2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The New Unwritten Rules of Golf Etiquette

The unwritten rules of golf etiquette used to be fairly simple.  IMO, they boiled down to two basic tenets.  The first was "Don't let your actions impair/impede the play of your opponent/partner."  So you had rules like:

• Don't stand behind or in front of the intended target line of someone about to hit.
  • Don't walk on a player's line on the green.
  • Be quiet/still when a player is about to hit.
  • Do not intentionally engage in gamesmanship.
  • etc.

The second basic tenet was "Be courteous on the course."  So you had rules like:

• Fix ball marks.
  • Rake bunkers.
  • Do not hit into the group in front of you.
  • Offer to let faster groups play through.
  • Offer to tend the flag if you're the closest ball to the pin.
  • Compliment good play/shots.
  • Don't hurry, but don't loiter on the course either.
  • Try to sincerely hope your opponent/partner plays well.  If you can't do that, fake it.
  • etc.

Today, some of these rules are obsolete.  For example, with the new-ish rule on flagsticks, it's becoming increasingly rare for anyone to offer or ask to have the flagstick tended.  Some of these rules are ignored now.  For example, thanks to spikeless shoes and soft spikes, many golfers don't think twice about walking in someone's line, especially on firm, fast greens.   

So, what are the new rules of golf etiquette?  And what rules are now obsolete?

• Thanks 1

One of the things we are watchful of, especially in tournaments, is how many times each player puts the flag back in before leaving the hole.  It's always been like 5/6 times per round in threesomes, like tending.  If an experienced player doesn't put the flagstick back at least four times during the round we consider it rude.  And with new golfer we explain how all these things work while we go playing and they take it all ok  Etiquette is part of the spirit of a game that without good manners and rules would be a real mess due to its nature. 

And on the wishing good luck to your rival, the great Roberto De Vicenzo used to tell the younger pros when they teed up together: "Play well kids, but don't beat me."  Sheer class.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No need to gin up "new" since the 2019 Rules already guide us well in Rule 1 with:

Conduct Expected of All Players

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1&subrulenum=2

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

10 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

The unwritten rules of golf etiquette used to be fairly simple.  IMO, they boiled down to two basic tenets.  The first was "Don't let your actions impair/impede the play of your opponent/partner."  So you had rules like:

• Don't stand behind or in front of the intended target line of someone about to hit.
  • etc.

The second basic tenet was "Be courteous on the course."  So you had rules like:

• Fix ball marks.
  • Rake bunkers.
  • Try to sincerely hope your opponent/partner plays well.  If you can't do that, fake it.
  • etc.

Today, some of these rules are obsolete.  For example, with the new-ish rule on flagsticks, it's becoming increasingly rare for anyone to offer or ask to have the flagstick tended.  Some of these rules are ignored now.  For example, thanks to spikeless shoes and soft spikes, many golfers don't think twice about walking in someone's line, especially on firm, fast greens.   

Great list, and it has not gone out of style, ie, still very applicable, maybe not known widely enough.  All was previously taught to new golfers by the experienced golfers.  If we are now the experienced golfers, we need to do better!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

• etc.

• Fix ball marks.
  • Rake bunkers.
  • etc.

I sure wish they would though.  It’s not the old days where we also had a spike mark being made that is an issue….it’s your 260 pond fat rear making a depression in the green. Even on firm greens.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

I sure wish they would though.  It’s not the old days where we also had a spike mark being made that is an issue….it’s your 260 pond fat rear making a depression in the green. Even on firm greens.

We have a couple of +300 pound guys that I don't want stepping on my line of putt regardless of what shoes they are wearing!  Just be responsible and walk around everyone's line of putt (or chip).

• Like 2

It's a gray area, but have your opponents mark their ball on the green, when you are chipping on. I was playing an event, and to keep the pace up I chipped from a difficult position and was assisted when my ball hit theirs about 3 feet from the hole. My ball wasn't going to stop and would have gone off.

This is a point of contention on tour as they are good enough to try to hit a ball for an assist, especially out of a trap or when chipping. I happened to get lucky.

23 hours ago, naval2006 said:

One of the things we are watchful of, especially in tournaments, is how many times each player puts the flag back in before leaving the hole.  It's always been like 5/6 times per round in threesomes, like tending.  If an experienced player doesn't put the flagstick back at least four times during the round we consider it rude.  And with new golfer we explain how all these things work while we go playing and they take it all ok  Etiquette is part of the spirit of a game that without good manners and rules would be a real mess due to its nature. 

And on the wishing good luck to your rival, the great Roberto De Vicenzo used to tell the younger pros when they teed up together: "Play well kids, but don't beat me."  Sheer class.

OMG you actually keep track of this? Holy cow.

23 hours ago, naval2006 said:

I’ve never used gamesmanship, belittled another golfer or wished a bad shot on anyone. As long a I play well - I’m also happy to lose to a better golfer.

