stupid UPS Cup Championship, that money could be used to help increase the purse of smaller tournaments like the John Deere Classic or improve some of the PGA Tour developmental tours.

Agree wholeheartedly with both points. Except it won't happen. FedEx renewed their contract with the PGA Tour in 2017 - reportedly agreeing to pay the Tour $650 million over the course of the ten year contract (And in addition, agreed to donate a million a year to non-profits the PGA is interested in.) 

The Tour can probably fiddle around the edges with things like the scoring of the playoffs (e.g., the ridiculous handicapping in the final tourney), but the playoffs themselves, culminating in the FedEx Cup, simply are going to happen until at least the end of 2027. Legally, the Tour probably doesn't even have a choice. When you accept that large of a sum of money from FedEx, you don't just cancel the FedEx playoffs, cut the Championship purse and redistribute that money to minor tournaments (sponsored by other companies). FedEx isn't paying that chunk of change out of altruism, or love of the sport.

The problem is, the players themselves may argue the finer details of the PGA Tour and the FedEx Cup, but on the whole they absolutely love what the Tour is doing for their bank accounts. Jack Nicklaus won 73 times on tour, including 18 majors. His total earnings were around $5.7 million - slightly more than Rahm just won for finishing 2nd in this single tournament. 

Love it or hate it, what the tour looks like today probably isn't going to change any time soon ... 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

If golf wants to model themselves after the big 4 pro North American sports, then they should have the few players remaining in the finale start at 0-0. No other sport gives the favorite a touchdown, 3-run, 5-basket, or 2-goal advantage before the game starts!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I definitely like the older system better.  Rahm and Na won it at -14 and should've gone into a playoff for the Tour Championsip. 

Cantaly ok he won the Fedex Cup but he didn't win the Tour Championship.  Whoever thought of this setup needs to be penalized 2 strokes.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

Huge golf fan here! Long weekend away from home playing golf so come last night, I was completely beat. Been there before and still sat and watched the golf until it’s conclusion. Last night, I could barely care less. Sleep won out and whilst I don’t feel any better for it, I definitely don’t feel like I lost out on anything.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

7 hours ago, Yuck said:

Odd situation for POY.  Cantlay has 4 victories, but in two of those, Rahm was further under par.   

I think you can make a strong argument that Cantlay beat Rahm head-to-head when it mattered most, and I'm sure POTY voters will understand that Cantlay perfectly executed his plan for Sunday which was to keep that 1-2 stroke gap between he and Rahm whatever it took. It didn't take a lot of birdies but that's not Cantlay's fault. He played how he needed to play to win the thing. 

However, I think a lot of voters might vote for Rahm for his full-season body of work and as a make-up call over the Memorial. And it's hard to argue against that. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Agree wholeheartedly with both points. Except it won't happen. FedEx renewed their contract with the PGA Tour in 2017 - reportedly agreeing to pay the Tour $650 million over the course of the ten year contract (And in addition, agreed to donate a million a year to non-profits the PGA is interested in.) 

The Tour can probably fiddle around the edges with things like the scoring of the playoffs (e.g., the ridiculous handicapping in the final tourney), but the playoffs themselves, culminating in the FedEx Cup, simply are going to happen until at least the end of 2027. Legally, the Tour probably doesn't even have a choice. When you accept that large of a sum of money from FedEx, you don't just cancel the FedEx playoffs, cut the Championship purse and redistribute that money to minor tournaments (sponsored by other companies). FedEx isn't paying that chunk of change out of altruism, or love of the sport.

The problem is, the players themselves may argue the finer details of the PGA Tour and the FedEx Cup, but on the whole they absolutely love what the Tour is doing for their bank accounts. Jack Nicklaus won 73 times on tour, including 18 majors. His total earnings were around $5.7 million - slightly more than Rahm just won for finishing 2nd in this single tournament. 

Love it or hate it, what the tour looks like today probably isn't going to change any time soon ... 

Well the tour needs to make some improvements to it that's for sure. The old format sucked, but this new one is worse IMO. Cantlay finished t4 for 72 holes scores but won thanks to the -10 start. I'm not sure what the solution is, but all I know is the Tour Championship is getting screwed over because of the format. Also, they should move the tour championship around a bit, I know Coca-Cola is headquartered in Atlanta but jeez East Lake is a horrible course. Play the tournament Atlanta Athletic Club instead.

The whole schedule and format stinks. Look even here in WRX, the pinnacle for golf nerds, and the event can't break 11 pages. All tour playoff threads combined don't even equal 1 major thread... Pathetic lackluster format and overall schedule creates fan apathy. As much as they try and shine this turd into something exciting it's still a turd. Put the PGA Championship back to August. 

11 hours ago, tiderider said:

they really should create some type of match play for the finale ... you made it this far based on the first two tournaments, plus the regular season, so we'll have a pod match play system for all the money ... it's only about the money for most of these guys who choose to play the final event, so why not make it a true knockout event ... 

Match Play is completely IDEAL, except that it presents BIG PROBLEMS for TV and HOST VENUE:

1. TV: No telling if final ($) match excludes the then biggest draw (e.g., Tiger) in favor of 'who is that' (Cantlay).
  2. TV: Match ends very early, what to do with that gap or very early finish.
  3. VENUE: No telling which hole will be the ultimate, but certainly least likely is 18 where all the VIP stands/suites are. So big loss there, too.
  4. VENUE: Let's say biggest draw goes packing early to the lowest draw (Tiger gets beat by Na, for example). No one shows for next match, and same-day ticket sales plummet. 

BTW: Kevin Na for Ryder Cup Hero! Grinder!

The problem started with the FedEx cup. The series of year end tournaments that crowned a champion.  The problem was that the winner of the last tournament, the tour championship, was not necessarily FedEx cup champion.  This confused everyone in that there was no definitive champion more often than not.  So they changed the format so that the tour championship produced a single winner of both.  

There is no easy answer. The suggested solutions don't solve anything.