Annual Golf Trip Suggestions

Hi Everyone, 

I am in charge of booking my groups annual golf trip. We have done Myrtle Beach the past three years and have enjoyed it however we are looking to change things up for the next trip. We are looking to go at the end of April 2022 and I need some destination suggestions, obviously for that time of year weather needs to be considered. Stay and play packages have been popular in the past and the preferred option. Since we like to play 6-7 rounds in a 5 day stretch finding a stay and play package that has at least 3-4 courses on the property is ideal. I wanted to see if anyone has been to or knows of some resorts that I should look into. The size of our group will likely be 12-16 guys all with varying skill levels from single digit handicaps to 30 handicaps. As far as budget goes, I typically try to keep it between $500-$700 before travel expenses, if people can drive they are willing to spend a little more for the golf since they don't have to buy airfare. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Edited by cschade92
More Specifics

You'll need to be muuuuuuuuuch more specific if you want to get decent responses.

1. How many people go on this trip?
  2. Skill level of everyone?
  3. Fly or drive to the destination?
  4. Budget?

Without more info your options are pretty much endless.... Bandon, Whistling Straits, Streamsong, Pinehurst, Big Cedar, Sea Island, Pebble Beach, Sand Valley, any of the RTJ sites, and so on....

Edited by Abh159

20 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

You'll need to be muuuuuuuuuch more specific if you want to get decent responses.

1. How many people go on this trip?
  2. Skill level of everyone?
  3. Fly or drive to the destination?
  4. Budget?

Without more info your options are pretty much endless.... Bandon, Whistling Straits, Streamsong, Pinehurst, Big Cedar, Sea Island, Pebble Beach, Sand Valley, any of the RTJ sites, and so on....

Thank you for the feedback. I have edited my original post. 

Scottsdale at the end of April will be stellar.  Rent a huge VRBO (many have golf centric back yards), and enjoy having both golf and nightlife available close by.  Most cities will have direct flights, and the money you save on accomodations you can put toward some of the higher end courses in peak season.

***Edit  I just saw your updated post.  You will have to stretch that golf budget for nearly any warm weather destination in April for 6 rounds.

Edited by vallygolf
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

Scottsdale at the end of April will be stellar.  Rent a huge VRBO (many have golf centric back yards), and enjoy having both golf and nightlife available close by.  Most cities will have direct flights, and the money you save on accomodations you can put toward some of the higher end courses in peak season.

***Edit  I just saw your updated post.  You will have to stretch that golf budget for nearly any warm weather destination in April for 6 rounds.

The more I research places the more my budget keeps increasing LOL unfortunately the price tag might filter out some of the guys who don't love the game as much. 

2 hours ago, cschade92 said:

As far as budget goes, I typically try to keep it between $500-$700 before travel expenses, if people can drive they are willing to spend a little more for the golf since they don't have to buy airfare. I appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

That's a pretty small budget for any of the main golf resort areas. Most will do replay rates, but normal green fees at those places range anywhere from $150 - $300 per round. 

You might want to start looking at cities/areas that just have a bunch of nice, mid-level public golf courses. Something like a Central Alabama (Multiple RTJ courses in Birmingham and Montgomery + FarmLinks) or Coastal Mississippi (Grand Bear + Preserve + Shell Landing + Fallen Oak) come to mind. Both are very affordable, but they'll require you to do some driving between courses which is something you wouldn't have to do at a Streamsong or Pinehurst style resort. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, charli said:

Ocean city Maryland
outer banks 

at that price range every major resort is out. So your better off getting a nice house airbnb and go to the local golf courses around 

Agree with above.  Most resort trips are 2-3k with at least $1000 for golf and another $1000 for food and lodging (modest).

7 hours ago, cschade92 said:

The more I research places the more my budget keeps increasing LOL unfortunately the price tag might filter out some of the guys who don't love the game as much. 

You should include where you are from and any general location you would 
consider.     If you have a lot of drivers, you want to be in their range. 

As you saw in MB, you can control the cost there with course selection.  
I was also going to suggest Ocean City, MD, if on the Northeast area.  
In Pinehurst you can play the Non-Resort courses.  

