Mizuno Hot Metal Users Chime In...

Nessism

I played a set of 900 HM's before getting my 410's and really enjoyed them.  A friend showed up for a round the other day with some brand new 921 HM's and that renewed my lust.  They are smaller than the 410's and from what I remember about my 900's, they sound and feel better.

Reading info on the 921's and Mizuno touts the new thinner face.  I get it that a thin face can add distance but what does it do to feel and sound?  I don't care that much about distance but would like to improve on the sound/feel vs. my 410's which are clanky when missing the sweet spot.  Anyway, I'm interested in hearing how you guys are liking your HM irons these days.  I'm not interested in the Pro model, I like my GI irons to visually present a large profile, but you Pro lovers are free to offer your comments as well.

Thanks in advance.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

Can’t comment on straight hot metal, but I believe they are the same construction as the Hot Metal Pros. I had a fitting and took the demo 7 HMP to my range, and am in love with them mainly due to feel. Very soft feeling, but still fast. Not mushy at all, and the ball just jumps off the face. I have never found an iron that looks like the HMP and play so easy. Barely bigger than original T200 and less offset, coming from Titleist I like the rounded shape. Somewhat hard to pinpoint wear slight misses occur exactly, but you know when you catch it pure. Some of the the best feeling irons out there right now, no harshness or clank unless you really mis hit it. 

• Like 2

I have probably owned or hit every GI iron this year and the HMs and HMPs sound and feel the best. T300 was second. I think if you read the MyGolfSpys article on most wanted GI irons you'll see the feel of HMs was praised. Hope this helps. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

Get back to you Wednesday evening. Taken mine to the course then.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Got the hot metals pro over 2 years ago and I've never been able to get on with them. As they cost a bit I just carried on with them until a few weeks ago enough was enough, my old ping eye 2s are in the bag and they're just better in every way. Nowt wrong with the hot metals but the bonkers jacked up lofts were just driving me mad, the amount of times I've flown the green into trouble was really getting to me. If you want to hit a 6 iron stupid lengths then they're the sticks for you 

8 hours ago, scruffynick said:

Got the hot metals pro over 2 years ago and I've never been able to get on with them. As they cost a bit I just carried on with them until a few weeks ago enough was enough, my old ping eye 2s are in the bag and they're just better in every way. Nowt wrong with the hot metals but the bonkers jacked up lofts were just driving me mad, the amount of times I've flown the green into trouble was really getting to me. If you want to hit a 6 iron stupid lengths then they're the sticks for you 

That’s why I got rid of mine. I remember hitting a 9 iron in a tournament over the green into OB when I was like 140 yards out. We figured the ball went 160 yards. Can’t have that.

Hence why I have the i210’s in the bag. Just need consistent distances. I still get a chuckle when a couple of guys I play with have P790’s and can’t believe I’m hitting a 6 iron when they have 7 iron, I say “…but they’re essentially the same loft”. They just don’t get it. LOL

• Like 1

DRIVER - PING G425 MAX

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 MAX 5W

IRONS - PING i210 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT NEWPORT 2

I got the 919 HMs because they had better options in stock graphite shafts vs Ping. I had played Ping irons since 1986, so this was a big change. I have really enjoyed them. Very solid, and a bit longer than my previous set of Pings. That being said, I will look at Pings before deciding on my next set.

23 minutes ago, jbandalo said:

That’s why I got rid of mine. I remember hitting a 9 iron in a tournament over the green into OB when I was like 140 yards out. We figured the ball went 160 yards. Can’t have that.

It took me a while to learn how to gauge distance when I had my HM900's.  After getting used to them though, no problem.  20 yards of distance variation suggests a flyer.  Even forged blades will have this issue.  

Some people complain about the same thing with the G410's but never one time have I experienced this.  

4 minutes ago, Nessism said:

It took me a while to learn how to gauge distance when I had my HM900's.  After getting used to them though, no problem.  20 yards of distance variation suggests a flyer.  Even forged blades will have this issue.  

Some people complain about the same thing with the G410's but never one time have I experienced this.  

That’s just it. I’ve never had a single flyer with the i210’s. Not once. 

DRIVER - PING G425 MAX

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 MAX 5W

IRONS - PING i210 3-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 3.0 54 & 58

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SPECIAL SELECT NEWPORT 2

My 2 Cents...

