Tell us the tale of the worst golf shot you've ever seen in person

GolfWRX

...you know the one...The first-tee shank that hits a board member seated on the patio at the club. The bladed wedge that buzzes the green then rockets through the window of a course-side home. We want to hear the full story of the worst golf shot you've seen in person. The best answers will be featured in a front page article. 

Foursome matchplay competition 1st hole from the tips trees all the way down the left side, par 4. guy tees it up hits his drive it goes straight left maybe 2 yds forward 5-6 yds left and lands next to the teebox in some really long rough that hasnt even been considered for play. obviously his foursomes partner wasnt thrilled to het the 2nd shot. Almost like watching a reverse shank never seen anything like it.

• Like 1

Two that made me laugh so hard I pe** myself. 

Friend hit his tee shot on first hole , first day of a trip. Pulls it a bit. Goes out about 15 yards and hits a rock. Hits it and goes behind us about 10 years!!! Thankfully he laughed as well. 

Playing a money game at my old club. Guy gets up proceeds to hit his tee ball about 3" forward and straight INTO the ground. Buried it about 4-5" underground. 

• Like 1

Amateur division..   

9th hole 360 yds dogleg left up hill with the biggest willow tree in existence sitting 200 yds out at the bend. Guy I'm paired with lands his tee shot 20 yds short of the willow tree. 2nd shot hits the willow tree and it rebounds his ball almost back to the tee box. Catapult city..... yikes.

6 hours ago, mizuno player said:

Two that made me laugh so hard I pe** myself.

wait we can’t say “peed”?

edit: i guess we can. weird self-censor, bro. 

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I've seen my share of crappy shots and they're too many to mention but I only remember the remarkable ones that I shot myself.

About 10 years ago or so I hit my tee shot on a short par 4.  Tee shot was good and had about 130 yards on my 2nd.  There are overhead electrical wires going across on the fairway and my approach shot hit the wires and bounced back and landed exactly in the same spot.  🙄

• Haha 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Off the top of my head, I was playing blades at the time, and my dad asked if he could try to hit one of them.  So I said sure why not.  So he takes the 3 iron and takes a look at it and says "Wow those are pretty small."  He proceeds to try to hit my 3 iron off the tee on a par 4.  Only one problem, he misses.  He misses what you might ask, he misses everything.  Didn't hit the ground, the ball, or the tee.  Just air, we both got a good laugh.

• Haha 2

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

1 hour ago, hoselrocker said:

I have two - both me, and both at driving ranges.

The range was packed and the only opening was right next to the range shop/office. I'm hitting next to a very attractive lass who is obviously a very good golfer as she's working draws/ fades and pounding her driver. So I figure I'll impress her and hit a couple "draws" and "fades" as well - in quotes because I can do neither. My first "draw" attempt goes off either the hosel or toe still not sure, and then ricochets off the little steel divider between us and blasts straight through the window of the driving range shop with a thundering crash. Everybody on the packed range stops hitting and is looking around for the clown that managed such a miracle shot, including me. The gorgeous lady in the stall beside me then slowly turned around and looked at me like I just took a dump in the middle of a restaurant. Busted. I slithered into the shop and offered to pay for the window.

The second one I was at a different range because see above story. I had just finished a basket except for about 5 balls because at this range there is a practise green for chipping that's about 50 yards away from the main tee boxes and when it's quiet guys will turn around and chip to this green which is behind the main tee area. So I turn around and figure since I'm warmed up so I'll drop a couple balls on the green. Nope - first and last shot is sculled just as a brand new Toyota Highlander is rounding the corner on the road that runs behind this green. One hop off the pavement and smashes out the headlight of said Toyota. I'm the only guy on the range so there's nowhere to hide, not that I'd do that anyway. Guy was a golfer and very nice about it and I gave him my contact number so I could pay for the headlight.

Cost of a new Highlander headlight? $800!! Cost to my golfing ego? Priceless...

One positive was he's the owner of a well known local nightclub and felt bad about the cost to me so he offered me a $100 drink voucher at his club which I fully used to numb my lack off chipping prowess - and hitting draws, or any other shot now that I think about it.

Winner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Worst one I ever saw was one of my own. Playing my old home course, 2nd hole was a downhill par 5 dogleg right with an extremely large rock on the left side of the fairway about 200 yards out. So of course, playing with a friend and two others we were paired up with, all my brain can think about is "don't hit towards the rock" and I naturally hit my 3w right towards it. Thankfully the shot was low, barely above a worm burner, and the rough slowed the ball down about 10 yard short of the rock. 

The smart play here was to hit a wedge or 9i to the right of the rock, clearing it and setting up an OK 3rd shot that had a chance at maybe hitting the green. I, of course, did not choose the smart play. I pulled out my hybrid and proceeded to hit the rock dead on, sending my ball screaming backwards a good 50-60 yards. Thankfully no one was hurt. Well, ok my ego was hurt, but physically everyone was fine, save for the sore stomachs from laughing so hard at me. We were walking so I had to trudge back up the fairway to hit my 3rd shot, earning some confused looks from the group that had just arrived at the tee box.

