2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone Have An Idea of What TM’s Driver Plans Are for 2022?

BCC1898

Just now, GMcKelvie said:

Went into a local shop this weekend and asked around to see if any of the staff had a chance to hit it yet. According the a few of the employees a TM rep had been in the week prior and gave the entire staff the chance to hit it. 2 employees mentioned that they took their gamer shafts out of their SIM2 and swapped them into the new head. One claimed 4 more MPH of ball speed and the other claimed 3mph. They claimed they used GCQuad to measure strike location and found that speed gain on like for like shots. 

Early days and hard to tell but we shall see. The one claiming 4mph said he gained on average 12 more yards of carry.

Sounds like what my buddy at our shop said.  I am usually pretty tentative to get too excited about the hype train.  I buy new drivers because I want to.  Don't ever really expect huge changes other than maybe better feel or fit.  But, there has been a lot of talk from people who've hit it and hearing it from someone I personally know and trust makes me wonder if maybe some of it may actually be true.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 hour ago, Long Shot said:

Players who tested it (tour pros) are getting 4-8 mph more ball speed off the face. A regular non tour pro (but very good golfers) had said 4-6 mph for him. The tour pro stats is what TM is claiming, the 4-6 is what the player whom I know who hit are saying.

edited for context

The problem with this and every other post that basically says the same thing is that the numbers are given. without. supporting. context. Where is the speed coming from? Were the swing speeds the same but the old driver was less efficient? Was the old driver normal and the new driver magically MORE efficient? Were these speeds an average of total shots hit or literally strike for strike? If so, how were the strikes measured? Everytime someone just drops contextless information like this it reeks of secondhand gossip meant to build hype, and without supporting clubhead speed and strike location data, it is hot air that if true would make the driver illegal.

If the tour pro is swinging 120mph and hitting 180bs then he is NOT hitting 186bs what that same swing. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

The problem with this and every other post that basically says the same thing is that the numbers are given. without. supporting. context. Where is the speed coming from? Were the swing speeds the same but the old driver was less efficient? Was the old driver normal and the new driver magically MORE efficient? Were these speeds an average of total shots hit or literally strike for strike? If so, how were the strikes measured? Everytime someone just drops contextless information like this it reeks of secondhand gossip meant to build hype, and without supporting clubhead speed and strike location data, it is hot air that if true would make the driver illegal.

If the tour pro is swinging 120mph and hitting 180bs then he is NOT hitting 186bs what that same swing. 

They can only share so much.  If the claims hold true, we'll see it once reviews start dropping.  Really looking forward for TXG to break this down.

• Like 2

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

13 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

THIS, all of this!

On equal speed center strikes, my Adams launch lab keeps up with my Sim2 no problem.  Where the sim stomps the lab is on my toe side miss hits. So on avg the sim performs much better over a number of shots.  I can stomach claims of more ball speed on miss hits at equal speed.  You can't sell me on magic ball speed on center strikes. Unless you are selling improved aerodynamics that's giving people 2 or 3 more mph swing speed.  I'm intrigued by more speed on miss hits, but I don't believe in unicorns.  I'm eagerly awaiting to be proven wrong on this though. 🤣

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

16 minutes ago, radiman said:

They can only share so much.  If the claims hold true, we'll see it once reviews start dropping.  Really looking forward for TXG to break this down.

Just now, DeCuchi said:

THIS, all of this!

On equal speed center strikes, my Adams launch lab keeps up with my Sim2 no problem.  Where the sim stomps the lab is on my toe side miss hits. So on avg the sim performs much better over a number of shots.  I can stomach claims of more ball speed on miss hits at equal speed.  You can't sell me on magic ball speed on center strikes. Unless you are selling improved aerodynamics that's giving people 2 or 3 more mph swing speed.  I'm intrigued by more speed on miss hits, but I don't believe in unicorns.  I'm eagerly awaiting to be proven wrong on this though. 🤣

Exactly. I can and have absolutely no problem believing that face tech could create on overall net ball speed gain across a selection of shots based on better performing mishits, I DEFINITELY see that with something like my SIM 3w over my older Titleist gamers for example, but if someone is peppering the center of the face then a 4-8mph ball speed increase either means faster swing speed, or a smash factor that would make the driver illegal, there is really no way around that. 

