Monte’s new Broom Force

handdoc

I've been working on these drills indoors since I bought the videos a couple days ago and absolutely love them. As your classic self-taught hacker who's struggled for years with an over-the-top, spinning-out move, the drills made it immediately obvious to me that my body typically outraces my arms and I don't come anywhere close to accelerating past the ball. Even when I have good ballstriking days, my swing has never felt anywhere close to what I'm feeling in these drills.

As a pretty big believer in the NTC program, I can't help but feel like they make that series feel a bit incomplete. For example, the downswing portion of the sledgehammer drill would fit perfectly with NTC imho, especially if unhinging the wrists at the top isn't a dramatic enough feel for you. I would not blame Monte at all if he eventually combined the two into one program.

• Like 1

Ok..finally bought the video series and looked through it all. Makes sense and ties in with a lot of stuff gained especially from AMG + others.

Admittedly only one run through but a couple of observations.

Monte (as do AMG) says pros move hands/arms down at start of the transition faster than ams...but there seems to be no drills for this. The AmG guys suggest the drill that Rory does.

This is essentially the move to the table top position..but with speed. So a follow on from table top could be to do Rory drill and on last one swing through as per table top.

The other thing is that there is no real video showing putting all of it together.. admittedly the lesson stuff does a bit of this but only for some of the drills.

Lastly love to see Monte himself put it all together to show him hitting a ball (with a tracer on it).

Otherwise good stuff and think I will try to go to practice area a few times next week ..do drills as suggested...i.e few times and then full swing several times & repeat and rinse ... & Then play a few holes each time.

Excited!

Edited by Nickc

6 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Ok..finally bought the video series and looked through it all. Makes sense and ties in with a lot of stuff gained especially from AMG + others.

Monte (as do AMG) says pros move hands/arms down at start of the transition faster than ams...but there seems to be no drills for this. The AmG guys suggest the drill that Rory does.

This is essentially the move to the table top position..but with speed. So a follow on from table top could be to do Rory drill and on last one swing through as per table top.

The other thing is that there is no real video showing putting all of it together.. admittedly the lesson stuff does a bit of this but only for some of the drills.

Lastly love to see Monte himself put it all together to show him hitting a ball (with a tracer on it).

Otherwise good stuff and think I will try to go to practice area a few times next week ..do drills as suggested...i.e few times and then full swing several times & repeat and rinse ... & Then play a few holes each time.

Excited!

I found the Justin Rose drill in combination with Cast A revolutionary. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GPF said:

Any senior golfers here give this a try? Wondering if this method would be suitable for a mid-capper approaching 60? Seems like this needs strong legs, hips and core.

Without knowing anything about your swing or issues I'll simply say yes, you will improve. If you're willing to work at it and not expect an overnight change, it'll work great.

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

44 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Just a quick question. Monte says (+ even Brian Sparks amongst others) says the club speed should feel at is fastest in the follow through.after the ball...is this a "feel" of is it a fact..even after hitting the ball?

Ta.

Well, if you don't feel it that way, it will certainly never be a fact! 

Almost all of us give away our speed too soon. The goal is to give it away much later. Whether it's real or just a feel is sort of irrelevant IMO. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

52 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Well, if you don't feel it that way, it will certainly never be a fact! 

Almost all of us give away our speed too soon. The goal is to give it away much later. Whether it's real or just a feel is sort of irrelevant IMO. 

Ok then to ask it a different way ..someone somewhere (ok could look it up but feeling lazy) must have measured the point at which the club head (in a good/ideal/perfect) swing reaches its maximum speed/velocity.

No?

Edit: I can see that without a ball the club head might reach its peak after the point a ball would have been / i.e in the follow through.. but is this the case after hitting the ball? ..which might have the effect of slowing down the speed of the club head 

??

Genuinely interested!

Edited by Nickc
Edit bit

51 minutes ago, Nickc said:

Ok then to ask it a different way ..someone somewhere (ok could look it up but feeling lazy) must have measured the point at which the club head (in a good/ideal/perfect) swing reaches its maximum speed/velocity.

