Da 2021 thread of da college fooball

bscinstnct

10 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Like Iowa's defense throttling MSU in a 49-7 romp last year.

Iowa, MSU, Michigan - plenty of teams understand defense is still the foundation of "winning" in the modern era.

You parsed my original comment, thereby missing the sardonic point that was being made.  A zero offensive TD game is considered exciting football.  The storyline being dominating D is back.  No, it was boring.  A similar game in the B1G would be classified as a quaint anachronism.  In the modern, offensively minded era of "light up the scoreboard" style of play.  

Of course, playing stout D is still relevant to winning FB games.  Especially when venturing into hostile environments like Kinnick, Camp Randall, Spartan, Ohio, Beaver, Michigan Stadiums in late November.  When climatic conditions turn cold, blustery and miserable.  When stopping the other team from scoring provides the best opportunity to realize a W in those locales and conditions.  

Yeah, I seem to recall the thrashing from last year.  Also remember a hard fought and exciting W in the '15 B1G 'Ship game as well.  And something about a double OT loss to the Hawkeyes at Spartan Stadium back in '12.  And redemption in a second half shutout 26-14 win at Kinnick back in '13.

Surmising you may remember this:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

On 9/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, deadsolid...shank said:

Seems like it’s always a good game between MSU and Nebraska. Personally, I wasn’t as impressed by my Huskers against Oklahoma as many were. Still way too many mental mistakes and undisciplined play to beat a decent team. Oklahoma didn’t look to me like a top five team. QB Rattler is way too inconsistent. I’m guessing MSU by a couple TDs. 

Very fortunate to get a W in the game.  Outplayed by the Huskers, especially in the second half.  The Spartan's big play offense couldn't do anything against a stout UNL defense.  Zero 1st downs (until OT), barely touched the ball in the second half.  Time of Possession differential was huge.  Martinez is a really good QB.  One mistake in OT proved costly.  The Huskers always give the Spartans a tough game.  They played much better than the record indicates.   

But aspiring "good" teams find a way to win.  Somehow.  Make an opportunistic special teams play (punt return for TD).  The INT in OT.  Bust off the longest run of the day to get into FG position.  Got lucky.  Need some of it over the course of a season.  

Good luck to the Huskers rest of the season.  There's a certain team visiting Lincoln on 10/9 that you can pound on.  I'll be a Husker fan on the day.   

Clemson...Adios Dabo.  OU...Their record isn't passing the sniff test.  The ND hype train is picking up steam...need a derailment.  Iowa?.....Guess will find out on 10/9 v. PSU.  Tide & Dawgs...everyone else is part of the field.  

• Like 1

Down goes Oregon.  Down goes Florida.  Down goes ND.  

Alabama & Georgia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the field.  Collision course.  

If Cincinnati runs the table (totally possible), would an AAC school be allowed in?  I think not.  The powers that be will hang them up no better than 5th.  

Iowa enters the Gang of Four.

Could four B1G teams (Iowa, OSU, PSU, UMAA) be in the Top 10?  Possibly.  

Spartans win.  Good.  Allowing 488 (!) passing yards, very not so good.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Almost dropped my phone when I saw Alabama dropped all the way to 5! Sure the teams above them are all undefeated. But no way are a few of them better than Bama. 

5E1C6F75-AACF-438C-AAFE-37289A689E4D.jpeg

Yeah, those rankings are ridiculous - as they most often are. College football is always going to be something of a popularity contest.

Very disappointed in the showing my Tigers put up against UGA this weekend. I figured they'd lose, but 34-10 is a bit more of a shellacking than I anticipated. Bo Nix remains difficult to predict. Money one week, nothing the next. Hard to figure. 

All I know is that they've got one more season to get the most of out of him. Hopefully they figure it out.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Wasn't all that surprised Alabama dropped to 5th.  The pollster's slap on the wrist for losing to A & M.  They still control their own destiny though, just that their margin for error is now zero.  Could see a SEC champ Alabama and a 1 loss Georgia, especially if the 'ship game is close, making the CFP4.  

What I did find surprising was Cincinnati jumping two spots to 3rd (AP).  They're having a good season, keep posting W's, and have the ND W on their resume.  Good chance they will win out, with only SMU in their way.  But non-P5 is a problem.  Assuming Oklahoma is still not passing the sniff test.  But have to reward them by virtue of a being a P5 school, a brand,  and undefeated.  All this being a "what have you done for me lately" contest (tOSU 3 spots higher than the Ducks) with the pundits.  Some clarity begins once the CFP Committee releases its first ranking on 11/2.  And SOS enters into the equation.  

Iowa is certainly deserving, quality win against PSU.  Don't know if there's ever been 5 B1G teams in the Top 10 at this point of the season before.  All the big games still lie ahead in the B1G East.  PSU, OSU, MSU, UM have yet to play one another.   My Spartans right in the mix, something I did not envision prior to the start of the season.  With a potential HUGE game shaping up against a possible 7-0 UMAA @ 7-0 MSU on 10/30.  Assuming the Spartans tcb @ IU this Saturday, then two weeks to prep.  One game at a time.  

The alleged Tennessee Volunteer "fans" that took part in the disgusting debacle that took place at the end of the game at Neyland Stadium tonight against Ole Miss suck. Completely embarrassing. WTF were those a'holes thinking? Explains why UT fans are generally considered the worst fan base in college football.

While it won't happen the SEC and the university president should shut down the football program for the rest of the season at a minimum. Doesn't matter how much the alleged "fan" base doesn't care for Lane Kiffin. Act like adults.

Stay classy Knoxville.  

• Sad 1

Hey LSU.  Keep your grubby SEC paws off HC Mel Tucker.  Rumors are circulating.  He's ours (for the time being).  Dan Gilbert (filthy rich alum), you may have to make it rain a bit in CMT's direction.  Nothing like a few extra $$ to make one feel wanted.  

Spartans win.  Good, but a real test of their resolve.  Good teams find a way to win, even when they are not on their game (thanks to the D).  The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Two weeks off to decompress, rest up heal up, practice to work on some things that need addressing.  Prep for the home stretch against the B1G east power players.  Focus on the "kinda big" next game 10/30 against the Walvies.  

"What Now"?  Which was the question asked by MT, when trailing at halftime Saturday.  The answer all lies unexpectedly before them.    

On 10/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, grm24 said:

The alleged Tennessee Volunteer "fans" that took part in the disgusting debacle that took place at the end of the game at Neyland Stadium tonight against Ole Miss suck. Completely embarrassing. WTF were those a'holes thinking? Explains why UT fans are generally considered the worst fan base in college football.

While it won't happen the SEC and the university president should shut down the football program for the rest of the season at a minimum. Doesn't matter how much the alleged "fan" base doesn't care for Lane Kiffin. Act like adults.

Stay classy Knoxville.  

i can assure you ... they are not "alleged" fans ... they are real ut fans ... no reason to think they are anything but ... 

3 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Georgia will definitely win out in the regular season. They play nobody. But will falter in the playoffs like they typically do. 41 years now w/o a NC?

Damn, one of those "nobodies" is Auburn - who are a schizophrenic team that isn't having the greatest year...but they ain't no slouch either. In an annual grudge match like that, anything can happen. 

Having said that, I agree that UGA is looking like the team to beat. 

or
or

16 minutes ago, jholz said:

Damn, one of those "nobodies" is Auburn - who are a schizophrenic team that isn't having the greatest year...but they ain't no slouch either. In an annual grudge match like that, anything can happen. 

Having said that, I agree that UGA is looking like the team to beat. 

They already played and beat Auburn October 9th. I’m talking remaining games. And I don’t care where Alabama is ranked right now (4th). They are the best team in college FB IMO.

FBB36A6A-CBCE-402A-A5E5-066473C41696.jpeg

Edited by TiScape

13 hours ago, TiScape said:

They already played and beat Auburn October 9th. I’m talking remaining games. And I don’t care where Alabama is ranked right now (4th). They are the best team in college FB IMO.

FBB36A6A-CBCE-402A-A5E5-066473C41696.jpeg

Oh crap, you're right. You can see how my life is going these days. Fantasies fueled by delusions bolstered by senility. At least I've managed to keep my kids are alive and haven't burned down my house yet.

• Haha 1

or
or

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 7:03 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

Hey LSU.  Keep your grubby SEC paws off HC Mel Tucker.  Rumors are circulating.  He's ours (for the time being).  Dan Gilbert (filthy rich alum), you may have to make it rain a bit in CMT's direction.  Nothing like a few extra $$ to make one feel wanted.  

Spartans win.  Good, but a real test of their resolve.  Good teams find a way to win, even when they are not on their game (thanks to the D).  The bye week couldn't have come at a better time. Two weeks off to decompress, rest up heal up, practice to work on some things that need addressing.  Prep for the home stretch against the B1G east power players.  Focus on the "kinda big" next game 10/30 against the Walvies.  

"What Now"?  Which was the question asked by MT, when trailing at halftime Saturday.  The answer all lies unexpectedly before them.    

Holy! Mich vs. Mich State on here in NY!

Just tuned in at 7 minutes left 1st half, looks like a great game, you must be bouncing off the walls; )

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 3:08 AM, Fellaheen51 said:

You parsed my original comment, thereby missing the sardonic point that was being made.  A zero offensive TD game is considered exciting football.  The storyline being dominating D is back.  No, it was boring.  A similar game in the B1G would be classified as a quaint anachronism.  In the modern, offensively minded era of "light up the scoreboard" style of play.  

Of course, playing stout D is still relevant to winning FB games.  Especially when venturing into hostile environments like Kinnick, Camp Randall, Spartan, Ohio, Beaver, Michigan Stadiums in late November.  When climatic conditions turn cold, blustery and miserable.  When stopping the other team from scoring provides the best opportunity to realize a W in those locales and conditions.  

Yeah, I seem to recall the thrashing from last year.  Also remember a hard fought and exciting W in the '15 B1G 'Ship game as well.  And something about a double OT loss to the Hawkeyes at Spartan Stadium back in '12.  And redemption in a second half shutout 26-14 win at Kinnick back in '13.

Surmising you may remember this:

MSU huge win today, Iowa huge loss. Advantage Sparty! 

• Like 1

OMG!!!  I'm. Totally. Spent.  KW3!!!  Played some D when we had to.  Coach Tuck's boys don't quit.  

Spartans Will.  

"What's Next?"  We have a whole lot of unfinished business before us.  

photo-thumb-284154.jpg.f96294e0d297cfaeacf5dd2d3658095c.jpg

• Like 1