Sub70 vs PXG

Cwing

Looking at moving to Aerotech i95 graphite shafts in reg flex in my irons. These two brands currently seem like the best bang for the buck to move into these shafts.

I’m currently playing PING g410 in DG105 stiff. I have the original PXG 0211 with TGi80 graphite that just don’t seem to work for me.

I’d likely go ‘21 0211 in PXG but open to several options in Sub70.

Which one and why? Anyone compare both?

I know many dislike PXG so Please, Please, Please leave the hate at the door step. 

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos 
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I guess PXG's new lineup is cheaper, but this is the first time I've ever heard them described as "best bang for the buck". lol

Jokes aside, I unfortunately cannot offer a comparison between the two in terms of performance, but can guarantee you that you won't find customer service anywhere near as exceptional as what Sub70 can provide. I would echo a previous poster and consider their demo program if you're interested in testing them.

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

4W - TaylorMade M3 3HL 17*

2I - Sub 70 699U Pro bent to 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

GW - Taylormade Milled Grind 50/9

SW - Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11

LW - Taylormade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 60* ATV Grind

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - CP2 Pro Midsize| Ball - TP5

No rush. I’m good with putting something new in play for spring of 2022.

Honestly, nothing wrong with the g410 but I believe moving to graphite would save wear/tear on the body / joints.

Edited by Cwing

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* w/ Rogue Max
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

2 minutes ago, Cwing said:

Honestly, nothing wrong with the g410 but I believe moving to graphite would save wear/tear.

+1 for the move to graphite. Best equipment decision I've made.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

4W - TaylorMade M3 3HL 17*

2I - Sub 70 699U Pro bent to 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

GW - Taylormade Milled Grind 50/9

SW - Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11

LW - Taylormade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 60* ATV Grind

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - CP2 Pro Midsize| Ball - TP5

19 minutes ago, Cwing said:

Honestly, nothing wrong with the g410 but I believe moving to graphite would save wear/tear.

16 minutes ago, macedan said:

+1 for the move to graphite. Best equipment decision I've made.

What is it about graphite shafts that you guys prefer over steel? Never tried graphite shafts in irons before, but open to trying new things.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max (10.5*) / Ventus Blue 6-S

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti (15.75*) / Tensei AV Blue 70 S

TaylorMade SIM Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

TaylorMade SIM Max (22*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX5 (5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 (36")

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

What is it about graphite shafts that you guys prefer over steel? Never tried graphite shafts in irons before, but open to trying new things.

I just played 18 holes of golf, 4 days in a row over LD weekend.  No elbow pain, no forearm pain, no wrist pain, no shoulder pain.  It’s all in the graphite shafts.  Not getting any younger, and I just couldn’t take the wear and tear from steel shafts anymore.  Graphite all the way—many threads on these in the WRX section.  I need the weight of the Steelfiber i110, and they are perfect for me, better than the SF i95.  YMMV.

As to OP’s question, I honestly don’t think you’d see a huge difference in performance between the Sub70 and PXG.  I have a set of Sub70 699, and they are excellent GI irons.  I ended up putting them in my son’s bag.  Now, I am personally not the hugest fan of the feel of the 699.  And whether you go 0211 or 0311 with PXG’s, IMHO the feel will be significantly better.   

Personally, I love the G425 irons more than any other recent irons.  Total package.  Just my .02 cents.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim Max D 9* Driver, Fujikura Ventus Red 5S 

Cobra King F9 3 Wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

2 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

So reshaft your pings in the graphite?

Cost really. Reshaft would nearly be as much as buying new.

• Like 1

PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

2 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Less wear and tear on the joints. It reduces vibrations…

50 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I just played 18 holes of golf, 4 days in a row over LD weekend.  No elbow pain, no forearm pain, no wrist pain, no shoulder pain.  It’s all in the graphite shafts.  Not getting any younger, and I just couldn’t take the wear and tear from steel shafts anymore.  Graphite all the way—many threads on these in the WRX section.  I need the weight of the Steelfiber i110, and they are perfect for me, better than the SF i95.  YMMV.

As to OP’s question, I honestly don’t think you’d see a huge difference in performance between the Sub70 and PXG.  I have a set of Sub70 699, and they are excellent GI irons.  I ended up putting them in my son’s bag.  Now, I am personally not the hugest fan of the feel of the 699.  And whether you go 0211 or 0311 with PXG’s, IMHO the feel will be significantly better.   

Personally, I love the G425 irons more than any other recent irons.  Total package.  Just my .02 cents.

Very interesting. I never thought about specific shafts or clubs that would easier on joints or less painful. I could understand the benefits of that for sure.

This season I’ve been gaming Srixon Z 785’s with Modus3 Tour 120’s, and it’s the first time I’ve had noticeable pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. The feel with the clubs and shafts is phenomenal, but my gosh are they ever painful on any type of mishit.

I actually have what feels like tendonitis in my right wrist and right shoulder that are causing a lot of pain over the last few weeks, so a pain-free shaft sounds pretty appealing right now.

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

Just in case, pxg is constant weight taper tip and sub70 is parallel tip. It may feel slightly different. Anyway, i would go steelfiber 95r if you play dg 105s. 

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

In addition to the body-friendliness, graphite can be stiffer with less weight. In a way, while many 95g steel shafts are high spin and trajectory, most 95g graphite shafts are mid-mid. you can swing faster and it will go further rather than ballooning. 

Edited by sociojeje
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Very interesting. I never thought about specific shafts or clubs that would easier on joints or less painful. I could understand the benefits of that for sure.

This season I’ve been gaming Srixon Z 785’s with Modus3 Tour 120’s, and it’s the first time I’ve had noticeable pain in my hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders. The feel with the clubs and shafts is phenomenal, but my gosh are they ever painful on any type of mishit.

I actually have what feels like tendonitis in my right wrist and right shoulder that are causing a lot of pain over the last few weeks, so a pain-free shaft sounds pretty appealing right now.

It’s worth the effort and expense to try graphite. I prefer steel but the graphite shafts let me practice 3-4 per week. 

steelfiber makes some more excellent heavy weight steel alternatives. 

I have 14 clubs.

8 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

It’s worth the effort and expense to try graphite. I prefer steel but the graphite shafts let me practice 3-4 per week. 

steelfiber makes some more excellent heavy weight steel alternatives. 

Makes sense. Yeah, it’s not a good feeling to be limited on how much you can play and practice depending on how much wrist and shoulder pain you can endure in a week, Lol!

I’m a tough guy, but not trying to push through injuries from my punishing irons!! 

• Like 1

WITB on WRX

4 hours ago, Cwing said:

Honestly, nothing wrong with the g410 but I believe moving to graphite would save wear/tear on the body / joints.

Can't really recommend which DTC but............you may want to keep the G410 heads and move on to composite shafts.  Look into the MMT line.  Best composite shafts on the market currently IMO.  I've tried most of them from recoil protots, steel fiber and other JDM shafts and nothing really compares.  Just as stable as steel, tight dispersion and great feel.  And yes, your joints will thank you. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Makes sense. Yeah, it’s not a good feeling to be limited on how much you can play and practice depending on how much wrist and shoulder pain you can endure in a week, Lol!

I just switched from Dynamic Gold to Fujikura Pro Iron, and the difference after a round is amazing. I used to get sore hands, and feel tired after a round. Now, I don't even feel like I played.

• Like 1

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° (Adjusted to 8.5°) - ProForce V2 Black 6F4 S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - ProForce V2 Black 7F4 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2 hybrid - KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 85S
Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

2015 OnOff Kuro Forged 4-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 56°-14° - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Nike VR Pro 58° DS - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour S
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1996) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army
MaxFli Tour (Yellow)

Having played graphite for over 15 years now (and I am not even 50 yet) I completely understand about wanting to move to graphite.  I also owned the original 0211 irons in MMT 70 graphite shafts and we did not get along.  I did a fitting session a couple years ago with the 0311 Gen 2 irons and I loved them but they were stupid expensive (which is why I went with the 0211 in hopes of getting that similar feel and performance).  Obviously that did not work out.  So let's fast forward to earlier this year when they dropped the price of the 0311 Gen 2's and I got a set and we are best friends (same Mitsubishi MMT 70 shaft).  I believe the Gen 2 are now sold out, but I would highly suggest trying the Gen 3's if you can.  

Also I have a buddy that loves his Sub 70 irons, so I actually ordered a putter from them and had a pretty spectacular round this weekend (+2 74 with 28 putts).  So I have nothing against Sub 70 other than a limited left handed selection compared to all the right hand offerings, but hey I am used to it. 

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Ya know I’ve played the same irons but with PXLZ 6.5’s.  Last year no issues, this year I’ve noticed achy firearms and hands after playing.  I had chalked it up to a swing issue or trying to swing too hard.  Never crossed my mind that it might be the shafts. 

• Like 1

I’ve been wanting to get into some graphite iron shafts after playing DG X100s for the last 10-11 years. It doesn’t look like PXG offers anything in X flex and Sub70s LH selection is pretty nonexistent at the moment.  I also can’t find much on golf works or really anywhere else as far as just shafts go so I guess I’ll be sticking with what I have for a little while longer but I can barely get through a round now without wrist pain. 

33 minutes ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I’ve been wanting to get into some graphite iron shafts after playing DG X100s for the last 10-11 years. It doesn’t look like PXG offers anything in X flex and Sub70s LH selection is pretty nonexistent at the moment.  I also can’t find much on golf works or really anywhere else as far as just shafts go so I guess I’ll be sticking with what I have for a little while longer but I can barely get through a round now without wrist pain. 

SteelFiber 110 or 125 would probably get it done (also see below about MMT).  I've added below the Wishon shaft profile data for DGS, DGX, and i110 and i125, if such info interests you.  110X looks close to DGX, though the bottom half of the shaft is stiffer.  I would expect the same out of the 125.  You could hardstep the stiff or softstep the X.

That said, if you don't mind spending the coin, MMT 125 in TX is based on the DGX100 profile.  There are a LOT of posts from guys who've made this switch, who absolutely love the MMT 125TX.  Costs a bit, but apparently 100% worth it, if you want to save some aggravation to your wrists and/or elbows.

In a more pedestrian swing zipcode, I've fully switched to graphite this year, coming from DGS, Super Peening Blue, or the old Precision stepped steel.  My wrist irritation is largely gone.  Highly recommend it.

These aren't your father's or grandfather's graphite shafts anymore.

image.png.641cf5d87111deb1ad9c52e3fadb137d.png

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

14 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

SteelFiber 110 or 125 would probably get it done (also see below about MMT).  I've added below the Wishon shaft profile data for DGS, DGX, and i110 and i125, if such info interests you.  110X looks close to DGX, though the bottom half of the shaft is stiffer.  I would expect the same out of the 125.  You could hardstep the stiff or softstep the X.

That said, if you don't mind spending the coin, MMT 125 in TX is based on the DGX100 profile.  There are a LOT of posts from guys who've made this switch, who absolutely love the MMT 125TX.  Costs a bit, but apparently 100% worth it, if you want to save some aggravation to your wrists and/or elbows.

In a more pedestrian swing zipcode, I've fully switched to graphite this year, coming from DGS, Super Peening Blue, or the old Precision stepped steel.  My wrist irritation is largely gone.  Highly recommend it.

These aren't your father's or grandfather's graphite shafts anymore.

image.png.641cf5d87111deb1ad9c52e3fadb137d.png

Thanks for this info. The Steelfiber 110x probably would be what I’d be looking at. 

1 minute ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Thanks for this info. The Steelfiber 110x probably would be what I’d be looking at. 

A small caveat....  the i110 has a higher balance point, if you're not overlength, you'll possibly need to manipulate swingweight a bit.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

1 hour ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Just be careful with Steelfibers.  I tried the i110 S for a couple of weeks, and they were very stiff.  Performed great, but simply too stiff for me to play regularly, and frankly were harder on my body than many steel shafts I play. 

I went back to the i110 R, and all was well.  YMMV of course depending on your swing characteristics.  But I can only imagine how stiff the X flex is.

Also note that PXG offers the SF fc115 stiff, which I have in a set of Gen2 P and are excellent shafts as well.  I soft-stepped these once, and they work well.  Upon playing them though, I think soft-stepping them twice would have been better for me in trying to approximate the i110 R in terms of weight and flex.

Taylormade Sim Max D 9* Driver, Fujikura Ventus Red 5S 

Cobra King F9 3 Wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

20 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

If you are looking for game improvement style irons (hollow body + jacked lofts) then both companies offer good options.

If you are looking for soft steel forged cavity backs or blades then Sub70 is the clear winner. The heads are fantastic and PXG doesn't even offer any true forged blades.

PXG offers two forged blades...the Gen4 0311 ST and the 0211 ST.  

20210822_135056.jpg.e6b5cda89fc18ea547169ba7304331a8.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

I don't think you can miss with either one.  If you are looking for GI/SGI models then the 699 and 0211 DC would be comparable.  Looks like the sale is over at PXG so Sub 70 would win on price going with i95's.  The PXG lofts are super jacked on the DC's though.  Go with the Sub 70 699 pro's for lower offset more comparable to TM 790's.   

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

I have been playing the SF i95's in a set of original 0311 PXG irons for the past 6 years.  Previous shaft for a long time was the standard PX 6.0's or 5.5's.  Decided to switch after elbow surgery.  The transition to the lower weight of the i95's was really easy.  I absolutely love these and can't find anything that out performs them.  I think i am officially no longer a club ho. 

I have hit a lot of other graphite shafts.  For me, the SF's fit me the best and feel the best.  Try to sample as many as possible.