Conversely; when playing Matchplay I’ve always said to my opponent: “Enjoy your game”.

Like hell I’m saying ‘Play well’ to anyone pegging it up and trying to tan my hide……

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

2 hours ago, larrybud said:

Ever play with a guy that NEVER grabs the stick, and you're holing out LAST and have to grab it?

Yes and then you get to ask them: "How much does a flagstick weigh?" 

It is a classic when than bight.

1 hour ago, 5 O&#x27;Clock Charlie said:

It's a gray area, but have your opponents mark their ball on the green, when you are chipping on. I was playing an event, and to keep the pace up I chipped from a difficult position and was assisted when my ball hit theirs about 3 feet from the hole. My ball wasn't going to stop and would have gone off.

This is a point of contention on tour as they are good enough to try to hit a ball for an assist, especially out of a trap or when chipping. I happened to get lucky.

No one is aiming for the ball, it is just an added possible help

6 hours ago, 5 O'Clock Charlie said:

Since this is a rules forum, it should be noted that the term opponent refers to match play. The distinction is important because your opponent is free to leave his/her ball in a position that could assist your play as the opponent is potentially only harming his/her own chances of winning the match.

But you were actually talking about stroke play, in which the ball lying on the putting green and helping another player's play should be marked and lifted (or played out of turn). An agreement to leave the ball in place would result in the general penalty for all parties involved in the agreement.

Edited by Halebopp
  • Like 1

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

So many are leaving the pin in now, but first in should get the flag,
regardless of how many times.   
There are guys who don't get the flag, from when we used to remove it. 
I believe you can putt short putts better without the flag, evidenced by 
few tour pros leaving the flag in now.  

There are a lot of golfers learning golf from friends or on their own, so they 
either don't learn and/or they don't care.            

On 9/4/2021 at 11:18 PM, 2bGood said:

That is an interesting approach to the rule. I was always taught the first to hole out replaces the flag stick. 

Growing up playing in a lot of junior tournaments we were taught different.  First person to hole out moves on to the next hole, 2nd to hole out takes care of the flagstick.  Helps keep pace up.  Of course these days, since it's legal, it's pretty rare when playing any of us pull the stick.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

52 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Growing up playing in a lot of junior tournaments we were taught different.  First person to hole out moves on to the next hole, 2nd to hole out takes care of the flagstick.  Helps keep pace up.  Of course these days, since it's legal, it's pretty rare when playing any of us pull the stick.  

Right, that's the AJGA way. It's just one of their tactics to keep it moving. 🙂

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I'd find that a bit annoying to have someone wander off and move their bag etc while the rest are trying to hole out. Fair enough if you need to dash to the loo and say, I'll go first. But for pace of play it's a bit naff. 

6 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I'd find that a bit annoying to have someone wander off and move their bag etc while the rest are trying to hole out. Fair enough if you need to dash to the loo and say, I'll go first. But for pace of play it's a bit naff. 

It may seem that way, but it works in well controlled competitions. I know firsthand as I've refereed AJGA for years. 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sui generis said:

It may seem that way, but it works in well controlled competitions. I know firsthand as I've refereed AJGA for years. 🙂

Maybe it's been too long since I've been a junior! And I'm curious how much time it saves if it isn't that person's honour either.

My pet peeve is the random who wants the flag in. We are a little old school, happy to leave the flag in from outside twenty feet or so, but it gets pulled as soon we're all inside. Then a random fourth joins and wants it in for all putts. We just let them putt out. 

9 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Maybe it's been too long since I've been a junior! And I'm curious how much time it saves if it isn't that person's honour either.

AJGA considers the practice just one of their many incremental steps to keep 'em moving. Their direction is for the first player to hole out should go toward the next tee and be ready to be the first to tee off. The second player to finish should replace the flagstick. Since it's virtually always stroke play, the order of play from the tee is unimportant. These juniors range from twelve to eighteen. They play in threes and all walk. There are no caddies. 

2 hours ago, sui generis said:

Right, that's the AJGA way. It's just one of their tactics to keep it moving. 🙂

It's was also fairly standard in the pro events/qualifiers and am events I played in,  but that also goes back almost 15+ years now.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

If you're focused on what you're doing,  you don't notice it.   Also, If you're the one walking off, you're not turning it into a big look at me event,  you go about it in a way that goes fairly unnoticed. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 hours ago, MountainKing said:

And if you have caddies the protocol is last player to hole out has their caddie replace the flag. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:34 PM, naval2006 said:

No, I don’t. But theres the odd time I get to the 15th hole and I realise someone hasn’t picked up a single stick all day. That’s a bit rude

I'd pick up the flag on every hole (though these days almost no one ever takes the flag out). Also pick up people's wedges that were laid on the green. Adds to my own enjoyment to golf with with elegance and politeness, regardless of how anyone else acts. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag