2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ballnamic by PIng

arbeck

1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

I wish I had saved the first ball fitting, as it put me in the Srixon Z Star XV and I'm not sure what differences there were.... 

I "fit myself" into the Z Star recently based on the MGS testing, and it's fine, but I'm definitely giving up some ball speed chasing lower spin... I hit some absolute rockets with the Bridgestone, which I think is in part of the aerodynamics (as shown by PING).

I think it's a cool too, I don't think it's worth $40. I think it COULD be worth $40 but needs some tweaks... I think there is some interesting stuff to be done for choosing "an away ball"... I was curious as to what it would recommend for me at altitude. 

If you have any “tries” left, consider leaving the settings in the current optimal configuration except for swing speed, and drop it to 90mph or so. Might be interesting to see whether it picks a low compression ball.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

16 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

So I redid my testing again today... and got fit into the Bridgestone B X... (as have multiple other people I've talked to... especially if you put WORKABILITY down to 0).

It's definitely my favorite ball I've played this season. I don't trust my launch numbers with driver in my monitor, because I hit the ceiling on my follow through. 

It's interesting what the optimizer optimizes for when you pull various levers... it seems to give a lot of preference to how balls do in the wind. 

Fun tool, probably not worth $40 at this point... I think they need to fine tune the inputs and spit out data differently.

Thanks for sharing! Curious what parameter you changed that caused the Srixon XV to fall off as good ball fit? Looked like the first round of testing had the Srixon XV as your top ball, while it didn't show up in the top three during the second round. 

Played the BX all year and find it to be a great ball as well.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, cw1209 said:

Thanks for sharing! Curious what parameter you changed that caused the Srixon XV to fall off as good ball fit? Looked like the first round of testing had the Srixon XV as your top ball, while it didn't show up in the top three during the second round. 

Played the BX all year and find it to be a great ball as well.

Sorry, I missed this… i think the biggest factor was the change In workability… it seems like if you go low on the workability score, you’ll get the Bridgestone B X…

im hoping srixon included a dozen of the xv with my irons… they’ve been delayed 2 months, so I figure I have a shot… I’m curious to try them!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:19 AM, arbeck said:

So Ping has just launched a ball fitting tool. Seems like they have similar data to the other large ball test, but probably more of it. The kicker though is that it can take your delivery numbers (trackman if you have them, distances and swing speed if you don't) and recommend a ball for you. It's not free, but it costs less than a dozen balls from most manufacturers, so it's probably money well spent.

I went ahead and did it, and it turns out I did a pretty good job of fitting myself from the other test numbers. It recommended me the Chromesoft X or the Srixon Z-Star XV. They were a 92.3% and 92.1% match to me. My current ball is the Snell MTB-X, which is "only" a 91.7% match. My ball seems to get knocked a little for it's driver performance into the wind, and it's fligher prevention (I guess they calculate this through spin consistency?). Based on the numbers I can't say it would be worth it to spend more on a Chromesoft X, but maybe if I was going to play in really windy conditions it would be.

So I may be missing something here however I fail to see how anyone can notice a .5% difference in ball performance in any category, let alone the overall. Perhaps the software has a very high starting point like wine points where 85 is cr*p and 95 is excellent. That would need to be the case for such a minute difference. I’ll keep my $$.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, arbeck said:

It will be more interesting if you happen to be an outlier type of player. I'm in the middle of the bell curve. My driver is 5* up AoA, 14* launch, 2500RPM of spin, 140MPH ball speed. With a 7i (31* of loft) I'm 17* launch, 117MPH ball speed, 5* down AoA, and 6000RPM of spin.

I don't need a ball that spins a lot more and I don't need to kill spin either. Because I don't need anything special, fitting myself wasn't really a hard task given the data.

