Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

On 10/6/2021 at 7:22 PM, sfdoddsy said:

I recently bought a cheap set of Gen4 0311Ts from their eBay store. If they work out I'll replace them with the black version. 

Alas, the 0311Ts aren't working out. Still considering a set of 0311Ps at current prices.

• Like 1

TSi2 Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Apex 21/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec/MIM Tour Copper Irons
PXG/CBX FF wedges
PXG One and Done 

Just got my Proto woods today and they are very nice.  Bought them sight unseen with the Hzrdus yellow and black stock options in 6.5. They really make me want to order the Gen 3 irons now. I conned myself into thinking I need 2 sets of clubs, not sure I can con myself into replacing my 919 HMP’s but time will tell. The kicker is I could sell them used and get the PXG’s for a little extra money. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DFDLT said:

Just got my Proto woods today and they are very nice.  Bought them sight unseen with the Hzrdus yellow and black stock options in 6.5. They really make me want to order the Gen 3 irons now. I conned myself into thinking I need 2 sets of clubs, not sure I can con myself into replacing my 919 HMP’s but time will tell. The kicker is I could sell them used and get the PXG’s for a little extra money. 

It looks like the Protos have a shallower face than the Gen 4 fairways, correct?

18 hours ago, qtlaw said:

First I got the Gen 4 driver because of the insane August pricing; 

found it so consistent, with me staring at my 4W like it was a disobedient son I pulled the trigger on the PXG Gen4 3W and its given me the confidence to go for the Par 5s rather than laying up; 

Finally, since those 2 clubs were so sweet, I just received my first new set of irons in about 20 yrs (Mizuno MX23s, buttery), the Gen 3 0311Ps and they look and feel sweet!

So Bob's insane pricing did the trick on me, I got a new set for the first time ever.

I have the Gen 3 P irons and wedges in my cart. Could sell Mizuno 919 HMP to offset much of the cost and have an almost PXG bag as an extra set. G410 and I210 in my other bag. Just blown a lot of cash lately and haven’t talked myself into it just yet. 

18 minutes ago, DFDLT said:

I have the Gen 3 P irons and wedges in my cart. Could sell Mizuno 919 HMP to offset much of the cost and have an almost PXG bag as an extra set. G410 and I210 in my other bag. Just blown a lot of cash lately and haven’t talked myself into it just yet. 

Admire your patience 

• Thanks 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

This thread and all the replies makes me think the thread title is wrong. Nope, not going out of business. #PXGTroops

• Like 1

TM Sim2 Max 10.5 Diamana ZF 60S
TM Sim Max 15* Tensei Blue 65S

TM M2 19* Hybrid Fuji Pro S
PXG 0311 Gen3 P 4-GW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 54* Elevate Tour S 
TM MG3 60* HB DG S200

Seemore Nashville Series mFGP

Titleist ProV1

This sale got me into pxg, so I concur it’s to grab market share. I was unhappy with forgiveness and distance loss on thinned shots with my mizuno jpx919 tours. My jpx irons the month before switching were great, but I was missing a lot of greens due to distance control issues. Shots a groove or two thin seemed to go nowhere, and my coach, who wins quite a few regional club pro tournaments, said he had same issue when hitting them. PXG had a demo day at the club, and I figured I’d check them out. Picked up the gen 4 0311p, and my iron play is better than ever.  Now, that’s almost never an issue. I’ve had maybe 2 head scratchers in the last 4 rounds, both with long irons that were in dicey lies.

Also, I find they penetrate through wind SO well, while somehow holding greens. Prior round I hit my 7 iron at a flag 168, against a headwind that on the mizunos would cause me to hit a cut down 5, or a real aggressive 6. People are known to regularly hit 1-2 clubs extra on this hole. For me, I only lost 5 yards vs a stock 175. Landing, it stopped and pulled back 2 feet to give me a 7 foot birdie look (made it for lone birdie for the 9)

Only thing I’ve noticed is that double crosses are dangerous. Same hole next round, I tried to hit a push draw due to wind conditions, and instead it started off with a slight pull (<3 yards) and drew another 3-5 yards. It went long past the green, about a 185 carry.  These don’t spin a ton, so it seems if shots are low draws, but struck well, long misses are going to come into play. On the demo day, I had 2 double crosses with the 7 iron carry an extra 20 yards over average due to them spinning so little.

