OK, Let's talk Bryson From First-Hand Experience.

Soloman1

I am sure that even the most evil people in the world can be very nice and engaging when you meet them, and more importantly you are doing things with/for them to make them centre of attention.

My view (doubtless off base and worth not very much) is that his personality uses the 'science  stuff' as a crutch to support any indecision. To me its not 'science' as he is just measuring over and over but doesnt appear to make any new discoveries (yes he hits it miles but its really just the most complete implementation of the golfing machine). Biggest gripe is that he claims to use stats to play each course in the most effective way but it always comes down to the same play- even when it doesnt work. A good scientist changes hypothesis sometimes as they are rarely always correct.

• Like 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I have always liked Bryson for his ability to think outside the box and then implement his ideas no matter what anyone thinks. I for one follow his swing theory, started the "DeChambeau" ( big grips as well ) 2 years ago and have been playing the steadiest golf I have ever played. This swing takes out so many of the variables.

I do however think he is a little "thin-skinned" and just needs to ignore a lot of things. Patrick Reed is a perfect example, dude gets motivated by it.

I also would like to see him do more post round interviews when he plays bad or loses instead of just storming off the course. Not that he is obligated be he always sticks around when he plays well. For the most part both Rory and Jordan do a good job of this.

• Like 1

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Mitsubishi MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Bridgestone BXS / Pro V1

12 hours ago, Roejye said:

Thank you for the story. I guess I'm weird in that I don't really have an opinion on him. I really liked hearing about how polite he was and how he was willing to take input from others. I think it would have been nice of him to send a response after he won the memorial, but his phone could very well have been blowing up after it. 

Lots of time these people also will change numbers every few months.

13 hours ago, foreplease said:

Just now after reading a GolfChannel.com article and something on Golf.com about how they believe Bryson has a "responsibility" to talk to the media, but doesn't, and that the media is "the proxy" for the fans, I am now fully in the Bryson-for-Tour-Championship camp. I would find it so satisfying for him to double-down, be even more 'Bryson' than he's ever been, and bulldoze the field this week..... and then send a big f-u to these media Karens by heading straight home.

Look, Bryson has to have so much stupid pressure on him, and the media now kicking and screaming like a spoiled child when they don't get what they want and throwing countless negative articles his way.... it has to motivate him. And I at least would love to see him triumph... big time...this week and just sit back and laugh. 

Go for it Bryson, screw 'em!

I just saw him do a TV interview with the MEDIA on Friday so I’m not sure why these outlets keep complaining he never gives them sound bites in response to their stupid questions. 

• Like 1

First hand stories... I've met him outside the ropes in a casual setting while he was a Junior at SMU (2015ish). He was pretty affable then but he wasn't card-carrying PGA yet either. I also do not get star struck and our interaction involved absolutely zero BDC-centric questions. Lots of these guys are pretty "normal" when you treat them like regular folks. YMMV.

• Like 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Rogue 125 MSI 60g TX
3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 70x
2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 PX LZ 6.5
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

Yeah good story. Interesting read for sure.

I'm of two minds with respect to BDC. I am glad he has embraced the data and gone after it hard. Frankly, he has changed the way I look at a lot of my own golf game. Between he, Scott Fawcett and Mark Broadie I would say I approach the game 180 degrees differently than I did, say, 10 years ago. While I don't play quite as well (age and neglect) I am improving and regaining form faster because of the above infuencers faster than I otherwise would have.

But I think he can be a bit immature in a way and seems to have a need to be liked. Perhaps some improvement in that will come with age. Also reminds me a bit of Phil in the sense that he needs to be the smartest guy in the room and be different. Obviously all of these thoughts are just my perception.

Totally fascinated by Bryson - great for the sport in that he is very good, exciting to watch, and is so easy to root against. Tugs at these two competing things for me: 

The good. Love his approach to rethinking how high-level golf can be played. Shot-tracker everywhere in practice rounds (rough, wet, slopes, etc), green firmness, distance, etc. etc. Seriously cool stuff. 

