2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Monte’s new Broom Force

handdoc

What I am most optimistic about is that quality golf instructors seem to be unanimous with the ills and needs of most peoples golf swings... by quality I am talking @MonteScheinblum, Jake Hutt, the guys at AMG.

I am a 35 year V shaped attack..... early extender, slicer, shanker and most frustratingly - 2 way misser.   I have bought the broom drill and NTC and fully believe it is the best way of learning how to get to the swing you need -  the videos below wont give you the level of instruction you need - more an example of this is what you need to do but they miss the how bit.  But most importantly they confirm that what Monte is teaching is spot on.  For too long I have jumped from instructor to instructor to try new things that may get me to the swing I want..... im fully on board now! Unless you know me - buy Montes 2 videos NTC and Broomforce, far cheaper than anything else that will improve your game massively,

Edited by hafnia
  • Like 1

Played this morning after a few days practicing the drills. Irons felt solid when I got the timing right. Found myself pulling a lot left whereas my poor shot is usually short and right. 

However I really struggled with driver. Just couldn’t seem to make good contact. Is there anything that needs adjusting in the set up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordswood said:

Played this morning after a few days practicing the drills. Irons felt solid when I got the timing right. Found myself pulling a lot left whereas my poor shot is usually short and right. 

However I really struggled with driver. Just couldn’t seem to make good contact. Is there anything that needs adjusting in the set up?

Driver is always the latest to the party. Give it time - like several months - doing the drills. As long as you're doing them correctly they'll start to leak into your driver swing. 

• Like 1

Wasn't expecting to play but went out for a few practice holes tonight after watching the drills on repeat.  Not exactly the correct preparation but I tried the drills on a few warm up swings. 

The biggest challenge I believe is "waiting" holding the turn and doing the vertical unhinge.  But I discovered something that really helped..... Absolutely brilliant.

With the downswing foot force - being a push of the right foot to 5 o'clock ala the slapshot drill...... I used the same foot to push to one o'clock for the backswing and this kind of feels like it helps resist throwing the shoulders out.  I maintained that force whilst doing the vertical unhinge, this kept myself turned away, as soon as I do the vertical unhinge I just turned through, turning the one o'clock foot force to a 5 o'clock foot force...... Hit some absolute beauties.  Very early days but very very optimistic. 

Edited by hafnia

Working on the drills. What are peoples' thoughts on NTC vs the countertop drill? Is it forearm rotation and the arms lowering that get you from the initial cast to the position of the countertop ? 

Also, for those who leave the face open, would getting the leading edge of the club flush to the imaginary countertop be a good feel? E.g. extra lead wrist flexion.

16 hours ago, Bandonhacker said:

Working on the drills. What are peoples' thoughts on NTC vs the countertop drill? Is it forearm rotation and the arms lowering that get you from the initial cast to the position of the countertop ? 

Also, for those who leave the face open, would getting the leading edge of the club flush to the imaginary countertop be a good feel? E.g. extra lead wrist flexion.

I had to work through this feel for the countertop drill to have a square club face. 

# 1....right hand for a right must be under the club at the top. (That's your arm rotation. 

#2...from the top...hand position stays the same...right hand under the club...now move your thumbs away from the target while straightening your right arm. 

That's all you need. Face will be square and now you can rotate as hard as you want.

3 hours ago, BeenWild said:

I had to work through this feel for the countertop drill to have a square club face. 

# 1....right hand for a right must be under the club at the top. (That's your arm rotation. 

#2...from the top...hand position stays the same...right hand under the club...now move your thumbs away from the target while straightening your right arm. 

That's all you need. Face will be square and now you can rotate as hard as you want.

Thanks. Am i right in staying that that is not the countertop drill? When i do that, my clubface seems open relative to where it is in the countertop drill. Monte's right hand seems more on top in that drill?

5 hours ago, Bandonhacker said:

Thanks. Am i right in staying that that is not the countertop drill? When i do that, my clubface seems open relative to where it is in the countertop drill. Monte's right hand seems more on top in that drill?

You are correct. That was the movement direction of cast A. I use it in the countertop drill. Great pick up!

The right hand moves more on top as the right arm straightens.  The right hand will point towards/face the ground. This will only happen if you keep the right hand extended/bent back while pointing the thumbs away.

I saw that too when Monte performed the drill in Broomforce, on IG and in the videos with Brendan.

• Thanks 1

Hit the range yesterday - unbelievably easy to get into the pattern of hitting as far as you can which is stupid really.  Monte says nearly all golfers make this mistake.

I need to actually feel the club lower before turning which means I need to hit half shots - not full shots.  Sadly the ego of wanting to hit targets and yards kicks in too easy when you have open space.  Ideally for me the nets are the best option and I have probably made my best swing improvements in them.

I have a Garmin G80 which a great GPS device but I bought with the intention of using in the nets for its launch monitor capabilities - the only issue is our nets have been out of action for 3 months and we are waiting on them to be completed.  As soon as they are up and running I will be doing slap shot drills, axe drills, justin drills -  happy in the knowledge that 200 yards of free space is tempting me to smack balls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

Hit the range yesterday - unbelievably easy to get into the pattern of hitting as far as you can which is stupid really.  Monte says nearly all golfers make this mistake.

I need to actually feel the club lower before turning which means I need to hit half shots - not full shots.  Sadly the ego of wanting to hit targets and yards kicks in too easy when you have open space.  Ideally for me the nets are the best option and I have probably made my best swing improvements in them.

I have a Garmin G80 which a great GPS device but I bought with the intention of using in the nets for its launch monitor capabilities - the only issue is our nets have been out of action for 3 months and we are waiting on them to be completed.  As soon as they are up and running I will be doing slap shot drills, axe drills, justin drills -  happy in the knowledge that 200 yards of free space is tempting me to smack balls.

Just take a wedge or nine iron to the range. Nick Faldo literally wore out two 8 irons drilling his swing. 

If you need to go and hit things hard then make a special range trip just for that. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, BeenWild said:

You are correct. That was the movement direction of cast A. I use it in the countertop drill. Great pick up!

The right hand moves more on top as the right arm straightens.  The right hand will point towards/face the ground. This will only happen if you keep the right hand extended/bent back while pointing the thumbs away.

I saw that too when Monte performed the drill in Broomforce, on IG and in the videos with Brendan.

Honestly I’ve been trying the “throw the club head” from Jake Hutt that kind of spills into Broom Force

And what I’ve been focusing on is from the top is SMASHING the hosel into the ground like 2 feet before the ball, like there is a spike coming out of the hosel and I’m trying to slash it into the ground

I will make a practice divot that looks like a butter knife in the ground

And when I do that and pivot through somehow it squares up

I noticed on the countertop drill too that the leading edge is parallel to the ground. And rotating thumbs and the right hand away in transition has always messed me up. It gets me too handsy and manipulating my body for some reason stalls and I come over the top too much. It’s more a left over from Gankas program. I try to square the clubhead too much that I over do it and I’m hitting low hooks because I hood everything.

I’m worried that if I start trying to actively square the clubhead again I’m going to get in this position. For me my feel is that I don’t worry about the clubhead... it kind of just takes care of itself. I don’t know how right or wrong that is but once I stopped trying to manipulate it to square I got way more distance and height off my irons.

Not sure but this is the only thing that concerns me... 

I'll add a sort of sequence that has been working for me that combines a few different feels from NTC, Broomforce, Justin Rose drill, and Jake Hutt. From the top I'll do the Justin Rose drill, but focus on the feel of Jake Hutt's trail arm yo-yo throw to get my trail arm/elbow extending as early as possible into the cast A/countertop position. The yo-yo throw feel is important, to me, to maintain width. Without it I was just tucking the trail elbow into my side and losing width too early.

From the countertop position, I feel loose arms and wrists and try to use my pivot to pull the club through the turn and whip it (speedboat/water skier feel) into the ball. Though I've found that I had to vary positioning from Monte's video a bit. In his video, it looks like the club head in the counter-top position is pointing towards 6 o'clock. I've found that I still get a little OTT from there, but it works really well if I try to get to countertop with the clubhead still behind me a bit at 7-7:30.

My biggest challenge still is the timing and sequencing. It's still difficult for me to use a light/slow motion to get into countertop and then immediately switch into high gear for the pivot (feel all the speed after impact). 

Edited by Simpsonia

8 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

I'll add a sort of sequence that has been working for me that combines a few different feels from NTC, Broomforce, Justin Rose drill, and Jake Hutt. From the top I'll do the Justin Rose drill, but focus on the feel of Jake Hutt's trail arm yo-yo throw to get my trail arm/elbow extending as early as possible into the cast A/countertop position. The yo-yo throw feel is important, to me, to maintain width. Without it I was just tucking the trail elbow into my side and losing width too early.

From the countertop position, I feel loose arms and wrists and try to use my pivot to pull the club through the turn and whip it (speedboat/water skier feel) into the ball. Though I've found that I had to vary positioning from Monte's video a bit. In his video, it looks like the club head in the counter-top position is pointing towards 6 o'clock. I've found that I still get a little OTT from there, but it works really well if I try to get to countertop with the clubhead still behind me a bit at 7-7:30.

My biggest challenge still is the timing and sequencing. It's still difficult for me to use a light/slow motion to get into countertop and then immediately switch into high gear for the pivot (feel all the speed after impact). 

I felt this too and something I realized as well

In the countertop drill the club is pointing to 6 o clock and I DEFINITELY go over the top if I think 6 o clock is an acceptable position. Which it isn’t. I end up coming over the top with a square clubface and just getting low hooks.

Once I realized I need to modify the counter top feel to smashing straight down at like 7-8 oclock (exactly like what Monte says in NTC) then I was coming from the inside with a square clubface and was getting straight high iron shots. I really need to feel like I’m coming from a bit more inside WHILE I cast.

EXACT same feel as you. Exact same.

9 hours ago, Delacroix said:

In the countertop drill the club is pointing to 6 o clock and I DEFINITELY go over the top if I think 6 o clock is an acceptable position. Which it isn’t. I end up coming over the top with a square clubface and just getting low hooks.

Once I realized I need to modify the counter top feel to smashing straight down at like 7-8 oclock (exactly like what Monte says in NTC) then I was coming from the inside with a square clubface and was getting straight high iron shots. I really need to feel like I’m coming from a bit more inside WHILE I cast.

When the doing the countertop drill, I come over the top if I start with my arms after lowering the club. 

When I start by rotating left (hips) then fire my arms, I come from the inside. Had to think back on what Monte said in the video. The countertop drill puts your arms in a place to where they are linked up to my hips.  So it's drop the arms, fire the hips and the arms will be ready to fire. 

1 hour ago, BeenWild said:

When the doing the countertop drill, I come over the top if I start with my arms after lowering the club. 

When I start by rotating left (hips) then fire my arms, I come from the inside. Had to think back on what Monte said in the video. The countertop drill puts your arms in a place to where they are linked up to my hips.  So it's drop the arms, fire the hips and the arms will be ready to fire. 

You might be one in a hundred that can fire the hips in that sequence. Death move for most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfbeat said:

People still think this guy is crazy?

I mean he does advocate some pretty bad advice in other videos. I think I remember one thread with Monte and others dunking on him because there was an entire video dedicated to how the best way to shallow the club was to drop the trail shoulder as soon as possible, which if you're here you'd know is pretty much the opposite of what Monte advocates. 

Edited by Simpsonia

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

I mean he does advocate some pretty bad advice in other videos. I think I remember one thread with Monte and others dunking on him because there was an entire video dedicated to how the best way to shallow the club was to drop the trail shoulder as soon as possible, which if you're here you'd know is pretty much the opposite of what Monte advocates. 

I agree that he has said some unhelpful stuff but the general concept in this first video is not so bad.

Went to PGATSS to hit at the sim. 8 iron usually goes 160 in course conditions. It was going the same while warming up. Then I tried turning my hips more in the backswing and delaying my hips as long as I could in the downswing. The result was an average of 180! I know hitting off a mat is different than real turf but I'll find out if it sticks during my round tomorrow

On 10/20/2021 at 1:31 AM, Delacroix said:

I have just bought and finished watching it I’m pretty sure on the counter top drill he isn’t putting it at 6 if you mean close to the target line. He states that you put it on top from the inside and also says it to the guy he gives a lesson to. He mentions the swing arc. I think depending on the club the point on the ground will change. I just start closing the face from the top and it touches the ground where it wants to go. With a 8 it was behind and just in front of my trail foot.

Anyhow after seeing previous bits of Instagram stuff from Monte I have been trying the broom drill with inconsistent results(to be expected) but oddly when I tried it for pitch shots and even chipping the success has been great. With my stance being narrower I take a couple of practices where I square the face around my right foot and brush along the ground. On the shot I just think square then brush. The very odd time it doesn’t work is when I don’t brush it and hit it a little heavy. The giveaway on pitch shots is if I don’t finish extended and facing the target. 

Went to the range earlier and practiced mainly 100 yard 8 irons. Square the club on the ground brush the mat through the plastic tee. But a ball down do the counter top drill, put another ball down hit a 100 yard 8 iron. If I don’t get the speed pass the ball it goes a tad left(slight stall)

I think doing the chips and pitches(on the course) has got me over the dread of hitting 3 foot behind the ball. Very happy with the results so came home and bought the video. 

Edited by Hilts1969
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:14 AM, games said:

You might be one in a hundred that can fire the hips in that sequence. Death move for most.

Possibly. It's only for the countertop drill that I actively think about leading with my hips. Remember the countertop drill is from a dead stop. During that drill and leading with my arms is a bad combo for me. 

As Monte says, the arms are already linked up once you release the vertical hinge and straighten the arms. Its go time.

In the past, IMO, I didn't have a lot of lower body action almost reactionary (my perception) so that's a good feel for me. I tend to get caught up with upper feels and intents and forget the lower body. So pressuring the left heel, slapshot, etc help me make an athletic swing.

11 hours ago, BeenWild said:

Possibly. It's only for the countertop drill that I actively think about leading with my hips. Remember the countertop drill is from a dead stop. During that drill and leading with my arms is a bad combo for me. 

As Monte says, the arms are already linked up once you release the vertical hinge and straighten the arms. Its go time.

In the past, IMO, I didn't have a lot of lower body action almost reactionary (my perception) so that's a good feel for me. I tend to get caught up with upper feels and intents and forget the lower body. So pressuring the left heel, slapshot, etc help me make an athletic swing.

I agree that lower body/pivot move is not automatic even if you get the arms and face right in transition. Maybe we are outliers because I can stall and dump from any position. I think the brush has to be aggressive and through the ball for me. There are 3 big clues for me 

Extended up and facing the target 

The right arm on 3/4 shots is low and across my body(0930 on clock no high hands and chasing to 11)

Left shoulder is behind right shoulder.

I think watching pros on pitch shots or Tommy Fleetwood as he curtails his finish is a good way to see where that right arms finishes.

Edited by Hilts1969

• 2 weeks later...