@radiman I'm looking forward to the TXG review as well since we can trust their skills and measurements. I'm willing to bet with Matt's speed and strike patterns that we'll MAYBE see a 1-2mph ball speed increase assuming similar CHS if there is something to this face tech, and that will be based on small gains in slight mishits. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

Just now, Valtiel said:

Exactly. I can and have absolutely no problem believing that face tech could create on overall net ball speed gain across a selection of shots based on better performing mishits, I DEFINITELY see that with something like my SIM 3w over my older Titleist gamers for example, but if someone is peppering the center of the face then a 4-8mph ball speed increase either means faster swing speed, or a smash factor that would make the driver illegal, there is really no way around that. 

@radiman I'm looking forward to the TXG review as well since we can trust their skills and measurements. I'm willing to bet with Matt's speed and strike patterns that we'll MAYBE see a 1-2mph ball speed increase assuming similar CHS if there is something to this face tech, and that will be based on small gains in slight mishits. 

Just speculation at this point which I find fun haha.  It's my silly season since I can't golf and the pre-launch hype train is the majority of my golf intake lol.  Could end up being just hype but maybe there is something behind it.  The ball speed retention is what has the majority of my attention.  Over the course of a range session, that alone could definitely improve my AVERAGE ball speed 5+mph if it's that good.  

People seem to be getting bent out of shape on some level.  But, some skepticism is necessary to keep expectations realistic and all.  Info is sparse and a lot is just I know a guy who tried it type stuff.  We won't get the full run down until a lot closer to launch which sounds like it's still 2 months out.  Until then, it's just fun to hear.  I haven't personally noticed a level of hype like this since the original Epic line.  

Like I said, I am buying this driver.  But, I am hanging onto my Sim just in case.  It's a performer and has earned the right to be forced out of its spot in the bag. 

• Like 2

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

All of this talk around the COR test and seemingly "better numbers than allowed" reminds me of Formula 1 engineering... the FIA gives you a box to build in a and a bunch of static tests to conform to. The trick is in passing the static tests while engineering something that performs better in a dynamic sense (on track, at speed). They are successful at this in F1, to an extent... once the other teams see that "something isn't right", protests get filed and often those innovations have to be removed/reverted as they are deemed to fall outside the spirit of the rules, etc..

I know nothing about this new TM driver, but I really wonder how this might play out.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

1 minute ago, Natural1 said:

All of this talk around the COR test and seemingly "better numbers than allowed" reminds me of Formula 1 engineering... the FIA gives you a box to build in a and a bunch of static tests to conform to. The trick is in passing the static tests while engineering something that performs better in a dynamic sense (on track, at speed). They are successful at this in F1, to an extent... once the other teams see that "something isn't right", protests get filed and often those innovations have to be removed/reverted as they are deemed to fall outside the spirit of the rules, etc..

I know nothing about this new TM driver, but I really wonder how this might play out.

That's a good point.  If they somehow figured out a way to work around the COR test, I imagine the governing bodies would have to do something in response.  They're already preparing to dial back distance it seems. 

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

3 minutes ago, radiman said:

That's a good point.  If they somehow figured out a way to work around the COR test, I imagine the governing bodies would have to do something in response.  They're already preparing to dial back distance it seems. 

I think the COR test has been manipulated for a long time now.  They used to shoot a ball off the face, if I remember.  Now they bounce some metal thing off the face at slow speeds.  Seems like that could be more easily manipulated and is less reflective of true playing conditions.

1 minute ago, NoCalHack said:

I think the COR test has been manipulated for a long time now.  They used to shoot a ball off the face, if I remember.  Now they bounce some metal thing off the face at slow speeds.  Seems like that could be more easily manipulated and is less reflective of true playing conditions.

That's what I am thinking too.  And, I remember similar discussions when jailbreak was introduced by Callaway.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

15 minutes ago, radiman said:

Just speculation at this point which I find fun haha.  It's my silly season since I can't golf and the pre-launch hype train is the majority of my golf intake lol.  Could end up being just hype but maybe there is something behind it.  The ball speed retention is what has the majority of my attention.  Over the course of a range session, that alone could definitely improve my AVERAGE ball speed 5+mph if it's that good.  