Edited by bigdatajoel
  • Like 1

I feel like it is a poor business model as they tried to act like they were the Ferrari of golf clubs by trying to create prestige and charge a premium for it.  Now that it is known that their clubs are no better than anyone else's they allow their clubs to be deeply discounted, which to me says that their clubs where never worth what they were charging in the first place.  You will never seen a new Ferrari deeply discounted from the dealer. They don't need to grab market share if they are selling clubs at such a premium.  If you are charging double or triple what other companies do, then you only need to sell 1/3 or 1/2 of what the others do because the productions costs are going to be in the same range as everyone else. 

I think the better way to go would have been to keep PXG premium and then create a "more retail" friendly line similar to Tour Edge and Tour Edge Exotics.  They could have then pushed out older models under a different name and sold them for less as that R&D is already done.  The customer then thinks they are winning and the company is still making good profit.  The people who ponied up the money for "premium" PXG can still feel like they have have clubs that others can't afford while those that buy the lower priced version feel like they are stealing them and both consumers are satisfied. If people slaughter companies for putting out too many clubs because it "kills their club's resale value" then how do you think they will react when the clubs that they were paying $500 apiece for are now $100.  Those customers that were paying such a premium will now likely look elsewhere on their next purchase.   Just my two cents R to L. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, denkea said:

Not exactly the way to build customer loyalty.  I can't imagine how it would feel to pay the premium price for a set of irons only to have them discounted a few weeks later.  

Geesh, love how this topic never dies...if you're going to get your feelings hurt buying PXG equipment because of his pricing model, then maybe you just need to stay away...They don't care about resale value nor should they...At first, pricing was to recoup start up costs...Now they're for fools willing to pay premium pricing for the newest toy when it first comes out...I've been and probably will be one of the fools and I don't care one bit when he lowers it because I'm happy with the product(s) I received as they have performed well for me...The Ping loyalist are the one who should feel offended...No justification for what they're doing with the i59 pricing and everything else going forward...

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 7:21 AM, jeffrey r said:

I still love the fact that a thread that has become more about PXG thriving, is titled "Is PXG going of business"...lol.    

This might be the most popular topic I ever created. Who knew? It was actually a serious question.

PS: For what it is worth. I bought a 0811x+ proto driver. I hit 4 shots with it on the range, and off to eBay she went. Wasn't nearly as long or as forgiving as my SIM (original not 2).

• Like 1

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

PXG is selling for less now since they are DTC sales!

KABOOM BABY...

Advanced technology and innovation companies like Apple, Tesla, and PXG prefer selling their products directly to the consumer. PXG does this to deliver the best value and experience to our customers.

Selling direct avoids the 30 – 40% our competitors pay the Big golf club resellers. This lets us offer outstanding golf clubs at prices that would otherwise be much more expensive. Selling direct allows us to invest more in your game and every golf club we develop, ensuring that the sticks you carry have earned the PXG name.

WE ARE OBSESSED WITH MAKING THE WORLD’S FINEST, BEST PERFORMING GOLF EQUIPMENT.

We believe PXG golf clubs are among the finest made by any company. We also believe no other company’s golf clubs cost more to make than ours.

PXG GOLF EQUIPMENT FEATURES:

• MEETS OR EXCEEDS PXG'S RIGID TOLERANCES AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
  • PATENTED AND INNOVATIVE HIGH-PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGIES
  • THE VERY BEST MATERIALS
  • A COMPLICATED AND EXPENSIVE MANUFACTURING PROCESS ONLY WE WOULD USE
  • METICULOUS WORKMANSHIP

Most golfers, when hitting PXG for the first time, are simply stunned by the amazing performance, incredible forgiveness, and soft feel of our clubs. So, why not call 1.844.PLAY.PXG today and find out how you can get your PXG golf clubs!

Edited by BirdieBob

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

12 minutes ago, golfnhack said:

This might be the most popular topic I ever created. Who knew? It was actually a serious question.

PS: For what it is worth. I bought a 0811x+ proto driver. I hit 4 shots with it on the range, and off to eBay she went. Wasn't nearly as long or as forgiving as my SIM (original not 2).

Attaboy, great sample...Glad you got out before they dropped the price and your feelings potentially get hurt...