No?

Edit: I can see that without a ball the club head might reach its peak after the point a ball would have been / i.e in the follow through.. but is this the case after hitting the ball? ..which might have the effect of slowing down the speed of the club head 

??

Genuinely interested!

Impact slows the club significantly.  Trying to max clubhead speed post impact is all about intent rather than an achievable goal.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nickc said:

Just a quick question. Monte says (+ even Brian Sparks amongst others) says the club speed should feel at is fastest in the follow through.after the ball...is this a "feel" of is it a fact..even after hitting the ball?

Ta.

CHS is at its peak at around P6, I believe,  but feeling that it's later is essential. 

5 hours ago, Nickc said:

Excited!

I would argue that broom force is all about speeding up the hands and arms.

Think about the distance that the grip moves if you pin your left arm to your chest in transition and fire the lower body and/or shoulders. Now think of the distance the grip moves in transition if you keep the lower body and shoulders passive and just lower the club - much greater. Speed = distance / time and distance just increased ... a lot.

Edited by GolfTurkey

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I would argue that broom force is all about speeding up the hands and arms.

Think about the distance that the grip moves if you pin your left arm to your chest in transition and fire the lower body and/or shoulders. Now think of the distance the grip moves in transition if you keep the lower body and shoulders passive and just lower the club - much greater. Speed = distance / time and distance just increased ... a lot.

I agree, my feel is slamming the club head inside and behind the ball like Jake Hutt 3 wood drills, but it's a timing issue. Shoulders square when you hammer the club down then sweep the dirt. I hit a 3 wood today 250 yds. and I only hit my driver 210-230. It happens probably faster than you can blink. Your getting to your left side and at the same time trying to slam the club head inside and way behind the ball. Big time foreign move to me. But I did it and I'm 72 yrs. old.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kowalgolf said:

I agree, my feel is slamming the club head inside and behind the ball like Jake Hutt 3 wood drills, but it's a timing issue. Shoulders square when you hammer the club down then sweep the dirt. I hit a 3 wood today 250 yds. and I only hit my driver 210-230. It happens probably faster than you can blink. Your getting to your left side and at the same time trying to slam the club head inside and way behind the ball. Big time foreign move to me. But I did it and I'm 72 yrs. old.

Need to look through videos again re the slamming down bit...recollection was that for some of drills just lowered club down in position as first part of  drill..undoubtedly my bad.

Edited by Nickc

4 hours ago, Nickc said:

Need to look through videos again re the slamming down bit...recollection was that for some of drills just lowered club down in position as first part of  drill..undoubtedly my bad.

It's a feel for me. Like hitting a bunker shot club head 2-4 inches inside and behind ball. It's the wait, wait, wait that kills me. Sledge hammer drill and vertical unhinging gets the club shallow and in position to sweep. Your not really hitting the ground way behind the ball because your getting back into flexion and moving left. Sad part we were in a scramble with 263 to pin on par five. Five guys in our group, hit the best 3 wood of my life left with 13yd. chip/pitch. None of us could get the ball inside 10ft. Sad.

On 9/16/2021 at 4:57 AM, iceman1118 said:

Here is my question regarding Broomforce and in part NTC. @MonteScheinblum if you don’t mind may need you to chime in for a brief second here. My question is where do we draw the line between the Broomforce, specifically the speed section where we move the handle of the club up and left, and Cast B in NTC. I always feel Cast B to be fast and a slight right handed action, but in doing the Broomforce drills (especially in slow motion) and I am consciously trying to ingrained feels, moving the handle up and left does not seem to be the same feel as Cast B. 

I know feel isn’t real, but in turn doing the drills, simulating the long flat spot, and moving the handle up and left with intent of speed being past the ball feels more solid, in control and quite frankly more of powerful move than Cast B. Am I reading too much into this? Or are they two totally separate moves and feels? 

As crazy as it sounds, it’s the same move.

• Like 1

I finally got a chance to try some Broom Force on the range today. It was awesome but I have a question.

I did the sweep it drill with very good results. I'd say awesome results but you need to keep in mind I'm a 21 index, so awesome can be a low bar at times.

I then tried the countertop drill and I think I'm doing something wrong. I take a massive divot behind the ball. I think I only tried the drill 4 times because I was just gouging a trench to China. I did follow it with 10 full swings and again very solid contact for me.

For those of you who have done the countertop drill, have any of you experienced this? I know/assume this is highlighting a fault of some sort but I have no clue what it's telling me besides the fact I like to bury the club way behind the ball when trying this drill. I will rewatch the video in case I missed a step someplace with this drill.

Overall though, my first foray in Broom Force was a great success and really helped me do the down in transition followed by pushing up of the ground for the first time. Broom Force seems to be gold and my only 'complaint' is Monte didn't create it sooner 🙂 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bortass said:

I finally got a chance to try some Broom Force on the range today. It was awesome but I have a question.

I did the sweep it drill with very good results. I'd say awesome results but you need to keep in mind I'm a 21 index, so awesome can be a low bar at times.

I then tried the countertop drill and I think I'm doing something wrong. I take a massive divot behind the ball. I think I only tried the drill 4 times because I was just gouging a trench to China. I did follow it with 10 full swings and again very solid contact for me.

For those of you who have done the countertop drill, have any of you experienced this? I know/assume this is highlighting a fault of some sort but I have no clue what it's telling me besides the fact I like to bury the club way behind the ball when trying this drill. I will rewatch the video in case I missed a step someplace with this drill.

Overall though, my first foray in Broom Force was a great success and really helped me do the down in transition followed by pushing up of the ground for the first time. Broom Force seems to be gold and my only 'complaint' is Monte didn't create it sooner 🙂 .

Monte said you could do anything, horrible drill he says. Maybe dropping right shoulder or incorrect hand path, pressure not on front foot, early extension.

I've been playing pretty well with NTC.  Especially the irons.  But the driver was messy.  The table drill IMMEDIATELY solved that riddle.  Played today and have probably never hit my driver better.  Felt like I could pick out a blade of grass and fire to it.  Suspect I just didn't have a good visual to shallow the driver enough, where the irons could accommodate a steeper approach.

For me there are 3 critical things to master...vertical hinge, horizontal hinge and swinging the club on plane past impact.  I've never had more fun playing golf. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nickc said:

No, you could be right. Forces going in all different directions and how you fit that feel is different for everybody.

1 hour ago, JetPilot said:

I've been playing pretty well with NTC.  Especially the irons.  But the driver was messy.  The table drill IMMEDIATELY solved that riddle.  Played today and have probably never hit my driver better.  Felt like I could pick out a blade of grass and fire to it.  Suspect I just didn't have a good visual to shallow the driver enough, where the irons could accommodate a steeper approach.

For me there are 3 critical things to master...vertical hinge, horizontal hinge and swinging the club on plane past impact.  I've never had more fun playing golf. 

Don't know how old you are. I'm 72, you sound like a clone to me. So have fun and enjoy the journey.

Just turned 50.  Had a lot of success and consistency following Jim Hardy for a long time, but always felt like I was leaving distance in the bag.  My driver game never liked the Hardy method.  The wrist action with NTC, to me, fits nicely with what Hardy teaches however his insistence that the lead arm stay attached to the chest was a killer to me.  A huge key to unlock things for me was Monte Scheinblum’s advice to get the lead arm off the chest.  This was lottery ticket #1.  Lottery ticket #2 was the table drill.  This seems to put every club in a perfect delivery position to rip the club up a good plane.  

I’ve learned there’s a lot of nuanced feels in this game.  A lot of trial and error to find what works for me.  It’s been a fun, yet maddening and frustrating  journey…which makes today’s easy 74 very satisfying.

Being a perfectionist, golf actually hasn’t been much fun.  But where I’ve learned to really enjoy the game is managing the round.  Putting the ball in places to eliminate big numbers, not pulling off shots I can’t hit, and making pars the smart way.  

Edited by JetPilot

Finally purchased BroomForce - I own every Monte video. Another excellent video and great instruction, as always. A perfect compliment to other videos. I think there are some really good comments in this thread that helped add more texture to the video on questions I had. Really excited to try some of these out. I check the box as a Yanker, right shoulder dropper, and early-extender. I also have issues getting my arms in front of me at P6, which I think some of these will be perfect for. This is a really good thread - other than the people posting who have not bought the video or trying to learn all the content without actually buying the video. A great value for under $20.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

As crazy as it sounds, it’s the same move.

Nothing crazy about it. Just wanted to make sure I was not totally off base. Thanks Monte!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 2 8 Degree HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
3 Wood: TaylorMade SIM 2 Tensei Raw Blue X

3 Iron: TaylorMade SIM UDI Diamana Thump X 

4-P: Mizuno MP20 MMC C Taper 130X
Gap: Vokey SM8 50.8F C Taper 120S

Sand: Vokey SM8 54.10S C Taper 120S
Lob: Vokey SM8 58.10S C Taper 120S

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 with Stability 2 Polar 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

7 hours ago, JetPilot said:

Just turned 50.  Had a lot of success and consistency following Jim Hardy for a long time, but always felt like I was leaving distance in the bag.  My driver game never liked the Hardy method.  The wrist action with NTC, to me, fits nicely with what Hardy teaches however his insistence that the lead arm stay attached to the chest was a killer to me.  A huge key to unlock things for me was Monte Scheinblum’s advice to get the lead arm off the chest.  This was lottery ticket #1.  Lottery ticket #2 was the table drill.  This seems to put every club in a perfect delivery position to rip the club up a good plane.  

I’ve learned there’s a lot of nuanced feels in this game.  A lot of trial and error to find what works for me.  It’s been a fun, yet maddening and frustrating  journey…which makes today’s easy 74 very satisfying.

Being a perfectionist, golf actually hasn’t been much fun.  But where I’ve learned to really enjoy the game is managing the round.  Putting the ball in places to eliminate big numbers, not pulling off shots I can’t hit, and making pars the smart way.  

Separate left shoulder from chin in D for D video has been mine for years which I think is your #1. I'm also a perfectionist but there's no perfect in golf except 1-5 shots per round. Remember the good shots only, know how far you fly your irons within 10 yds. left or right doesn't matter if you can pitch and chip which is my problem currently. Enjoy your playing partners and tell them nice shot. Enjoyed your last paragraph except the golf and fun part. I know you didn't mean it because you sound like me and I'm 22 in front of you. Enjoy and have fun the next 22.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kowalgolf said:

Separate left shoulder from chin in D for D video has been mine for years which I think is your #1. I'm also a perfectionist but there's no perfect in golf except 1-5 shots per round. Remember the good shots only, know how far you fly your irons within 10 yds. left or right doesn't matter if you can pitch and chip which is my problem currently. Enjoy your playing partners and tell them nice shot. Enjoyed your last paragraph except the golf and fun part. I know you didn't mean it because you sound like me and I'm 22 in front of you. Enjoy and have fun the next 22.

Yes...your playing partners become brothers.  You're giving me hope for the next 22 years!

• Like 1

Hey, Monte quoted my Broom Force comments in his most recent email. I feel honored, flattered, and famous!

I finally took the drills to the range today and saw mixed results on full swings. Most shots were terrible but some were mind-blowingly good, like when I carried a range ball 250 yards.

One thing I noticed is if I swing the arms down fast from the top and let the body rotate through by itself (similar to the original NTC video from a decade ago) it somehow feels like very little effort overall compared to my old swing where I purposely try to unload my hips. I love it.

However, getting the arms down fast means it’s hard to feel like I’m swinging even faster past the ball. Should I be feeling “down fast, through faster” or something else?