Help me decide! 4W/7W/hybrid

layts14

17 minutes ago, layts14 said:

I have wondered about the 7w flight. Driver SS is around 108-110, but I like the idea of the low/low shaft like the RDX Black or Tensei White in the 80g range for the 7w to control launch and spin it a little better. I will look at those two in the 4w if I go that route as well. 

I have the RDX Black in my 4W & 7W right now granted both in the 70g range but its a nice low/low shaft. Eventually want to test an 80g shaft to see if dispersion gets better with the 7W (granted dispersion is better than any hybrid/di ive tried) 🤣

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Kinda new here but here goes.....I carry tsi2 9*, tsi2 4w-16.5* and 7w-21*, all with motorex f3 shafts.  Reading other posts it seems that a heavier shaft or a progression from lighter to heavier as loft goes up helps with dispersion....is there some links where I could read up on this?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

4w - you may find out you'll be hitting nearly as far as a 3w and start attacking par 5s

• Like 1

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

7W, I think the 4 wood would be similar to the 3w in your current set up. While I don't play a 7W, I am considering getting one because of the ability to bring it in high on the longer par 3 and attackable par 5s. Also, go for the heavier shaft to ease the transition into your woods. Good luck!

6 hours ago, MNDIVOT said:

Kinda new here but here goes.....I carry tsi2 9*, tsi2 4w-16.5* and 7w-21*, all with motorex f3 shafts.  Reading other posts it seems that a heavier shaft or a progression from lighter to heavier as loft goes up helps with dispersion....is there some links where I could read up on this?  Any help is appreciated

The heavier shaft is a consideration due to the amount of trimming required to get the shaft to get to 7w length. Head weight is also a consideration when getting into 7w length since the swing weight decreases with the shorter shaft. So depending on your feel and dispersion with your 7w, the shaft and head weight are something to look into if you are looking to make a change or test something out. 

19 hours ago, agood3putt said:

I have the RDX Black in my 4W & 7W right now granted both in the 70g range but its a nice low/low shaft. Eventually want to test an 80g shaft to see if dispersion gets better with the 7W (granted dispersion is better than any hybrid/di ive tried) 🤣

2 hours ago, Dirty_Birdie said:

7W, I think the 4 wood would be similar to the 3w in your current set up. While I don't play a 7W, I am considering getting one because of the ability to bring it in high on the longer par 3 and attackable par 5s. Also, go for the heavier shaft to ease the transition into your woods. Good luck!

Went with TSi2 21* fairway with an RDX Black 80g shaft! looking forward to testing this out! 

• Like 3

Stealth+ 9* @9.75, RDX Black 70g 6.5 | Stealth Plus 3W LAGP Trono 75x |Stealth Plus 5W RDX Black 80g 6.5 | 

G425 22@ 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | JPX 921 Forged Modus 105S | SM8 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

My TSi2 4 wood (16.5*) has been the most reliable fairway wood I have played recently, both off the tee, but also off the deck.  From there I go to Apex Pro 4 (23*) and 5 (26*) hybrids and both are easy to hit - feel iron like - and launch high enough to stop on the green.  Last year I played the TS2 7 wood, which I found easy to hit well, but hard to consistently stop on par 3's or short par 5's.  

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                    G430MAX SF 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W GD Tour AD XC 5R                           Gen 6P 3W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6XP 4H/5H/6H GD Tour AD HY 65R.          Fli-Hi Hybrid 23*/26* GD Tour AD HY 65R

P730 6-PW C-Taper 110R                                  P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

MG3 52/58 C-Taper 110R                                  SM9 55*S/59*T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Heavy                                                   Kevin Burns 9304

I'm in the middle of a 7w experiment.  After driver I carry a low spin adjustable head model 3w that I have bumped up to 16 degrees (4-wood-ish) loft.  From there I was carrying 3hy (20 degrees) and 4hy (23 degrees) and loved that combo for years but lately I was second guessing the 3hy.  I had started to get it turning too far left AND wasn't consistently hitting it high enough when I wanted to attack a par 5 in 2 from 220 range when 4w was just a bit too much club.

I recently picked up an Epic Speed 7w with an 85 gram X flex Aldila Rogue shaft.  It's only been a couple of rounds so far (and no range session) but I must say that right now the results are mixed.  I've probably used it for a total of 6 shots thus far (2 from the fairway and 4 from tee boxes) where I had traditionally played the 3hy.  In one sense it's mission accomplished in that it's definitely going higher than the 3hy and carrying roughly the same which is what I wanted on equal like strikes.  The negative is it's a bit too much of what I was looking for.  Off the tee I've hit two or three MOON BALLS that are just not the flight I'm looking for.  So high they came up too short and one plugged almost sub-earth on a wet fairway.  My disappointment with the Epic Speed line is it isn't adjustable so I'm stuck at 21 degrees.  I prefer my Flash Sub Zero 3w head that I can and have adjusted.  I wish I could bump it down to 20 degrees and see if that makes any difference.  I'll give it a few more rounds and some range sessions to see if I can learn to work with it because I love the idea.  But I may also just end up looking at going back to the 3hy maybe in a different head design or maybe a 5w and bumping it up in loft to 19 degrees.  I just don't want the club to get too tight with the 4w.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I’m considering going the 7W route too but I haven’t figured out my exact build yet.

I built a Cobra F7 3W last year at 42 inches with a 75G Diamana Thump shaft in it and it is money off the tee.

I’m conflicted between 5W lofted up a bit or 7W to replace hybrid. If I do the 7W, I’m thinking 41 inches but not sure between 75G and 85G shafts.

1 hour ago, ewe8523 said:

I’m considering going the 7W route too but I haven’t figured out my exact build yet.

I built a Cobra F7 3W last year at 42 inches with a 75G Diamana Thump shaft in it and it is money off the tee.

I’m conflicted between 5W lofted up a bit or 7W to replace hybrid. If I do the 7W, I’m thinking 41 inches but not sure between 75G and 85G shafts.

I can give you my feedback once I get mine with the 80g shaft. I will do some testing with lofted up 5w and the 7w. could come down to your preference between slightly open or closed face between lofting up/down on each respective head and if you are trying to avoid a left/right miss

Stealth+ 9* @9.75, RDX Black 70g 6.5 | Stealth Plus 3W LAGP Trono 75x |Stealth Plus 5W RDX Black 80g 6.5 | 

G425 22@ 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | JPX 921 Forged Modus 105S | SM8 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

18 minutes ago, layts14 said:

I can give you my feedback once I get mine with the 80g shaft. I will do some testing with lofted up 5w and the 7w. could come down to your preference between slightly open or closed face between lofting up/down on each respective head and if you are trying to avoid a left/right miss

I’m leaning towards the 7W now based upon what I’m looking to use it for - the occasional fairway shot out of a juicy lie and then a long par 3 on my course. I think the 5w would be too long. The question then becomes 75G or 85G shaft? The 75G in the 3 wood feels plenty heavy; not sure how the 1 inch shorter shaft and smaller head size on the 7W will impact my opinion of that though.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:51 PM, layts14 said:

I have wondered about the 7w flight. Driver SS is around 108-110, but I like the idea of the low/low shaft like the RDX Black or Tensei White in the 80g range for the 7w to control launch and spin it a little better. I will look at those two in the 4w if I go that route as well. 

It will all be in the eye of the beholder.  What I think is too high a flight, might be optimal for you.  That's the joy and pain of equipment and different strokes for different folks.

For years, I've wanted/tried to see if I could put a 5wd in the bag and possibly replace my 4i (or 22-23ish lofted club).  I end up not being happy each time and am not willing to try and invest more 'playing around' with shafts to find something a bit better than what I would have sourced for myself already at that time.

Ultimately, I am happy with my general set make up for the way I'm playing the the courses I currently play.  Of course, that may change, and more testing could very well be needed...

A Revolving Door

On 9/7/2021 at 1:46 AM, layts14 said:

Recently won a fairway metal or hybrid and struggling to choose what to get. Currently have driver, 3W, 5W, 23* hybrid. I am tempted to try a something new in the bag like a TSi2 4W or 7W. 

Other option is to upgrade the hybrid to a 24* TSi2 or a G425 26* hybrid to gap between 5i and 5W. 

Is it time to experiment with a new fairway loft? And if I go 7w, so I go 70g shaft like 3W and 5W or bump up to 80g since shaft length is decreasing? 

First time this year I’ve played a 4 wood and 7 wood(both Epic Speed for reference). I have a serious addiction with buying and trying golf clubs. But for the first time, maybe ever, I feel like someone would have to pry these out of my bag. I absolutely love the 4 wood. I feel like it’s the best of both worlds. Don’t give up much off the tee and the slightly higher loft makes it easier to hit off the fairway. The 7 wood is the most consistent club I’ve ever had(my GHIN is currently a .6 so a relatively decent player who slaps it around okay). But the 7 wood is automatic, people talk about a point and shoot club. This is that for me. To answer the other question. I went 60, 70 and 80 gram range.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, layts14 said:

At this point it’s really a chance to do some experimenting. Have always been curious about a 4w/7w combo. I enjoy my current set up, I just don’t hit 3w that often (occasional tee shots, almost never into par 5s), so figured why not try out something new. 

Of course, I would be replacing a fairway. 
1. 21* TSi2 would replace my 5W and I would loft the 3W up to 15.5/16 

2. I will drop my 3W for the 16.5* TSi2 lofted down to 15.5 and turn the 5W loft to 19.5. 

Another horse is the race as of today is a 24* Cobra King Tec hybrid w/GD AD DI to replace my TS2 23*

Good to know, 26* did seem high. Figured turning it down to 24.5 instead of turning a 22* up would be better. 22* may be the better option though it I go the G425 route 

I’d get a 7 wood with a shaft that is 1/2” long.  For me that makes it gap ok with a 3 wood.  I still like a 3 wood because I need a little extra distance into some par 3’s on my home course.

• Like 1

I have 2 Callaway 7 woods -a Steelhead and a Hawk Eye VFT. I have tried numerous hybrids to replace a 3 iron. But these two are the best.I have not tried any of the newer 7 woods but would be hard pressed to replace these two. Thet have the Callaway firm shaft. They are consistent in distance and accuracy. If you happen to see one at a garage sale buy it,

I agree with the sentiment that shorter/heavier seems to work really well. The shorter the stick, more likely to make better ball contact in my experience.

I think another thing to consider is where is the distance gap (let's just say 195)?  pick whatever club enables you to most consistently hit that gap.

Lastly, without knowing a whole lot about your game, don't necessarily rule out a Callaway Heavenwood. In the right situation for the right person, many people swear by them.

Im a hack so take this with a grain of salt.......

Went form d, 3w, 5w 7w 5i down to d, 4w, 3i down

Love the 4 wood and it replaced the 3 & 5 woods.

The 7 wood & 3 iron depend on the course I am playing and/or wind that day. Love hitting the 3 iron off the tee.

I tried hybrids but hooked them and then found an old 4 wood that I hit well. Then after looking at the forums I decided to get a matching 7 wood and I hit it great so I feel I'm set. After that is my 25 deg. 4 iron.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

i was having a hard time playing with taylor made fairway woods so i ditched my 3W, 5W & 4H

went back to play callaway, somehow they worked better for me, except for the driver

now i play 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 6 hybrid

i just cannot live without a that 3 wood distace and i have not found a hybrid that would do the same

changed my 5 wood for a 3 hybrid, it goes pretty much the same for me but i enjoy the hybrid height in certain shots much much better

my 6 hybrid is very easy to hi  and it just explodes off the face. it has been working pretty well par 3's of 170 - 185 

only see myself playing with more hybrids combos in the future

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus

On 9/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, hammergolf said:

I can tell you for me, putting a 7wd in the bag has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. Much better than my previous 3 hybrid. GREAT at coming out of the rough. I still carry a 4hy but I play 3wd, 7wd. I just hit shots with my 7 wood that I can’t hit with a hybrid. As crazy as it sounds, I look at my 7 we as a scoring club now. I’ve lost count how many birdies I’ve made with it. My playing partners hate to see it come out of the bag….