People seem to be getting bent out of shape on some level.  But, some skepticism is necessary to keep expectations realistic and all.  Info is sparse and a lot is just I know a guy who tried it type stuff.  We won't get the full run down until a lot closer to launch which sounds like it's still 2 months out.  Until then, it's just fun to hear.  I haven't personally noticed a level of hype like this since the original Epic line.  

Like I said, I am buying this driver.  But, I am hanging onto my Sim just in case.  It's a performer and has earned the right to be forced out of its spot in the bag. 

I see what you mean, I guess I just feel differently about it since it is the same story every year. Its starts to feel like campaign promises during an election year to me and it actually turns me OFF the product. That's just me though, and that souring obviously goes away if something game changing actually happens, but that is where the other point is. We KNOW where the future of drivers is going more or less, it is in manipulating CG and MOI to further optimize launch conditions to create greater overall distance. The USGA MOI limit has barely been touched, and only by PING and PXG, and vertical CG (to the best of my knowledge) is not regulated. Face tech will play a role in that since lighter, stronger faces will be necessary to further manipulate CG, and hopefully those will create overall ball speed increases based on mishit performance. THAT is all interesting stuff, so when someone claims that pros for seeing improbable ball speed increases it just feels like the same tired sales pitch that is ignoring the ACTUAL cool innovations that will be needed to push drivers forward. 

I guess that is part of the hype formula though. Get people excited who want to believe the hype, and get people cranky so they want to see it disproven. Either way you get eyes on your product, hah. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Bridgestone 

2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I see what you mean, I guess I just feel differently about it since it is the same story every year. Its starts to feel like campaign promises during an election year to me and it actually turns me OFF the product. That's just me though, and that souring obviously goes away if something game changing actually happens, but that is where the other point is. We KNOW where the future of drivers is going more or less, it is in manipulating CG and MOI to further optimize launch conditions to create greater overall distance. The USGA MOI limit has barely been touched, and only by PING and PXG, and vertical CG (to the best of my knowledge) is not regulated. Face tech will play a role in that since lighter, stronger faces will be necessary to further manipulate CG, and hopefully those will create overall ball speed increases based on mishit performance. THAT is all interesting stuff, so when someone claims that pros for seeing improbably ball speed increases it just feels like the same tired sales pitch that is ignoring the ACTUAL cool innovations that will be needed to push drivers forward. 

I guess that is part of the hype formula though. Get people excited who want to believe the hype, and get people cranky so they want to see it disproven. Either way you get eyes on your product, hah. 

For sure, I completely get it and remember many marketing cycles that made some pretty bold claims.  They went carbon for a reason, the CG manipulation will be interesting to see.  How forgiving and stable can they make this new driver.  I am a sucker for golf club tech.  So, when something comes out that is radically different, I want to see what it's all about.  If it's something that forces further innovation from everyone else, then all the better since the number of good options should follow suit.  

I guess I am trying to keep an open mind and sift through some of the obvious noise.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

th

The person I know who hit it is a club pro, he swings around 112-114. He plays a TM SIM2 with a Tour AD-HD 60x, he demoed the new head with a similar shaft profile (not sure which he said). Not a lot of info out there on where the speed comes from, guess you will have to wait the 50 or so sleeps to find out. And yes a tour pro can go from 180 to 186 by changing heads if the tech is in the head. 

Personally I am skeptical about it may work for me and my miss pattern, especially given development and promises the past few years, and last year manufacturers saying they maxed the heads out and were working on similar speed across the face and forgiveness. 

Edited by Long Shot

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

2 hours ago, radiman said:

The tour numbers were from a rep I assume?  Likely going to be their marketing numbers they use?

Player testing numbers came from a reliable source, everyone who has seen and/or hit the club had to sign an NDA and this year's NDA was a little different to include more penalties for breach.  

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

45 minutes ago, hoselshot82 said:

so how long before the other OEMs adopt this new tech? Perhaps why we haven’t heard of a g425 replacement. 

All depends on who owns the tech behind it and what agreements are in place with respect to cross licensing.

If there are no legal impediments, I'd expect others to release similar technology within a year.   

But if TM truly has something game changing, they're smart guys and they'll want to assure themselves of some exclusivity.

38 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

And yes a tour pro can go from 180 to 186 by changing heads if the tech is in the head. 

Please explain how that would work. 