Ive been playing Ping G30 s cfs reg for the past 6 yrs, also a picker

Picked up a set of g410's, cfs reg, after 1 range session on mats, found them to be clicky and hard feeling. I also know that Pings aren't good off mats, too much bounce ?  Didn't seem  worth replacing my g30's.  Sent them back the same day.

Picked up a set of Jpx 921 hot metals also, reg flex neo,  they seem to be softer , sound and feel. Nice boring trajectory, for me anyways. Keeping the 921's.......for now

Both the G410 and the 921 ( stronger lofts) were longer than my G30's

Edited by farfrompar

Have been playing 919 hot metals and a 919 forged gap wedge for a few years now. Extremely confident inspiring behind the ball, but not obnoxiously large club heads.  Personally, I think they feel great and perform very consistently.  I’ve never had any outrageous fliers out of any lies that were unexpected. Haven’t owned a set of ping irons since the G15 so can’t compare, but at least in demoing irons I much prefer the feel of the hot metals.  

• Like 1

I just moved from the G25’s to 919HM, and love the feeling. I think the G25’s are some of the best irons ever made, but wouldn’t be a wrx’r if I didn’t want something new.

the 919’s have a more penetrating flight, that could also be due to the shaft. Also lofts are higher, so my 7i goes what my G25 6i did (probably won’t have that problem coming from g410). But what I also noticed was toe strikes still got similar distance as a flush shot. So that is a positive when i miss strike I don’t see huge distance losses

4 hours ago, jbandalo said:

Hence why I have the i210’s in the bag. Just need consistent distances. I still get a chuckle when a couple of guys I play with have P790’s and can’t believe I’m hitting a 6 iron when they have 7 iron, I say “…but they’re essentially the same loft”. They just don’t get it. LOL

I was used to 150 yards was a solid hit 7 iron....hit an 8 the other week from that yardage miles over back into poo ☹️ I'm not that competitive as I get older but I was getting mifted off at hitting good shots with no reward. I prefer to hit it shorter....sounds strange but it's how I spent 30 years playing golf 

I have moved from MX300's to 921 HMPs and also tested the 921 Forged. For me the HMPs feel great - I admit I was shocked having played forged irons for 30+ years. No issue with silly distances either - they are slightly longer on pured shots but it is the consistent distance on non-pured shots that is great. It took me only a couple of rounds to get used to them. No issues with the odd long one here - yes you get can a flyer from the rough but that happened with previous sets also - not from the fairway.

• Like 1

Been playing some original TM Burner Plus irons for the last 13 years. Decided to get some new irons this year and got fitted for both the Sim 2 Max and the 921 HM as the two that worked the best for me. I went w the TMs just because they felt familiar. That said I played a couple rounds and was underwhelmed overall. Too familiar I guess. So swapped them for the 921s and I couldn’t be happier. The feel of a mizuno iron hit perfectly cannot be replicated. I was in love.

So I’ve played about ten rounds with them so far and I am used to the different lofts and distances now. It was about ten yards compared to my old technology TMs. I can live with that. 

• Like 2

I have the 919 HMP and just bought a set of i210s.  I like the Mizunos but I just want something to compare them with.  To me the HMP feel isn’t what I’m looking for.  I kicked around the idea of the Pings when I got the 919’s and I finally just bought a set to try out.  I will get out this week and compare.  Love the head size and offset.  Can’t even look down at the big crazy offset GI and SGI clubs. 

On 9/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, jbandalo said:

That's amazing. I play in Texas with Bermuda. I've played blades in the past all the way to these hm now that I don't play as much and i'm getting older. I've hit flyers with every club I've had. Not much you can do with grass between the ball and the face IMO. I would think every club would react the same. That's interesting to know about i210. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5* PX Smoke RDX 60S
Exotics C721 15* PX Smoke RDX 70S
Exotics C721 19* PX Smoke RDX 80S
Mizuno 921 Hot Metal 4-AW Neo S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

