Driver Shafts 50-60 grams

Flyers99

So I am not getting younger and looking at some lighter shafts. I have a driver SS in the mid 90’s with smooth transition. I used recently Atmos Blue 6S, Rogue Silver 60S, Tensei Orange 65. The Tensei comes in a lighter version but any other suggestions for some lighter shafts that aren’t too high launching and spin? Most I seem to find are well over 60 grams. Also saw the Aldila NV 55 as an option. 

My speed is slighty slower than you...I play the Evenflow Rip Tide 50gm Regular shaft...it works real well for my swing,,,it is 53 grams,,,the 60gm shaft is 63 grams...it goes well with my tempo.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

10 hours ago, Flyers99 said:

Also saw the Aldila NV 55 as an option. 

I'm a big fan of the NV 55 and not sure you're going to find much better for low launching in that weight range.   But he Phenom 50 was a great shaft I wish they had not stopped making. Not as low launching as the NV but almost - it was a very good low-mid shaft.  Can still find them around though - try ebay.    Tensei CK Blue is available in the 50 gm range (57 for stiff, 54 for reg) although that's more a mid-launch shaft.  But you can always tip it 1" to lower the launch a little bit.

Xcaliber is always a good, reasonably priced option. I've never had a complaint about their products. You might also look into Miyazaki. They've specialized in lightweight shafts for quite some time. I love the C. Kua 50s that I currently play. Since they are a proprietary shaft for Cleveland, they can be difficult to find on the open market. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I too am getting older same swing speed as you with smooth transition. I just got a PXG gen 4 with the "no upcharge" Diamana 60g limited in regular flex, extremely happy with it. It is a smooth operator and wont break the bank. Might not be the best for those with a quick transition. It is a touch stiffer than most regular flexes, but doesn't reach that stiff flex category.

What you're referring to are Ultra-light weight shaft category.  Shafts below 60grams to 40g.  I played 66g Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60 "S" for a long time, great shaft.  But because I am getting older, thought there might be some benefit if I could find the right shaft. 

Most ultra-light shafts have mid to low bend profiles with soft handles and tip sections, for really slow SS.  To be honest, I went into this thinking it won't work. 

I couldn't find any Demo's, so when I saw Fujikura's advertisement for Ventus, looked hard at info and decided to pull the trigger on a Ventus Red 5 Series S (59g).  The fact I function best with stiff handles and tips, and the 5 series "S" provides exactly those attributes, after a few rounds of 18, I suddenly became a happy camper.  The shaft is incredible, I can go after my tee ball as hard as l can muster, and it stays with my hands.  Since it's been in the bag, I have hit some drivers that rival distances I was hitting 20yrs back, a few over 300yds, and I am 70yrs old.  I have since bought 7 series, 71g "S" and 6 series, 65g for woods.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

18 hours ago, pduvie said:

My speed is slighty slower than you...I play the Evenflow Rip Tide 50gm Regular shaft...it works real well for my swing,,,it is 53 grams,,,the 60gm shaft is 63 grams...it goes well with my tempo.

My swing speed is in mid 90s, and I’m very happy with the Evenflow CB 50 I have in my driver

19 hours ago, Kyle M said:

Ventus velocore Red 5S. It’s 59 grams. I’m playing one in my driver that I tipped 1/2”. It has been great so far. My driver SS is 105 plus or minus. 

26 minutes ago, DHoch said:

My swing speed is in mid 90s, and I’m very happy with the Evenflow CB 50 I have in my driver

+1, here. Ventus Velocore 5S.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting along well with my Tensei 1k 50s and have a Ventus Black 5s on the way to test.  MCA has a great lineup of "lighter weight" shafts that are low spin/low-low mid launching. 

https://www.mca-golf.com/brands/diamana™

Cally Epic Speed and Mavrik Std 9* with Tensei 1k White 50s, Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Titleist TSi2 4Hy, Mizuno 223 PX 5.5IO PW-5i, Titleist 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.08M, Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11 35" putter; Driver SS 99-104mph, 4.0 index

The Aldila Xtorsion Green is 56g with a mid/high kick point and supposed to be a low/mid launch and low spin 

I play a Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX and have contemplated getting a Green as well since I like the Copper so much…… so much I bought two Coppers, just incase one gets damaged 😉 

https://www.aldila.com/sites/aldila/files/ALD-TECH SPEC-XTORSION Green_r2v20181202_0.pdf

I’ve been tinkering with sub60 gram shafts lately as well.  I’d played Tensei AV Blue 55s SFW in the G400 Max, and my driver speed is 100.  It was a very accurate combo that I could turn over easily.   Carry was great but roll out was not so good.  I’ve also been messing with the Aldila RIPx 55s but it truly is low launching even at 55 grams.  Too low for me.

