Monte’s new Broom Force

handdoc

Went to Lowe’s today and bought a $15 broom. Got home cut it down to about 44” and shaped the bristles at an angle to sit on the floor better.

my 9 yo son says as he walks by, “are you practicing with a broom.” And just keeps going. 
Best and least expensive golf training tool I’ve ever bought. Now I just need to figure out if I can create a custom ferrule. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Whats the best type of broom for this? Metal or wood shaft? What type of bristles? 😉

I went with the wood shaft (extra stiff), and the bristles are a mix of corn ratan and grass (cut at about 2 degrees flat). 
In all honesty I’ve been using it for backswing, then able to use it to put on the table, and then sweep through the floor. It is, for me, making this click even more. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, handdoc said:

Went to Lowe’s today and bought a $15 broom. Got home cut it down to about 44” and shaped the bristles at an angle to sit on the floor better.

my 9 yo son says as he walks by, “are you practicing with a broom.” And just keeps going. 
Best and least expensive golf training tool I’ve ever bought. Now I just need to figure out if I can create a custom ferrule. 

I hope you added some hot melt after cutting it down to 44.

Lead tape doesn’t stick to the broom well. I would not recommend it. 

• Haha 1

Driver head cover shaped like a broom head. Do it. 

Another fantastic video from Monte. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* B1T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 14* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS2 5-GW DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 SNSR Pro

At the start of the year I was working on some Jake Hutt moves for fairway woods, and irons which are basically the same concept as Monte has here. So it's great to see my favorite coaches preaching the same ideas and pretty easy concepts to understand and implement.

for ref, some of Jake's stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_p-l1QF6-i

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hXURqlRKP

Jake Hutt, PGA (@jakehuttgolf) • Instagram photos and videos

Edited by i*windows
  • Like 1

Just recently started working through the first two drills in the series. The "roll it" drill with the broom and the "sweep it" drill with a club. Just the thought of starting the hands first has made quite a difference. By separating the body and arm movements with the above drills, I can really feel how these now SHOULD work in a good swing. Can even start to feel a wonderfully effortless, powerful synched up swing the first few full swings after working on the drills. It eventually falls apart, but so it goes. Just gotta keep grinding the drills and putting in the work.

Quick question for @MonteScheinblum. After doing the drills and then working them into a full swing, I'll occasionally completely miss the ball by swinging inside of it. Like a bad toe hit, but I'm so far inside I don't even hit the toe of the club, just completely miss the ball. As you know, my fault is spinning out my shoulders. On video I've always looked tied up at impact with my arms/hands and not much extension out to the ball. Is missing inside the ball as I described a result of now giving my arms/hands the room they need through impact because my sequencing is better with the drills but my body and mind are just accustomed to my old swing and compensations?

Edited by BigTerp1524

1 hour ago, i*windows said:

At the start of the year I was working on some Jake Hutt moves for fairway woods, and irons which are basically the same concept as Monte has here. So it's great to see my favorite coaches preaching the same ideas and pretty easy concepts to understand and implement.

for ref, some of Jake's stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_p-l1QF6-i

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hXURqlRKP

Jake Hutt, PGA (@jakehuttgolf) • Instagram photos and videos

Yup, saw it tried it but just didn't click. It's identical but it's not the broom. All you novices who want to improve buy the video and just do the plastic bottle drill. Vertical hinge is huge and that's what Jake was doing. With a golf club no bueno with a broom bueno. Getting broom on the ground behind the plastic bottle will be foreign to you all because of the vertical hinge. Best 19.99 you'll ever spend.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Just recently started working through the first two drills in the series. The "roll it" drill with the broom and the "sweep it" drill with a club. Just the thought of starting the hands first has made quite a difference. By separating the body and arm movements with the above drills, I can really feel how these now SHOULD work in a good swing. Can even start to feel a wonderfully effortless, powerful synched up swing the first few full swings after working on the drills. It eventually falls apart, but so it goes. Just gotta keep grinding the drills and putting in the work.

Quick question for @MonteScheinblum. After doing the drills and then working them into a full swing, I'll occasionally completely miss the ball by swinging inside of it. Like a bad toe hit, but I'm so far inside I don't even hit the toe of the club, just completely miss the ball. As you know, my fault is spinning out my shoulders. On video I've always looked tied up at impact with my arms/hands and not much extension out to the ball. Is missing inside the ball as I described a result of now giving my arms/hands the room they need through impact because my sequencing is better with the drills but my body and mind are just accustomed to my old swing and compensations?

Yes

• Like 1

Thank you for another great video series, Monte!

I have been working on NTC, though hitting a wall with progress.  The hockey drill, sledgehammer, and Monte's explanations about the timing of hips, arms, and hands clicked for me. 

Looking forward to more efficient practice and swings!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

41 minutes ago, BigTerp1524 said:

Plastic bottle drill. Vertical hinge will bring your shoulders back to square or closed as Monte says with flexion. Broom bristles all flat and behind bottle. It's the wait, wait, wait to that point that 99.9 % of us fail doing a full speed swing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kowalgolf said:

Plastic bottle drill. Vertical hinge will bring your shoulders back to square or closed as Monte says with flexion. Broom bristles all flat and behind bottle. It's the wait, wait, wait to that point that 99.9 % of us fail doing a full speed swing.

Yep!! I've been working with the NTC since January and a few live online lessons with Monte himself. This is, by far, the hardest thing for me to engrain. Broom Force is really putting it together for me though. I can really tell even with just a few sessions working with it.

I bought the NTC videos earlier this season and have put them to use quite well. I broke 90 for the first time ever and felt like I was making good progress, but have regressed over the past 6 weeks and haven't been able to break 100! It wouldn't be abnormal for me to shoot 100+ for a stretch here and there, but finally breaking 90 has upped my expectations.