Couldn’t agree more

425 7 wood at 20* with 6g of hot melt has been my favourite club all year for versality 

Ventus 8x at 1.5” at 41.5” playing length and it’s so useful off the tee and even out of the rough.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:46 AM, layts14 said:

Recently won a fairway metal or hybrid and struggling to choose what to get. Currently have driver, 3W, 5W, 23* hybrid. I am tempted to try a something new in the bag like a TSi2 4W or 7W. 

Other option is to upgrade the hybrid to a 24* TSi2 or a G425 26* hybrid to gap between 5i and 5W. 

Is it time to experiment with a new fairway loft? And if I go 7w, so I go 70g shaft like 3W and 5W or bump up to 80g since shaft length is decreasing? 

A 4W is a great option instead of 3W & 5W, specially if it is adjustable as some fairways in the market are. With a 4W you'll get similar results as a 3W from the tee and much better flight from the fairway.

I recently changed my 3W for an adjustable 18º FW and I couldn't be happier. Also I decided not to play hybrids cause the excess of spin had me hitting shots all over the place. Instead I bought a 24º utility iron and the result was so great that I completed my setup with a 21º utility.

Now I have a great wood from the tee and the fairway, an excellent utility for long fairway shots and another utility for tight par 4s and stingers. Good luck!

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

On 9/7/2021 at 2:40 AM, azgreg said:

I play 4w/7w and they are the strongest clubs in my bag. I have lightweight but very low torque and tip stiff shafts, so they do not balloon at all and I hit them pretty much dead straight. I'm considering changing the 4w to 5w to get a higher launch from the fairway, but the 7w is perfect. 

Edited by pmarks01
Duplicate

I think you have to look at spin rates.  I am a higher spin player and struggle with a 22° hybrid.  I have been trying to figure out what clubs to use between my 13.5° three wood (225 carry) and my 5 iron (178-180 carry). Currently I have a 4 iron but that doesn’t carry much farther than my 5 iron and a 19° hybrid that flies 200-205.  I really need a 195 carry club and a 210 - maybe a 5 wood or 7 wood is the ticket and I adjust the 19° hybrid to 20.5°.  Thoughts on how far a 5 wood and 7 wood could carry?

1 hour ago, pmarks01 said:

Everything? Surely not the driver?!

Everything......except the putter, the putter has a titanium shaft in it.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Recently addressed this gap in my bag with a very unlikely club. TSi1 4H 20*, it’s larger size makes it play akin to a 7w but with a slightly different head shape. ADDI 95x, playing at 40.5”. Loving it as an approach club into par 5s. Also can be tweaked down to 19* with the collar shift from A to D and used as a tee club on a tight course. Don’t sleep on the TSi1 Hy!

Top of my bag:

TSi3 8*
TSi2 15*
TSi1 20*
T200 4i

F2A9E93E-53A5-464F-BB3D-23D54EA2553F.jpeg

CECB6DAF-0388-456B-894D-0FFE7D29BE04.jpeg

My Ping G400 7 wood is my go to club for second shots on Par 5’s.  I have more confidence in the 7 over the 5 wood and find the extra distance the 5 would give me is not worth the risk in most cases.  I also love the matching 9 wood and use that for 165 carry shots. My 5 wood carries 190-200, 7 wood 175 yards.

Edited by John76
  • Like 1

image.jpg.9f4f87ea8d4f9837f1fe571c91106d7e.jpgI like this thread…
Just built a G410 7 wood w/70g Tensei Pro Orange at 5 wood length.  I have it at 2* strong making it more of a 6 wood!  It’s the perfect 230 club. The Tensei lowers the spin enough to keep this thing ballooning.  That’s my fear with a 7 wood.  Could get chewed up in the wind.  Shaft is crucial with a higher lofted wood (IMO)

The other build was a Sim Ti 3w 70g Ventus Red at *1.5 weak making it closer to a 4 wood to promote a higher ball flight.  That Sim Ti has a hot face!!!  
Next up is a Sim 4 hybrid…still not sure about this club.  Has a bit of the left in it which I absolutely HATE.  Lol.  

image.jpg

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour X