OK, Let's talk Bryson From First-Hand Experience.

Soloman1

13 minutes ago, ElephantTusk said:

So I am legitimately curious now. I hope he does have his degree, although I admit I’m skeptical. 

FYI, here is SMU graduation programs if anyone can find his name: https://www.smu.edu/EnrollmentServices/Registrar/AcademicCeremonies/AboutUs/History/ProgramArchives

Okay, I was bored, and just searched from 2013 to now through all convocation baccalaureate rolls at SMU. There is not one single mention of Bryson DeChambeau as either a graduate or candidate for a baccaluareate degree in either the arts or sciences. 

Even his wikipedia page says he "studied physics" doesn't say he graduated, etc. 

M

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

Taylor-made P790 4-AW

Callaway MD5 JAWS 54*

Callaway MD5 JAWS 58*

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Vice Pro-Soft balls

"Don't believe all the hearsay. Believe my random anecdote on this message board. I promise i'm super serious."

That is, of course ignoring the fact that someone can be nice and polite in some instances, yet still be a total toolbag overall. See: any lawyer or politician

Edited by One Putter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ElephantTusk said:

Look, fair enough on my use of “scientist” being too broad - totally agree. 

If Eric Clapton had built a brand around being “The Songwriter” don’t you think it’d be reasonable to point out the fact that he didn’t actually write many of his biggest hits?  

My point is this: Bryson is a tremendous talent who is very entertaining to watch. No doubt about that. I’d personally prefer to see him use his educational background to express appreciation and deep interest in the work the engineers are doing, rather than try to convince people he’s the most knowledgeable in the room. Based on his use of buzzwords, it’s more show than substance. 

Clapton has a brand and it has always been "the guitar player"/

clearly - he needs to work on his mental game..... he has been his own worst enemy - for a guy that has done all the work in all the other areas he is mentally weak in comparison 

as an aside - i watched him play at Ridgewood CC during the fedex play off, which i think he won that event, maybe it was 2018, i was watching with my sons - they held their hands out for hi fives from Speith who clearly didn't want to give them a high five and didn't  (and i def don't blame him!) Speith actually lost his ball off the tee on his next shot - it didn't even go out of bounds, just lost in the left rough with no one spotting where he hit it,  anyway Bryson gave hi fives - it was awkward, he def had to think about it but he was clearly playing the game and having fun that day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, physasst said:

Actually, it started after his comments on the Covid vaccine. One of the golf reporters approached him on the range after that, and said to Bryson.."Are we good?" and Bryson replied, "No, we are not good, you guys keep making me look bad." I tried to find the tweet but couldn't. I think it was Ryan Lavner like a month ago.

So “you guys are making me look bad”.  Well Bryson, you said it, they just reported it. Similar to the “Don’t film me while I’m having a temper tantrum In the bunker” situation. Am I wrong it thinking it appears as though he wants to act and say whatever he wants and then have the media  “clean it up” for him??? And when they don’t he blames them? Doing or saying something  and then blaming someone or something else is distorted thinking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NevinW said:

How many Division 1 NCAA golfers have STEM majors?  Let alone study physics?  Answer:  not many.

While that is true, the course work required at SMU to get a physics degree isn't extremely rigorous. To label yourself a scientist with only a handful of upper division classes required is a bit of a stretch.

Edit: My only first hand experience with Bryson is he is a big dude when you see him in person (I'm 6' 200lbs+ so not small). Way bigger than Tiger and Rory. If he did speed training alone without the bulking, I think he would have hit it just as far or very well close to it. He has the frame for it for sure.

Edited by Krt22

2 hours ago, physasst said:

Okay, I was bored, and just searched from 2013 to now through all convocation baccalaureate rolls at SMU. There is not one single mention of Bryson DeChambeau as either a graduate or candidate for a baccaluareate degree in either the arts or sciences. 

Even his wikipedia page says he "studied physics" doesn't say he graduated, etc. 

M

So ..his website does...I would say if I had to guess, his finished his underwater basket weaving class online and chose to get his diploma in the mail...you wouldn't be included in the commencement ...my son did this route ..

48 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Edit: My only first hand experience with Bryson is he is a big dude when you see him in person (I'm 6' 200lbs+ so not small). Way bigger than Tiger and Rory. If he did speed training alone without the bulking, I think he would have hit it just as far or very well close to it. He has the frame for it for sure.

I’m 6’4” 245 lbs and didn’t think Bryson was that big in person. Well not compared to me anyway. Haha.

I tend to agree that he would be as long without the bulking. Watching the BMW, clear that he has slimmed way down from when he was at his biggest, and he is just as long. His current physique looks quite average to me now. 

44 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I’m 6’4” 245 lbs and didn’t think Bryson was that big in person. Well not compared to me anyway. Haha.

I tend to agree that he would be as long without the bulking. Watching the BMW, clear that he has slimmed way down from when he was at his biggest, and he is just as long. His current physique looks quite average to me now. 