I bought Broom Force last night without really knowing what was in them but I think these drills are exactly what I needed. I still have a tendency to fire the hips and just let the arms fall passively no matter how hard I try to get them moving. While the NTC drills got me on the right track, I believe I need these more exaggerated feels to get into a better position coming down.

BTW, are Jake Hutt and Monte buddies? I know they're both in California and their perspectives seem so similar that I'd be surprised if they weren't at least exchanging ideas. Maybe they're both just paying attention to the same research.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:48 AM, me05501 said:

In one of his other series Monte does a whole segment on how most people should end up in the middle of any range of possibilities.

I've been to a few of his clinics and he always says some variation of "The opposite of bad is also bad; good is somewhere in between."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HillbillyInBC said:

I've been to a few of his clinics and he always says some variation of "The opposite of bad is also bad; good is somewhere in between."

I don't know Monte personally, but that quote grabs the essence of everything I've read and watched from him over the years.  So good.  I did my best to quote it to my wife tonight and she looked at me like an idiot.  I know it's gold...

As for the U vs V concept: every day, all day, I'll take long and flat over short and steep.

• Like 2

Here is my question regarding Broomforce and in part NTC. @MonteScheinblum if you don’t mind may need you to chime in for a brief second here. My question is where do we draw the line between the Broomforce, specifically the speed section where we move the handle of the club up and left, and Cast B in NTC. I always feel Cast B to be fast and a slight right handed action, but in doing the Broomforce drills (especially in slow motion) and I am consciously trying to ingrained feels, moving the handle up and left does not seem to be the same feel as Cast B. 

I know feel isn’t real, but in turn doing the drills, simulating the long flat spot, and moving the handle up and left with intent of speed being past the ball feels more solid, in control and quite frankly more of powerful move than Cast B. Am I reading too much into this? Or are they two totally separate moves and feels? 

PXG 0811 X 9 degree with Ventus Black 6X

PXG 0341 XF 16.5 degree with Ventus Blue 7X

PXG 0311X Driving Iron 20 degree with KBS Hybrid Prototype 95X

PXG 0311 T 4 - P with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 60 with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack with Plumbers Neck

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, iceman1118 said:

Here is my question regarding Broomforce and in part NTC. @MonteScheinblum if you don’t mind may need you to chime in for a brief second here. My question is where do we draw the line between the Broomforce, specifically the speed section where we move the handle of the club up and left, and Cast B in NTC. I always feel Cast B to be fast and a slight right handed action, but in doing the Broomforce drills (especially in slow motion) and I am consciously trying to ingrained feels, moving the handle up and left does not seem to be the same feel as Cast B. 

I know feel isn’t real, but in turn doing the drills, simulating the long flat spot, and moving the handle up and left with intent of speed being past the ball feels more solid, in control and quite frankly more of powerful move than Cast B. Am I reading too much into this? Or are they two totally separate moves and feels? 

I may be off base but I'll quote Monte, Some.

41 minutes ago, kowalgolf said:

I may be off base but I'll quote Monte, Some.

Most likely you are entirely correct!

PXG 0811 X 9 degree with Ventus Black 6X

PXG 0341 XF 16.5 degree with Ventus Blue 7X

PXG 0311X Driving Iron 20 degree with KBS Hybrid Prototype 95X

PXG 0311 T 4 - P with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 60 with Nippon Modus Pro 120X

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack with Plumbers Neck

Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

I don't think cast B has to be a right handed action (at least not consciously), similar to shallowing with the wrists, for some its flexing the left hand, for others it's keeping the right extended. I have way too much right hand action in general and the broom force for whatever reason made it click can be a left hand focused action. Monte has always descried the golf swing be analogous to a left handed tennis backhand so it worked for me, I picked up 3-4 mph of ball speed with 7i focusing on the left hand and body. I don't think they are two different moves, same move but the broomforce component gets the body working with the arms

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I don't think cast B has to be a right handed action (at least not consciously), similar to shallowing with the wrists, for some its flexing the left hand, for others it's keeping the right extended. I have way too much right hand action in general and the broom force for whatever reason made it click can be a left hand focused action. Monte has always descried the golf swing be analogous to a left handed tennis backhand so it worked for me, I picked up 3-4 mph of ball speed with 7i focusing on the left hand and body. I don't think they are two different moves, same move but the broomforce component gets the body working with the arms

I wish I'd heard this years ago. As a lefty playing righty and a tennis player it would have been really helpful. 

• Like 1

I've spent all of 2 practice sessions working on just the first two drills from the series. Probably a total of less than 90 minutes. With the thought/intent of starting my hands first and unhinging the vertical hinge I've FINALLY managed to stop spinning out my shoulders early in the downswing. My work with the NTC since January and a few live online lessons with Monte certainly helped my issue(s) and laid the groundwork, but Broom Force finally got everything to click. Being my main fault, correcting my shoulders spinning out has started to help the other issues in my swing immediately.

Photo on right is from 2 weeks ago. Left is from last night during my 2nd practice session with Broom Force. Both are at impact. Still plenty of work to do, not just with my shoulders, but you can see the marked improvement in my shoulder rotation between the two. REALLY looking forward to diving further into the videos. Most optimistic I've been about improving my swing since I started this process 8 months ago. Thanks Monte!! 

20210916_073411-COLLAGE.jpg.cc4d9f64eb4a5ffbbe25425c7b022ffb.jpg 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GPF said:

Any senior golfers here give this a try? Wondering if this method would be suitable for a mid-capper approaching 60? Seems like this needs strong legs, hips and core.

I'm 72 and a mid-capper and I found if you get that vertical hinge right with the broom bristles flat behind the ball without opening the shoulders then send that plastic bottle as far as you want.