Based on Ping's data, you could use a couple degrees higher launch and ~300 fewer RPMs to optimize driver distance.

https://ping.com/en-us/blogs/proving-grounds/optimal-launch-and-spin

Capture.JPG

On 8/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, larryd3 said:

I just did it and really surprised by the results.  Srixon Z star XV (93.8%), TP5X (93.7%) and Bridgestone Tour BX (90.9%) were by far the best for me. My current prov1x didn't do so good in the comparisons at just 82.9%.   Guess I'm going to buy a couple sleeves of the Z star XV and Tour BX.  I've played the TP5x's before so have an idea on them.  Once again, really surprised.  Now the true test will be how they work on the course.  Figured the cost of doing the test was under 1 dozen balls, so why not give it a try and seems PING doesn't have a dog in the hunt since they aren't a ball manufacturer/seller.    Another thing that surprises me is that on Bridgestone's website they  have the Tour BX has an over 105 ss and mine is not close to that.  Tour BX did well on the mgs test also for medium and slower players.  

I really love Z star XV’s. You can get decent deals on 2020/2019 leftovers on Amazon as well! 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

I am curious the motivation by ping to do this..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

44 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

They don't make a ball, they are an engineering company, they want their players to find the best ball possible for their game, they felt the public should get access to this information as well to better their game. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

They felt that there was a market for it.  They get money as well as contact info and demographic info.  Probably have something kind of package available to fitters as well.  I wouldn't doubt that they get more revenue from fitters (or that that is their ultimate goal) but I have absolutely no information on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

They don't make a ball, they are an engineering company, they want their players to find the best ball possible for their game, they felt the public should get access to this information as well to better their game. 

Hopefully they can start getting their clubs in their players hands too…

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just now, QuigleyDU said:

Hopefully they can start getting their clubs in their players hands too…

Who's contracted by Ping and not using their clubs? 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Who's contracted by Ping and not using their clubs? 

I am speaking about those paying for them. Tour guys are not using ballnamics..

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

9 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I am speaking about those paying for them. Tour guys are not using ballnamics..

It's what Ping uses in their fittings. I'm sure the tour guys use it to some extent. 

Marty Jertson did an interview last week and said it's a tool Ping uses in their fitting and with their tour guys.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 8/30/2021 at 4:47 PM, arbeck said:

It will be more interesting if you happen to be an outlier type of player. I'm in the middle of the bell curve. My driver is 5* up AoA, 14* launch, 2500RPM of spin, 140MPH ball speed. With a 7i (31* of loft) I'm 17* launch, 117MPH ball speed, 5* down AoA, and 6000RPM of spin.

I don't need a ball that spins a lot more and I don't need to kill spin either. Because I don't need anything special, fitting myself wasn't really a hard task given the data.

Interesting.  I get ~117mph ball speed from my 7I at 19* launch and ~5800rmp spin, but I get 155-160mph ball speed off of my driver with 14* launch and ~2400rpm spin.  Granted, I play my 7i @ 34* and it is a solid forging so no face flex, but something seems off if you’re getting a similar ball speed to me off of your 7i and 15-20mph less ball speed off of your driver.  Are you not hitting your driver in the center?  Maybe it’s time to get fit for a driver?

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX

Well I was very curious and I didn't play this week so I figured I would spend the money. I played Srixon Qstar Tour almost all year. A few weeks ago I got the Kirkland V 2. Have not used them. Went to my driving range which has a launch monitor. Plugged in the numbers and the best for me came out Bridgestone BX, Callaway Chromesoft X, and Taylor Made TP 5X with the Snell My Tour Ball Black in 4th. My driver ball speed is 110. Spin was around 2600. And I did specify straight over workable. I usually shoot between 85-92. I found it interesting and did it 4 times and got mostly the same balls with minor tweaking on the questions.

• Like 1

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

On 9/30/2021 at 2:16 AM, bwhitish said:

Well I was very curious and I didn't play this week so I figured I would spend the money. I played Srixon Qstar Tour almost all year. A few weeks ago I got the Kirkland V 2. Have not used them. Went to my driving range which has a launch monitor. Plugged in the numbers and the best for me came out Bridgestone BX, Callaway Chromesoft X, and Taylor Made TP 5X with the Snell My Tour Ball Black in 4th. My driver ball speed is 110. Spin was around 2600. And I did specify straight over workable. I usually shoot between 85-92. I found it interesting and did it 4 times and got mostly the same balls with minor tweaking on the questions.