As you are seeing, it's a Lot more work for a group leader if you have to pick a 
new destination every trip.    

Back in 2016 I started plotting out me, dad and brother's annual golf trip via a frame with 9 photos at the time for Christmas. It had the name of the destination with the year for our next decade of trips.

2007-Whistling Straits

2008 - La Quinta

2009 - Bandon Dunes

2010 - Pebble Beach

2011 - Pinehurst

2012 - Myrtle Beach

2013 - Hilton Head

2014 - San Francisco

2015 - Los Angeles

2016 - Joliet Park District (where family lives)

In 2014 I started to make the trip exclusively based on charity auctions at major cities. So I get a course and then watch the sites to build an itinerary from there. Have done probably close to 100 charity rounds in the last 12 years or so. Long Island, Boston, LA, SF, Colorado/Neb/Kansas, NJ, Penn., etc.

Great way to keep it fresh as I think there are so many places to go, I wouldn't want to make an annual trip as the exclusion of the other greats.

8 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

You should include where you are from and any general location you would 
consider.     If you have a lot of drivers, you want to be in their range. 

As you saw in MB, you can control the cost there with course selection.  
I was also going to suggest Ocean City, MD, if on the Northeast area.  
In Pinehurst you can play the Non-Resort courses.  

As you are seeing, it's a Lot more work for a group leader if you have to pick a 
new destination every trip.    

The majority of us are from Western PA (Pittsburgh) area. Myrtle Beach as been great for us because of cost control and it lets the guys who don't take the game as serious still come and enjoy the atmosphere because costs are low and you get the most bang for your buck. Unfortunately when dealing with a group this big I have to consider everyone's budget. I am hoping the 2023 trip can get something a little more extravagant. 

7 hours ago, Schley said:

Back in 2016 I started plotting out me, dad and brother's annual golf trip via a frame with 9 photos at the time for Christmas. It had the name of the destination with the year for our next decade of trips.

2007-Whistling Straits

2008 - La Quinta

2009 - Bandon Dunes

2010 - Pebble Beach

2011 - Pinehurst

2012 - Myrtle Beach

2013 - Hilton Head

2014 - San Francisco

2015 - Los Angeles

2016 - Joliet Park District (where family lives)

In 2014 I started to make the trip exclusively based on charity auctions at major cities. So I get a course and then watch the sites to build an itinerary from there. Have done probably close to 100 charity rounds in the last 12 years or so. Long Island, Boston, LA, SF, Colorado/Neb/Kansas, NJ, Penn., etc.

Great way to keep it fresh as I think there are so many places to go, I wouldn't want to make an annual trip as the exclusion of the other greats.

PM Sent!

9 hours ago, Pearlwhites said:

Agree with above.  Most resort trips are 2-3k with at least $1000 for golf and another $1000 for food and lodging (modest).

Yea that's what I have seen at a lot of the major resorts. I should have specified that a lot of the guys wouldn't appreciate the Bandon Dunes, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst trips as much as the others. Until the group gets thinned out or shows interest in spending more my hands are tied with a smaller budget. Even though I would personally love to spend the money to visit the upper echelon resorts, I also enjoy the company and times we have as a group.

21 minutes ago, cschade92 said:

Yea that's what I have seen at a lot of the major resorts. I should have specified that a lot of the guys wouldn't appreciate the Bandon Dunes, Pebble Beach, Pinehurst trips as much as the others. Until the group gets thinned out or shows interest in spending more my hands are tied with a smaller budget. Even though I would personally love to spend the money to visit the upper echelon resorts, I also enjoy the company and times we have as a group.

Perhaps keep the same budget/trip type with the big group, and then find a more passionate subset/foursome out of it to go on the bucket list trip with as a separate occasion. 

33 minutes ago, cschade92 said:

In my experience this isn't going to happen unless you sort of force the issue.

It's hard to make everyone happy on trips with that many people unless everyone is on the same budget level. If you really want to do those upper echelon resorts you'll either have to just have to plan it and say "we're going to Pinehurst this year it will cost $XXXX" and those who don't want to go will back out, or you'll have to do a totally separate trip with the few that would prefer this type of experience. 

