How good for homeschooling?

PGA HERO

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

Here is a country club in Houston. You can search pretty much any club that organized as a non profit and see the salarys.   Go ahead look around at a bunch of clubs. Some are higher some are less. But people are making decent money.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/611419562

the golf cart superintendent makes $26,000 more than the CFO. 

that’s gotta be about the strangest thing i’ve ever seen. 

30 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

The CFO likely has a bonus heavy comp package.

Those are total comp figures.   It could be CFO joined later that year or due to country club politics they happen to tip the golf super a lot of money or do not value a CFO very much.

Edited by tiger1873

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

Here is a country club in Houston. You can search pretty much any club that organized as a non profit and see the salarys.   Go ahead look around at a bunch of clubs. Some are higher some are less. But people are making decent money.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/611419562

Apparently the median income for a head pro is about $55K

https://www.salary.com/research/salary/benchmark/head-golf-professional-salary

Edited by BFD3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, GolfSRQ said:

A few years ago I was against homeschooling.     With what I have seen and learned over the last year or 2, if I had a younger child I would consider it.   

we had 2 local girls who were homeschooled for their entire high school years.   1 is now a freshman at a high level D1 program, they other is a senior who has offers from every major program and can play wherever she wants.    

Not saying it’s the right move , but have seen 2 examples where it worked out.   

I think it is different for guys and girls.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:02 AM, PGA HERO said:

Sorry if this has been addressed but what are the thoughts here on homeschooling for sports development?

With the current pandemic situation in '20 - '21 my partner and I are thinking of pulling our teenager out of school to homeschool.

Benefits - more time to practice and play.  Makes traveling much much easier.  Hoping this correlates to a move up the JGS rankings.

Detriment - some peer and socialization issues?

I just want to know where this person went.  

Don't Feed The Trolls - I Am Zuri

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

I think it is different for guys and girls.

Having taken lessons from a highly regarded tennis coach in my area and discussing this topic, this is spot on.  While this isn't an exact description(the players are better than this), basically any girl who can keep the ball in can get a scholarship, whereas the boys have to be so good to even have a chance.  Title IX, for better or worse.  Golf has to be pretty much the same.

Although I think the international student phenomenon may need to be reined in, but that's a thread jack.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

All of you saying "I know a homeschool kid who did this or this or that" that is wonderful. That is not what this post is about! This post is about people homeschooling with golf as the main directive, I seriously doubt your examples were going that directive. This thread is not bashing or doubting the ability of families to provide a good education homeschooling, it absolutely can be done, it is calling into question the sanity of gambling your kids education on trying to turn them into a golfing machine while completely flipping their educational lives upside down and turning the priority from education then golf to golf then education. 

Just to confirm, do you feel the same way about someone pursuing dance, or a musician? 

1 minute ago, golfortennis said:

Just to confirm, do you feel the same way about someone pursuing dance, or a musician? 

Absolutely. If you homeschool your kid for reasons other than what is best for their educational well being you are doing it for the wrong reasons. The foundations laid in a quality public or private school education go far beyond adolescence and simple scholastic goals. When you homeschool for reasons other than what is best for them educationally you are taking the same logic as someone representing themselves in court. Are you going to diagnose yourself when you feel ill or go see your doctor? People think educators are disposable and it is ridiculous. You are under the guise that you can somehow do the job better than a trained professional who has training, resources, and experience.

Are there exceptions, of course; however, most of the people discussing this are going to quickly make major compromises to their child's education and social development in favor of a pursuit of something with a miniscule chance of long term success. Some would call me cynical I call it pragmatic in today's society. Oh what will we do today, work on this essay or go get 3 hours extra practice at the range? What do those compromises teach your child for their long term development? If you are homeschooling with a firm foundation in educational pedagogy, resources, and broad knowledge of the subjects than you are going in prepared but you need to understand to do the job with the same effectiveness of a high performing school you need to match the abilities of dozens of educators, do you really think that is possible?

Specifically for your question about dance and music. There are schools across the country, in every state, in every major city, that specifically cater to young students with exceptional talent and dedication to the arts in a setting that still affords them all of the advantages of schooling while also putting them with incredibly talented developers of fine arts talent. The best of both worlds. Instead of jumping to homeschooling why not look for the best environment for your child to flourish with the advantages that school provides?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Absolutely. If you homeschool your kid for reasons other than what is best for their educational well being you are doing it for the wrong reasons. The foundations laid in a quality public or private school education go far beyond adolescence and simple scholastic goals. When you homeschool for reasons other than what is best for them educationally you are taking the same logic as someone representing themselves in court. Are you going to diagnose yourself when you feel ill or go see your doctor? People think educators are disposable and it is ridiculous. You are under the guise that you can somehow do the job better than a trained professional who has training, resources, and experience.

Are there exceptions, of course; however, most of the people discussing this are going to quickly make major compromises to their child's education and social development in favor of a pursuit of something with a miniscule chance of long term success. Some would call me cynical I call it pragmatic in today's society. Oh what will we do today, work on this essay or go get 3 hours extra practice at the range? What do those compromises teach your child for their long term development? If you are homeschooling with a firm foundation in educational pedagogy, resources, and broad knowledge of the subjects than you are going in prepared but you need to understand to do the job with the same effectiveness of a high performing school you need to match the abilities of dozens of educators, do you really think that is possible?

Specifically for your question about dance and music. There are schools across the country, in every state, in every major city, that specifically cater to young students with exceptional talent and dedication to the arts in a setting that still affords them all of the advantages of schooling while also putting them with incredibly talented developers of fine arts talent. The best of both worlds. Instead of jumping to homeschooling why not look for the best environment for your child to flourish with the advantages that school provides?

TLDR: Just because mom squirted out a kid doesn’t qualify them to teach. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

53 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Some schools are pretty bad.  Years ago I did some volunteer work for a high school in Los Angeles. It wasn't even Compton but a regular school in the Valley.  I would never send my kid to that school. The kids literally talked the whole time and told all the teachers off.   Every see a a movie called Dangerous Minds????  It was like that.

There were a lot kids that shouldn't be there. The gifted schools are not that easy to get into either. Some the kids there were better off doing home school for sure.

Edited by tiger1873

45 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

1st paragraph is fine, the rest is an over sell and ignores basic realities of modern public education. You want 1st rate school in my county? Plan on doubling the cost of your already expensive house  to move to that idyllic town with great schools. Plan on going from $400K to $800K and neither is all that luxurious.

• Like 1