Seems like if you put straight over workability everyone gets the Bridgestone Tour B X as their #1 ball. Which isn't a bad thing it's a really good ball. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 9/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, MattM97 said:

It's what Ping uses in their fittings. I'm sure the tour guys use it to some extent. 

Marty Jertson did an interview last week and said it's a tool Ping uses in their fitting and with their tour guys.

Did they ever get a guy to switch balls? 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

3 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

Did they ever get a guy to switch balls? 

Would have to ask Marty, really hard for us to tell unless it's from a regular to an X version. But someone could easily go from an older to newer or newer to older model without us knowing or playing a completely different ball than what is the marking on the ball anyways. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 8/31/2021 at 9:07 AM, Abh159 said:

Just out of curiosity is there a free version of this, or did all of you pay $40 to see the results?

Not me. There isn't a ball made that I don't find quite a few of on my course, so I don't have to rely on a program to tell me what works best for me. I hit them. The $40 I saved paid for two dozen balls. 😏

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Would have to ask Marty, really hard for us to tell unless it's from a regular to an X version. But someone could easily go from an older to newer or newer to older model without us knowing or playing a completely different ball than what is the marking on the ball anyways. 

Pros have access to "tour only"/"secret recipe" balls but they are marked differently than retail versions.  I think It's highly unlikely that anyone on tour is playing a ball with markings that don't represent exactly what the ball is.  The ball manufactures don't have any need to specify in their marketing that some of their pros are playing non-retail balls (when Titlesist says what percentage of pros are playing ProV1/ProV1x, they don't go into details on version/year or retail versus tour only) so there is absolutely no reason to do something which would be a clear violation of the rules of golf.  Also, would a player really want to have to wonder if a ball marked like a standard ProV1x is really a left dash under the markings or just have a ball with the left dash on it so they know what they are getting? Only "possible" reason I could think of is a player wanting top play a completely different brand of ball than what they are being paid to play so they basically want a refinished ball with the wrong markings but I don't think it's very likely that that happens either. 

• Like 1

I doubt that tour players mess around with the labeling on the balls, as they may only use balls that have been tested and approved by the USGA-R&A. The list is definitive, as are the markings on the balls that identify them. https://www.usga.org/ConformingGolfBall/gball_list.pdf

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

2 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Had a set of iblades to my door in less than a month  (I was originally told 4 months).  It must depend on what you are ordering.

I blades?? Really… that’s pretty amazing considering they have not been available for almost 2 years..

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

21 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I blades?? Really… that’s pretty amazing considering they have not been available for almost 2 years..

I didn't know they were ever not available.  They should be hitting replacement only status before too long, though.  With the price hikes recently and the i59's costing as much per iron as a fairway wood, I wanted to get another set before they become difficult to get in a not-used status.  They are my favorite Ping irons ever.  The only thing I can figure is the Phoenix factory still had some heads and the DG X100 shafts in supply.  I am not sure if the iblade heads are cast in the USA or not  (I don't think they are).

Edited by Anser3

• 2 months later...

Bought a bunch of maxfli tour x based on the Mai thai golf discount… have some XVs still…

working on speed training and might re-assess mid season when my numbers are settled.

has anyone actually used the results from ballnamic and stuck with what it picked?

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn’t going to pull the trigger until I got a $10 off coupon emailed from ping for this ball fitting. 

I play an original ProV but have been testing: AVX, ProV1x, Tp5, the past 4 months. 

After the fitting, I was almost a 94% ProV1. Second was left dash and chrome soft snuck in there too at third. 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, Myherobobhope said:

Bought a bunch of maxfli tour x based on the Mai thai golf discount… have some XVs still…

working on speed training and might re-assess mid season when my numbers are settled.

has anyone actually used the results from ballnamic and stuck with what it picked?

It gave me Chromesoft X and they have been much more consistent than the Pro V1 I was playing. I still hit bad shots, but that's on me, not the ball.

• Like 2

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

3 hours ago, KhiloD said:

It gave me Chromesoft X and they have been much more consistent than the Pro V1 I was playing. I still hit bad shots, but that's on me, not the ball.

Cool. Glad you like the results! 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58