It might be worth doing a condensed version of the annual trip close to where you all live (within a few hours drive) to keep the penny pinchers happy, and then have a different trip that the people who take the game seriously can go on (i.e. Bandon, Pinehurst, etc.).

Edited by Abh159

I love golf trips. I love playing fantastic golf courses. If I know there’s a good chance I may never go back it makes me even more excited for the trip/round.  

That being said, I have found that golf, and life, are more about who you are with that what you are doing. Playing the local muni with my best friends is more enjoyable than a bucket list course by myself. 

Nothing wrong with wanting a more expensive trip. Just ask if it’s worth not seeing friends over. If you were near the bottom part of the budget, would it change your thoughts on making the trip more upscale? How would you feel if all of your friends planned a trip they knew you could not afford? 

A lot to think about for sure. It seems like a second trip with a smaller group to a more exclusive destination may work best, if that’s what you want to do. Ive found that a big part of the fun for a large golf trip is seeing the same guys and having stories to tell over the years. If you see all of these guys once a month then that may not be a draw. I’m guessing a handful of these guys you may only see a couple of times a year. 

I know a group of guys that like to go on very low cost golf trips.  They don't care to play high end courses and eat out at nice restaurants.  They play golf....then usually cook meals in, play cards, etc.  They just enjoy the time away as a group similar to what you describe.  A couple of places they like to go are:  Santee, SC; Crossville, TN; and Sevierville, TN.  I think all those places have lodging options for golf groups and you can find stay/play packages.  Although I think there is a bit of driving involved to get all the courses in the packages...not like a stay and play package at Legends or Barefoot in Myrtle Beach.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

Perhaps an out of the box suggestion:

Winston-Salem, NC.

You can drive (6.5 hours + stops)

Good/very good set of public/semi-private courses there according to WRX posters

Should be affordable

Average daily high temp is 74*

And just 90 minutes away from Pinehurst - all or part of the group could play Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and/or Tobacco Road among others.

One Con: not sure of on-site Stay n Play options.

Edited by BirdieRoll

On 8/31/2021 at 12:20 PM, BirdieRoll said:

Perhaps an out of the box suggestion:

Winston-Salem, NC.

You can drive (6.5 hours + stops)

Good/very good set of public/semi-private courses there according to WRX posters

Should be affordable

Average daily high temp is 74*

And just 90 minutes away from Pinehurst - all or part of the group could play Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and/or Tobacco Road among others.

One Con: not sure of on-site Stay n Play options.

🤫😂 This is a great option for a high quantity of quality golf courses for relatively cheap. 

Bryan Park

Tanglewood Championship

Forest Oaks CC

Oak Valley

Salem Glenn

Holly Ridge

Oak Holllow

Could go down to Tot Hill Farm

Many more great options and wouldn't have to pay much if at all more than $50 per round.

Are you tied to that time of the year?  If you move the trip to Sept/Oct over even to the end of May you could work in the upper midwest.  A lot of very nice options throughout Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.  The weather may not be as perfect if you're used to warmer trips, but it will really help with cost and still get you on very nice courses.

I recommend Bertram Realty in Crossville, TN. They've been booking trips like this for 40 years and they know what they're doing, and it's a very affordable destination. 

I think there are seven courses they work with in the Crossville/Fairfield Glade area. They also own a number of two-bedroom golf villas that are located close to each other so your entire group can grill out, throw corn hole or whatever and still get back and forth to their own rooms as needed.

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Personally I think the RTJ Trail is better with a smaller group than a bigger one. You're going to end up driving around quite a bit, likely in several vehicle, when you could all be hanging together in one spot and enjoying more time together. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Personally I think the RTJ Trail is better with a smaller group than a bigger one. You're going to end up driving around quite a bit, likely in several vehicle, when you could all be hanging together in one spot and enjoying more time together. 

If you go to one of the RTJ Trail sites like Capitol Hill with 3 full length courses you wouldn't need to drive around.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"