48 minutes ago, golfnhack said:

I had the same experience with the 0811x proto, I couldn't make it go no matter what.  Now the 0211, I really like that driver and once prices on that drop again I'll be snagging another. I considered just going with the GEN4 but for the price difference I don't really need the adjustability that much. 

54 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

Attaboy, great sample...Glad you got out before they dropped the price and your feelings potentially get hurt...

Sarcasm is clearly not your strength. Probably best to stick to golf... but those skills are probably worse

(PS:  see.... that is how it is done)

Edited by golfnhack

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

3 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

I had the same experience with the 0811x proto, I couldn't make it go no matter what.  Now the 0211, I really like that driver and once prices on that drop again I'll be snagging another. I considered just going with the GEN4 but for the price difference I don't really need the adjustability that much. 

Kind of hard to bet the original SIM MAX, that is just a long and forgiving driver.  I've put it back in the bag recently and as much as I like my PXG sticks, they don't make a driver longer then the SIM in my hands.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jungleland said:

Kind of hard to bet the original SIM MAX, that is just a long and forgiving driver.  I've put it back in the bag recently and as much as I like my PXG sticks, they don't make a driver longer then the SIM in my hands.

it took me a minute to adjust to the 0211 9 degree vs my SIM2 Max 10.5.  I like the 0211 (and got it when it was $199) but it just doesn't feel as good as the SIM2 Max (which i sold, being a dumbass that i am) so i play my mini C300 more often off the tee.

• Like 1

I was TW before Tiger was...

I really like the price drops - it went from being crazy expensive to more affordable than any other big brand. At least in Canada - it's like 30% cheaper than Callaway/TM/Ping right now.

I just order some 0211 hybrids and am pretty pumped about the deal I got for a custom built club with fast shipping. The next best hybrid I could find here for the same price was the Wilson D9. 🤯

Funnily enough I got banned from the Facebook PXG Fan Group for posting about how happy I was about the price and how much of a bargain it was compared to other brands. :classic_huh:

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

This is what they have. The 0311 line is their premium line and the 0211 is the retail friendly line

But they have discounted the price of all their clubs and blurred the lines between the two. Why would I buy the "cheap" driver when I can get the "expensive" one for $100 more and even it doesn't out perform anything that any of the other OEMs put out.  They tried to act as if their clubs were super premium and that being said you can't then slash the price of your "premium" clubs or you are basically admitting that you were just all talk and your clubs don't back that up.  You will never see Pro V1's discounted though we all know that the ball is mostly unchanged beyond minor tweaks that will then be marketed as ground breaking.  PXG talked that talk and they should have stayed up in that upper price stratosphere with $700 dollar drivers and such to create a bigger difference between the "premium" line and the "bargain" ones in my opinion. 

Edited by Righty to Lefty

4 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

But they have discounted the price of all their clubs and blurred the lines between the two. Why would I buy the "cheap" driver when I can get the "expensive" one for $100 more and even it doesn't out perform anything that any of the other OEMs put out.  They tried to act as if their clubs were super premium and that being said you can't then slash the price of your "premium" clubs or you are basically admitting that you were just all talk and your clubs don't back that up.  You will never see Pro V1's discounted though we all know that the ball is mostly unchanged beyond minor tweaks that will then be marketed as ground breaking.  PXG talked that talk and they should have stayed up in that upper price stratosphere with $700 dollar drivers and such to create a bigger difference between the "premium" line and the "bargain" ones in my opinion. 

I can tell you haven’t listened to Parsons talk about the company or read other comments in this thread or others about why they can discount prices.

The initial price range was to recoup costs for what it took to get the business up and running to include everything needed to actually make the clubs. He said himself for the gen2 driver that he lowered the price at release because they recouped all the money and he was giving back to the consumer. They switched to a dtc brand with gen3 and now control distribution and can lower the costs. They also carry a lot more stock than other brands and they Are carrying older models that allows them to sell those at lower prices than the original offering.

Its a smart business decision. They got companies to raise their prices then they drop theirs a bit. They come out with the 0211 and charge less than everyone else. With the lack of golf club inventory that most brands are experiencing pxg isn’t other than with shafts. They’ve been shipping clubs out within a week for most heads while others are backorder for 3+ months

• Like 3