Is it bad that I need a beer or two per round to calm my nerves?

Been trying pretty hard lately to play better golf and lower the handicap. Went from playing 5 times a year to playing around once per week. I find that I am super anxious on the course, especially on the front nine and I am so much calmer after a beer. Typically since it's summer I usually do a 12 oz light beer. 

Is this bad? Are there better ways to calm the nerves? What works for you? 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Srixon ZX 3 wood 15 degree

Srixon ZX utility 3 and 4 iron with nippon tour 105 shafts

Srixon ZX-7 5-P nippon tour 105 shafts

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

Ping Hoofer Lite Tour bag

Srixon Z Star XV balls

First is figuring out why you're actually becoming anxious. Is it the pace? The quality of your play? Uncertain about yourself and 'fitting in,' with the rest of the people on the course for whatever reason; personality differences, equipments, quality of your play compared to others, etc. Do the 'triggers' correlate off the course with what makes you anxious on the course as well?

Outside of those questions only you can answer, pre-round earbuds and music that puts you in a great mood. Whatever music that makes you a feel chill. You can also listen to the same music on your way to the course. This is a very good non-invasive, awesome suggestion.

Outside of golf time, yoga can play great with lowering emotional swings on the golf course. You can add in meditation, but I know a lot of people find that difficult, so start with some yoga and see where that goes.

• Like 2

Also, maybe cut down on the caffeine intake in the morning before you play.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

Probably not great having to rely on beer.  Also not sure I'd be participating in something that made me anxious, I have enough of that with work and other life crap.   Like the previous poster mentioned, probably the best place to start is to figure out what is causing the anxiousness. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, Break68 said:

Also, maybe cut down on the caffeine intake in the morning before you play.

probably a good tip! I was thinking that a lot of athletes use caffeine before playing sports. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

No reason to be anxious, unless you have unreal expectation, and you're wanting to live up to them, not good.  Drinking any amount to calm nerves is a bad practice.  It's one thing to have a beer with your buddy, another to calm nerves. 

I play with a few guys that drink while playing.  One guy drinks at least a 6-pak, and he's scratch.  He consumes a lot after golf too, but that's another topic.  I never drink while playing any sport or activity.  But always have my flask with single malt in the bag for a sip walking off 18.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I can definitely relate to this, and I've been playing almost weekly my entire life. 

One great piece of advice I always got was that the routine before the round is just as easy as starting the round itself. 

It sounds like we are very similar. I'm always amped up and ready to play (especially if it's a tournament or with folks I'm not familiar with). 

If you can, get there early and do everything SLOWLY. Get out of the car slowly, check in at the pro shop at your own pace, warm up slowly. Move slowly in general. 

Then, make it translate to the course. Until you get into the flow of the round, do your pre-shot routine a little more diligently, walk to and from your ball a little slower. Take some deep breaths. 

You can easily do this without hindering pace of play. 

Now, sometimes we don't have the opportunity to arrive early. I always crack a beer or two before the round to calm myself a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

First is figuring out why you're actually becoming anxious. Is it the pace? The quality of your play? Uncertain about yourself and 'fitting in,' with the rest of the people on the course for whatever reason; personality differences, equipments, quality of your play compared to others, etc. Do the 'triggers' correlate off the course with what makes you anxious on the course as well?

Outside of those questions only you can answer, pre-round earbuds and music that puts you in a great mood. Whatever music that makes you a feel chill. You can also listen to the same music on your way to the course. This is a very good non-invasive, awesome suggestion.

Outside of golf time, yoga can play great with lowering emotional swings on the golf course. You can add in meditation, but I know a lot of people find that difficult, so start with some yoga and see where that goes.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I think it is the quality of my play. Like I said I have been investing a lot more into golf; equipment, time, lessons, rounds... And I am very driven to play better. I feel like putting pressure on myself to do better is going to help me improve but not so sure now that I am saying it out loud. 

I will definitely try music during warm up, never messed with music on the course. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

11 minutes ago, caeye0710 said:

I can definitely relate to this, and I've been playing almost weekly my entire life. 

One great piece of advice I always got was that the routine before the round is just as easy as starting the round itself. 

It sounds like we are very similar. I'm always amped up and ready to play (especially if it's a tournament or with folks I'm not familiar with). 

If you can, get there early and do everything SLOWLY. Get out of the car slowly, check in at the pro shop at your own pace, warm up slowly. Move slowly in general. 

Then, make it translate to the course. Until you get into the flow of the round, do your pre-shot routine a little more diligently, walk to and from your ball a little slower. Take some deep breaths. 

You can easily do this without hindering pace of play. 

Now, sometimes we don't have the opportunity to arrive early. I always crack a beer or two before the round to calm myself a little. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all!

Good advice, I always feel like I am late to my round and rushing around. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

I never get first tee jitters. I can't wait to hit my first shot, and I don't care how many people are watching. Within the last 4 years, I have survived prostate cancer and a heart attack. Nothing that happens on the course is going to rattle me, or make me nervous. Perspective! It's a game. Accept bad shots as part of the game. Everybody hits them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

Dude, whatever allows you to relax and enjoy your round is fine.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  

Whether you drink or not, just remember, Nobody cares...I know that sounds bad but seriously, nobody cares what you shoot.  Once you start to realize that, it'll help you relax more and play better.  No pressure.  

If that doesn't help the mindset, focus on your breathing.  

I realize nobody ELSE cares, but I care. In my head I am capable of a 1 or a 2 handicap. Currently an 11.8 since I started playing a bit more seriously since May. Maybe I need to put a little bit less pressure off myself though. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

Are you really drinking beer to "calm your nerves" or is it that you just like a beer while playing golf?

Unless you rarely drink, a 12 oz light beer isn't going to do anything for your nerves. 'Round here we call that "hydrating". If anything, it's the mental expectation of relaxing that is going to affect your nerves, not the alcohol. That's a routine thing, not an alcohol thing. 

So yeah, if you needed a sixer before the round even started to calm your nerves, I'd say it's a problem and you need to get to the root of your anxiety.

But if you're just cracking a beer or two per round, particularly a light beer, I'd say maybe you just enjoy golfing with a beer. If so, join the club. I usually don't crack a beer until the turn because I book morning (8-9AM) tee times, but I enjoy a beer or two on the back nine just because I like beer.

Sounds like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. It's great to want to get better--I do. But it's a marathon, not a sprint, and there are going to be a lot of bad rounds and bad shots on the journey. No need to stress over it.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Are you really drinking beer to "calm your nerves" or is it that you just like a beer while playing golf?

Unless you rarely drink, a 12 oz light beer isn't going to do anything for your nerves. 'Round here we call that "hydrating". If anything, it's the mental expectation of relaxing that is going to affect your nerves, not the alcohol. That's a routine thing, not an alcohol thing. 

So yeah, if you needed a sixer before the round even started to calm your nerves, I'd say it's a problem and you need to get to the root of your anxiety.

But if you're just cracking a beer or two per round, particularly a light beer, I'd say maybe you just enjoy golfing with a beer. If so, join the club. I usually don't crack a beer until the turn because I book morning (8-9AM) tee times, but I enjoy a beer or two on the back nine just because I like beer.

Sounds like you're putting too much pressure on yourself. It's great to want to get better--I do. But it's a marathon, not a sprint, and there are going to be a lot of bad rounds and bad shots on the journey. No need to stress over it.

I am pretty lightweight of a drinker, but probably some placebo aspect to it. Definitely don't pound beers back during the round, 1-2 is pretty average and I normally don't have time to hang around drinking after the round. 

I think the biggest takeaway from this thread is I am trying to force myself to get better too quickly and I need to slow down and calm it down on the pressure. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

10 minutes ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

In my head I am capable of a 1 or a 2 handicap. Currently an 11.8 

Here is the culprit of your anxiety, a product of Unreal Expectations..

