2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Should players have the power to have spectators removed from the course?

AndersUK

1 hour ago, Barfolomew said:

Rare

Sure it’s rare-ish.   But like I just posted google fan banned and see the number of hits you’ll get. It would be rare in golf as well.  But eventually the drunk idiot crowd might learn.  But then again some would view it as a drunken badge of honor to get booted.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

16 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I have a little suggestion for you…..

Google “fan banned” (just the words not the quotation marks) and see how many are banned-for life-from NBA arenas and football stadiums etc.

For spitting on someone? Yes. Racial slurs? Of course. For calling them a non offensive nickname of a rival? None. Zero. Zip.

Any other ideas? Great job Brooksie. 🤣

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

7 hours ago, lefthack said:

I would like to point out that no other sport does this. Drunk idiots are a part of sports, it's just how it is. At least there aren't any fist fights at events, yet...

Haven’t you been reading all the posts. Golf is apparently above all that and should have it’s own special set of rules (Don’t shoot the messenger) But golf has “playoffs” now, a 40 million bonus for players that “move the needle” etc. Seems to me they are trying to be more like other sports. (Assuming for the 💰 g, ya think! Haha) Like you said, those other sports all have the drunk idiots screaming at the players. Does the tour want to ‘have its cake and eat it too?’ Kinda just thinking out loud here. Don’t jump down my throat too hard WRX’ers. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, lefthack said:

For spitting on someone? Yes. Racial slurs? Of course. For calling them a non offensive nickname of a rival? None. Zero. Zip.

Any other ideas? Great job Brooksie. 🤣

See what happens when you don’t read suggestions? One for throwing popcorn and another for running out and slapping the backboard are among the examples.

But you wish it would just be the lowest common denominator?  Why not set an example so that fans of all sports can behave in a civilized manner?

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2021/07/16/fan-ban-facial-recognition-daily-cover

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/us/nba-playoffs-fan-behavior-trnd-spt/index.html

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Haven’t you been reading all the posts. Golf is apparently above all that and should have it’s own special set of rules (Don’t shoot the messenger) But golf has “playoffs” now, a 40 million bonus for players that “move the needle” etc. Seems to me they are trying to be more like other sports. (Assuming for the 💰 g, ya think! Haha) Like you said, those other sports all have the drunk idiots screaming at the players. Does the tour want to ‘have its cake and eat it too?’ Kinda just thinking out loud here. Don’t jump down my throat too hard WRX’ers. 

So now that there is playoff money involved it’s okay? 

Wow…..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Absolutely.

Here is Phil having a guy booted for calling him Figjam 🤣

The players are busy trying to play golf. They are only going to boot guys who really heckle them are interfering with doing their job. All the fans want these idiots gone as well.

The course is going to crack down as well but a player should definitely be able to have anybody tossed. 

Did the guy call him FIGJAM during his swing? If not, you’re telling me Phil can’t be expected to handle a guy saying FIGJAM to him?! Paleeeeez, the guy makes millions of dollars a year playing a game 99.9% of the population has to pay to play. Let it go in one ear and out the other and realize you are above letting that petty nonsense get to you. 

3 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

So now that there is playoff money involved it’s okay? 

Wow…..

Like I said. Just thinking out loud. They can’t have it both ways. IDK, maybe they can 🤷🏼‍♂️

And it’s not literally the playoff money per se. It’s the perception that they are trying to be more like the bigger sports. 

Edited by TiScape

2 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Like I said. Just thinking out loud. They can’t have it both ways. IDK, maybe they can 🤷🏼‍♂️

And it’s not literally the playoff money per se. It’s the perception that they are trying to be more like the bigger sports. 

Other than the truly elite golfers make waaaaay less than major sport athletes.  In MLB alone 40 are guaranteed $20m plus per year and 71 are $15m or more.

5 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Did the guy call him FIGJAM during his swing? If not, you’re telling me Phil can’t be expected to handle a guy saying FIGJAM to him?! Paleeeeez, the guy makes millions of dollars a year playing a game 99.9% of the population has to pay to play. Let it go in one ear and out the other and realize you are above letting that petty nonsense get to you. 

So, Phil and the rest of the cool fans gotta deal with this fool?

I disagree.

Guy gotta realize. He is nothing. Zero. I’n the context of an elite golf event and all the fans who paid and took time to enjoy themselves, he’s not entitled to get in Phil’s face and annoy him.

I appreciate it you disagree but that’s my take on it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

So, Phil and the rest of the cool fans gotta deal with this fool?

I disagree.

Guy gotta realize. He is nothing. Zero. I’n the context of an elite golf event and all the fans who paid and took time to enjoy themselves, he’s not entitled to get in Phil’s face and annoy him.