I love them. I've always played forged clubs for the most part. They obviously don't feel forged, but they feel solid and there's no loud sound on center or off-center contact. I have grown to like the feel. They feel a little hot off the face, but I think the sound is as muted as they can make one that isn't a forged club. They will be a little longer than what you play I'd think. I was ready for lighter shafts. The neo is a great shaft. Ian @ TXG on youtube mentioned it's the most consistent shaft he's ever used for players wanting lightweight steel shafts. Obviously you would struggle to hit big cuts and hooks when you want to, but I rarely need to. They are really forgiving. And the 921 they reduced topline and offset some. I tried the pros also but frankly I just didn't see any reason to give up the forgiveness when I looked at the regular ones vs the pros. Misses slightly toe side (my miss) fly just like a solid shot. Almost no loss of distance and they still fly really straight. Anyway I'd be surprised if you don't like them. I'm a 5 handicap right now and I've had them for a month. Iron play tends to be the weakest part of my game which is why I said heck with players clubs. I just want to hit greens cause I'm a pretty good putter. I haven't posted any scores since i got them, but I haven't shot higher than 77 since I got them and it's absolutely attributed to that extra help with the irons. (Bogey free 33 on the back this past Saturday 🙂 ). I'm averaging 12 greens vs 9 or 10 before.

Also I like that Mizuno puts MCCs as the standard grip. That's $80.00. So the value is good in my opinion.

Pro V1

I owned the JPX900 Hot Metal years ago, and moved that on for a set of 2017 P790s which I still have and it's now my backup set. Somewhere along the line I also had a set of G25 irons with the Recoil Prototype 95s that I just recently sold along with a nice set of Speedzone graphite irons. So I am very familiar with the GI irons.

I liked the original JPX900 Hot Metals, it was hot, lovely but I liked the P790 just a little better...it's still a beauty in my eyes. Until recently...picked up the JPX921 Hot Metal Pros. Mizuno did a really great job with the 921 Hot Metal Pros - classic looking, sleek and beautiful with the thin black line graphics that doesn't look cheap.

I demoed the 921 Hot Metals along with the HMP. I chose the 921 line just because they were closer to the P790 sizing that I love without being stupid, blade like small or chunky for the punky irons that I already owned. Having typed that, I still consider the 921 HMP has a chunky 4 & 5 iron but it is smaller than the HM version. To me, the rest of the irons, there was not much difference. Looks wise, the HMP wins over the HM.

The HMP is silly good in forgiveness. My miss is the toe and still out there. Middle it and it is soft - but then again, anything is soft compared to the G25s. HMP is definitely longer & way more accurate than my P790s but I suspect, thats due to the TGI more than anything else. Turf interfaction is great, not a digger at all. Fairways are hard at times and no issues there either... can't say that of my G25s in comparison. Now, the Speedzone with it's quite unique dual sole, is lovely off the hard pan. Those Cobras are very underrated, a lot of tech there thats not appreciated. I sold that set to my golfing buddy (he also has my G25s) and he thinks that Speedzone is money.

So all up, no regrets, will be keeping my 921 HMP and perhaps I may reshaft my P790s in the TGIs as well.

@Nessism just go get the JPX921 Hot Metals 👍😁

Edited by SwingBlues

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 stiff, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter
Fairways: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Irons:      Taylormade P790 DGold 105 S300 4-PW

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & TGI 100 shaft. Cleveland FullFace 56* with Catalyst 100 shaft.
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Todd Graves Single Plane swing

3 hours ago, tbonetw said:

That's amazing. I play in Texas with Bermuda. I've played blades in the past all the way to these hm now that I don't play as much and i'm getting older. I've hit flyers with every club I've had. Not much you can do with grass between the ball and the face IMO. I would think every club would react the same. That's interesting to know about i210. 

On 9/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, jbandalo said:

That is the tricky part behind concept of the lie based flyer and the strike based one. With the lie based flyer, the club doesn't really matter. The right amount of grass between the ball and you scrub spin without losing meaningful ball speed, forged blade or SGI iron. If we're talking about the strike based flyer where you hit it a little above the sweet spot and it behaves similar as the little bit if grass, scrubs spin but not speed, then the i210 does have a few noticeable differences that might be helping there? Extremely high MOI and a high CG would mean its physically harder to hit an unstable shot above the CG, so maybe fewer fairway fliers? The JPX's are definitely lower CG than the PING, although I can't see I have ever had one of these fairway flyers before. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX ||  Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

My eBay Store

53 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That is the tricky part behind concept of the lie based flyer and the strike based one. With the lie based flyer, the club doesn't really matter. The right amount of grass between the ball and you scrub spin without losing meaningful ball speed, forged blade or SGI iron. If we're talking about the strike based flyer where you hit it a little above the sweet spot and it behaves similar as the little bit if grass, scrubs spin but not speed, then the i210 does have a few noticeable differences that might be helping there? Extremely high MOI and a high CG would mean its physically harder to hit an unstable shot above the CG, so maybe fewer fairway fliers? The JPX's are definitely lower CG than the PING, although I can't see I have ever had one of these fairway flyers before. 

Got you. I understand. Hot spot basically. Yes I've hit some clubs when testing gi irons that have an 'oh crap' spot on the face and the ball just  takes off. I haven't had that with these. I experienced that with 2016 Apex when I tried it. Consistency wise I don't think there's anything better than an i210. I've heard nothing but great things. I had I20 a long time ago and they were very good.

Pro V1

I have the 921 HMP and absolutely love them. I have the 4-9 irons, ended up keeping the forged for the wedges. I had played JPX-900 forged before and have slowly been switching over to the HMP. I typically struggle with over cooking a draw so have always had to play more players irons to keep left out of play while needing more forgiveness. The HMP seem to be the absolutely perfect combo. Feel wise, they are not quite as good as the forged but they are still fantastic! A buddy of mine ordered the regular hot metals after hitting mine, so we will see how he likes them. Feel wise the hot metals are outstanding for a game improvement iron. I haven't noticed any hot spots where one seems to fly exceptionally far, and I am able to choke up and keep the flight down when required. 

Cobra King Speedzone Xtreme Aldila Rogue White 60 S (7.5 degree setting)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Cobra F9 3 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 4-9 Iron - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged P and G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 19 Grind 54/14 & 58/12
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (35")

Took the  Hot Metals to the course today. They are as amazing as they say. Hit 10 greens today , whereas normally mine usually been running close to 6 . Don’t normally like new irons . Tend to have trouble breaking in any clubs. Didn’t happen this time. Feel on good hits best I’ve felt. My previous irons we’re Mavriks so my distance chart is now off. Mavrik hit farther due to stronger lofts but not as accurate by what I see . Putting was off or would of broke 80 today. 

• Like 1

50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7

I really really wanted to love my 921 HMP’s….but I just don’t. I traded in a set of fitted G410’s for them and was NOT fitted for the HMP’s. Was just ready to look at something smaller and I enjoyed my 900f’s and was just COVID bored. I think the culprit here for my negativity was probably the stock PX LZ’s I got in them. Those shafts and me are like fire and water. They feel heavy and dead to me. I love the bag appeal of the HMP and they’re great when struck well, but I’m too inconsistent these days and apparently am too shaft sensitive to make them work. I have a set of g425’s on order now but we’re 3 months in on waiting for those and getting them anytime before Nov is looking slim now. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 4:20 AM, scruffynick said:

You selling them? lol

On 9/8/2021 at 4:22 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

Took the  Hot Metals to the course today. They are as amazing as they say. Hit 10 greens today , whereas normally mine usually been running close to 6 . Don’t normally like new irons . Tend to have trouble breaking in any clubs. Didn’t happen this time. Feel on good hits best I’ve felt. My previous irons we’re Mavriks so my distance chart is now off. Mavrik hit farther due to stronger lofts but not as accurate by what I see . Putting was off or would of broke 80 today. 

Loved them until I tried the PXG XPs. Not that the HMs aren’t a great club, still the best Cast irons I’ve ever owned.

50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7

On 9/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, Nessism said:

I don't care that much about distance but would like to improve on the sound/feel vs. my 410's which are clanky when missing the sweet spot.

Aren’t all clubs clanky when you miss the center?

Callaway Epic Max 9* w/ Aldila Tour Green 65S

Titleist 917 F2 16.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75S

Ping G410 Hybrid 22* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z585 4I w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Titleist Pro V1x

38 minutes ago, kintap said:

Aren’t all clubs clanky when you miss the center?

Yes.  But the clatter from some spring face GI clubs is louder.