• Like 3

Bridgestone 

3 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Players who tested it (tour pros) are getting 4-8 mph more ball speed off the face. A regular non tour pro (but very good golfers) had said 4-6 mph for him. The tour pro stats is what TM is claiming, the 4-6 is what the player whom I know who hit are saying.

edited for context

So they got 4-6 mph with a nonconforming club? Which it is since it’s not on the conforming list yet. Could I believe that? Oh yes! Absolutely!

Am I the only one who is getting turned off by this whole wait to see what a lot of others are already seeing? For me it makes me feel like @TaylorMadeGolf is a classist or elitists. They would show for 500,000 views they said, so basically we don’t matter. 

The golf golf industry makes me laugh. They do a ton for the people who get free of discounted clubs, but make the guys who buy things full pop wait or get limited options. 
this is my first year since the 90s looking to buy a non Titleist driver. At least I know what cobra and callaway look like....

1 minute ago, 4TheKing614 said:

Am I the only one who is getting turned off by this whole wait to see what a lot of others are already seeing? For me it makes me feel like @TaylorMadeGolf is a classist or elitists. They would show for 500,000 views they said, so basically we don’t matter. 

The golf golf industry makes me laugh. They do a ton for the people who get free of discounted clubs, but make the guys who buy things full pop wait or get limited options. 
this is my first year since the 90s looking to buy a non Titleist driver. At least I know what cobra and callaway look like....

The “others” that are already seeing this are the ones placing orders with taylormade to fill their shops. It’s routine for the reps to go out and show off their goods ahead of time. 

You may know what callaway and cobra look like. But I can guarantee you at least Callaway didn’t want those pics coming out. They’ve been getting removed left and right. 

If it’s the first time you’ve been paying attention to other releases I understand that it may seem odd. But this song and dance has been happening for years. 

• Like 2

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

3 hours ago, hoselshot82 said:

so how long before the other OEMs adopt this new tech? Perhaps why we haven’t heard of a g425 replacement. 

The G425 was just released.  Ping is at least 2 years away from their next release. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

1 minute ago, radiman said:

The “others” that are already seeing this are the ones placing orders with taylormade to fill their shops. It’s routine for the reps to go out and show off their goods ahead of time. 

You may know what callaway and cobra look like. But I can guarantee you at least Callaway didn’t want those pics coming out. They’ve been getting removed left and right. 

If it’s the first time you’ve been paying attention to other releases I understand that it may seem odd. But this song and dance has been happening for years. 

Thanks for your response. I am used to it. I just don’t joke that for certain amount of views they will sneak it early. 

im also not convinced they don’t like it shared by someone. 

Either way the industry is in need of a shift. They take great care of those who play their clubs for free and seemingly care less and less about the people who actually pay for full pop

1 minute ago, 4TheKing614 said:

Thanks for your response. I am used to it. I just don’t joke that for certain amount of views they will sneak it early. 

im also not convinced they don’t like it shared by someone. 

Either way the industry is in need of a shift. They take great care of those who play their clubs for free and seemingly care less and less about the people who actually pay for full pop

I don't recall the view comment I guess.  I don't doubt that some "leaks" are intentional.  But, I can appreciate what goes into coming up with a marketing campaign, messaging, ads, materials.  It takes time and a lot of moving pieces are involved.  All brands want to be able to control their image and releases as much as possible.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 minute ago, radiman said:

I don't recall the view comment I guess.  I don't doubt that some "leaks" are intentional.  But, I can appreciate what goes into coming up with a marketing campaign, messaging, ads, materials.  It takes time and a lot of moving pieces are involved.  All brands want to be able to control their image and releases as much as possible.  

That I can 100 percent agree with 

6 minutes ago, radiman said:

They joked somewhere earlier in the thread that if it got to 500k views that they'd show a sneak peak. I think the thread had somewhere around 87k at the time, so I assume it was a half joke. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone 

55 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Please explain how that would work. 

If you don't know how technology has impacted ball speed in heads, no sense explaining. Just look at the difference in drivers from 20 years ago and increased ball speed today. How did that happen? Some idiots on this forum just want to argue, been a member here for close to 17 years, this is why I hardly post anymore. 

Edited by Long Shot

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Just saw the driver in person. I'm not a big TM guy but it looks way better than SIM and SIM 2 imo. Much less polarizing and love the sleek look. Customizable colors for the face too but the red honestly doesn't stand out like crazy. 

• Thanks 3

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

• easyyy unfeatured this topic