I’m currently gaming the Hzrdus Smoke Black 60 6.0.  It comes in at 59 grams.  Launch and spin come in between the RIPx and AV Blue.  I just wish it felt more like the RIPx.

Also, the RIPx is pretty cheap right now but feels soo premium!

Edited by thed0n

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread and did a quick search and found this one and thought it would fit in.

I took delivery today on a new 46" Aldila NV 44 Green Magnum 44 X flex shaft for an over length build using my MAX LS 10.5* head. 

Presently using a Fuji Pro 2.0 6X at 46" total and it does real well most days, I am just bored and felt like messing around with a longer lighter shaft to see if I can make any gains but still keep it on the planet.

The NV Green Magnum is a older shaft so brand new delivered it was $86, so if it is a complete fail not a big loss and in the current market could most likely make it stock length and get most of the money back tipped and gripped.

Has anyone used this Shaft in the past? Interested in any thoughts on it.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

52 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread and did a quick search and found this one and thought it would fit in.

I took delivery today on a new 46" Aldila NV 44 Green Magnum 44 X flex shaft for an over length build using my MAX LS 10.5* head. 

Presently using a Fuji Pro 2.0 6X at 46" total and it does real well most days, I am just bored and felt like messing around with a longer lighter shaft to see if I can make any gains but still keep it on the planet.

The NV Green Magnum is a older shaft so brand new delivered it was $86, so if it is a complete fail not a big loss and in the current market could most likely make it stock length and get most of the money back tipped and gripped.

Has anyone used this Shaft in the past? Interested in any thoughts on it.

Never put it in play but I messed around with one for a little bit.  I was pretty impressed with the stiffness they were able to get with such a light shaft.   Not quite a true NV tip stiffness but pretty close - and I was always more a fan of the Aldila Blue shafts anyways - for which it's actually a pretty good match.

It didn't' hurt the game at all but it also didn't add anything to my game - but I tend to be a lot less sensitive to shaft weight so the swing didn't change much whether it's a 48 gm shaft or a 68 gm shaft in the driver.  But that's me, everyone is different.

• Thanks 1

I was digging around in the parts bins and found a callaway green dot adapter I forgot I had. Put that on the shaft and will butt cut and grip it a bit later for a test run Thursday at a Course I know well so if it is fairly straight I will know if there are any gains. 

There is a simulator bar that just opened up the road so I may just go in there and see if I can get some numbers. No idea what kind of setup they have but it would give me something to compare.

Edited by Jim53

SLED # 1  35.5

13 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

It's extremely hard finding a shaft in this weight range for anyone that swings 110-115 mph. Can I ask what your swing speed is?  I'm considering trying this shaft out

FYI the guy on ebay I bought the X flex Adila 44 magnum also had the same shaft in Tour X, I started to try that one but figured X would be fine for me. Expecting at 48" it to play a bit softer anyway.

SLED # 1  35.5

With a 50 gram Winn oversize grip it came out to E1 with the slider weight in it at 48", took out the sliding weight and got back down to D3-4 which is where it was with the 46" build fuji shaft. Not really sure how much the slider will matter flight wise, I had it all the way over in the toe and with the green dot adapter it seems to sit open quite bit at 8.5* 

Once the grip dries I am going to hit a few into the woods across the street and see how it feels and if it hooks off the planet. Then I will put the slider back in and see if I notice the much higher SW. 

Fun project

SLED # 1  35.5

1st impression is real good, put the foot spray on the face and hit 3 balls cold and bare foot. The 1st one seemed to go way right, swung a bit harder and turned better and the next two were real good. Looked like a slight fade, center face contact and seemed to be very high and out there. 

I was hitting over a hedge 15 ft in front of me and trees across the street and cleared everything by lot. Surprisingly high to me, it will be interesting to see how the flight is on the 1st tee tomorrow.

SLED # 1  35.5

I hit up on it quite a bit, no recent numbers but tee it high and try to hit up anyway. With my old man swing / lunge at the ball I get varied results depending on how the Arthritis is any given day.

No idea if it is balloning yet from 3 swings. tomorrow will tell me a lot more. Having it lofted down to 8.5 should help some with the spin, at least I hope so. 

SLED # 1  35.5

1st round was OK, hit it well for the most part but no significant gains to be seen. A couple that were pured went farther than normal but not earth shattering like I was dreaming about.

It felt pretty light to me at D4 so I am going to put the sliding weight back in and try it again Sat. or Sun. Maybe with the extra length a higher SW would feel better, the shaft was surprisingly friendly feeling to me, just felt good. 

I could flight it just fine and it was not balloning even into the wind. tee it high and hit it high, tee it low and mid / low flight. Really pretty boring for 48" overall length.

SLED # 1  35.5