Monte’s new Broom Force

handdoc

Practice NTC for months, do Cast A drill thousands of times.

Rewatch videos multiple times, getting all details right.

Still steepen the shaft in downswing, 100% of the time.

Lose hope.

Monte releases Broomforce, people praise it, perfect add on to NTC.

Gain hope.

Practice drills, special attention to anti-steepen thoughts.

Still steepen shaft in downswing, 100% of the time.

Are some people just not capable of swinging correctly? Should I switch to lefthanded?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Practice NTC for months, do Cast A drill thousands of times.

Rewatch videos multiple times, getting all details right.

Still steepen the shaft in downswing, 100% of the time.

Lose hope.

Monte releases Broomforce, people praise it, perfect add on to NTC.

Gain hope.

Practice drills, special attention to anti-steepen thoughts.

Still steepen shaft in downswing, 100% of the time.

Are some people just not capable of swinging correctly? Should I switch to lefthanded?

Post a video. If your body is functional then you can do this. 

Seems like the drills could be very helpful, like the power swing fan, hockey stick, sledge hammer, etc. that Shawn Clement, Wally Armstrong, and others have advocated (I think that Wally had a broom drill in one of his videos).

But, I thought that the "long flat spot" concept got disproven years ago, kind of like the "X factor" and "holding the lag."

On 9/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, handdoc said:

For me his videos are so good, so helpful, and have taught me so much about the golf swing this was a no brainer buy. 
hopefully will start watching this tomorrow. 

Driver irons?   Addition to no turn and cast?

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

3 hours ago, tm3 said:

Seems like the drills could be very helpful, like the power swing fan, hockey stick, sledge hammer, etc. that Shawn Clement, Wally Armstrong, and others have advocated (I think that Wally had a broom drill in one of his videos).

But, I thought that the "long flat spot" concept got disproven years ago, kind of like the "X factor" and "holding the lag."

Haven’t seen the long flat spot concept get disproven, but yes to the others. 

Any threads you can point to?

4 hours ago, Trippels said:

Delete this reply if off topic, but I'm trying here to tie in the drills/thoughts from NTC and broomforce in a full swing. Not the greatest lighting or camera, sorry

I'm not an instructor, but to me your hips don't move correctly. Your rear/right hips moves closer to the ball, forcing you to steepen because there isn't anything else you can do and still make a good strike. Once your right hip goes back during the backswing, it shouldn't get closer to the ballI also think your takeaway is a little inside/flat which doesn't help that steep pattern either.

I think PReed is a really good example on getting and moving the hips into the right places. Notice that once it's back, his right hip doesn't really get closer to the ball and instead, his left hip moves behind his right hip which has already moved backward.  So...right goes back...then left goes even further back.

Edited by GoTime

7 hours ago, Trippels said:

Delete this reply if off topic, but I'm trying here to tie in the drills/thoughts from NTC and broomforce in a full swing. Not the greatest lighting or camera, sorry.

Arms way late. 

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

10 hours ago, Trippels said:

Delete this reply if off topic, but I'm trying here to tie in the drills/thoughts from NTC and broomforce in a full swing. Not the greatest lighting or camera, sorry.

Sorry for the late reply. Just got up in the UK. 

Basically what Monte said. Broomforce contains all the answers you need. You gotta get those arms moving much quicker in transition. 

8 hours ago, GoTime said:

I'm not an instructor, but to me your hips don't move correctly. Your rear/right hips moves closer to the ball, forcing you to steepen because there isn't anything else you can do and still make a good strike. Once your right hip goes back during the backswing, it shouldn't get closer to the ballI also think your takeaway is a little inside/flat which doesn't help that steep pattern either.

I think PReed is a really good example on getting and moving the hips into the right places. Notice that once it's back, his right hip doesn't really get closer to the ball and instead, his left hip moves behind his right hip which has already moved backward.  So...right goes back...then left goes even further back.

He early extends because his club is steep not the other way round. With a good right arm and wrist movement his hip moving towards the target line would very likely go away. 

He would have a good swing if he can shallow and close the face a bit in transition. 

On 9/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, jsn said:

Yo this is probably supposed to be obvious in the vids but I clearly was extending my arms in conjunction.

Was just out hitting balls trying to do less on cast A and it was night & day. Thanks much!

ahhhhh.....

ok.  Historical lightbulb moment (bear with me on this) @TheDeanAbides please chip in as I think you have an idea of where I have been with my swing.

So.   I was on the course one night a few weeks back.  I was focusing on the No turn part using the arm swing illusion thought of "lift the club up in front of you and the turn puts it in the right positon"........  I was all over the place.   

I had a thought "don't feel like the upper arms are lifting up - hinge wrists and fold right elbow, nothing else".  My backswing suddenly felt ridiculously tighter, like the club was in the delivery position throughout the swing and all I had was a turn to power the swing.  Strikes were pure and ball flight was penetrating - hitting 4 iron after 4 iron off the deck. I then realised how Jon Rahm looks like he has a short swing - he doesnt lift the upper arm or as much as other pros, he sets clubs and turns hard through.

Could I do it the next time I went out?  NO.

So for me what was likely to be working was I wasn't feeling "lifting and dropping my arms" - more that I was vertically unhinging and the turn was the second part.

44 minutes ago, hafnia said:

ahhhhh.....

ok.  Historical lightbulb moment (bear with me on this) @TheDeanAbides please chip in as I think you have an idea of where I have been with my swing.

So.   I was on the course one night a few weeks back.  I was focusing on the No turn part using the arm swing illusion thought of "lift the club up in front of you and the turn puts it in the right positon"........  I was all over the place.   

I had a thought "don't feel like the upper arms are lifting up - hinge wrists and fold right elbow, nothing else".  My backswing suddenly felt ridiculously tighter, like the club was in the delivery position throughout the swing and all I had was a turn to power the swing.  Strikes were pure and ball flight was penetrating - hitting 4 iron after 4 iron off the deck. I then realised how Jon Rahm looks like he has a short swing - he doesnt lift the upper arm or as much as other pros, he sets clubs and turns hard through.

Could I do it the next time I went out?  NO.

So for me what was likely to be working was I wasn't feeling "lifting and dropping my arms" - more that I was vertically unhinging and the turn was the second part.

If it didn't work again it wasn't effective though, right? 

There is plenty of up and out in Rahmbo's swing. It's just not obvious because his shoulder turn is limited. 

Generally is much better to feel like the right arm is extending in the backswing than folding. 

19 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

If it didn't work again it wasn't effective though, right? 

There is plenty of up and out in Rahmbo's swing. It's just not obvious because his shoulder turn is limited. 

Generally is much better to feel like the right arm is extending in the backswing than folding. 

I think sometimes feels work and then they dont - what you think you are doing is different.

2 hours ago, David69 said:

Slap Shot & Sledgehammer Drills for the win. 

Must admit.  If I try cast - a and cast b. There is no way I'm getting there ..... Maybe over time and perseverance I could

I assume the drills on the broom series is different feels to achieve the same thing.  Or at least if you master them all you can identify the commonality in them.   For example the slap shot emphasises use of ground forces more, the sledgehammer drill isolates the correct arm motion.  Master them all and I assume the body starts behaving better in the swing. 

The sledgehammer dril on tour Danny lee

Edited by hafnia

On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, ferrispgm said:

Eventually it clicks....seemingly overnight sometimes.  What has been proven to help is actually getting 8 hours of sleep which allows the brain to form new connections quicker and easier.  Andrew Huberman has a great podcast on this.

Keep working at it though.  I'm still working on my stuff from the Monte clinic in Feb and I'm just now starting to get there.  Takes me 8-10 months to get comfortable and like a year to truly get it.  But even after a year I still monitor it and will work on it every few range sessions.  Being impatient will guarantee failure. Took me a while to learn this but once I did, my handicap dropped from a weak 5 or 6 to a pretty solid +2.5 in 4 1/2-5 years.   Don't bail after a couple rounds or even a month of horrible scoring.  I find the biggest breakthroughs come after a short period of struggle...it's like your body is fighting to let go of it's bad patterns and once you do it clicks.

This is encouraging. I've been stuck at a 3-6ish handicap for nearly two decades. The fact you're a + putting in this work is incredible and gives me hope. What has been the biggest adjustment for you and/or how were you able to make such a drastic drop in handicap?

Edited by BTP
Spell check

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

On 9/10/2021 at 5:08 PM, Precis1on said:

And once it clicks it goes away again, comes back, goes away, then comes back to stay. Then rears its ugly head again. But MAYBE you recognize it and know how to self-repair by then. 

Improvement, it ain't linear.

It depends.   I agree you’ll have lapses but it’s different for each individual.  I implemented this and have had 10+ range sessions with great success.  

A lot of it depends on how bad you were before and where you are now.   For me it’s knowing the why behind when it; then it truly begins to stick.  Monte does a great job of explaining which for me personally is a huge part of learning.   Doing to do doesn’t work for me…..    I have to know the why.   

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

9 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

It depends.   I agree you’ll have lapses but it’s different for each individual.  I implemented this and have had 10+ range sessions with great success.  

A lot of it depends on how bad you were before and where you are now.   For me it’s knowing the why behind when it; then it truly begins to stick.  Monte does a great job of explaining which for me personally is a huge part of learning.   Doing to do doesn’t work for me…..    I have to know the why.   

I have a big 2 way miss.  Probably because I'm an early extender/flipper 

I can get the ball round and shoot low 80s but I honestly feel that with a swing that gives me consistency I will drop lots of shots as I can generate good club head speed.

Gonna really dedicate myself to these drills. 

1 hour ago, hafnia said:

I have a big 2 way miss.  Probably because I'm an early extender/flipper 

I can get the ball round and shoot low 80s but I honestly feel that with a swing that gives me consistency I will drop lots of shots as I can generate good club head speed.

Gonna really dedicate myself to these drills. 

Have you posted your swing anywhere here?

On 9/12/2021 at 12:48 AM, GoTime said:

This was a huge thing for me.  I stupidly bought into the illusion that the right hip goes back on backswing and forward on downswing with left hips doing opposite.

When I tried right hip back, and left hip back with right hip remaining (not going forward) I found myself feeling like I was bending over to get to the ball.   It felt odd and my direction was all over the place but I had loads of room. 

Similar to the chap in the video I made some nice hits with timing but I believe it gave me the shanks. 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, Trippels said:

Do you get the shanks? Very similar to my swing. 

Got laughed at yesterday when I showed up with a broom in my bag to play 9 with my friends. I shot 37 and pitched Monte's concept to them. Told them to buy video before end of Sept. and it will give them a better understanding of the golf swing and improve their swings or I'll give their 20 bucks back. If most people would just work on the first segment with the water bottle getting the broom FLAT on the ground behind the ball then sweep it should be an aha moment. Hard part for me is the closed or square shoulders before I sweep. The wait wait wait and getting into flexion is key for me right now but the movement of the wrists to get that boom flat behind the ball should help a lot of you guys out there. I've been at this for 60 yrs. and Monte is a genius in the way he teaches in my mind.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 3:49 PM, Trippels said:

It looks like your heels are slightly up off the mat at address. Where do you feel your weight? Toes/balls of feet or mid-foot? 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

36 minutes ago, kowalgolf said:

Got laughed at yesterday when I showed up with a broom in my bag to play 9 with my friends. I shot 37 and pitched Monte's concept to them. Told them to buy video before end of Sept. and it will give them a better understanding of the golf swing and improve their swings or I'll give their 20 bucks back. If most people would just work on the first segment with the water bottle getting the broom FLAT on the ground behind the ball then sweep it should be an aha moment. Hard part for me is the closed or square shoulders before I sweep. The wait wait wait and getting into flexion is key for me right now but the movement of the wrists to get that boom flat behind the ball should help a lot of you guys out there. I've been at this for 60 yrs. and Monte is a genius in the way he teaches in my mind.

I think the "flexion" feel is addressed most appropriate for me in the counter top.... Imagining the edge needs to sit flat is a good way to get the left wrist rotated down and bowed 

It's the most excited I've been over the golf swing ... 

• Like 1