How good for homeschooling?

PGA HERO

10 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I think you may be overstating the number of elite golfers that go to non traditional schools. I took a quick look at the UT men’s team. Of the 11 it appears 10 of them went to a traditional high school, some private and some public. The reason I say 10 is because one student is from Mexico and I am unfamiliar with their schools.

edit: this is at first glance. Someone with better details of Texas high schools may be able to chime in and add some insight.  2 of them went to Plano West (traditional public), 2 Kincaid (prep school), Memorial High School (traditional public, Highland Park (traditional public), Arlington Heights (traditional public), and 2 others from Texas that also appear to be public. 1 did go to a private baptist school. 

it would be interesting to check this out at other top D1 programs. I would be willing to guess the large majority did not come from an “elite golf academy” or were home schooled. 

Kids from FL, CA, TX and AZ don't necessarily need to go to a private school or academy to go to college and play, as golf is so abundant and competitive there.  Texas, much like Florida State and Florida, can easily field a golf team with mostly kids from in-state and neighboring areas like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama and Georgia.  But still, even these schools will grab international kids (some, attending golf/sports academies for high school) to round out their roster for various reasons. 

Let's look at the female side of this, which is what Tiger is likely looking at.

If you look at the women's team at FSU, you will find there are two girls from England, one from South Africa and one from Sweden.   Texas, similar story--one prep school girl schooled in Orlando area from China, a sports academy girl from Progue and a girl from Quebec.   Similar story for University of Florida, who have girls from Sweden, Spain, Italy and England on the team.

Moving on from Florida's best D1 programs, let's look at UCF.  The women's team has one girl from Florida.  The rest are from Thailand, Mexico, England and France (x2).  USF is slightly better, fielding three FL girls and a girl from NY... and girls from Portugal, Myanmar, and Columbia (x2).

The theme here is it's difficult to go D1 in golf for local girls.  While I agree that girls don't need to be homeschooled to be good at golf, or even sent to an academy, parents who invest a metric ton of time and money into their daughter's golf game are likely to do whatever they can to give their daughter an advantage in regards to making school as time efficient as possible and congruent with golf time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Of course not. I would tell them not to do it for dance or music. 😂. Sorry, couldn’t help myself. 

In all seriousness, no one knows your child and their wants and needs better  than you do. I will also say, if the decision doesn’t work out you can always make a change down the line. 

I posited the question because all you've ever heard is that athletes should "stay in school."  Basketball players etc., even with the money basically being guaranteed, there are people who say that.  But a dancer or a musician, no one says a peep about them dropping out of school.  I was curious to see if that attitude was prevalent here with homeschooling.  

As I said, I don't think I would consider it a good idea for golf to be the reason to homeschool.  Was just curious what impact the context had on people's thought process. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:22 AM, tiger1873 said:

Are you talking tournament golf or are talking about working in golf or using golf as  tool for business.   

There are a lot jobs in Golf in general especially when you talk about Club Pros, Teaching Pro's and Equipment reps. Even more if you talk about maintenance.   Add in the fact that you could play a lot golf in certain business situations (which being a good player matters) the odds of making money off of golf is very high.

I understand what you are saying but you don't have be winning the weekly PGA pro to make money in golf.  Many of the kids who play junior golf may not end up on tour but they do end up making good money in the business of golf.

Off playing golf. Yes you can work in the golf industry as a teacher or at a course but that is not relevant to people pulling their kids out of school to "work on their game". Thought that was pretty obvious Tiger. I don't think any of the knuckleheads ripping their kids out of school to homeschool for golf see Proshop Manager as the goal. 

A lot of what you just mentioned is even more dependent on a solidly built educational foundation, not a half homeschool half practice golf all day attitude. Pulling your kid to homeschool for the purpose of golf is a single sum gamble. You are not approaching that for any other reason than to be a professional and when that doesn't happen, as it most likely won't, your options will be very slim if you have not had the solid educational foundation to fall back on which if your intention was for golf you most likely will not.  