Don't take that the wrong way as I am in no way doubting or bashing your ability.

Being realistic about where you're game is currently @ is key to a good round.. Golf is 70% mental, once you learn to forget about bad shots (they are going to happen) & get out of you're own way the game becomes a lot easier. You get better outside of you're golf rounds by practicing/improving on the areas of your game that need work @ the practice facility/putting green. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

I think the biggest takeaway from this thread is I am trying to force myself to get better too quickly and I need to slow down and calm it down on the pressure. 

I would say so. Long term improvement is a process, just because you are playing more often doesn't mean that improvement process is going to scale in a linear fashion. The difference between a 1-2 and a 10-11 is a lot more than just nerves and reps. I am guessing you are starting to hit some really good shots but still have a mix in of stinky ones. Then mentally you perhaps say to yourself "well if I can hit these good shots, why isn't all the time now that I am playing more often". I don't think playing with a few beers is a bad thing, but I also don't think it's the difference between where you are and where you want to be.

Edited by Krt22

I do pills. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

I would say so. Long term improvement is a process, just because you are playing more often doesn't mean that improvement process is going to scale in a linear fashion. The difference between a 1-2 and a 10-11 is a lot more than just nerves and reps. I am guessing you are starting to hit some really good shots but still have a mix in of stinky ones. Then mentally you perhaps say to yourself "well if I can hit these good shots, why isn't all the time now that I am playing more often". I don't think playing with a few beers is a bad thing, but I also don't think it's the difference between where you are and where you want to be.

"well if I can hit these good shots, why isn't all the time now that I am playing more often"

yes. 

I am sure the beer isn't the difference. But yeah in my head my improvement should be in a linear fashion. I set myself the goal of single digits by the end of the year and I think it is doable but just gotta keep putting the work in at the range. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

37 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

I do pills. 

What kind?

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls

1 minute ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

"well if I can hit these good shots, why isn't all the time now that I am playing more often"

yes. 

I am sure the beer isn't the difference. But yeah in my head my improvement should be in a linear fashion. I set myself the goal of single digits by the end of the year and I think it is doable but just gotta keep putting the work in at the range. 

Are you working with an instructor and working on specific issues at the range? Certain things you can work out via reps and playing a lot...others need more focused help. Grinding at the range can sometimes give a false sense of achievement because in reality you are grooving a compensation vs grooving a repeatable swing. It's easy to groove a compensation from a flat stance, perfect lie, and no pressure. Those compensations can easily break down on the course under pressure, with different lies, with trouble in play, etc.  

18 minutes ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

What kind?

Beta blockers

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I won't be "the guy" that calls you out for being a lightweight.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

3 of our 4some do shots on the 10th tee.  One of my friends supplies the shots.  We'll normally have a good tequila.  I'm normally ahead in the match at that point and my game can then go to hell in a hand basket.  But the bet is only a friendly $2 and the shot is worth more then that.  It's all for fun.

But no, you should not use alcohol to calm your nerves in an athletic event.  Learn to deal with it mentally.   

6 hours ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

I realize nobody ELSE cares, but I care. In my head I am capable of a 1 or a 2 handicap. Currently an 11.8 since I started playing a bit more seriously since May. Maybe I need to put a little bit less pressure off myself though. 

I believe golf is like any other athletic endeavor or hobby, some people are going to be more naturally gifted than others.  That is not to say it's a fools errand to practice more and strive to work towards low single digits but understand it's not in the cards for everyone regardless of how much time, effort, and money they invest.  I think to go from playing around 5 times a year and getting down to 11.8 this year playing once a week is solid progress and way ahead of the curve.  I think you just need to adjust your perspective and set more realistic expectations of yourself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanker84 said:

I'll just leave this here for you viewing pleasure...

That was entertaining 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Srixon Z Star XV balls