Big difference between 6’ and 200 and 6’4 and 245 lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

You Sir have gone too far! Slander of Eric Clapton should not be tolerated no matter how slight! 😂

Clapton is no Jimmy Page, Jimmy Hendrix, or Jeff Beck, that's for sure!  🙂

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

25 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

True, im talking more their frame. Bryson started with a relatively large frame before his "bulk", Rory and Tiger are pretty small framed fellas despite all the talk of their gym work

Agreed.  Rory is a little guy in person, even with the added muscle.  Even Faldo will occasionally comment about how far Rory hits the ball for somebody so "small" (his characterization).  Tiger started with a runner's build and built it up some, but even he never put on as much muscle as Bryson has.

Scottie Newport M2

8 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

I enjoy them all. I once got a noise violation ticket for listening to Hendrix, of course it was roughly 5:15 AM heading to course for a 6 o’clock tee time in my jeep with no top on. “Why do you have it so loud this early in the morning?” “Officer, it’s Jimmy Hendrix.” “Ask Jimmy if he’s going to pay your fine, here you go.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping G15 17* and 20* hybrids

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Redwood Zing

3 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Agreed.  Rory is a little guy in person, even with the added muscle.  Even Faldo will occasionally comment about how far Rory hits the ball for somebody so "small" (his characterization).  Tiger started with a runner's build and built it up some, but even he never put on as much muscle as Bryson has.

I don’t get the “bulk” up.  Lean muscle mass fires faster which creates distance and why Rory and Tiger are so long for the builds. What Bryson is doing seems counterintuitive to me.

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Redwood Zing

11 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

I don’t get the “bulk” up.  Lean muscle mass fires faster which creates distance and why Rory and Tiger are so long for the builds. What Bryson is doing seems counterintuitive to me.

I think you're talking about "fast-twitch fibers."  They help you move faster, but only for short periods of time, like in a golf swing.

Fast-twitch fibers - The phasic muscles responsible for generating movement in the body contain a higher density of fast-twitch fibers. Strength and power training can increase the number of fast-twitch muscle fibers recruited for a specific movement. Fast-twitch fibers are responsible for the size and definition of a particular muscle.

Scottie Newport M2

I was talking about that. Maybe my understanding of the physiology of building muscle mass is outdated but I always equated bulky to powerful but with a loss of some flexibility which in turn wouldn’t help “speed” up the swing.  And even though I’ve been somewhat baffled by what he’s doing I find him fascinating and enjoy watching him play. In theory we would probably all like these players to be like our friends, guys that we’d want to hang out with, in reality I’m not likely to meet any of them and don’t really care about their personality traits. People playing exceptionally good golf is what I ultimately want to see. I don’t think anyone can argue that Bryson isn’t doing exactly that.

Edited by MikeW2
Spelling

Ping G30 10.5* driver

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Redwood Zing

1 hour ago, MikeW2 said:

I was talking about that. Maybe my understanding of the physiology of building muscle mass is outdated but I always equated bulky to powerful but with a loss of some flexibility which in turn wouldn’t help “speed” up the swing.  And even though I’ve been somewhat baffled by what he’s doing I find him fascinating and enjoy watching him play. In theory we would probably all lie these players to be like our friends, guys that we’d want to hang out with, in reality I’m not likely to meet any of them and don’t really care about their personality traits. People playing exceptionally good golf is what I ultimately want to see. I don’t think anyone can argue that Bryson isn’t doing exactly that.

I think you can have both muscle mass and flexibility if you make it a point to retain the flexibility while building the mass.  From the National Academy of Sports Medicine:

If flexibility training is used in conjunction with strength training, then flexibility will not decrease. When you lift weights or perform any type of resistance training it works to activate and shorten the muscle which is being worked. Blood will also rush to the muscle to immediately begin with repairs. Flexibility training, through stretching, will return the muscle to its original length after an exercise session and improve circulation to aid in recovery. Flexibility training has many benefits such as helping to correct and prevent muscle imbalances usually due to lifestyle or an exercise program, helping to increase range of motion in the joints, relieving stress at certain joints, decreasing the chance of injury, and improving posture.

• Like 1

Scottie Newport M2

2 hours ago, ShowMe said:

86A59D1F-F6FE-471F-8E24-353B86A5296B.jpeg

Edited by Christosterone
  • Like 1

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

2 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

Adding bulk (weight) increases the frictional force between Bryson and the ground without the need to load into the ground ala Justin Thomas et al.  Think of it as additional ground reaction force for free as long as he still has the speed and strength to turn.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

jimmy page rules…

interesting sidenote…

jeff beck said the most technical player he ever encountered was slash…I was kinda shocked honestly…

they were set to play a song on illusion II called “locomotive” in europe…

anyhow, matt sorum busted becks eardrum in rehearsal [at the open] so he didn’t take the stage…

anyhow, here’s the rehearsal and, becks right, slash effing slayed in this era..

If Beck is giving respect, that's really something. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

I enjoy them all. I once got a noise violation ticket for listening to Hendrix, of course it was roughly 5:15 AM heading to course for a 6 o’clock tee time in my jeep with no top on. “Why do you have it so loud this early in the morning?” “Officer, it’s Jimmy Hendrix.” “Ask Jimmy if he’s going to pay your fine, here you go.”

Exactly, I’m no music critic much less a guitar analyst. 

Is good for me. Or is not.

This good. Good album too ; )

• Like 1