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Off playing golf. Yes you can work in the golf industry as a teacher or at a course but that is not relevant to people pulling their kids out of school to "work on their game". Thought that was pretty obvious Tiger. I don't think any of the knuckleheads ripping their kids out of school to homeschool for golf see Proshop Manager as the goal. 

A lot of what you just mentioned is even more dependent on a solidly built educational foundation, not a half homeschool half practice golf all day attitude. Pulling your kid to homeschool for the purpose of golf is a single sum gamble. You are not approaching that for any other reason than to be a professional and when that doesn't happen, as it most likely won't, your options will be very slim if you have not had the solid educational foundation to fall back on which if your intention was for golf you most likely will not.  

I am not sure about that especially with international kids.  If you live in China where golf is growing a lot. It is very good to be be playing in the US at a high level it can be a ticket to a nice life.  What seems like an average middle class lifestyle here may be out reach to a lot average people in other country's. So they do things that may seem irrational to us.

Even in the US  Normal non touring PGA Pro's who have been successful at the amateur level tend to make decent money.  I said what I said because people assume the only way to make a nice living in golf is being a touring pro. Some pga club pro's out there make 6 figures and can't break 80 on a regular basis.

Edited by tiger1873

22 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I am not sure about that especially with international kids.  If you live in China where golf is growing a lot. It is very good to be be playing in the US at a high level it can be a ticket to a nice life.  What seems like an average middle class lifestyle here may be out reach to a lot average people in other country's. So they do things that may seem irrational to us.

Even in the US  Normal non touring PGA Pro's who have been successful at the amateur level tend to make decent money.  I said what I said because people assume the only way to make a nice living in golf is being a touring pro. Some pga club pro's out there make 6 figures and can't break 80 on a regular basis.

So we have "academies" popping up in Canada(hockey focused primarily, but hoops is in there as well) where among their selling points is their "flexible schedule."  I do wonder where this falls on the scale of good/no good.

25 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So we have "academies" popping up in Canada(hockey focused primarily, but hoops is in there as well) where among their selling points is their "flexible schedule."  I do wonder where this falls on the scale of good/no good.

Who knows if any of these sports academies are worth their money. Some of the better kids have tons of talent to begin with.  I know IMG looks like it is pretty nice school.  The kids are really nice and seem to work hard and they generally all seem interested in sports.  I seen others where it seems like a money mill and best to avoid.  I can't see me sending my kid away to school but I can see why some feel the need to do that.

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

You are entirely missing the point. Those guys most likely have decent educations to back up their golf know how. Most PGA Tour Pros have at least some college experience if not a degree. You mentioned maintenance, you do realize agronomy is a serious endeavor and a college degree?

If you are pulling your kid out of school to homeschool based on their "talent" in golf you don't give two craps about education and I guarantee you that you will not see a positive educational impact on that child that will extremely limit their prospects. You can try to sugarcoat it all you want Tiger but you are not going to find a positive to this. If you homeschool your kid based on golf you are setting them up for failure, simple as that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

You are entirely missing the point. Those guys most likely have decent educations to back up their golf know how. Most PGA Tour Pros have at least some college experience if not a degree. You mentioned maintenance, you do realize agronomy is a serious endeavor and a college degree?

If you are pulling your kid out of school to homeschool based on their "talent" in golf you don't give two craps about education and I guarantee you that you will not see a positive educational impact on that child that will extremely limit their prospects. You can try to sugarcoat it all you want Tiger but you are not going to find a positive to this. If you homeschool your kid based on golf you are setting them up for failure, simple as that. 

Calm down it doesn't matter what you or I think about homeschool.  It's a right people have and personally I don;'t care where someone sends their kid to school.

I know of a few parents who homeschool their kids have no clue if it's for golf or the fact there an extremely close knit family. All I can say it does seem to work for them and their kids golf game seems to benefit.   I think it something that people need to explore on their own.  