Playing in a scramble, first hole. I hit my drive and one of the guys actually laughed at me because it ended up just into the rough, a decent length...for me. I digress.

The guy that invited me gets up to hit his utility. He got under it and it goes two feet forward and spun back three feet behind the divot hole. No one said anything. I was laughing my butt off silently. I don't think anyone could intentionally do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back around 1997 we were paired up with a couple  of guys at a course in the city park. 

One the #1 hole a guy either shanked, or hit a hard toe shot.

It went straight right of where he was aiming   onto the roof of a boys club.

It hit the skylight and broke  a big chunk  out of it.

We all hit  and waited  for someone  to come out, but no one ever did.

After we finished our round the guy went over to the boys club and went inside. 

We didn't  wait around, so I don't  know  what happened. 

That  skylight must have been 150 yards away.

Edited by Jackal66

Happened 3 month ago at Whittier Narrows GC.  Was playing on the weekend with my group.  One of my playing partners drops me off at my ball then proceeds to drive to his ball which in the left ball among a bunch of trees.  He lines up his shot and swings.  I hear the ball hit the tree in front of him and he immediately collapses reeling in pain.  I hit my shot and and run over to him to see what's up.  Apparently, his ball hit the tree, ricocheted and hit him square in the forehead.  He usually brings a cooler full of ice but not this time.  Only thing he could do was put a bottle of water on his forehead.  He is constantly asking me if it's swelling up and I say it looks fine.  Well, after the round, he has a decent sized knot.  Later, he admitted that he shanked it and paid the price. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

This was probably 40 years ago now ... a high school match. We're playing in the first group, so 1/2 players on each team. Our #1 was a +3 (now a club pro), and I was scratch. The other team's players were, let's say, somewhat less skilled.

Their guy hit a tee shot right off the heel. Low screamer. It hits the forward tee marker, and goes out of bounds. Directly BEHIND us. Right over our heads.

Only time I've ever seen stroke and distance give someone a distance advantage....

• Haha 3

On 9/4/2021 at 10:30 PM, Soloman1 said:

I apologize in advance for this:

One time I was playing at one of the several exclusive, private clubs that I sit on the board of and slightly mishit my 2-iron off the first tee. All of the employees of all of my businesses came to see their founder and CEO tee off because they know how good I am. I'm a little old now, but I'm 5'9-1/2" and 250 lbs of pure muscle from when I was a martial arts expert, football player (my nickname was "minifridge"), Special Forces, Navy Seal, cage fighter and totally awesome weight lifter.

I hit it a little off the sweet spot towards the toe, which is very, very rare, and it went almost 5 yards left of the center of the fairway and only 228 yards. They still clapped because they respect me so much, and they know I'm a very good golfer.

And that's the worst shot shot I ever hit.

Then I woke up and realized it was a bad dream. Everything else is true, but I've never a bad shot. That's why I'm a 2-5 handicap and you're not.

I remember reading about this.  Here is a picture of you after finishing #18.   

Three hours earlier you had the guys in green fight the guys in red for your amusement.  

As you can see there a far fewer guys in green.

image.png.90330d3741645e21c065ec4861c3467e.png

• Haha 1

I saw someone hit either a hole sign or ball washer, not sure which, off the first tee and it ricocheted backwards into the pool area by the clubhouse. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I have a couple. We’ve all seen the tops, blades, skanks, and shanks. Too many to mention over the years. But only a couple, truly, horrible shots stand out. 

We’re playing alternate shot. My partner center cuts it and I have 235 in. We’re talking about what club to take. And I’m saying, “I’ll go over with my 3 wood, but I’ll be short with my hybrid. Where do you want to chip from?” And he’s giving me the rah rah speech about hitting the green, “you can do it” and all that crap. Meanwhile the other team we are playing with are standing around watching this and listening and we go back and forth for about a minute. Finally I say, “Okay, I’ll hit hybrid and leave you short.”  I take a mighty swing…..and toe the ball straight right about 40 yards into a water hazard. Our opponents were laughing. My partner wasn’t happy. 🙂  The guys we were playing with still bring it up and it was at least 15 years ago. 

The second one, which is in our course history now, my friend shows up late to the first tee. Guy in his 20’s, liked to drink it up a bit. He just makes it to the first tee. Hungover. He proceeds to hit his drive with a huge slice, down the right side, across the 9th fairway, across the right rough, over the fence, across the four lane road and hits one of the high rise buildings in the air. Ball must have gone 290, slicing and high to carry all that stuff. He put his driver in his bag, drove away, and went home. Still the worst opening drive I’ve ever seen on that hole and I doubt it’ll be bested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

me - long while back - I shanked a few right into the instructor I was waiting for.

arrived early for a lesson. 

hitting a bucket to warm up. no dividers between the stalls.

I was coming down really inside, what can I say?

the next stall up was empty and one more up was kind of a husky guy blasting shots.

that turned out to be the guy I was booked with.

first time I was mighty apologetic - caught him in the thigh. he was very gracious.

second time, he stiffened up and after a few words I moved down a couple stalls.

third time I whizzed one about six feet left of him.

we had reached my scheduled time, though things were abbreviated, shall we say.

• Haha 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry