2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Monahan Threatening to Crack down on Fan Behavior

vandyfan

25 minutes ago, BigManSlim said:

The "muh freedoms" crowd is mad about this because they like picking on this specific player not because of some rights they feel are being breached. If Brooks (or whomever) were pciking on, say, Rory (or name any other popular player), people would not be so outraged that they are screaming like morons under the threat of being tossed.

It's also so childish

I m not so sure that the “ muh freedoms “ and “ bro 😎 brah “ crowd are one in the same.  Little bit of mixing genres.  Can’t be both illiterate hillbilly’s and collar popped preppy Bros yelling. Can it ?   Just saying you have to get the tribes straight when signaling for principled wholesomeness. 😅

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, TiScape said:

Ok, so this is just a total guess. But I envision it going something like this. Bryson has been upset about the Brooksie stuff for a while now. Be willing to bet he’s been in touch with the commissioner/his office more than a few times regarding it. There were a few instances at the BMW, the playoff was a total back and forth grind. Bryson ends up losing and he is pissed! Was probably on the phone to the commish within minutes… BOOM, this is announced 2 days later… 🤔 Plausible? Am I totally off base here??

I don't think you are that far off base, if at all.  What amazes me are the parallels to Happy Gilmore! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I can understand cracking down on vile, profane insults hurled at players, but calling BAD "Brooksie" is pretty harmless.  I'll stop attending tour events out of principle.

Judging by Bryson's action Sunday after losing in a grueling playoff, I would say its gone far past harmless. 

Its about time this happened. There are far too many idiots who feel like they are entitled to chirp, heckle, or talk to the players simply because they bought a ticket. Add in the alcohol, and you're just asking for someone to get their a** kicked one day. 

There is no line to be drawn. Crack down on all of it, or let it continue. The TOUR took the hardline, and I think its a great decision. 

• Like 1

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

54 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I can understand cracking down on vile, profane insults hurled at players, but calling BAD "Brooksie" is pretty harmless. 

Agree 100%. And Bryson could have ended this on day 1 by showing no reaction or making a joke about it. But he couldn't do that. Because he's an a**.

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Thank you. People think the purses are ticket sales driven too. Nope. All sponsorship money.  And the sponsors aren’t Busch or Sam Adam’s.  It’s not nascar.  So no reason to expect that attendance going down effects TV sponsors.  I don’t for one believe that attendance would go down.  I think it’s a fallacy that alcohol is a must for attendance. And I’d it is in fact true. What a sad sad thing that is. 

We would like to think society has progressed enough, but no, in some cases it has not at all.  Sad, but true.

Don't be fooled by the charity of PGA Tour and all their marketing.  Tournament Directors do everything possible to hide the financial details until they absolutely have to share; which is at least 18 months after an event.  They learned this from PGA Tour.  

You can check out PGA Tour's 990.  I would be surprised if 2019 is available, but PGA Tour brings in ~ $200M in tournament management fees.  How is that paid for?! 

Yes, one can try to say the tour does not make money on beer sales.  However, each tournament is run as it's own "non-profit" and while it is hard to find an individual tournament's tax filing, you can be sure there is an expense for PGA Tour Management.  That's getting paid before any other charity (in part from beer sales, and everything else sold).

People act like the PGA Tour is sooooo charitable with all the big numbers they throw around.  PGA tour brings in well over $1B in revenue, spends $150M on their staff and executives, and $50M on charity.  Their most successful tournament in Phoenix brings in $50M in revenue and $8M goes to charity.  What kind of return is that?!?!  It costs $5M to build the 16th hole up each year (and other bleachers).  Regardless, that is beer money, so no one is ready to tell the charities sorry....sad, but true.

You can be sure, if there was zero impact to the local charities and the tour still gets their fee, then why not kill alcohol sales?  Why go through the related hassle?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL52188 said:

Can't the PGA Tour do it like The Masters? No one has a problem at Augusta National with fans. 

Part of the issue was giving in and allowing cell phones and all that goes with them at tournaments. That’s one of many things the Masters gets right, and ….. too late for the Tour to backtrack on that. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I agree. Let’s ban alcohol sales and remove the excuse.  

That sounds like a blast...let's stand around all day and watch guys take 10 minutes between shots.  You almost need to drink to enjoy yourself at these watching-paint-dry Tour events.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

That sounds like a blast...let's stand around all day and watch guys take 10 minutes between shots.  You almost need to drink to enjoy yourself at these watching-paint-dry Tour events.

Then why go ?  It ruins  it for those of us who actually enjoy golf.  The sport.  All of it.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

https://www.golfwrx.com/659845/players-react-to-tours-clamp-down-on-brooksy-shouts/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Love these reactions from other pros.  Casual racism against Asians is OK but now the white guys are getting mad so we better do something about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

I can understand cracking down on vile, profane insults hurled at players, but calling BAD "Brooksie" is pretty harmless.  I'll stop attending tour events out of principle.

I think that is a vile , profane insult. Brooksie is the Bro tribes leader.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, iutodd said:

https://www.golfwrx.com/659845/players-react-to-tours-clamp-down-on-brooksy-shouts/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Love these reactions from other pros.  Casual racism against Asians is OK but now the white guys are getting mad so we better do something about it.

Well. It was a nice thread.   Wave to the shark as we pass over.  👋

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Well. It was a nice thread.   Wave to the shark as we pass over.  👋

@iutoddTheir selective memory is kind of amusing. Poulter for one has had several people removed, and at least 2 fired from their jobs. The nicknames used for Clark and Oosty are just that... Pretty common, maybe too chummy but not disrespectful or heckling. As typical of Twitter their tweets make them sound foolish and somewhat hypocritical. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish those that think they're entitled to harass / say whatever they please would just stay home.

I don't see an issue holding anyone to a standard of respect.

As far as I'm concerned this type of behavior should have been addressed long ago.  I applaud Monahan for taking action. Only issue I have is having waited so long to do it.

I am sick and tired of listening to Bozo's yelling at the tournaments. It's certainly not what I tune in to hear.

Flame away, you'll only prove my point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

That's a point I've brought up many times as well.  Some here will say, "well the golfers need to toughen up like other sports."  To that I respond, golf is highly unique in that it allows fans unpresented and close access to the field of play, often putting fans and golfers within arms reach of each other.  Because that is PRIVILEGE there is a RESPONSIBILITY for the fan to act in a dignified and respectful manner.

This has been spinning out of control for a couple of decades. It reached a new pinnacle this year when the animals left their homes.  The ante was upped again with the nonsense between Brooks and Bryson.   Then upped again with Brooks encouraging fans to heckle Bryson and win beer.  WTF!!!  This problem needs to be cut off before a golfer is assaulted.  Then of course the response will be an overreaction and we will not only have ropes, but fences, set far back separating the gallery from golfers.  Not good for the sport or anyone for that matter. 

Great points. In regard to golf being unique in respect to the proximity between fan and player. I present the NBA. Fans are literally sitting in chairs on the court, a foot or two from in bounds and there are zero barrier/ropes. Heck, I had floor seats once and was literally sitting in the chair directly next to Draymond Green.  Outside of “The malice at the Palace” I don’t recall any physical alterations. But yes, plenty of heckling. And I do completely get your point that golf is a whole different animal with completely different rules and expectations. Your proximity to players comment just got me thinking is all. I don’t think anyone here wants a golf event to turn into a basketball, baseball or hockey game. 

Violence at PGA events happen sometimes. I was at one many years ago, late 1990's, Firestone in Akron, with my GF at the time. Drunk ***** falls into her and spills his beer on her. Which was bad enough, then he had to get mouthy and call her a "F'n B****". Well, that led to some words between him and I. I was fighting and training MMA at that time, and gotten out of the military 2 years earlier after serving as a Corpsman with Marine Recon. He took a swing and got to take a little nap courteous of a rear naked choke. Security came running up and grabbed me at first but several witnesses explained what happened. Always wondered what happened to that dude.....

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

11 minutes ago, physasst said:

Violence at PGA events happen sometimes. I was at one many years ago, late 1990's, Firestone in Akron, with my GF at the time. Drunk ***** falls into her and spills his beer on her. Which was bad enough, then he had to get mouthy and call her a "F'n B****". Well, that led to some words between him and I. I was fighting and training MMA at that time, and gotten out of the military 2 years earlier after serving as a Corpsman with Marine Recon. He took a swing and got to take a little nap courteous of a rear naked choke. Security came running up and grabbed me at first but several witnesses explained what happened. Always wondered what happened to that dude.....

spacer.png

Edited by bubbagump
  • Haha 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

10 minutes ago, physasst said:

Good work!

You could be a team lead in my 4x4 team, golf course security venture.

I calllin it,

Quiet Please LLC

🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 2