Tell us the tale of the worst golf shot you've ever seen in person

GolfWRX

3 hours ago, david.c.w said:

I was not able to witness the shot, but have heard the story 100 times, and have listened to the aftermath.

Playing a 24 man Ryder Cup event at the Waterfall Club at Lake Burton.  The fifth is wide open and downhill.  This picture is from google maps.  https://goo.gl/maps/WVt896D3qenutvfNA.  The line is basically just left of the tree on the right side, as it opens up down there.  A horrible hook will end up on the hill next to the house.  Friend somehow hits it so far left it goes right though a window.  Witnesses say it sounded like glass was falling for 30 seconds.  This is a terrible shot, but not the crux of the story.

Buddy finds the owner somehow and provides name and phone so he can repair the damage.  The guy calls him back and leaves him a voicemail we listen to a few times a year.  It was an older gentleman who had lived there for 30 years and "in all the years he has lived there this has never happened and what kind of shot was that?".  Most of the voicemail was a slow drawl going on not about the broken window, but how bad the shot was and how flabbergasted he was that it happened.   Window was fixed for $75 and all is good.

Kind of similar story, and not one I witnessed.  I got paired up with a couple of guys at my home course and we got to chatting.  We get to the 5th tee and one of the guys tells the story of his partner (the other guy with us) snap hooking his tee shot through a window of a house on the left.  The owner came out and they exchanged info so he could pay for the repairs.  The guy never called, but the next time they were playing, the owner happened to be outside.  The guy who broke the window went over to talk to him, and the owner was giving him the stink eye and grumbling.  Apparently the owner was OK (relatively) with the window, but the event got his wife to thinking that they should just replace all the windows in the house.  So this guys is out tens of thousands of dollars to replace every window.

• Haha 1

18th hole at a 'nice' course here in FL.  I laser the flag at 80 yards and decide to hit a stock sand wedge.  There's a wedding ceremony going on directly behind and to the right of the green.  The main building is about 30 yards behind the hole.  I'm a walking single, and I notice that a lot of people are watching me, so I don't really notice what I did wrong here until it was too late.

I hit my shot, pured it right at the flag, do a little club twirl and then I start to notice that it's going to be long... WAY long.  It bounces off the concrete a couple yards in front of some old bag, presumably the bride or groom's mom, and launches about 80' into the air and on top of the clubhouse.  Everyone is looking at me like I just tried to kick a puppy.

Apparently I was a little off with the aim of my laser and got the building instead of the flag, and in my haste to get the heck out of there it didn't even dawn on my that this was actually a 50 yard shot, not 80.  Woops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Cousin said:

Kind of similar story, and not one I witnessed.  I got paired up with a couple of guys at my home course and we got to chatting.  We get to the 5th tee and one of the guys tells the story of his partner (the other guy with us) snap hooking his tee shot through a window of a house on the left.  The owner came out and they exchanged info so he could pay for the repairs.  The guy never called, but the next time they were playing, the owner happened to be outside.  The guy who broke the window went over to talk to him, and the owner was giving him the stink eye and grumbling.  Apparently the owner was OK (relatively) with the window, but the event got his wife to thinking that they should just replace all the windows in the house.  So this guys is out tens of thousands of dollars to replace every window.

that's a nightmare 

Callaway Epic Max LS Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist Tsi2 3 Wood Tensei Raw White 75 S

Mizuno HMB 2 Iron Tour AD DI-95 Hybrid S

Mizuno 921 Forged 4-P DG S300

SM6 50, Project X Rifle 6.0

SM8 54, DG S200 Wedge Flex

SM7 58, DG S200 Wedge Flex

Bettinardi STUDIO STOCK 28 ARMLOCK PUTTER 41"

Two come to mind.  One I heard second hand.

1: My dad told me this story of a guy he knows.  This guy was golfing with his buddies, Cart is parked 90* toe-side from the tee blocks.  Guy is sitting on the side of the cart seat watching, legs spread.   Buddy tees up, takes a mighty cut, almost misses completely inside the ball.   Now, when I say almost, it's because the very toe of the head caught about one dimple of ball, sending the ball rocketing 90* off, straight into cart-seating dude's nuts.  That ended his day.

2: My personal best (worst) - I was playing a fun scramble tournament years back at a 9-hole course in town that has an island par-3 (Screenshot from Earth below).  It plays about 118, so you're hitting anything from wedge to probably 8-9i for the weaker hitter.  This hole had a sponsored giveaway: gift card to the best shot in each group, and gift card to the worst.  I'm last in the group.  1st guy tees up, comes up short, water.   2nd guy tees up, hits the green.  3rd guy tees up, pulls hard, hard left and probably missed the green by 50 yards.  Assuming that I couldn't possibly do worse, the giveaway guy laughs at this shot, as says something like "Pretty sure that will be the winner" and gives him the gift card.  My turn.  I grab my gap wedge which was usually my 120 club at the time.  Take my shot, blade the *#*@ out of it, hit a giant low slicey rocket carrying over the green, over the water behind it, nestling into the tall grass well beyond the green.  Thing probably went 160-170 in the wrong direction.    Giveaway guy grabs the gift card out of player #3's hands, gives it to me.  No more needed to be said.

image.png.16fe8de2d3015aa00f378afe2853ab31.png

• Haha 2

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

On 11/23/2021 at 9:37 AM, Haroputt said:

Not worse shot but funny.  In the driving range and sudden see lower part of a driver fly about 25 yards   It looked that a guy snapped the head of driver and it flew down the driving range.  
He waved at people to stop hitting ball and ran down the field get his club 
must have been embarrassing as everyone stopped and watched him run to get his club. 

haha, I've actually done that.   I had my 3w re-shafted, so took it out to the range.  Off a tee, everything was great.  Started hitting off the deck, and caught one a little fat and the head just rockets about 30y down range.   Luckily there were only about 5 people there, so wasn't hard to get everyone's attention.  

Honestly, wasn't embarassing.  The Expoxy had failed, so shaft was good, head was good, things happen.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

I golf with him 2 to 3 times a year he is my Brother in Law. It is painful to watch, funny at time also. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I have two that I still see as if they were yesterday…..lol of course one was 30 years ago and the other earlier this week.🙄

First one was in a pro am at my old home club.  It was one of the biggest events of the year for the local ams and club pros and has been won by the likes of Tom Lehman and Erik van Rooyen.  Friend of mine…a 4 handicap at the time was so nervous off the first tee his “ drive” was hit so far off the heel it actually squirted between his legs and into bushes beside the tee box!

The most recent was a 10 cap friend just the other day.   He hit his tee shot on a 190 yard hole so thin that it hit the stone tee markers for the tees a dozen or so yards up from ours. Ricocheted just about straight backwards and slammed into my golf cart beside the tee box.  

Needless to say, but I will anyways , nervous laughter ensued both times.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It was only the worst cuz the result was so different from my expectation. 

First tee of my local course. Waiting on the group in front to tee off. I'm staring at this guys golf bag in the cart in front of me. Here's what i saw 

Titleist leather tour bag (one of shiny JDM ones that are like $750 on ebay). Dudes got his name on the pocket. Everything in there is brand new. All titleist. Custom Leather headcovers - even on the alignment sticks. I think the irons were AP2's. Tour issue scotty headcover and i assume Circle T putter. I see the guy - decked out head to toe in Footjoy and it was from the just released season. And of course - Wingtip footjoys. So i'm just sitting there like "this guy brought like $10 grand with him to the course in gear"

SO i'm thinking - "this guy might actually be a professional" - maybe a Web.com tour player or something. 

And before he completed 50% of his backswing i immediately went "oh nope....he's just a rich 25 handicap".  Dude proceeds to hit his first tee shot at a 45 degree angle to the right about 23 feet. Second ball. Third ball. Fourth ball ( i assume all prov1x's ) all low left. Last shot (which was teed up approximately 6 inches off the ground) he thins (somehow) about 205 down the fairway (leaving him a smooth gap wedge from 190 left). Immediatley does a club twirl and goes "there it is.. i got it now" and speeds off in his cart. I've never wanted to play in a group for money so badly 

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

PBFU that entailed a topped a drive that created such backspin that the ball dove into the ground 1-2’ forward,  hopped backwards and then fiercely rolled backwards to the cut line at the back of the tee box. The ground action looked like a pro’s wedge. The perpetrator proceeded to then go driver of the deck. Lots of laughter