ProV1 and mid handicappers???

DublAK2

I am a proud hacker who knows he is hardly good enough to play range balls. However I have several friends who shoot into the 80s regularly. They play ProV1s exclusively. In my opinion they aren't good enough to utilize the spin created by ProV1s, but what do I know, I stink.

Is it common that guys shooting 85 use tour balls? How good does one need to be to use a premium 3 piece + ball?

I wouldn't necessarily call an 80s shooter a mid-capper.  They're probably better than 90% of the golfers out there.

That said, nothing wrong with an 80s shooter playing a ProV1.  I think the distance you get from a tour quality ball these days is probably only marginally less than a non-urethane ball.  And the benefit from added spin around the greens more than offsets any loss of distance off the tee.  The only question becomes do you want to pay for the tour ball over the non-tour.  

• Like 3

Most players are looking for control around the greens, and  can benefit from a urethane ball. That said, golf ball choices are a very personal decision. Pro V 1 is a very solid choice.  

Edited by puttingmatt
  • Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Tour balls offer the player the widest range of shots since they are designed for the best players in the world.  As my club head speed decreased I turned more and more to surlyn covers to help me get the ball in the air.  For me the reduced short game options actually helped me because I new my ball had limited greenside spin.  I still play with a lot of less skilled guys who like the tour balls and there are ways to offset the cost if that is an issue.  I think a lot of guys want to play what the pros do which is their choice.  I don't mind beating them with my top flite HC and e12 contact which are my current starters. 

• Haha 1

Titleist did an experiment with groups of single digit and bogey level players. They played a round with a “performance” ball (NXT), and a round with V1’s.

The more skilled players score improved ~1.5 strokes. The bogey golfers improved by almost 4. The reasons were that with the NXT the high cappers almost never were able to hold greens on approach, and were far more likely to have recovery shots from missing GIR’s where the V1’s stopping ability was at it’s most important.

• Like 3

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

4 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

Titleist did an experiment with groups of single digit and bogey level players. They played a round with a “performance” ball (NXT), and a round with V1’s.

The more skilled players score improved ~1.5 strokes. The bogey golfers improved by almost 4. The reasons were that with the NXT the high cappers almost never were able to hold greens on approach, and were far more likely to have recovery shots from missing GIR’s where the V1’s stopping ability was at it’s most important.

Bogey level golfers can have that much fluctuation between 2 rounds regardless of ball choice. They could very easily have played 4 shots worse in the 2nd round with the ProV.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

That’s very interesting 

do you have a link to that?  I’d love to read more about that for sure. 

Yadi for President

I hit the ball high and can do so around the green, as needed, so the lower spin of surlyn gives me more predictability and variety. I rarely need to flight a low chip that bites, so I’ll keep my Pinnacle Rush all day long.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I typically shoot in the mid-80s.  Have been playing ProVs for the last 10 years I think.   Initially switched because I preferred the feel on my iron shots, but stayed due to the consistency in holding greens on approach shots.  I get "hop and stop" on anything from 6-iron down to wedges.

For those of you who balk at paying the premium prices - so do I.  I surf the 'bay for "gently used" ProVs and typically pay between $0.75 to $1 per ball, buying in bulk of 2-3 dozen at a time.  Some of them are basically brand new, some have a bit of discoloration, and some have a few scratches.  I used the "scratched" balls for par-3 tee shots over water.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

10 hours ago, DublAK2 said:

I am a proud hacker who knows he is hardly good enough to play range balls. However I have several friends who shoot into the 80s regularly. They play ProV1s exclusively. In my opinion they aren't good enough to utilize the spin created by ProV1s, but what do I know, I stink.

Is it common that guys shooting 85 use tour balls? How good does one need to be to use a premium 3 piece + ball?

It depends.  I shoot in the 80s regularly and I would say that many 80s golfers possess the ability to execute the same shots that most single digit handicappers can.  The issue is we aren't consistently executing them at the rate of a lower index player.  The biggest advantage I find premium urethane balls can give nearly any golfer over surlyn balls is dispersion.  Now if you hack the ball all over the place and frequently duff shots then it won't matter.  But if you are someone that can hit 10 mid irons shots at about the same distance-ish (within 10 yards of each other) in the same general direction on most shots you will find a more consistent dispersion pattern over the cheaper surlyn ball.  I also personally find I putt better with urethane balls.  I feel like on mid range putts with surlyn they can really jump off the face and get away from me.  With urethane I just feel a lot more control with the ball and can stay aggressive with my stroke.   

Again, it is important to find a ball that promotes confidence when you get one chance to hit a shot.  There is no question the tour level balls give the player options that less expensive balls do not. Each player needs to find the ball that lets them play their best.  The marketing used in golf tries to convince everyone that they will play better with a tour ball. That hasn’t been the case for me in my 50’s but every player is different.

I think every player that takes the game seriously should play a urethane cover 3 or 4 piece golf ball. Just in the same way that somebody that takes bowling seriously should have a custom drilled urethane ball rather than grabbing a trash ball of the rack of the lanes.

However I think people being stuck on ProV1 or TP5s need to reevaluate why they're spending $50 a dozen other than tour marketing.. Just play a Vice or a Snell, they're excellent balls, exactly the same as any $50 a dozen ball for half the price

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

This is hard to say. First, as jacob7071 said, I'm not so sure 85 is a mid-capper. I forget the exact stats, but only something like 25% of golfers ever break 100. Shooting 85 consistently (and not just as a one-time fluke) means you must have pretty good control of the basics - be able to work the ball a bit, have a solid understanding of your distances, be able to generate at least some spin, etc., etc. 

While someone that goes out three or four times a year and is lucky to ever break 120 (and there are a lot of them) won't likely see any difference between a high priced tour ball and the cheapest range ball, someone that can shoot in the 80s probably can make use of the materials and characteristics of something like the ProV1.

But at the end of the day, the real question isn't "what does my handicap look like" ... but rather, "what does my bank account look like" ... 🤨

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I’m yet to meet anyone who asks what ball

I’m playing. If I’m having a great round I may be asked on driver/irons/putter, but nobody has ever asked what ball I play. Let’s face it, outside of WRX nobody cares what you play, so play what you enjoy.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

15 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Plus, if a person can afford to pay for them and lose them and buy more, they can play what they like.  No different from someone that can't drive an expensive high performance car, damaging or crashing it and buying another.  It's NOT anyone's business to tell others what equipment they should play. 

This ^^. Yes, there's a certain level of skill and swing speed that come into play when matching the perfect ball but ultimately it comes down to price/performance management. If price isn't an option and you love the feel of ProV1s, play 'em. If knowing you're hitting a top quality ball works for you and gives you confidence, hit it. When I first would find the V1s and play them it would make me nervous since I didn't want to lose an expensive ball. I used to think that I "couldn't" benefit from playing a tour ball but ultimately the V1 is a pretty linear ball-- what you put in is what you get out with very few diminishing returns, and it does it consistently. Once I started finding more fairways and not hunting in the woods, ProV1s were a lot more accessible and I started to really enjoy the way they play.

• Like 4

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

5 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I’m yet to meet anyone who asks what ball

I’m playing. If I’m having a great round I may be asked on driver/irons/putter, but nobody has ever asked what ball I play. Let’s face it, outside of WRX nobody cares what you play, so play what you enjoy.

I've been asked and people where shocked to see I was playing a Kirkland 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

Honesty if they're not losing half a dozen a round then keep playing them. If they're comfortable with the ball and improving then playing the same ball will help. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Play the best ball you can afford that fits your game.

A 30 handicap isn't going to much improvement, if any, by playing a premium tour ball. On the other hand, a scratch or better will see their respective game deteriorate by playing a Volvik Crystal (or whatever similar ball you choose) by about one full stroke.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I generally play in the mid 80s and get through a round with 1 or 2 balls, worst case 3-4. Usually play Pro V1/X or ZStars. 

From say, 200 yards in (and particularly 100 yards in) I can’t imagine not playing a urethane ball. When I hit the green on my approach (about 7-9 times a round), I expect the ball to check and stick. When I miss the green and am chipping/pitching/hitting a bunker shot, I want a predictable amount of spin, and save for a bump and run generally not a lot of rollout.

We spend so much money on gear and so much time trying to improve, I think that anyone who can reasonably hope to break 90 needs to play a urethane ball for the best chance to score their best. New/used/titleist/zstars/tp5 etc etc. anything is likely better than a noodle!

22 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Let’s face it, outside of WRX nobody cares what you play, so play what you enjoy.

To be honest there are many here at WRX that doesn't care one whit what anyone else here plays. Play what equipment you want and don't worry about what anyone else thinks of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grm24 said:

To be honest there are many here at WRX that doesn't care one whit what anyone else here plays. Play what equipment you want and don't worry about what anyone else thinks of it.

Completely agree, but I have several friends that play certain clubs because they think people will be impressed or won’t play certain clubs/balls for fear of embarrassment. If it works then who cares what it is. 

Hell, my old man won two big club comps with callaway warbirds a few years back. To this day I don’t know how he did it and people scoffed at him for using them but he had his best season ever that year. That soon shut them all up.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 9/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, absoludicrous said:

Even when I was shooting in the 100’s, I can see a big difference with my approach shots and short game shots with a cheaper ball vs. a tour level ball. I don’t think handicap or typical score matter when deciding on whether to play a tour level ball.

I’ll make it easy to help decide if it’s worth it. Get to your 8i distance to the flag. Hit your 8i in with a cheaper ball and see where the divot is compared to where your ball finishes rolling out. Do the same with a tour ball. Do you see any difference as to where your ball ends up?

Hit a few short game shots like a pitch or chip shot with each ball. Do you see a difference between the two? 

If you don’t see a difference in both situations, play the cheaper ball. If you do see a difference, you need to decide if it’s worth the $$$. 

Yeah, but notice the golf ball manufacturer STILL WINS because you had to buy all those balls to perform the experiment?

Damn.  It just seems the entire golf industry is based on asking us to experiment (buy) to determine the best.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:37 PM, chippa13 said:

Bogey level golfers can have that much fluctuation between 2 rounds regardless of ball choice. They could very easily have played 4 shots worse in the 2nd round with the ProV.

That’s certainly true for a single player.  IIRC these were groups of 8, which were chosen to be statistically valid.

My thinking has been that there are groups of people who benefit more from “stopping power”. Those are very good players, where the increased accuracy gives better distance to pin numbers, those who play on courses with elevated or heavily guarded greens (my situation), and inconsistent players using GI and SGI irons, who would otherwise not be able to hold greens at all.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

On 9/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, Jeff58 said:

They should have tried it with a good "performance" ball rather than the NXT.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06