As for Agronomy needing a college education. Some the best course maintenance workers out there at the finest clubs can not speak much english.  You need a degree because your selling fertilizer.

24 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Calm down it doesn't matter what you or I think about homeschool.  It's a right people have and personally I don;'t care where someone sends their kid to school.

I know of a few parents who homeschool their kids have no clue if it's for golf or the fact there an extremely close knit family. All I can say it does seem to work for them and their kids golf game seems to benefit.   I think it something that people need to explore on their own.  

As for Agronomy needing a college education. Some the best course maintenance workers out there at the finest clubs can not speak much english.  You need a degree because your selling fertilizer.

The question is not about the good or bad of homeschooling, we know where you come down on that topic Tiger. The question was homeschooling specifically for golf Tiger. Your anecdotal experience with your friends really doesn't matter. 

39 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

The question is not about the good or bad of homeschooling, we know where you come down on that topic Tiger. The question was homeschooling specifically for golf Tiger. Your anecdotal experience with your friends really doesn't matter. 

If we are talking about golf the truth is  Homeschool with access to a course means the odds are they will get better at golf. Can't deny the advantage these kids have too.   

The parents  who do this also will do anything for their kids to make it and failure is not an option.  They don't have a plan b and if they need one they will figure it out along the way.  The mentality is very common among elite athletes too.

I am guessing more than a few juniors out there chose this path and it worked out for them too.  Right or wrong it not up to any of us to tell them they shouldn't either.

Edited by tiger1873

51 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

If we are talking about golf the truth is  Homeschool with access to a course means the odds are they will get better at golf. Can't deny the advantage these kids have too.   

The parents  who do this also will do anything for their kids to make it and failure is not an option.  They don't have a plan b and if they need one they will figure it out along the way.  The mentality is very common among elite athletes too.

I am guessing more than a few juniors out there chose this path and it worked out for them too.  Right or wrong it not up to any of us to tell them they shouldn't either.

Failure is always an option and always a likelihood when you are banking on a sport as a professional, income sustaining career. No one is denying they have an advantage, doesn't mean what they are doing for their kids is the right thing. Half the time the money you spend homeschooling or private schooling you could afford a home in a part of town with a great public school, also its an investment you actually get your money back on. Further, the private and public schools have better options for scholarships with trained counselors and already established connections with colleges and universities but no we don't want to think about plausible reality. Instead certain people convince themselves that homeschooling and turning their child into a golf robot will magically be the yellow brick road to a pot of gold. So to answer the posters question, unless your kid is a nationally top ranked stud of studs and generational talent it is probably a good idea to bury this idea of homeschooling for golf as far deep in your brain as you can and forget about it.

Also for context and since this board loves anecdotal evidence the #2 JGS boy and a top 5 JGS kid from last year are from my state and both attend/attended high performing public schools and seem to be doing just dandy considering one is at Vanderbilt, which gives him one heck of a leg up for future success in any phase of life, and the other won the US Junior Amateur. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Failure is always an option and always a likelihood when you are banking on a sport as a professional, income sustaining career. No one is denying they have an advantage, doesn't mean what they are doing for their kids is the right thing. Half the time the money you spend homeschooling or private schooling you could afford a home in a part of town with a great public school, also its an investment you actually get your money back on. Further, the schools have better options for scholarships with trained counselors and already established connections with colleges and universities but no we don't want to think about plausible reality. Instead certain people convince themselves that homeschooling and turning their child into a golf robot will magically be the yellow brick road to a pot of gold. So to answer the posters question, unless your kid is a nationally top ranked stud of studs and generational talent it is probably a good idea to bury this idea of homeschooling for golf as far deep in your brain as you can and forget about it.

Also for context and since this board loves anecdotal evidence the #2 JGS boy and a top 5 JGS kid from last year are from my state and both attend/attended high performing public schools and seem to be doing just dandy considering one is at Vanderbilt, which gives him one heck of a leg up for future success in any phase of life, and the other won the US Junior Amateur. 

'

You a teacher aren't you????  What you just wrote is why people seek alternative education.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

If we are talking about golf the truth is  Homeschool with access to a course means the odds are they will get better at golf and that gives those kids a leg up. If your goal for your kid to be a PGA tour player then then homes school makes sense.    I also don't think those kids care about education or anything else other then making it too. 

It doesn't make sense...  at all, to home school to be a PGA/LPGA touring professional.  Some parents will lead you to believe this, and it couldn't be further from the truth.  The best D1 programs try to stay away from the Homeschooled kid.  Patrick Reed is about the only one on tour that I can think of off the top of my head that was home schooled.  Tiger?  Flat No.  DJ?  Nope.  Brooks, Bryson, JT, Spieth, Finau, Morikawa, Xander, Cantlay, Berger, English, Scottie? Nope, the entire US Ryder Cup team went to traditional school.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

5 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

'

You a teacher aren't you????  What you just wrote is why people seek alternative education.

What about what I just wrote makes people seek alternative education?

Homeschooling without proper reasoning and preparation is insanity. If you are doing it for golf you aren't doing it for the right reason, you are conflating education and sports which is ridiculous Tiger and taking your child away from trained professionals and support systems to focus on a sport. I am not saying all public schools are perfect but if you think you can homeschool without proper prep and receive the support and guidance you get from a high performing public or private school you are kidding yourself. I applaud homeschool parents who get into it for the RIGHT reasons, and take the RIGHT preparation and plans but if you are doing it for golf guess where you focus will be Tiger? On GOLF not your child's education. You can't confuse that. If you homeschool for golf you will make the compromises that best suit golf not the child's education. There are amazing private schools out there and I commend people who send their kids to those private schools if they do want an alternative as well. You are so defensive over the fact that you homeschool that you are taking the fact that I say homeschooling for golf is asinine as an attack on all homeschooling and alternative education and it is not. When done correctly homeschooling or private education is a worthwhile option but there is never a situation where doing it for golf is the right answer. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11

We are going to homeschool so that neither of our kids have any friends, get burned out on our dreams, have the social skills of a bucket of paint and resent us once they move out.  We’ll likely also solve all their life problems up until they leave so they have to rely on us to make toast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

42 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

It doesn't make sense...  at all, to home school to be a PGA/LPGA touring professional.  Some parents will lead you to believe this, and it couldn't be further from the truth.  The best D1 programs try to stay away from the Homeschooled kid.  Patrick Reed is about the only one on tour that I can think of off the top of my head that was home schooled.  Tiger?  Flat No.  DJ?  Nope.  Brooks, Bryson, JT, Spieth, Finau, Morikawa, Xander, Cantlay, Berger, English, Scottie? Nope, the entire US Ryder Cup team went to traditional school.

I love it when you back up your posts with straight facts.  Tiger needs to do the same.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

We are going to homeschool so that neither of our kids have any friends, get burned out on our dreams, have the social skills of a bucket of paint and resent us once they move out.  We’ll likely also solve all their life problems up until they leave so they have to rely on us to make toast. 

Gotta love stereotypes.

• Like 1

A few years ago I was against homeschooling.     With what I have seen and learned over the last year or 2, if I had a younger child I would consider it.   

we had 2 local girls who were homeschooled for their entire high school years.   1 is now a freshman at a high level D1 program, they other is a senior who has offers from every major program and can play wherever she wants.    

Not saying it’s the right move , but have seen 2 examples where it worked out.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Not saying I agree or disagree with the second point but I am very curious. Is there any evidence to back this up? “Non normal touring pros who have been successful at the amateur level tend to make decent money?”   Like actual facts or statistics. Not just, well the top tier + caps at my club and the guys I know all make decent money. 

edit: if in fact it is true, I would be willing to guess that their financial success would be due to their college degree and line of work more than golf ability. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Not saying I agree or disagree with the second point but I am very curious. Is there any evidence to back this up? “Non normal touring pros who have been successful at the amateur level tend to make decent money?”   Like actual facts or statistics. Not just, well the top tier + caps at my club and the guys I know all make decent money. 

edit: if in fact it is true, I would be willing to guess that their financial success would be due to their college degree and line of work more than golf ability. 

Quite a few club pros make 150-200k a year at private clubs and they are not even great players.   You don’t even have to win anything or be that great.  Many private clubs have very public financial records that disclose the pga pro’s salaries.    Someone who had a little success on the amature circuit and didn’t make the cut pro should be able to find a club to make a living with an above average salary. 

Edited by tiger1873
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Quite a few club pros make 150-200k a year at private clubs and they are not even great players.   You don’t even have to win anything or be that great.  Many private clubs have very public financial records that disclose the pga pro’s salaries.    Someone who had a little success on the amature circuit and didn’t make the cut pro should be able to find a club to make a living with an above average salary. 

175K ish to work at a golf club and not really play golf (well)?

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Umm Club pro's don't make that kind of change at all. Maybe a few but that is FARRR from normal. Lets say you're right (very doubtful) you're now talking about 1% of club pros. I used to work at a golf course in my young 20's trust me club pros don't make money like that. 

• Like 1

Funny every club pro I know makes a decent middle class income but they sure aren't racking in six figures and oh yeah, they all played college golf and were not trying to be the next Rory or Michelle Wie. 

• Like 1

All of you saying "I know a homeschool kid who did this or this or that" that is wonderful. That is not what this post is about! This post is about people homeschooling with golf as the main directive, I seriously doubt your examples were going that directive. This thread is not bashing or doubting the ability of families to provide a good education homeschooling, it absolutely can be done, it is calling into question the sanity of gambling your kids education on trying to turn them into a golfing machine while completely flipping their educational lives upside down and turning the priority from education then golf to golf then education. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

So no, no actual facts that show they make more money. I get it, we all know a guy somewhere that proves what we are claiming. 

To counter your anecdote, I’ll provide you with another one. I know double figure assistant pros who are much better at golf than the head pro and are all making 28-35k. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

All of you saying "I know a homeschool kid who did this or this or that" that is wonderful. That is not what this post is about! This post is about people homeschooling with golf as the main directive, I seriously doubt your examples were going that directive. This thread is not bashing or doubting the ability of families to provide a good education homeschooling, it absolutely can be done, it is calling into question the sanity of gambling your kids education on trying to turn them into a golfing machine while completely flipping their educational lives upside down and turning the priority from education then golf to golf then education. 

The 2 examples I have were for golf, and both have resulted in D1 scholarships at good schools.    I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I only know of 2 junior golfers who did that , and it worked out for both.  

8 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

I don't disagree with your pov. Been around youth sports enough and have seen plenty of things across the spectrum. Important that the motor of passion resides with the kid. Nurture that, don't feed your own. That's where this stuff goes wrong. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darter79 said:

Umm Club pro's don't make that kind of change at all. Maybe a few but that is FARRR from normal. Lets say you're right (very doubtful) you're now talking about 1% of club pros. I used to work at a golf course in my young 20's trust me club pros don't make money like that. 

I know quite few pro's that make this including the one at my club i've seen the financials and salary reports from other clubs.  Some club pro's have a very small salary but make a lot money off commissions from the course and their shop. Like any job salaries vary a lot. 

Some guys who teach also make a lot money but that is more about your business sense than a job.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

So no, no actual facts that show they make more money. I get it, we all know a guy somewhere that proves what we are claiming. 

To counter your anecdote, I’ll provide you with another one. I know double figure assistant pros who are much better at golf than the head pro and are all making 28-35k. 

Here is a country club in Houston. You can search pretty much any club that organized as a non profit and see the salarys.   Go ahead look around at a bunch of clubs. Some are higher some are less. But people are making decent money.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/611419562