I appreciate it you disagree but that’s my take on it. 

Hey it’s all good! It’s an internet golf forum. We can have an occasional disagreement 😊 I typically know what’s gonna get a reaction form the OG WRX’ers. It’s great we can all have our own opinions and remain respectful. Plus I’m running low on “confused” emoji reactions! Need to balance things out. 😂

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TiScape said:

So if they made what MLB players made it would be ok? I don’t think you believe that. 

Not what I was saying.  You had made the comment that behavior can come from them wanting to play with the big boys.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

15 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Hey it’s all good! It’s an internet golf forum. We can have an occasional disagreement 😊 I typically know what’s gonna get a reaction form the OG WRX’ers. It’s great we can all have our own opinions and remain respectful. Plus I’m running low on “confused” emoji reactions! Need to balance things out. 😂

It’s one thing to have a disagreement here.  And a respectful discussion is always appreciated.

However we do have another defition for one that posts based on “what’s gonna get a reaction form the OG WRX’ers.”

Edited by Shilgy

23 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Not what I was saying.  You had made the comment that behavior can come from them wanting to play with the big boys.

I said the tour seems to be trying to be more like the big boys. I think it’s safe to say yes. All the big boy sports deal with drunk fans yelling at players occasionally. All I’m saying is if they want to be more like the big boys, don’t be surprised when they get some of the things that come with that is all. Again, just thinking out loud after reading lefthacks post.

Edited by TiScape

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

It’s one thing to have a disagreement here.  And a respectful discussion is always appreciated.

However we do have another defition for one that posts based on “what’s gonna get a reaction form the OG WRX’ers.”

I didn’t say I posted to get the reaction. I said I had a feeling it would get a reaction. If your insinuating I’m a troll, save it!

• Haha 1

The bar to get tossed from a golf tournament is pretty low. You can say stuff 10x worse than "Brooksie" to a player, manager, or the ump at a baseball game and nobody will bat an eye. So while a player shouldn't have the ability to toss a fan, in reality the fan getting tossed has always (to date) crossed the (low) bar and really can't complain. Now if you see players asking fans to get tossed for ridiculous reasons - stuff like "I don't like his shoes", or "he clapped for Tiger and not me", or "he's staring me down and I don't like it", then you might have to re-consider the policy.

So OP, what I'm saying is the policy could be abused but isn't, so there really is no problem (yet).

Edited by tw_focus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TiScape said:

I didn’t say I posted to get the reaction. I said I had a feeling it would get a reaction. If your insinuating I’m a troll, save it!

Guess i was going for the reaction!😘

warning.PNG.5cda040d76f59a9fd9b1dacfb8ac8b5f.PNG

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

9 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Absolutely.

Here is Phil having a guy booted for calling him Figjam 🤣

The players are busy trying to play golf. They are only going to boot guys who really heckle them are interfering with doing their job. All the fans want these idiots gone as well.

The course is going to crack down as well but a player should definitely be able to have anybody tossed. 

Bryson would be crucified for this

• Like 1

lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's

11 minutes ago, MakersMarsh3 said:

Bryson would be crucified for this

I honestly didn’t know Phil was so sensitive about that. I’ve seen guys at tournaments wearing FIGJAM shirts and assumed an over served fan somewhere along the way had said FIGJAM in his direction. Never heard of them being booted. Perhaps there was more to the incident @bscinstnct posted???

24 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I honestly didn’t know Phil was so sensitive about that. I’ve seen guys at tournaments wearing FIGJAM shirts and assumed an over served fan somewhere along the way had said FIGJAM in his direction. Never heard of them being booted. Perhaps there was more to the incident @bscinstnct posted???

I seriously had no idea Phil didn't like this name. I'd think a name like that is funny if i had that talent and stature 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

What I do not understand is what drives someone to act that way. What is going on in their life that would cause them to think … “I know, if I yell something at Bryson then my life will be better.”  How small must they be on the inside that yelling something at Bryson will make them feel better. 

I am glad the tour is taking a stand. I hope they get medieval on the crowd and lay the smack down on the first offense.  

drn92

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, drn92 said:

What I do not understand is what drives someone to act that way? What is going on in their life that would cause them to think … “I know, if I yell something at Bryson then my life will be better.”  How small must they be on the inside that yelling something at Bryson will make them feel better. 

I am glad the tour is taking a stand. I hope they get medieval on the crowd and lay the smack down on the first offense.  

drn92

Good question! Any psychologists out there? If you can settle for a non-experts take on the subject. Cantlay’s take was pretty good IMO.

https://golf.com/news/patrick-cantlay-bryson-dechambeau-pip-social-media/?amp=1

Edited by TiScape