The bad. Total intellectual fraud, and he just won’t let up with it. Sure, he apparently took some physics classes, but 1) he never graduated, meaning he would have missed some of the more advanced courses, and 2) his GPA could not have been very good evidenced by the fact that despite earning All-America honors, he never managed to earn the All-America Scholar (which doesn’t honestly have very high GPA requirements). All of which is fine - he’s a golfer not a physicist - but then maybe don’t make it your entire identity. Especially when there are truly brilliant scientists working to build your clubs (people with legit PhDs and training from places like NASA). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ElephantTusk said:

Totally fascinated by Bryson - great for the sport in that he is very good, exciting to watch, and is so easy to root against. Tugs at these two competing things for me: 

The good. Love his approach to rethinking how high-level golf can be played. Shot-tracker everywhere in practice rounds (rough, wet, slopes, etc), green firmness, distance, etc. etc. Seriously cool stuff. 

The bad. Total intellectual fraud, and he just won’t let up with it. Sure, he apparently took some physics classes, but 1) he never graduated, meaning he would have missed some of the more advanced courses, and 2) his GPA could not have been very good evidenced by the fact that despite earning All-America honors, he never managed to earn the All-America Scholar (which doesn’t honestly have very high GPA requirements). All of which is fine - he’s a golfer not a physicist - but then maybe don’t make it your entire identity. Especially when there are truly brilliant scientists working to build your clubs (people with legit PhDs and training from places like NASA). 

How many Division 1 NCAA golfers have STEM majors?  Let alone study physics?  Answer:  not many.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NevinW said:

My old golf course hosts a PGA tournament.  The head pro told me that Bryson treated the staff there better than anyone else for the entire week of the tournament.  Regardless of how he comes off on TV, he clearly knows how to behave when he is around ordinary people.  

This is consistent with everything I've heard.  I met him at an Golfing Machine event a few years back and this kid was nothing but polite and engaging.

• Like 2

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

12 minutes ago, NevinW said:

How many Division 1 NCAA golfers have STEM majors?  Let alone study physics?  Answer:  not many.

Sure, that’s very true. I’m not saying he’s not smart, my point is that it takes an amazing lack of self awareness to brand yourself as “the scientist” when you rely on legit scientists to dial in your equipment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ElephantTusk said:

Sure, that’s very true. I’m not saying he’s not smart, my point is that it takes an amazing lack of self awareness to brand yourself as “the scientist” when you rely on legit scientists to dial in your equipment. 

Scientists from different fields don't collaborate? A scientist in one thing means a scientist in everything? The scientist who analyzed the thickness variance across the face of a club are the same scientists who finalize the aerodynamics of the club head are the same scientists that. What makes a "scientist" anyway? Is it someone who identifies an area to study, does data analysis, tests hypotheses, does further data analysis on new data, more testing, more analysis, comes to a conclusion, shares the conclusion with other scientists for collaboration across multiple fields for further progress? Is that a scientist, or does one need an actual degree to be considered a "Scientist."

Also, like nearly all nicknames, "The Scientist," which I almost never hear him called, like I've heard it once or twice, was given to him, and not of his own making, I'm nearly certain.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frankensteins Monster said:

Scientists from different fields don't collaborate? A scientist in one thing means a scientist in everything? The scientist who analyzed the thickness variance across the face of a club are the same scientists who finalize the aerodynamics of the club head are the same scientists that. What makes a "scientist" anyway? Is it someone who identifies an area to study, does data analysis, tests hypotheses, does further data analysis on new data, more testing, more analysis, comes to a conclusion, shares the conclusion with other scientists for collaboration across multiple fields for further progress? Is that a scientist, or does one need an actual degree to be considered a "Scientist."

Also, like nearly all nicknames, "The Scientist," which I almost never hear him called, like I've heard it once or twice, was given to him, and not of his own making, I'm nearly certain.

Look, fair enough on my use of “scientist” being too broad - totally agree. 

If Eric Clapton had built a brand around being “The Songwriter” don’t you think it’d be reasonable to point out the fact that he didn’t actually write many of his biggest hits?  

My point is this: Bryson is a tremendous talent who is very entertaining to watch. No doubt about that. I’d personally prefer to see him use his educational background to express appreciation and deep interest in the work the engineers are doing, rather than try to convince people he’s the most knowledgeable in the room. Based on his use of buzzwords, it’s more show than substance. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jubilee_links said:

Biggest gripe is that he claims to use stats to play each course in the most effective way but it always comes down to the same play- even when it doesnt work. A good scientist changes hypothesis sometimes as they are rarely always correct.

I see how the British Open might be an example of this but do you have any others?  

He seemed to adapt very well at The Players this year 

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

6 minutes ago, ElephantTusk said:

If Eric Clapton had built a brand around being “The Songwriter” don’t you think it’d be reasonable to point out the fact that he didn’t actually write many of his biggest hits?  

My point is this: Bryson is a tremendous talent who is very entertaining to watch. No doubt about that. I’d personally prefer to see him use his educational background to express appreciation and deep interest in the work the engineers are doing, rather than try to convince people he’s the most knowledgeable in the room. Based on his use of buzzwords, it’s more show than substance. 

Does he use buzzwords for the sake of using buzzwords, probably. It's nothing different than when Tiger would throw out dumb terms like "Traj." Does he think he's the most knowledgeable in the room, maybe sometimes, but I think it's geared more around he knows, or thinks he knows as evident in solomon's original post, what is exactly happening with his equipment and what is happening with the ball. There's a lot to in the lab doesn't always translate into real world results.

3 hours ago, ElephantTusk said:

Another he didn't graduate post...go to his website..states he graduated with his physics degree...also has a place where you can ask him questions..ask him why he would post that because you know it's not true...I'd like to here his answer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

First of all his media boycott started after he bashed Cobra in the press, so it’s hard to blame the media when he kinda started it.

His quest for knowledge or analytics makes perfect sense, does he take if further than most yes, but in a sport where inches and feet can be huge, it makes sense.  

Never having any interaction with him I can’t say if he is a good guy or not, but as I have mentioned in other Bryson threads, there just something that makes me not root for him, a lot he brings on himself.

Soloman1, great write up, and it seems you did help him, but agree he could have responded with a simple thank you, only takes 15 seconds.

Actually, it started after his comments on the Covid vaccine. One of the golf reporters approached him on the range after that, and said to Bryson.."Are we good?" and Bryson replied, "No, we are not good, you guys keep making me look bad." I tried to find the tweet but couldn't. I think it was Ryan Lavner like a month ago.

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

1 hour ago, Shakespeare said:

Another he didn't graduate post...go to his website..states he graduated with his physics degree...also has a place where you can ask him questions..ask him why he would post that because you know it's not true...I'd like to here his answer

Interesting, indeed! 

EDIT: Here is SMU’s archive of graduation ceremonies.  From a quick check on my end, didn’t find his name. Will happily be proven wrong: 

https://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Registrar/AcademicCeremonies/AboutUs/History/ProgramArchives

Edited by ElephantTusk
Fact check.

26 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

His website also compares himself to Einstein and George Washington.....the hubris to do that alone is troubling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

4 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

But he doesn't say he is either...he says he has his degree...to put that next to please donate to my foundation...because I'm a liar..is what really would take hubris

So I am legitimately curious now. I hope he does have his degree, although I admit I’m skeptical. 

FYI, here is SMU graduation programs if anyone can find his name: https://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Registrar/AcademicCeremonies/AboutUs/History/ProgramArchives

12 hours ago, jubilee_links said:

Biggest gripe is that he claims to use stats to play each course in the most effective way but it always comes down to the same play- even when it doesnt work. A good scientist changes hypothesis sometimes as they are rarely always correct.

At a gut level this makes sense, but there are a ton of similarities across most PGA Tour venues so it makes sense that the strategy doesn't vary all that much. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

2 hours ago, ElephantTusk said:

You Sir have gone too far! Slander of Eric Clapton should not be tolerated no matter how slight! 😂

• Like 1

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping G15 17* and 20* hybrids

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E